Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,791 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:22 AM

How Should I Pay My Tithe? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Should I Pay My Tithe? (15501 Views)

"I Just Increased My Tithe To 30 Percent, Satan Go And Die" - Apostle Suleman. / I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? / Should I Pay My Tithe Or Pay My Brother's School Fees? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Re: How Should I Pay My Tithe? by Dereformer(m): 9:08am On Nov 30, 2016
toye440:

lost sheep, I can see u my friend r possessed with d spirit of Gehazi, b careful before u contact Nemans disease, u HV ur eyes on what pastors do with d money. can u even hear urself pls I like to know ur church, I hope u r not a back bencher who always comes wen church is about to close.
seriously pls r u even a Christian.

All these rant because i told you tithe is irrelevant today.
Re: How Should I Pay My Tithe? by peterjero(m): 3:12pm On Apr 28, 2017
Moneycar:

I assume you are a PURE CHRISTIAN. Have you ever read that Jesus or the first disciples paid tithes? Have you ever seen the occurrence of paying tithes in the new testament?
Let's go thru the Bible a lil bit

Tithing is only talked about a few times in the New Testament, generally in discourses between Jesus and various Jews as a negative that they were placing ‘tithing’ above humility and truly serving God.

Luke 18:12 “I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’” This was part of the ‘Pharisee’s Prayer’, which was a self-promoting prayer about how ‘good’ he was, tithing, fasting, and obeying the civil law. Yet Jesus said it was not this man who would be justified, but rather the humble tax collector who acknowledged he was a sinner.

Matt 23:23 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others.”

The Jewish tithe was of the increase of their goods; animals, produce, oil, money, etc. Herbs and spices were one of these things, and could be weighed to determine what a tenth was. Jesus uses the example of herbs because they are something small and relatively unimportant. No one starves for lack of cumin. The Pharisees were exacting in making sure they tithed a tenth of every herb, but neglected the heart of the law. They were proud rather than humble, harsh rather than merciful, self-righteous rather than devoted to God.

The last references to the tithe in the New Testament are in Hebrews chapter 7. In Heb 7 it is described how Abraham, after winning a battle, tithed a tenth of the spoils to Melchizedek King of Salem. This chapter sets up how Melchizadek was a type of Priest-King looking forward to the fulfillment of the anti-type, the true Priest-King, Jesus Christ.

Beyond these few references in the discourses of Jesus to the Pharisees, and in Hebrews, tithing is not mentioned in the New Testament. There is a lot that can be inferred about it, however!

The New Testament shows a radically new way of looking at money and goods through a cheerful, charitable heart. Believers, as ‘children of the King’, are exempt from any taxes to support the King in Matt 17:24–27. All believers are now levites, priests in service of the church, and hence there is no ‘priestly caste’ that must be supported through tithes, as shown in I Pet 2:5-9. Various workers and missionaries of the early church, such as Paul and Priscilla and Aquila, worked to supplement any giving they received as Tent-Makers. This was unlike the Jewish Levites, who were forbidden from working. Believers are also individually ‘the temple of the Holy Spirit’ as mentioned in I Cor 3:16 and I Cor 6:16-19. Believers are also collectively the Temple, as mentioned in I Pet 2:5. Because believers are both priests and temple, under Jesus the High Priest, there is no longer a need for the tithe.

Rather than the ritual of the tithe, then, the New Testament promotes a whole life in service to God (Rom 12:1); giving that is cheerful and not by compulsion (II Cor 9:6–9); being aware and generous regarding the needy (Matt 5:42, Acts 2:44, Luke 12:33, Luke 6:38); contributing to the ministry of the church (I Tim 5:17–18); contributing in crisis like famine (I Cor 16:1–4, II Cor 8:1–3); and viewing money in general as merely an earthly tool that will eventually pass away.
Bros which church do you attend because I love your simple and detailed explanation of tithing. This is a topic that has made Christianity on the confused side.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

15 Amazing Things To Know About Good Friday / Why Jesus, The Son Of God, Is NOT An Angel / How Do You Feel When You Fall Under The Anointing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.