Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:01 AM

Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know (32010 Views)

7 Lessons In Hygiene Some Women Need To Learn / Personal Hygiene Tips For Women / Female Genital Mutilation: What You Need To Know As A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by chibuzor05(m): 11:19am On Oct 09, 2016
Many females portrays nonchalant attitudes concerning their genital health and hygiene, but such act is highly detrimental. The vagina is a complex environment of healthy bacteria, temperature, and moisture. Sometimes when one of these factors changes, the body’s natural balance can be disturbed and an infection can occur. This can be related to sexual activity, but there are lots of other reasons too. Routine hygiene is really important in preventing these infections, but remember, do not over-wash your vulva because this can throw your body chemistry off too!

Some people are naturally more prone (likely) to getting these infections than other people. Bacterial infections are common and generally easy to treat, but when left untreated they can lead to more serious conditions, especially if you are pregnant. So as a lady, it is proper to know your body and take good care of it!

As a woman, you should always remember that unusual discharge, itchiness, burning, soreness, and unusual foul odour of the vagina may result from a number of conditions,
including gonorrhea, chlamydia, trichomoniasis, BV (Bacteria vaginosis), yeast infections,
UTIs (Urinary tract infactions) and other infections, so it is important to get checked by a health care provider to make sure you get the right treatment.

Now, let us look at some common infections that affects the female genitals.

Common infections of the female genitals

1. Yeast infection
Yeast Infections are caused by an overgrowth of a fungus called candida that naturally lives in the body. Symptoms include itchiness and irritation of the vulva (outer vagina), and an odourless, lumpy white discharge. Not all women will have the same exact symptoms, so when in doubt: ask your healthcare provider.

It is healthy to wear “breathable” underwear (100% cotton!) and to use mild soap (avoid perfumes and dyes, as they can irritate the vagina) to wash the outside of the vagina. It is not necessary to wash the inside, in fact douching* can increase risk of infection. Antibiotics may also create imbalance in a woman’s flora (her body’s unique balance of healthy bacteria). Pregnant women are especially prone to getting yeast infections. You can treat yeast infections with an over-the-counter cream or prescription pills. However, it is always a good idea to check with your health care provider first. If you are sexually active, do not engage in sexual activity until the infection is totally cured, or your partner may contract it and re-infect you. Yeast infections are very common and are not usually sexually transmitted.

2. Urinary tract infection (UTI)
Urinary Tract Infections (UTI) are a common condition caused by bacteria in the urethra (where urine exits the body), and are characterized by a frequent urge to urinate (pee) and a painful burning during urination. Some women are more likely to get UTIs than others, and 1 out of 5 women are affected. It is healthy to urinate before an after sexual intercourse, as the flow of urine can help clear away bacteria that may have collected in the urethra. After using the restroom, you can wipe yourself from front to back (wiping away from the urethra) to avoid bringing bacteria from the anus toward the urethra. UTIs can be cured with antibiotics. Drinking water also helps. Recurrence is common. An untreated UTI may develop into a more severe condition if it spreads to the bladder and kidneys, so get treatment!

3. Bacterial vaginosis

Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is caused by an overgrowth of bacteria that naturally live in the vagina. While most women show no symptoms at all, BV can produce a fishy-smelling grey discharge. The risk of developing BV increases with: douching, cigarette smoking, or multiple partners (although a woman can develop BV without any sexual contact). BV is cured with antibiotics, in pill or gel form. Yogurt and probiotics also help. Recurrent symptoms are common. If you are sexually active, do not engage in sexual activity until the infection is totally cured and you’ve completed your prescription.

Douching - What females should be cautious of

A douche is any liquid a woman flushes into the vagina in order to “clean” the inside. In fact, it is not healthy to douche because it throws off the delicate balance of healthy bacteria in the vagina and can push harmful bacteria further into a woman’s body. Also, a douche can dry out and irritate the sensitive vaginal walls, which increases risk of abrasions (cuts and scratches) and infection. Also, anal douching is not recommended for women or men. The vagina cleans and lubricates itself daily by secreting a small amount of fluid called discharge. This keeps it healthy and clean. Discharge is clear or whitish and has a light scent. If your discharge is a very different color or smell from how it normally is, this may indicate an infection, when in doubt, it is advisable to ask a doctor.

You should stick to this routine

WEAR cotton underwear and dry clothes that aren’t too tight and never share underwear or bathing suits with other people
CHANGE out of wet bathing suit or work out clothing as soon as possible
WASH outside the vagina using mild soap only
DO NOT use a douche
AVOID sanitary sprays, suppositories, scented or coloured pads or tampons, and bubble bath or toilet paper that contains perfume
EAT a balanced diet and avoid excess sugars for optimal health and vaginal comfort
ABSTAIN from sexual activity until your infection is completely cured to avoid re-infecting yourself.

Although it is always a good idea to talk to your parents about your sexual health needs, it is not possible for every family. You do NOT need your parent or guardian’s permission to go to a public health or family planning clinic. As a female, your genital health should be of great concern to you, so make sure it is in the right state.

Source: http://www.naijahealthhub.com/2016/07/female-genital-health-and-hygiene.html

31 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by Tallesty1(m): 11:24am On Oct 09, 2016
Men are lucky, the only problem we have down there is public attention and being caught by the zipper but none of them is like that monthly visitor that comes when it likes and stays for 3+ days without the house owner's consent.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by chibuzor05(m): 11:27am On Oct 09, 2016
Tallesty1:
Men are lucky

heheheh, you think so? We have our own palava too grin

Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by Tallesty1(m): 11:29am On Oct 09, 2016
chibuzor05:

I know but imagine going for weeks without washing your head with cold water.

I will just go crazy like ladies

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by chibuzor05(m): 11:33am On Oct 09, 2016
Tallesty1:
I know but imagine going for weeks without washing your head with cold water.

I will just go crazy like ladies

I swear..it is good to be a man cool

Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by OlajumokeBread(f): 4:55pm On Oct 09, 2016
You can keep your vagina clean but you can't make a vagina not have the natural odor

Wash it for 100 year, it must have that peculiar scent, the scent that makes it a vagina

A hole that bleeds for 3 days every month and the inner cavity doesn't get washed

A male goat must smell like a male goat

Some women keeps it clean and it will always smell like vagina, others don't keep it clean and it smells like rotten fish

If you blindfold me and put a vagina close to my face, i will tell you immediately that there's a vagina close to my face

108 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by ngmgeek(m): 4:56pm On Oct 09, 2016
Beneficial to everyone. Men share with your wives. Health is wealth smiley

Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by Seunpaul01(m): 4:56pm On Oct 09, 2016
Am glad to be a male. Male have the better body to hold ailments or diseases.
I don't only dislike a smelly vagina but also the owner.

Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by nonStop6073: 4:56pm On Oct 09, 2016
Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by Olukokosir(m): 4:57pm On Oct 09, 2016
Its good to b a man... Wetn consign me wit yeast infection.... I dey bake bread wey I wan add yeast

Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by Bsideboi(m): 4:58pm On Oct 09, 2016
females .....Read careully abeg

embarassed

Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by yinchar(m): 4:58pm On Oct 09, 2016
[size=20pt]How did I get here?...... [/size]

Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by ephi123(f): 4:59pm On Oct 09, 2016
How come all the comments above are from guys?! cheesy

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by nsiazu: 4:59pm On Oct 09, 2016
HEAD
Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by Lilimax(f): 4:59pm On Oct 09, 2016
Very educative.!Thanks for sharing @ OP smiley.

Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by kingphilip(m): 5:01pm On Oct 09, 2016
Abeg make person summarize all this things

Me no read plenty things here o
Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by Nobody: 5:01pm On Oct 09, 2016
Nice one OP, I was listening to a radio programme yesterday. The Topic was "Is it good for a lady to apply perfume on her private part?" I need mature response please..
Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by Cutehector(m): 5:02pm On Oct 09, 2016
grin[size=20pt]The females are not commenting.[/size] grin

Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by KillerBeauty(f): 5:02pm On Oct 09, 2016
Good info
Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by OlajumokeBread(f): 5:02pm On Oct 09, 2016
chibuzor05:

Have you ever perceived the smell of a vagina on period ??

At least you can wash your dick but in females there's a hole in-between their legs that you can't Wash the inside and it bleeds every month
Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by Nobody: 5:04pm On Oct 09, 2016
ephi123:
How come all the comments above are from guys?! cheesy
Field day sweety! cheesy

Salute OP
Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by discman2k2(m): 5:04pm On Oct 09, 2016
chibuzor05:
Many females portrays nonchalant attitudes concerning their genital health and hygiene, but such act is highly detrimental. The vagina is a complex environment of healthy bacteria, temperature, and moisture. Sometimes when one of these factors changes, the body’s natural balance can be disturbed and an infection can occur. This can be related to sexual activity, but there are lots of other reasons too. Routine hygiene is really important in preventing these infections, but remember, do not over-wash your vulva because this can throw your body chemistry off too!

Some people are naturally more prone (likely) to getting these infections than other people. Bacterial infections are common and generally easy to treat, but when left untreated they can lead to more serious conditions, especially if you are pregnant. So as a lady, it is proper to know your body and take good care of it!

As a woman, you should always remember that unusual discharge, itchiness, burning, soreness, and unusual foul odour of the vagina may result from a number of conditions,
including gonorrhea, chlamydia, trichomoniasis, BV (Bacteria vaginosis), yeast infections,
UTIs (Urinary tract infactions) and other infections, so it is important to get checked by a health care provider to make sure you get the right treatment.

Now, let us look at some common infections that affects the female genitals.

Common infections of the female genitals

1. Yeast infection
Yeast Infections are caused by an overgrowth of a fungus called candida that naturally lives in the body. Symptoms include itchiness and irritation of the vulva (outer vagina), and an odourless, lumpy white discharge. Not all women will have the same exact symptoms, so when in doubt: ask your healthcare provider.

It is healthy to wear “breathable” underwear (100% cotton!) and to use mild soap (avoid perfumes and dyes, as they can irritate the vagina) to wash the outside of the vagina. It is not necessary to wash the inside, in fact douching* can increase risk of infection. Antibiotics may also create imbalance in a woman’s flora (her body’s unique balance of healthy bacteria). Pregnant women are especially prone to getting yeast infections. You can treat yeast infections with an over-the-counter cream or prescription pills. However, it is always a good idea to check with your health care provider first. If you are sexually active, do not engage in sexual activity until the infection is totally cured, or your partner may contract it and re-infect you. Yeast infections are very common and are not usually sexually transmitted.

2. Urinary tract infection (UTI)
Urinary Tract Infections (UTI) are a common condition caused by bacteria in the urethra (where urine exits the body), and are characterized by a frequent urge to urinate (pee) and a painful burning during urination. Some women are more likely to get UTIs than others, and 1 out of 5 women are affected. It is healthy to urinate before an after sexual intercourse, as the flow of urine can help clear away bacteria that may have collected in the urethra. After using the restroom, you can wipe yourself from front to back (wiping away from the urethra) to avoid bringing bacteria from the anus toward the urethra. UTIs can be cured with antibiotics. Drinking water also helps. Recurrence is common. An untreated UTI may develop into a more severe condition if it spreads to the bladder and kidneys, so get treatment!

3. Bacterial vaginosis

Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is caused by an overgrowth of bacteria that naturally live in the vagina. While most women show no symptoms at all, BV can produce a fishy-smelling grey discharge. The risk of developing BV increases with: douching, cigarette smoking, or multiple partners (although a woman can develop BV without any sexual contact). BV is cured with antibiotics, in pill or gel form. Yogurt and probiotics also help. Recurrent symptoms are common. If you are sexually active, do not engage in sexual activity until the infection is totally cured and you’ve completed your prescription.

Douching - What females should be cautious of

A douche is any liquid a woman flushes into the vagina in order to “clean” the inside. In fact, it is not healthy to douche because it throws off the delicate balance of healthy bacteria in the vagina and can push harmful bacteria further into a woman’s body. Also, a douche can dry out and irritate the sensitive vaginal walls, which increases risk of abrasions (cuts and scratches) and infection. Also, anal douching is not recommended for women or men. The vagina cleans and lubricates itself daily by secreting a small amount of fluid called discharge. This keeps it healthy and clean. Discharge is clear or whitish and has a light scent. If your discharge is a very different color or smell from how it normally is, this may indicate an infection, when in doubt, it is advisable to ask a doctor.

You should stick to this routine

WEAR cotton underwear and dry clothes that aren’t too tight and never share underwear or bathing suits with other people
CHANGE out of wet bathing suit or work out clothing as soon as possible
WASH outside the vagina using mild soap only
DO NOT use a douche
AVOID sanitary sprays, suppositories, scented or coloured pads or tampons, and bubble bath or toilet paper that contains perfume
EAT a balanced diet and avoid excess sugars for optimal health and vaginal comfort
ABSTAIN from sexual activity until your infection is completely cured to avoid re-infecting yourself.

Although it is always a good idea to talk to your parents about your sexual health needs, it is not possible for every family. You do NOT need your parent or guardian’s permission to go to a public health or family planning clinic. As a female, your genital health should be of great concern to you, so make sure it is in the right state.

Source: http://www.naijahealthhub.com/2016/07/female-genital-health-and-hygiene.html

Y e be say na only female genital health una dey always talk about? Men want leaen abot dia own too.

Sank u a sausand tyms (in Buharis voice)

Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by BrutalJab: 5:04pm On Oct 09, 2016
See as the thread dry...
All this dirty small girls won't come and read wetin go benefit dem now o.

Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by danbilbo(m): 5:04pm On Oct 09, 2016
What am I doing here biko?

Oh, I remember... I came to sell my bus. cheesy

18-seater commercial bus available here for just 750k

Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by Nobody: 5:05pm On Oct 09, 2016
What of smelly kit-kats like ehm ehm?
Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by jericco1(m): 5:06pm On Oct 09, 2016
Vagina have grade 1-2-3 respectively.... Depending on how one takes care of it
Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by themonk(m): 5:07pm On Oct 09, 2016
I need to share this link with someone undecided

Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by drstainlex: 5:08pm On Oct 09, 2016
Women get issue sha ooo...
You wash na problem: you nor wash na D.I.E

Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by Akalia(m): 5:09pm On Oct 09, 2016
Irritating thread.
Closes my noise and runs away embarassed
Re: Female Genital Health And Hygiene: What Females Should Know by OlajumokeBread(f): 5:10pm On Oct 09, 2016
themonk:
I need to share this link with someone undecided

To who ??

To your girlfriend ??

Sorry to disappoint you, all vagina smells

Young Man Who Survived Fatal Motor Accident Gets Killed By Malaria. Photos / 4 Simple Exercises To Help You Get Rid Of Belly Fat / A Sickler Shares How He Survives Sickle Cell Anemia (Photo)