Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,871 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:22 AM

Revealed: Children Inherit Their Intelligence From Their Mother Not Their Father - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Revealed: Children Inherit Their Intelligence From Their Mother Not Their Father (478 Views)

Family Gives Free Medical Treatment To Community To In Memory Of Their Mother / IVF Babies Can Inherit Father’s Infertility, Study Finds / How Do I Boost My Intelligence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Revealed: Children Inherit Their Intelligence From Their Mother Not Their Father by SoluB: 6:51am On Oct 10, 2016
A mother’s genetics determines how clever her children are, according to researchers, and the father makes no difference.

Women are more likely to transmit intelligence genes to their children because they are carried on the X chromosome and women have two of these, while men only have one.

But in addition to this, scientists now believe genes for advanced cognitive functions which are inherited from the father may be automatically deactivated.

A category of genes known as “conditioned genes” are thought to work only if they come from the mother in some cases and the father in other cases. Intelligence is believed to be among the conditioned genes that have to come from the mother.

Laboratory studies using genetically modified mice found that those with an extra dose of maternal genes developed bigger heads and brains, but had little bodies. Those with an extra dose of paternal genes had small brains and larger bodies.

Researchers identified cells that contained only maternal or paternal genes in six different parts of the mouse brains which controlled different cognitive functions, from eating habits to memory.

http://www.istylmagazine.com/lifestyle/children-inherit-their-intelligence-from-their-mother-not-their-father-say-scientists/

Re: Revealed: Children Inherit Their Intelligence From Their Mother Not Their Father by shamack: 6:53am On Oct 10, 2016
How come,,,make i go ask my papa who my real mama be,,,,,kos my mama sabi book well well,,but me,,,reverse is the case
Re: Revealed: Children Inherit Their Intelligence From Their Mother Not Their Father by Mologi(m): 6:55am On Oct 10, 2016
it be like say ..this week is FEMINIST week....

to make their head swell
Re: Revealed: Children Inherit Their Intelligence From Their Mother Not Their Father by Eggcelent(m): 6:57am On Oct 10, 2016
Hmmm. Men sure can't have it all their way

(1) (Reply)

Only Three Countries Left To Eradicate Polio Nigeria Among Them / 10 Reasons Why You Should Do Your Eye Checkup / Please I Need Your Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.