Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,174 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:04 AM

How To Transit From An ‘undesired Job’ To A Desired Career - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Transit From An ‘undesired Job’ To A Desired Career (489 Views)

Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? / Lady Quits Her £50k Job To Start Her Own Business, Buys Her 1st House At 25 / How I Resigned From My #55,000 Job To Become Self Employed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Transit From An ‘undesired Job’ To A Desired Career by sbm4real(m): 9:15pm On Oct 10, 2016
Culled from www.managementreview.com.ng

It is not uncommon to see individuals with a strong desire or passion for a career/business butstuck in a job or profession which they do not admire. Individuals in this situation often desire changebut because of the comfort, provision and other perks provided by their current careers or businesses, they find it very difficult to make the desired change which will give themhappiness in life in the long term. The size of income or influence in a current job may not provide a corresponding level of satisfaction to the job holder.

As a career coach, I have had many people ask me this question:

‘How do I make a transition without losing my current income or stepping down my lifestyle?’

I will attempt to answer this question in a broad manner so that it is applicable to other people asking similar questions.

It is important to mention upfront that proper planning and patienceis required for this transition.

1. What exactly do I desire? This is a fundamental question that an individual in this dilemma must ask himself/herself. It is a critical question that requires absolute honesty with oneself. Different things give us joy (not happiness) and it is important to understand the make-up of that in one’s life.

I know a lady that studied Computer Technology at undergraduate level but all she wants to do with her life is Catering and Events Management. Whenever she is making plans for her clients’ food and events, she is on top of her world and I always wonder – what is the attraction in Catering and Events Management? Isn’t it too stressful? Can’t she use that same time and energy to make more money doing something else? I came to a realization that she derives joy from that service whether or not she is paid to do it!

In a similar vein, individuals that desire to make a change from‘paying jobs’ to ‘desired jobs’ mustidentify their desired careers, businesses and endeavours. It is not strange to see people that desire a particular career simply because there are other people excelling in that career or because of the perks of the career. While this is not out of place, it is equally important to carefully identify your desires so as to avoid career fatigue in the future.

2. What do I require to get into the desired career, line of business, etc? A major obstacle for many is the qualifications or financial requirements to get into the desired career. While this is an obstacle, it can be surmounted.

For instance; a banker with 10 years experience but with a strong desire for Human Resources Management. There is probably no correlation between his/her course of study in the university and the desired career neither is there a correlation between his/her career and the desired career. It may not be easy to get an Human Resources Management job at the same level of 10 years experience and as such, there may be need for a temporary pay cut while making the transition.

In this instance, the individual needs to properly plan how to move from the current ‘undesired career’ to the ‘desired career’, and here are some practical planning steps:

Begin to save some money that can last you and your family during your transition period just in case you need to take a pay cut. This may sound scary and inconvenient but an individual that must make that transition must be ready to pay the sacrifices required. Interestingly, there may be no need for a pay cut or even any job loss. This is a precautionary step to ensure that you sustain your lifestyle during the career transition.Identify and pursue alternative sources of income so that you can become independent of your current income. Whether or not a career transition is under consideration, the national and global economy places a demand on individuals to have alternative streams of income. Additional streams of income may or may not necessarily be a big business but a source of income that can grow over time. The growth factor is an important factor when considering an alternative source of income.Acquire the education and skills required to transition into the ‘desired career’. Take a new degree; an advanced degree; a professional certification; relevant courses and training that will enhance your knowledge and competencies in the desired career. This also creates a networking opportunityparticularly when done intentionally. There may be qualifications, certifications or degrees that are required to enter into certain careers or businesses. This is quite challenging especially when current jobs and family schedules are very demanding. This is the point at which most people give up on the process.- so be mindful.Offer yourself for part-time and non-paying jobs in your desired career to gather experience and learn the ropes. This will make you more relevant when making the transition and the experience will surely count, reducing the need for drastic pay cut. This can be done during annual vacations or weekends.

We cannot shy away from the fact that this process is not an easy one and it requires determination, careful planning and patience. It requires altering our lives in the interim and taking up much more activities than necessary.

We cannot live all of our lives to make income for our family without actually living out our desires. It is totally acceptable to make sacrifices for our family and maintain a certain level of income but it is also critical that we fulfill our desires and live life to the fullest.

The Facts On Making The Transition:

#1. The actual transition is not as demanding as the process leading up to the transition. The actual transition will happen when the individual concerned feels the time is right and the necessary supporting elements are ready.

#2. For people transitioning from a paid employment to another, it is easier to manage. This is easier because you will go through an application process and get an offer letter before your current employment is terminated. As such, it is easy to determine whether or not the new job is suitable enough to make you quit the current job while for persons transitioning from a career to a business, it can be determined whether or not the new business is properly grounded or whether the supporting structures are matured enough to support the transition.

It is never an easy process to transition and it may take as much as several years to make it happen but it is worth the efforts. If you don’t try it, you won’t know whether or not you will succeed!

Culled from www.managementreview.com.ng

(1) (Reply)

Today's Tip On What You Can Do With Your Future / How Reliable Is Spectromas? / How Important Is Social Media Marketing To Your Small Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.