Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,488 members, 7,808,809 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:12 PM

Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" (25589 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Poses In Her Hometown In Abba, Anambra State / Make Me A Wife / Beyoncé Did Not Make Me Popular – Chimamanda Adichie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Shym3xx: 9:33am On Oct 11, 2016
demelza:
Erm... She will survive this one.
The Beyhive got bigger fish to fry, I think they will pass on her.

But she also attacked Bey by claiming her brand of feminism is different from Bey's. I think she's getting cocky for no reason, instead of appreciating the effort by Bey to expand her brand to a new fanbase. Bey is the type that doesn't say much but she can blackball anyone. Especially since Chimanmanda is more into entertainment and celebrity - than art.

This isn't her first time. I remember she once said she can't relate to AA struggle and speaking about black experience in America is something she is thinking about. Even if you can't relate to their struggle, it's either you read/learn about it - or just avoid the question. Her pride will be her downfall since she's not a great writer and she only got the push cos she wrote a story about war, since a lot of folks like dark stories about Africa. And the Achebe cosign also helped a great deal.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Apreel(f): 9:36am On Oct 11, 2016
Errmm. ..In as much as she has done well for herself as a woman(I applaud her) I don't like her type of feminism...its too serious biko
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by thedio(m): 9:39am On Oct 11, 2016
orlarbissy:
Ok, black is beautiful. Wait oooo she isn't black but chocolate, so wat should I say now?
chocolate is sweet
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by obinna58(m): 9:44am On Oct 11, 2016
and God is blessing her, now she is gaining more popularity don't know her before but now cool cool cool cool cool beautiful sexy smiles
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by nairamaniac: 9:58am On Oct 11, 2016
I used to be a fan of this woman until this very post. Is "music" not more popular than "literature"? especially in america.

BEYONCE would draw fame even to the POTUS, OBAMA.

She's just bring silly and ungrateful to other fields that attracts fame to her.

The chimpanzee, abi na chiamanda wan draw fame to Beyonce, rather than other way round.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by UIA04(f): 10:14am On Oct 11, 2016
goingape1:
just look at her!
go and divorce your husband and we shall know you are a true feminist.
nonsense woman
Did you even read the write up

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by UIA04(f): 10:16am On Oct 11, 2016
BuddhaPalm:

This ITK doesn't know anything about men.
Women are the only thing we talk about.
Because you have no future ambition

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by UjSizzle(f): 10:16am On Oct 11, 2016
Oildichotomy:
You are being sarcastic yeah?
Nope.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by czaratwork: 10:19am On Oct 11, 2016
Let us excuse her that she was granting an interview when she said this. If she was giving a speech or writing a novel, she will not contradict herself. Granted that she was already popular by virtue of her novels but beyonce made her more popular by allowing her write her song. This she confirmed by saying that she is getting interview invites (Isn't that enough evidence for her?) You know when you are good in English and you let it roll out of your mouth without control.

Meanwhile ILLUMINATI ALERT FOR BOTH OF THEM
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by UjSizzle(f): 10:22am On Oct 11, 2016
michael142:

Ingrate
Go jerk off a wall or something undecided
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by UjSizzle(f): 10:31am On Oct 11, 2016
czaratwork:
Let us excuse her that she was granting an interview when she said this. If she was giving a speech or writing a novel, she will not contradict herself. Granted that she was already popular by virtue of her novels but beyonce made her more popular by allowing her write her song. This she confirmed by saying that she is getting interview invites (Isn't that enough evidence for her?) You know when you are good in English and you let it roll out of your mouth without control.

Meanwhile ILLUMINATI ALERT FOR BOTH OF THEM
Bey did not make her popular. Among the 'reading' circle, Chimamanda is well known. Let's just say Bey 'extended' her audience to perhaps celebrity fan base.
And please, the interviews don't mean shiit. Elle Magazine is one of the popular mags in the west, and they've already granted her an interview a long time ago. She can't help that people aren't as into books as they are celebrity and pop culture.

Amanda is popular. Those other guys just love to take credit for anything black out of their ignorance.
She just had to set the record straight .

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by BuddhaPalm(m): 10:57am On Oct 11, 2016
UIA04:

Because you have no future ambition

My love, what good is ambition when we're all gonna leave it here and die?

If there be any glory to be had, it's in becoming a pússy worshiping hedonist...
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Caleycash(m): 11:22am On Oct 11, 2016
BuddhaPalm:

Believe me, if you talk about women all the time your got no responsibility... may be your just a teenager

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by OdenigboAroli(m): 11:47am On Oct 11, 2016
Shym3xx:

But she also attacked Bey by claiming her brand of feminism is different from Bey's. I think she's getting cocky for no reason, instead of appreciating the effort by Bey to expand her brand to a new fanbase. Bey is the type that doesn't say much but she can blackball anyone. Especially since Chimanmanda is more into entertainment and celebrity - than art.

This isn't her first time. I remember she once said she can't relate to AA struggle and speaking about black experience in America is something she is thinking about. Even if you can't relate to their struggle, it's either you read/learn about it - or just avoid the question. Her pride will be her downfall since she's not a great writer and she only got the push cos she wrote a story about war, since a lot of folks like dark stories about Africa. And the Achebe cosign also helped a great deal.

Chimamanda's form of feminism is different from what Beyonce is advocating for but I don't expect a daft,demented, hateful and a sad tribalistic ppussy like you to understand that. How can Beyonce who I am sure has never read a book up to 500 pages in her life "blackball" one of the best writers walking the planet today? Bbitch you are so reettarded! Beyonce reached out and used her intellectual property not the other way around ,you ffaaggot. Beyonce will be blessed to stand before one of the world best orator. Chimamanda's work brought her fame which gave her the celebrity status. Her novel ,half of a yellow sun has been adopted into a movie and her latest work ,Americana is about to follow suit.
Biitch , you are so pained because you have nothing to smile to...You have no father because your irresponsible mother decided it was ok to sleep with an agbero and here you are continuing where your worthless father stopped. You bastard have been battered here so many times by the Igbo boys and you are yet to recover , hence you lash out at any Igbo progress. I hope you don't die in your ghetto apartment in London,a miserable person.
She is not a great writer but she is winning all the awards,you bleeding ccuunt! I also didn' relate to the African American struggle until recently ,and she never used the word "can't" you bloody liar. All these is just because she is Igbo and making waves and doing it so beautifully with her natural hair. You will never achieve anything in your life if you stay online and keep attacking Igbos. And your hate won't stop us from making papers. Hate on bbiitch!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by fikfaknuel(f): 12:05pm On Oct 11, 2016
I love Adichie. But she stresses this feminism of a thing that it seems extremist.
Lemme speak like a person with little formal education now. If her FATHER didn't see her mother from afar and APPROACHED her, and they got MARRIED and gave BIRTH to her. Will she be spewing these?

I prefer the term Woman Rights better.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Shym3xx: 12:11pm On Oct 11, 2016
OdenigboAroli:

Chimamanda's form of feminism is different from what Beyonce is advocating for but I don't expect a daft,demented, hateful and a sad tribalistic ppussy like you to understand that. How can Beyonce who I am sure has never read a book up to 500 pages in her life "blackball" one of the best writers walking the planet today? Bbitch you are so reettarded! Beyonce reached out and used her intellectual property not the other way around ,you ffaaggot. Beyonce will be blessed to stand before one of the world best orator. Chimamanda's work brought her fame which gave her the celebrity status. Her novel ,half of a yellow sun has been adopted into a movie and her latest work ,Americana is about to follow suit.
Biitch , you are so pained because you have nothing to smile to...You have no father because your irresponsible mother decided it was ok to sleep with an agbero and here you are continuing where your worthless father stopped. You bastard have been battered here so many times by the Igbo boys and you are yet to recover , hence you lash out at any Igbo progress. I hope you don't die in your ghetto apartment in London,a miserable person.
She is not a great writer but she is winning all the awards,you bleeding ccuunt! I also didn' relate to the African American struggle until recently ,and she never used the word "can't" you bloody liar. All these is just because she is Igbo and making waves and doing it so beautifully with her natural hair. You will never achieve anything in your life if you stay online and keep attacking Igbos. And your hate won't stop us from making papers. Hate on bbiitch!

You're a dirty and hungry illiterate miscreant...and ya pictures have been spammed all over NL. So, I know how bummy you look and how ya life sucks.

You can seethe, cry, whinge, and get emotional all you want with ya miserable life - that won't change my point/opinion. She's not a great writer and also very uppity.

Beyonce took permission from her before she used her work. And she obliged and most likely got paid for it. Why didn't she say this when she asked her, but now that Bey has exposed to new fans? I guess she's feeling herself now and it is only a matter of time before they cut her to size.

Oh, when I said I like Christopher Okigbo's works and called him one of the most talented Nigerian writers ever - despite reading one of his works, you were all over my dyck like pubic hair. But cos I think Chimanmanda is a terrible writer, your dirt poor and scrounging illiterate arse is crying everywhere. Fvck ya life - I pee on ya existence. Effing despicable cannibal loool. Cry me a river!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by neocortex: 12:12pm On Oct 11, 2016
Chimamanda's millitant feminism is extreme even by the standards
of reasonable feminists.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:26pm On Oct 11, 2016
You have been dealt with and I love the reaction I got out of you. I love it when they feel it in their soul. Now,take your bbitch a.ss to bed and cry like you always do. ffuucking ffaaggot! ppussy a.ss nigga wanna act gangsta behind keyboards...lmao
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by BuddhaPalm(m): 12:38pm On Oct 11, 2016
Caleycash:
Believe me, if you talk about women all the time your got no responsibility... may be your just a teenager

Lol, here's an old post of yours: "Please Help,am Naive And Don't Know What To Do".

Become more like a teenager...
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by UjSizzle(f): 12:52pm On Oct 11, 2016
POLICECAP:

I rarely coment on nairaland anymore cos its now infiltrated by toddlers.
I was thrilled by ur comment and scrolling up to check the gender I became more thrilled. I really applaud ur intelligence.

@ topic. Any body who says queen B gave C.Amanda popularity has only exposed his/her poor reading culture period!
Thank you smiley

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by UjSizzle(f): 12:56pm On Oct 11, 2016
BuddhaPalm:

Lol, here's an old post of yours: "Please Help,am Naive And Don't Know What To Do".

Hmmm there you are. Wondered what happened to you and Shym3xx.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Shym3xx: 12:58pm On Oct 11, 2016
OdenigboAroli:
You have been dealt with and I love the reaction I got out of you. I love it when they feel it in their soul. Now,take your bbitch a.ss to bed and cry like you always do. ffuucking ffaaggot! ppussy a.ss nigga wanna act gangsta behind keyboards...lmao

Loool. Puzzy, stop masking how my post broke ya soul with faux laughter. It is evident in how you failed to quote me back, after running ya twitte-fingers lool.

You must be high on cow dung if you think the idiotic council flat etc. tripe would get to me, when 99% of black people from the UK lives through those flats lol. Especially from an ugly, wretched, diseased, and illiterate scrounger from a 3rd world shytehole where nothing works and fresh air, clean water, decent houses, good food etc., are a myth lol. If you think I'm a wannabe gangsta, come see me, so I can show you what being raised on Yellow Bricks and North Peckham estate council flats during an era when no one could walk past those estates once it's past 6pm without getting mugged loool. Don't be a puzzy lool.

I pee on ya life and we'll never be on the same level, you miserable and bummy sod. Ugly mofo lol.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Chukazu: 1:04pm On Oct 11, 2016
BuddhaPalm:

you and who?
any man who only talks about women is jobless, will sooner or later be sharing self-contain with" poverty. "
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Caleycash(m): 1:09pm On Oct 11, 2016
BuddhaPalm:

Hahahaha... you er not smart at all, rather you er very stupiid , that post depicts am not much inclined to girl matters... thats why I find it difficult approaching her. one secret I learnt, if you have money girls will be the ones discussing about you, go and get a responsible life and stop being stupiid idle. NB: An idle man is the devils workshop, you can't be busy at work and discussing about girls, lazy ass nigga!!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Nobody: 1:15pm On Oct 11, 2016
UjSizzle:
I love that she refused to allude growing popularity to Queen Bey. I mean, we knew Chimamanda of Purple Hibiscus and HOAYS already. We knew Chimamanda of the Tedtalk 'The dangers of a single story'. So why should the western world make assertions that Bey drove her into limelight when she didn't?

The best celebrities can do for each other is to 'recommend' the other's work by using it to further enhance their own work. And that's what Beyoncé did. In a sense they did something good for each other's career.

So screw all these white supremacists trying to make our home girl feel like she was nothing before the Queen grin I feel your pain. And I'm glad you refused to tolerate it.
After all Taylor Swift refused to tolerate the Kanye factor taking credit for her success tongue

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by TheGuy5: 1:27pm On Oct 11, 2016
You are intelligent

Oildichotomy:
I think Chimamanda got it wrong here though Why did she have to express disappointment if any? And she finally alluded to the fact she had lots of interviews after the song hit the market. Isn't that contradictory already?

To be fair, I was proud of her when I heard the song and it is one of the few Beyonce songs I personally downloaded cos of the Chimamanda Factor
She would have kept quiet and let it slide cos hate it or love it Beyonce helped her career in no small measure and not the other way round.

And what is the talk about women though! Even the spelling of woman had MAN in it, what did she expect they talk about!

Feminism trash!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Oahray: 1:29pm On Oct 11, 2016
Oh... There are different kinds of feminism now? Interesting!

Chimamanda got it wrong this time. There has always been one type of feminism and at the root it has always been about men. The rights of men have and would always be the yardstick with which the feminist measures herself and her progress. The men can do this and we can't. The men have this and we don't. They let a man do this and they didn't let a woman (never mind that they didn't let other men either).

She should relax on the Beyonce ish. She's coming across as jealous. People watch more than they read. Was anyone expecting people to go talk to Beyonce about Chimamanda? Women and their issues sef.

Beyonce didn't make you popular, she made you MORE popular!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by macof(m): 1:42pm On Oct 11, 2016
UjSizzle:
I love that she refused to allude growing popularity to Queen Bey. I mean, we knew Chimamanda of Purple Hibiscus and HOAYS already. We knew Chimamanda of the Tedtalk 'The dangers of a single story'. So why should the western world make assertions that Bey drove her into limelight when she didn't?

The best celebrities can do for each other is to 'recommend' the other's work by using it to further enhance their own work. And that's what Beyoncé did. In a sense they did something good for each other's career.

So screw all these white supremacists trying to make our home girl feel like she was nothing before the Queen grin I feel your pain. And I'm glad you refused to tolerate it.
After all Taylor Swift refused to tolerate the Kanye factor taking credit for her success tongue

grin grin you are a Nigerian of course you knew her...plus Nigerian schools recommend her book purple hibiscus

but Beyoncé let her name out further. . more listen to music than read books
and certainly more have known Chimamanda through that song than she was ever known before

Beyoncé is known to be supporter of black feminin power not white supremacy
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by macof(m): 1:52pm On Oct 11, 2016
Not one speech she makes that I don't see some silly talk

she complains women somehow relate what they do to men, so? The essence of our humanity is socialization, and that can only be at its best when both sexes relate to each other. as a man, I know when men sit and talk together, when men go out and in everything we do, we find ways to relate to women. .. one would think a good writer like that should be intelligent enough to realize certain fundamental human characters

women are of great necessity to men as men are to women. .. it's not a one way thing

even that speech Beyoncé added to her song is just full of shiit. She claims men are not pressured to aspire to marry. ..seriously
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by macof(m): 2:00pm On Oct 11, 2016
Mynd44:

This is the same way people allude Lamar Odom's fame to Khloe Kardashian
and aren't they right? without Khloe Kardashian, millions (including myself) won't know Lamar
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by karoenajemo(m): 2:05pm On Oct 11, 2016
undecided undecidedNa wa oh! What kind of fallacy is this, that when men sit to speak they dont talk about women "at all"? Come on, this is extreme feminism. If it is a mistake all men demand a public apology. For christ sake, we talk about this beautiful creatures both on negative basis or on positive basis everyday. Na wa oh. Wetin ona think?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Mynd44: 2:26pm On Oct 11, 2016
macof:

and aren't they right? without Khloe Kardashian, millions (including myself) won't know Lamar
Funny thing is that some of us dont know the Kardashians before they got hooked with sport stars

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What's Your Favorite Novel Of All Time? / Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" / Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.