Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,480 members, 7,781,426 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:13 PM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (246) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (757511 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) ... (1031) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 5:30pm On Sep 23, 2021
Like I stated, having watched some of her games in the CL and Portuguese women's league with Braga, wasn't altogether impressed.
Just don't see her being as good or better than the current options we have.
Hopefully, I am wrong, but it remains to be seen.
Schemerkhiz:

She's naturally an Attacking Midfielder who also love to play from the Flanks not an outright Striker..

At Braga then she plays majorly from the Left, Right or the Middle behind the Strikers..

2016 U20 she played as an Attacking Midfielder alongside Ogechi Ukwuoma, Onyebuchi Goodness pro to and during the World Cup then.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by marvin906(m): 5:44pm On Sep 23, 2021
Schemerkhiz:

It's her choice to play for Nigeria and the Father is even in support of her. I believe she chooses Spain due to the fact that Nigeria hasn't come for her..

I think she should contact the NFF, if she's serious
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 5:54pm On Sep 23, 2021
She is underage (16, I believe).
The NFF needs to reach out to her guardian and initiate discussions, not the other way around!
marvin906:

I think she should contact the NFF, if she's serious
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by marvin906(m): 6:44pm On Sep 23, 2021
AkinDS:
The NFF needs to reach out to her guardian and initiate discussions, not the other way around!

True..
Just wondering with Nigerians playing in Madrid, they should help her
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by CoolJulian: 10:43pm On Sep 23, 2021
timay:

Hopefully, we can discover good players from this set who will take over from the old legs in the falcon team. If we can get minimum of 5 good players to transit successfully into the falcons team in future, then we will continue to dominate Africa at least.

I very much doubt that these very ones can immediately take over from the "old legs," It'll take some time, years, even.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by CoolJulian: 10:55pm On Sep 23, 2021
GeneralDae:

Vivian Ikechuckwu is naturally a very good winger. It's what she played for Rivers Angels at the CAF qualifiers. Maybe we could try her there.
We need to study the games of this present U20 team to fish out some wingers, also Vivylopez should be called to the U20 side. She's always liking posts related to the super falcons and it seems she is very interested in Nigeria ( her mother's homeland).

I refuse to get carried away by those great moments during the South Africa match. Vivian is not good enough to lead at the wing in the Super falcons we envisage, this is not Rivers Angel's level of football, she needs lots of "polishing." She's good enough to be a substitute.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by CoolJulian: 11:16pm On Sep 23, 2021
AkinDS:
Now that's a lady I have a soft spot for! Love the way she glides in the midfield.
Don't know why Dennerby decided to do away with her, as she seemed to be on the ascendancy before he came.

My midfield candidates for the future will be:
1. Toni Payne
2. Rash Ajibade
3. Halimat Ayinde
4. Regina Otu
5. Christy Ucheibe
6. Esther Ijeoma Okoronkwo

Worthy mentions:
Joy Bokiri - Not really sold on her. Slightly below par for me in the ABC but might improve with her move to AIK.
a. Amarachi Okoronkwo - Could be a fantastic midfield player and a great passer of the ball. However, she makes a lot of bone-head mistakes which ultimately ruin her game. Hopefully, she can clean up her act, as she can become a really great midfielder. Wait and see.
b. Osare Igbinovia - I have a soft spot for her. Intelligent, skillful midfielder. Hope she has another opportunity to prove herself, as she is only 25. However, with a lot of up and coming players, who knows.
c. Debbie Abiodun - Great performance with Rivers Angels and currently in U20. Certainly one for the future.
d. Elish Sulola - Maybe (if she choses to play for Nigeria). Big, strong and smart kid.

I thought Ijeoma is a forward, I'd prefer she plays there, Ucheibe... I like it that she's young, and hope she impresses... For now, we wait till she shows up. Joy Bokiri was really impressive during her junior days, has played for some seasons in Europe, but I don't trust her yet, Amarachi is not young, I doubt she'll improve much, Igbinovia used to be my favorite player during her U20 days, came in to the senior team and seemed to be ready to take over from Okobi, then, boom..., she disappeared, who is Debbie Abiodun? As for Sulola, I doubt she's ready for the challenge yet.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 11:21pm On Sep 23, 2021
AkinDS:

She's 15yrs not 16..

She made history few weeks ago as the youngest player to debut in the Spanish Premier Iberdrola..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by CoolJulian: 11:25pm On Sep 23, 2021
AkinDS:
I don't.
She doesn't have the speed that a Toni Payne (Seville) or Iffy Onumonu (FC Gotham) bring to the table. Not to mention Vivian Ikechukwu. It will be a waste putting Ajibade on the flanks.
I will place those two ahead of her on the wings.

It's not all about the speed na... I like her trickery, she's developing her game seriously, like decision making, etc. Is Payne not supposed to be the bonafide attacking midfielder? Vivian is a substitute, not a starter, Isn't Onumonu a center forward? Besides, Ajibade is not that slow.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by CoolJulian: 11:35pm On Sep 23, 2021
Schemerkhiz:

Chinaza Uchendu is still recovering from ACL, I believe once she fully recover she would get her spot back...

This ACL is one of the most dangerous injury in Football, can take from 6months to about 2 years depending on the Severity.. Some times it might lead to the end of their career..

Example Ada Hergeberg of Lyon/Norway spent over 18months out of football because of ACL..

You really think she'll get her spot back? Throughout the time Dennerby used her, She didn't have much impact, was only used sparingly her new club before even she got injured. I like how she takes spot kick, though.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by CoolJulian: 11:41pm On Sep 23, 2021
GeneralDae:

Okobi, Oparanozie and Chikwelu still believe in holding on to the ball for long or dribbling. This style of football is getting outdated and this is coupled with the fact that they are no longer thesame skillful players they used to be. Esther Okoronkwo also plays thesame way, the difference is that due to her age she is way faster than them at the moment.
I agree with you and in my opinion, Oparanozie, Ordega, and Oshoala should play from the bench while Okobi and Chikwelu should be left out of some games.

Sorry, despite her limitations, Oshoala will always start, she's got a very important asset no one else on the team can match - PACE. The coach only has to find a way to fully exploit her pace.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by GeneralDae: 1:42am On Sep 24, 2021
CoolJulian:

I very much doubt that these very ones can immediately take over from the "old legs," It'll take some time, years, even.
The likes of Oparanozie, Ebere Orji, Okobi, Ordega, Chikwelu, Oshoala, were all good enough to take over from old legs right from their U20 days, heck they were much better then, so why can't we get at least 5 very good players from this set for reserves at least?

Although I'll admit that most of them played two U20 tournaments, but it has always been the culture of the falcons to rely on the youth teams ( especially U20) for supply of new players.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by GeneralDae: 1:55am On Sep 24, 2021
CoolJulian:

Sorry, despite her limitations, Oshoala will always start, she's got a very important asset no one else on the team can match - PACE. The coach only has to find a way to fully exploit her pace.
Yeah she can start or even come from the bench depending on the game and strategy.

She has pace but Barcelona has slowed down her game a bit because she doesn't have to do much but rely on very creative midfielders and wingers. She used her pace properly against Portugal in the summer series, but she had a really disappointing tournament in the Aisha Buhari cup even in terms of pace.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by solonnachi: 5:04am On Sep 24, 2021
South Africans are celebrating their 4-2 win over Nigeria on Dstv- Soccer Africa show as if they won the FIFA women world cup.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 6:10am On Sep 24, 2021
CoolJulian:

It's not all about the speed na... I like her trickery, she's developing her game seriously, like decision making, etc. Is Payne not supposed to be the bonafide attacking midfielder? Vivian is a substitute, not a starter, Isn't Onumonu a center forward? Besides, Ajibade is not that slow.

Ifeoma Onumonu can play any position upfront.. When US Carli Lloyd was off for the Olympics she was their (NY/NY Gotham FC) Center Forward but when Carli returned she was moved to the Right side.. but during the various game's she moves from center to right to left just like that.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 6:12am On Sep 24, 2021
solonnachi:
South Africans are celebrating their 4-2 win over Nigeria on Dstv- Soccer Africa show as if they won the FIFA women world cup.

One of the major reason I'm still angry the Superfalcons lost to them... It's as if they won the AWCON or the Women's World Cup..

Anyway the Superfalcons will surely bounce back and repay them in a hard way.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by timay(m): 8:00am On Sep 24, 2021
solonnachi:

What do you expect. That's the only thing in their history that is not named COSAFA cup, that they've won in a long time. And they beat Nigeria to do it grin grin
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 10:09am On Sep 24, 2021
Guys here's a little piece

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 10:10am On Sep 24, 2021

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 10:16am On Sep 24, 2021
Nigerian Football Legend Mercy Akide-Udoh reveals interest in Super Eagles Coaching job.

On Wednesday, the former African Women’s footballer of the year and two-time FIFA World Cup All-Star implied she could throw her hat in for the Super Eagles job.

While she, relatively, remains on the fringes of the Super Falcons job conversation, a team she represented for over a decade, Akide-Udoh welcomed the prospect of becoming the first Woman head Coach of a Men's National team.

#SuperFalcons #SuperEagles

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:18am On Sep 24, 2021
Schemerkhiz:

One of the major reason I'm still angry the Superfalcons lost to them... It's as if they won the AWCON or the Women's World Cup..

Anyway the Superfalcons will surely bounce back and repay them in a hard way.

They defeated Nigeria in Lagos and u expect them to be quiet grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 10:34am On Sep 24, 2021
They are stupid grin let's see if they can beat falcons at AWCON next year
solonnachi:
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 10:51am On Sep 24, 2021
Madam don reach Clubside oo

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by CoolJulian: 11:06am On Sep 24, 2021
Schemerkhiz:
Guys here's a little piece

As for that one guy supporting old players, eh... He's very annoying, he does not want our football to grow. Truth is, Chikwelu and Oparanozie are 'washed up,' Oparanozie can only be a substitute player, same as Ordega... Chikwelu... Seriously? An experienced player who is often taken to the cleaners by obscure, inexperienced players? sorry, such 'experience' is useless! And it's now even clear that Regina Otu is a great upgrade over her, Chikwelu should be shown the exit door as soon as possible. Ebi has not been bad, she can remain so the younger ones can learn from her, but must not always start.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by CoolJulian: 11:06am On Sep 24, 2021
Schemerkhiz:

Ifeoma Onumonu can play any position upfront.. When US Carli Lloyd was off for the Olympics she was their (NY/NY Gotham FC) Center Forward but when Carli returned she was moved to the Right side.. but during the various game's she moves from center to right to left just like that.

Nice!
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by CoolJulian: 11:11am On Sep 24, 2021
GeneralDae:

The likes of Oparanozie, Ebere Orji, Okobi, Ordega, Chikwelu, Oshoala, were all good enough to take over from old legs right from their U20 days, heck they were much better then, so why can't we get at least 5 very good players from this set for reserves at least?

Although I'll admit that most of them played two U20 tournaments, but it has always been the culture of the falcons to rely on the youth teams ( especially U20) for supply of new players.

I still doubt they can, anyway, there were many absent players, if we can just discover a few players from among the U20s to compete effectively at the midfield, full back, we'll be fine.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 10:35am On Sep 25, 2021
It’s Time To Make Sweeping Changes In The Super Falcons Squad After Aisha Buhari Cup Disaster

By Ademetan Abayomi September 25, 2021

It’s Time To Make Sweeping Changes In The Super Falcons Squad After Aisha Buhari Cup Disaster
There are traditionally three stages to the intimate familial relationship between a Nigeria football supporter and the national team.

The first stage is the dutiful stepchild: wide-eyed, grateful, tremulously in thrall to these manly invincibles. Then comes a middle period of cajoling big brotherdom, the years of tortured hope where anything seems possible and you just think if only the ladies could, you know, if they could only just, if the women could.

Finally, submerged beneath a coastal shelf of accumulated disappointments you enter the mother-in-law phase. Nothing makes you happy.

Nothing is ever good enough. We should have been Yankees instead – and don’t think we didn’t have offers.

In the past week I seem to have located another stage, a hidden fourth gear of Super Falcons fandom that is a little more well disposed, infused with an urge to forgive and forget, to hug these dear cowering creatures to your yolk-stained dressing gown. This state of benevolent senility is, I believe, a reaction to a new kind of rock bottom being reached. We lost 4-2 to South Africa at the Aisha Buhari Cup.

It doesn’t even matter when you read this article: the fact of Banyana Banyana’s fluent, domineering victory was already established long before the tournament. We know that Super Falcons didn’t have much of the ball at the Mobolaji Johnson Stadium.

This is perhaps understandable given that they played a fast side. But there is something else too, an unusual case of footballing symmetry.

In the win over Mali, the Super Falcons weren’t convincing until Monday Gift climbed off the bench to bag a brace. Our experienced players ran out of gas and clearly struggled.

Things have changed in women’s football. In the past we dominated African Football irrespective of the opposition. Now countries have bridged the gap.

This time, though, there are no excuses. It is all quite bracingly up front. It turns out you can revise for football: shorn up behind those teenage years of skill refinement. There is need to weed out some tired legs in the current Super Falcons squad.

There are greenshoots at the bottom end and there are lingering gilded thirtysomethings.

This is why we should perhaps just enjoy the collision of total opposites. Our own lost generation against the outright historical ascendancy of fast developing African sides, who have pretty much a free hit here.

The likes of Rasheedat Ajibade, Monday Gift and Chidinma Okeke should be made the bedrock of the new generation of Super Falcons team.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by solonnachi: 3:12pm On Sep 25, 2021
Any info on the latest score in the U20 FIFA Women world cup qualifier between Nigeria and CAR?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:59pm On Sep 25, 2021
Oshoala scored a brace against Valencia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKo6RZqNh-Q

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by GeneralDae: 4:44pm On Sep 25, 2021
solonnachi:
Any info on the latest score in the U20 FIFA Women world cup qualifier between Nigeria and CAR?
Halftime
CAR 0 Nigeria 4

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by solonnachi: 4:51pm On Sep 25, 2021
GeneralDae:

Halftime
CAR 0 Nigeria 4

Wow... Thank you very much. Please keep on giving us updates
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 4:58pm On Sep 25, 2021
Full time
Nig (7) CRA (0)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) ... (1031) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: AkinDS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.