Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,362 members, 7,780,986 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:58 AM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (272) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (757353 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) ... (1031) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 8:18am On Jan 07, 2022
Another Super Talent but she didn't stay long in the game..

Helen Ukaonu.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by kheny12(m): 12:55pm On Jan 07, 2022
Schemerkhiz:
Ngozi Okobi was among the 2010 U17 FIFA Women's World Cup discovery in Trinidad and Tobago alongside Fransisca Ordega, Loveth Ayila, Jane David, Ugo Njoku.

Their Goalkeeper then Amina Abu played in Belarus from the year 2012-2013 but didn't hear about her again...
I started watching female football since 2010 FIFA u 17 world cup in T and T.Our game against south Korea in the quarter final na war.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lakesidepapa(m): 1:04pm On Jan 07, 2022
kheny12:
I started watching female football since 2010 FIFA u 17 world cup in T and T.Our game against south Korea in the quarter final na war.

Peter Dedevdo first national assignment, it seems we won that match?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 3:56pm On Jan 07, 2022
Medical discharge.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by do4luv14(m): 4:10pm On Jan 07, 2022
kheny12:

IStarted watch way back, during the Omagbemi time, I watched Vera okolo too,

get one falcons Play name Akudo sabi cheesycheesycheesy
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by kheny12(m): 6:54pm On Jan 07, 2022
lakesidepapa:

Peter Dedevdo first national assignment, it seems we won that match?
They beat us 5-4 in the triller match.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 5:21am On Jan 08, 2022
kheny12:
They beat us 5-4 in the triller match.

The game ended in 6-5... Them Okobi, Ayila, tried that year Sha.

South Africa chop 10goals from Germany that year.... I felt pain for Germany when they got kicked out in the Quarter Final after them trash people 9zero and 10-1...
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by GeneralDae: 10:21am On Jan 08, 2022
Me I started watching female football in 2004 Olympics. The style of play of the Nkwocha's, Vera Okolo's, Akide's, and Mbuachu's was phenomenal. I watched our games against Japan and Germany. Going into the Afcon later that year 2004, I already knew the African teams there stood no chance even without Mercy Akide.
Strange as it may sound, I started following football keenly in 2004 though because of two teams in the world that caught my fancy then...

Arsenal Invincibles...2003/2004
The stylish super falcons....2004 era.

I didn't really pay much attention to the super eagles then surprisingly.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 11:53am On Jan 08, 2022
Reminiscing about how far female football has come in Nigeria, it's just sad where we are today (I'm particular about football administration and not talent).

Was speaking with someone yesterday, and I said to him, we as a nation have better odds winning the Women's World cup than we'll ever have winning the men's world cup. The ladies have consistently over the years dominated Africa, with the needed support they can replicate same sadly the support isn't there.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by GeneralDae: 12:02pm On Jan 08, 2022
lovewins:
Reminiscing about how far female football has come in Nigeria, it's just sad where we are today (I'm particular about football administration and not talent).

Was speaking with someone yesterday, and I said to him, we as a nation have better odds winning the Women's World cup than we'll ever have winning the men's world cup. The ladies have consistently over the years dominated Africa, with the needed support they can replicate same sadly the support isn't there.

The support is there now but it came too late, it came at a time when we no longer majorly depend on new talents from our league and grassroots. We need to go back to the youth competitions and grassroots and also concentrate on our U17's and U20's.

This is how the Akide's and Nkwocha's and even the Chikwelu's were discovered.
Amaju's style is to focus on foreign born players. While that is good, our youth teams have not been so strong since 2014.

I agree with you, Super falcons have a higher chance of winning the World Cup before the Super Eagles.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 1:23pm On Jan 08, 2022
GeneralDae:

The support is there now but it came too late, it came at a time when we no longer majorly depend on new talents from our league and grassroots. We need to go back to the youth competitions and grassroots and also concentrate on our U17's and U20's.

This is how the Akide's and Nkwocha's and even the Chikwelu's were discovered.
Amaju's style is to focus on foreign born players. While that is good, our youth teams have not been so strong since 2014.

I agree with you, Super falcons have a higher chance of winning the World Cup before the Super Eagles.

I should have been more specific, but I contextually meant support on the home front. Like you rightly mentioned, age grade football has declined since 2014 (sadly this isn't just peculiar to the female teams). The Amaju led board have primarily focused on the Super Eagles, the falcons have also seen sole support but football development in general has suffered
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 2:19pm On Jan 08, 2022
This was my introduction to women's football. Lagos '89 took place right beside my house and the organisers did not think that women's football would draw such a large crowd, therefore they only deployed a few unarmed policemen for crowd control. However, Lagos, Bendel and Rivers states attracted a large number of people and there were many fights in the arena. They had to deploy mounted policemen at the latter stages of the competition.

My dad asked Westerhof to take a look at the Super Falcons and Westerhof said that what they really needed was a fitness trainer. Jo Bonfere was deployed to take charge of the team and the difference was clear.

naptu2:
Women's football was not really taken seriously in the 1970s and '80s. What came to people's minds when you said "women's football" were comical matches that did not really comply with the rules of the game. They were novelty games that were played for comic relief, rather than real competitive matches. The situation was the same in most countries, but women's football was serious business in Scandinavia.

Then in 1989 FIFA decided to create a women's world cup (the first tournament was held in 1991) and Nigeria also decided to take women's football seriously.

So women's football was included in the 1989 National Sports Festival in Lagos. I went to watch most of the matches.

There was a huge gulf in class between the teams from Lagos, Bendel and Rivers and the other teams in the competition. Lagos, Bendel and Rivers were far better than all the other teams and none of the other teams could compete with them. The other teams looked like jokers.

Spectators who didn't think that women's football could be as interesting as men's football felt justified when they saw most of the teams play, but were totally shocked when they saw Lagos, Bendel and Rivers. Their players were very fit, trim and athletic (unlike players from other states). They could run, dribble and shoot very well.

Word spread quickly and the arena was always full when these three teams were playing. They beat the other states by 4 or more goals margin. Why were these three states so much better than the others?

Well, I didn't find out until the first women's national team, league and FA cup were organised in the early 1990s. Basically, these three states already had good female football clubs and the state teams were made up of players from these clubs.

Lagos State was basically made up of Jegede Babes players, Bendel State was the same as Ufuoma Babes of Benin and Rivers State was represented by players from Larry's Angels. These three teams dominated nigerian female football in the early 1990s.

naptu2:

There was once a time that female football was not taken seriously in Nigeria. It was seen as a novelty and so you had novelty football matches between men and women in which the women were allowed to break all the rules of the game. It was done more for comic relief than for its entertainment value as a competitive sport.

My introduction to proper female football came in 1989. Lagos State hosted the National Sports Festival and the female football event took place in a venue that was not far from my house. So I walked there every evening to watch the matches.

There were three states that stood out from the rest, Lagos, Bendel and Rivers. The other teams were totally terrible, their players were not fit and they looked like comedians, but Lagos, Bendel and Rivers had proper football teams. The crowd had never seen women play football so well and those three teams had huge support among them. The three teams beat other teams with huge margins like 5-0 and 10-0.

I later found out why those three states were so good. They were the three states that had proper women's football clubs. Lagos State was basically the Jegede Babes team (owned by Princess Bola Jegede), Rivers State was made up of Larry's Angels players and Bendel State was made up of players from Ufuoma Babes.

(Some of the players that I saw in 1989 later went on to become superstars with the Super Falcons, but they were totally unknown back in '89).

The owner of Larry's Angels was Chief Larry Eze.

The Rivers State Government bought over the team many years later and they became known as Rivers Angels.

Chief Larry Eze discovered a lot of stars for Nigeria, for example, he convinced a young secondary school girl named Perpetua Nkwocha to play for Larry's Angels and she later became a superstar.

May his soul rest in peace.

naptu2:
The junior teams continued to impress, but something had to be done about the Green Eagles.

The name was changed (with the help of Segun Odegbami) because it was felt that there's no such thing as a green eagle and Chief brought Westerhof to Nigeria.

Pity the Wonder Boy. He had qualified Nigeria for Maroc '88, then a foreigner (Manfred Horner) had been brought in to boss him. He once again had the chance to qualify Nigeria for a major tournament (Italia '90) when another foreigner was brought in to boss him (despite the fact that he had often had to use his own funds to hire buses to convey the Eagles to and from training). He wasn't happy and so there was the Yaounde disaster. The Wonder Boy left and eventually the Chairman came on board.

Old Man asked Westerhof to take a look at the female national team. They had been invited to the first ever female World Cup, China '91 and Old Man didn't want them to be disgraced. Westerhof took a look at them and said that what they really needed was a fitness trainer. He said that they were in really bad condition and they needed someone that would improve their physical conditioning. So he brought a fitness trainer called Johannes Bonfrere. The first test was a two-legged friendly series against the Dutch National Team. The Falcons were thrashed 5-0 at the National Stadium in Lagos. A week later, they lost 1-0 at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium in Enugu. There had been some improvement.

Westerhof asked the NFA to allow Bonfrere to join the coaching staff of the Super Eagles, but the NFA rejected his request because it did not have enough money to pay Bonfrere. Westerhof (backed by Chief's financial muscle) offered to pay Bonfrere's salary. The NFA accepted his offer. The Eagles complained after their first training session with Bonfrere. It was too demanding grin

naptu2:
My 4pm memories.

I went to that field every 4pm to see superstars before they became superstars. I saw Sabara live in 1984/85 before he won the World Cup. I watched NNB train live. I saw Amodu Shuaibu live in 1989/1990 (when he was still the enemy). I watched the players of Jegede Babes, Ufuoma Babes, Larry's Angels compete at Lagos '89, before the Nigerian Women's League was officially established.

I also saw the Algerians train during Nigeria 1980 (though, of course, they were already stars).

All of that was part of my 4pm entertainment.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Banuso99: 7:58pm On Jan 08, 2022
A goal for Asisat Oshoala today on her return from injury.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naijaseeker: 5:54am On Jan 09, 2022
Schemerkhiz:
Another Super Talent but she didn't stay long in the game..

Helen Ukaonu.

She was exceptional but she simply disappeared.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 6:29am On Jan 10, 2022
naijaseeker:

She was exceptional but she simply disappeared.

Hahaha... This her disappearance is proudly Sponsored by her Husband and kids..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naijaseeker: 3:41am On Jan 11, 2022
Schemerkhiz:

Hahaha... This her disappearance is proudly Sponsored by her Husband and kids..

Are you sure, anyway, I am happy for her. I will welcome any updates actually
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 9:59am On Jan 12, 2022
naijaseeker:

Are you sure, anyway, I am happy for her. I will welcome any updates actually

Sure ke..

Confirmed by her fellow footballer na who's also a veteran Superfalcon.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 5:09pm On Jan 12, 2022
Rasheedat Ajibade!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naijaseeker: 5:23am On Jan 13, 2022
Schemerkhiz:

Sure ke..

Confirmed by her fellow footballer na who's also a veteran Superfalcon.

She was extremely excellent in12. Recall her goal against the USA? I always wondered if Nigeria was so daft to simply forget such talent.

Anyway our loss.So happy for her
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 6:44am On Jan 16, 2022
Overlapping runs and Aggressive Defending...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 6:45am On Jan 16, 2022
Patricia George..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 6:11pm On Jan 16, 2022
THE IFFHS AWARD 2021 TO LIGUE 1 FRANCE

England's Women Super League, winner of the first IFFHS Award THE WOMEN'S WORLD BEST NATIONAL LEAGUE in 2020, took only the second place in 2021 ! The Ligue 1 of France is the Winner of the Award 2021, due particularly to the results of the two dominating clubs Olympique Lyonnais and Paris SG. Third place for the Primera Division in Spain with the World's Best club FC Barcelona.

THE RANKING 2021

Rank League Country Points

1. Division 1 France 85
2. Women's Super League England 70
3. Primera Division Spain 50
4. National Women's Soccer League USA 30
5. Bundesliga Germany 20
6. Serie A Brazil 15
7. Serie A Italy 10
8. W League

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 6:14pm On Jan 16, 2022
Superfalcon Midfielder and her Husband Looking Hmmmmmm ���

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 9:52pm On Jan 17, 2022
FIFA ona try����

So no space for Alexia putellas, Hermaso and Kerr in the FIFA Women's Pro 11 but they Made the top 3...

FIFA FIFA...

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 12:11pm On Jan 18, 2022
Ashleigh Plumptre Named in WSL team of the Week...

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 9:03pm On Jan 19, 2022
Schemerkhiz:
Superfalcon Midfielder and her Husband Looking Hmmmmmm ���
her name please?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 9:39am On Jan 20, 2022
mostob:
her name please?

Ngozi Okobi Oke-Oghene

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 9:51am On Jan 20, 2022
Where's Superfalcons Left Back Ngozi Ebere??

The last time the 30yrs old played for the Superfalcons was during the return leg of the 2020 Olympics game qualifying game against CIV in Lagos...

Have known her to be one of Superfalcons most Confident Player, who have always held her ground against any opponent.. The Best Penalty taker in the Superfalcon, She never panic neither have she missed anyone...!!

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 9:57am On Jan 20, 2022
Though she wasn't one of the quickest as a fullback her qualities have always been felt on and off the pitch..

A good setpiece taker

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 11:38pm On Jan 20, 2022
Spanish Primera Iberdola outfit Real Betis has completed the signings of Nigerian striking duo of Rinsola Babajide and Roosa Ariyo from English side Brighton and Spanish rivals Tenerife on permanent deals.

Babajide, who was on loan at Brighton sealed her switch to the Spanish outfit following the mutual termination of her contract with parent club Liverpool, where she has been since 2018, scoring 21 goals in 58 appearances.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Banuso99: 4:14am On Jan 21, 2022
Schemerkhiz:
Spanish Primera Iberdola outfit Real Betis has completed the signings of Nigerian striking duo of Rinsola Babajide and Roosa Ariyo from English side Brighton and Spanish rivals Tenerife on permanent deals.

Babajide, who was on loan at Brighton sealed her switch to the Spanish outfit following the mutual termination of her contract with parent club Liverpool, where she has been since 2018, scoring 21 goals in 58 appearances.

Good news.

(1) (2) (3) ... (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) ... (1031) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.