Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,445 members, 7,808,592 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:55 PM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (792991 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (1068) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by robosky02(m): 10:46am On Nov 30, 2016
my fear

the finals may be decided in the dressing room an not the pitch?

why

Issa Hayatou will want to do all to outsmart Amaju Pinnick

but our girls MUST keep their head up to face all antics sad

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by chrisooblog: 10:50am On Nov 30, 2016
yeah coach omagbemi needs to up her game tactics wise. it was just our girls sheer athleticism and superior talent that saw us through. cameroonians will be baying for blood but God pass them.

by the way ordega is bae kiss see how she just dey catwalk her fine self when dem sub am cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by kilo4sure: 11:38am On Nov 30, 2016
chrisooblog:
yeah coach omagbemi needs to up her game tactics wise. it was just our girls sheer athleticism and superior talent that saw us through. cameroonians will be baying for blood but God pass them.

by the way ordega is bae kiss see how she just dey catwalk her fine self when dem sub am cheesy
That girl has style and she even dresses like a model sometimes. She is a good footballer and even plays basketball. Ordega and oparanozie are my favorite falcons, on and off the pitch.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Nobody: 6:52pm On Nov 30, 2016
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by olapluto(m): 6:01pm On Dec 01, 2016
Cameroonians have started their dirty tactics of trying to destabilise the team. I think thats a good motivation for the falcons.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Nobody: 8:39pm On Dec 02, 2016
Ghana beat South Africa 1-0 to win the bronze

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Havilah93(m): 9:05pm On Dec 02, 2016
CFCman:
Ghana beat South Africa 1-0 to win the bronze

Would the match have gone straight to penalties had it ended in a draw?

And will there be extra time tomorrow?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Nobody: 9:22pm On Dec 02, 2016
Havilah93:

Would the match have gone straight to penalties had it ended in a draw?

And will there be extra time tomorrow?
The 3rd place match would have gone straight to penalties, if it ended in a draw.

Tomorrow's match will go to extra time and penalties (if needed)
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by kilo4sure: 9:26pm On Dec 02, 2016
CFCman:

The 3rd place match would have gone straight to penalties, if it ended in a draw.

Tomorrow's match will go to extra time and penalties (if needed)
Lol, l thought Havilah was just kidding with the question.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:32am On Dec 03, 2016
Na real wa o!

Pastor spent four days on the road just to ‘pray’ for Super Falcons in Cameroon

By Gowon Akpodonor, Limbe, Cameroun | 25 November 2016 | 3:36 am

At a time many Nigerians are holding tight to whatever they have due to the current economic recession, Rev. Ambrose Ezeala sees things differently. To him, no matter the impact of recession on Nigerians, it will not stop him from rendering his ‘selfless’ services to his fatherland, particularly when the female national team, the Super Falcons, are on African Nations Cup duty.

“Since June 6, 2000, God told me to channel my energy towards the female national team by offering them prayer whenever they are on international duty,” Rev. Ezeala told The Guardian on arrival at the Parliamentarian Flat Hotel camp of the Super Falcons here in Buea, Cameroon.

“It started on June 6, 2000, and for 17 years, I have been following the Super Falcons, rendering prayer for the team and we have been winning.”

Ezeala may have been having it smooth all these years, but his decision to embark on a journey to Cameroon, venue of the on-going 10th African Women’s Nations Cup, may have come with a big prize.

Rev. Ezeala was 15 years old when he was ‘forced’ into the Nigerian army during the Nigerian Civil War. Then, the young Ezeala and his parents were residing in Asaba, now Delta State capital. Like many other Nigerians, he was ‘captured’ and liberated into the army to defend his fatherland against the Biafran soldiers.

“But all through my years in the Nigerian army, and my 17 years of following the Super Falcons around African countries, I had not experienced this kind of journey,” he said, while searching his bag for a track suit to shield himself from the biting cold, which according to the residents of Buea, is an all year round weather because of the surrounding rocks, mountains, creeks and the sea.

Just after the Super Falcons departed Nigeria for Cameroon two weeks ago, Ezeala commenced his journey to the Central African country to be part of the opening Group match against Mali, which Nigeria won 6-0 on Sunday.

His dream of making it to Cameroon on time to render prayer to the team was nearly shattered. “I started my journey from Ikom, Cross River State, and I never knew the road to Cameroun was a death trap. The last time I travelled with the Super Falcons to Cameroon for an Olympic Games qualification ticket in 2008, I came through the sea from Calabar. The experience was not that good because of the high wave of the sea. This time, I decided to come by road, and I will say the experience was worse. I won’t try it again.”

According to Ezeala, the journey from Ikom in Cross River State, Nigeria to Yaounde in Cameroon took him four days. “From Ikom, I joined a car, which took me near the boundary between Cross River and Cameroon. From there, I joined a big bus to Yaounde. At first, I thought it was going to be a one or at most two days journey, but I ended up spending four days on the road,” he said.

According to Ezeala, his ordeal started shortly after the Luxury bus got to the Nigeria-Cameroon bounder. “Their Immigration officers and policemen were so unfriendly to me. They collected all my money. I told them I was a pastor and that I was on my way to the Super Falcons camp in Cameroun for the African Nations Cup, but none of them was ready to listen to my explanation. What they were after was the money, and I had to give out everything I had just to find my way to Yaounde.
“Before I started the journey, I had to change some of my money to Cameroon CFA. But I also had to keep some Nigeria currency (the naira) just in case I run out of their money. To cross the bounder from Cross River into Cameroon, I was made to pay 4,000 CFA. And from that point, the Immigration officers and policemen turned me into their ATM machine. They drilled my pocket and emptied everything I had. Even when I told them that their colleagues had taken all that I had, they will still search my pockets and pick the little that was left. It got to a point that I could not even buy water to drink not to talk of feeding. It is just by the Mercy of God that I got here,” Ezeala stated.

On arrival in Cameroon, Ezeala headed to Yaounde, the capital city, thinking that the Super Falcons would play their group matches there. He got it wrong. “It was when I got to Yaounde that someone told me that the Falcons were in Limbe. I met some Nigerian friends who assisted me with some money and I had to start another journey (about five hours) to Limbe. I got there only to be told that the Falcons camp is in Buea, so I had to start another journey down here. As we speak, I am down totally, but I know that God will see me through,” he stated.

The economic meltdown has equally affected the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), and as such, Ezeala’s hope of getting some form of relief from players and officials of the Super Falcons hit a brick wall the moment he stepped into the team’s camp at the Parliamentarian Flat hotel in Buea.
It’s a three-in-one problem for the Nigerian pastor here in Super Falcons camp in Buea. No money to pay for hotel accommodation, no money to feed and no money to move around. To compound his problem, there is no male official in the team’s camp to squat with. Things are really looking bad for the pastor.

Some officials of the team told The Guardian that they warned Ezeala not to venture on the trip to Cameroun. “During our preparation in Abuja, the man (Ezeala) came to our camp one day and introduced himself as the official pastor of the Super Falcons. I told him to get an official letter from the NFF to that effect. He left only to resurface two days later saying that we shall meet in Cameroun. But
I warned him not to take such a gamble because nobody will look his face, considering the tight budget we are operating with. There is no money anywhere to take care of unnecessary things. Beside the issue of no money, tell me why a pastor who is actually leading a church in Nigeria will abandon his congregation and members of his family to embark on such jamboree trip in the name of rendering prayer for a national team?

“Any time the Super Eagles are in camp, this man will be the first to reach there. He told me that he spent seven days traveling by road from Lagos to Senegal to support the U-20 national team. He was in Rwanda and he was also in South Africa with the Super Eagles. When Nigeria played Algeria in the World Cup qualifier in Uyo, he was there.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:25pm On Dec 03, 2016
Lets go there. #Bringbackourcup
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:05pm On Dec 03, 2016
Point blank save by our goalie. Still 0-0.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:12pm On Dec 03, 2016
1-0 Oparazonie
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:26pm On Dec 03, 2016
We won! We won! Oh yes we won! smiley

Congrats Nigeria... Congrats y'all

La Decima sealed! Super Falcons are forever Queens of the continent.

Long live the Queens! Long live Africa's finest female side! Love live the Super Falcons!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Nobody: 5:33pm On Dec 03, 2016
Super Falcons out scored their opponents 13-1.

The only goal conceded was a penalty to Ghana.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Nobody: 5:39pm On Dec 03, 2016
But team needs to improve technically and tactically. One area that could be improved is the joint pressing by the forwards.

The front 3 need to press the opposing defenders in sync, not leaving it to Oshoala alone.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:15am On Dec 05, 2016

Oshoala, Oparanozie, Ohale Make 2016 AWCON Best XI

 4 Dec 2016
 Africa, Headlines, Top Stories

By Johnny Edward:

Three Super Falcons players have been listed in the African Women’s Cup of Nations team of the tournament, reports Completesportsnigeria.

Two players, Alaba Jonathan and Franseca Ordega, are named as substitutes.

Top scorer of the competition Asisat Oshoala, Desire Oparanoize and Osinachi Ohale are included in the tournament’s best 11 by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) according to a report on their website on Sunday.

Annette Ngo Ndom from Cameroon, who conceded one goal in the tournament was named in goal, while compatriot Meffoumetou Tcheno, Ohale, Janine Vam Wyk from South Africa and Ghana’s Linda Eshun complete the defence line.

In midfield, Jermaine Seoposenwe, Raisa Feudjio, Elizabeth Addo and Gabrielle Aboudi are included while Oparanoize and Oshoala lead the attack in a 4-4-2 formation.

The best player of the tournament award went to Cameroun’s Gabrielle Aboudi while the top scorer award was picked up by Oshoala.

The indomitable lionesses of Cameroun got the fair play award.

Best Player: Gabrielle ABOUDI ONGUENE (Cameroon)

Top scorer: Asisat Lamina OSHOALA (Nigeria) – 6 goals

Fair Play award: Cameroon

AWCONBest XI

Goalkeeper: Annette NGO NDOM (Cameroon)

Defenders: Meffoumetou Tcheno FALONE (Cameroon), Osinachi OHALE (Nigeria), Janine VAN WYK (South Africa), Linda ESHUN (Ghana)

Midfielders: Jermaine SEOPOSENWE (South Africa), Raisa FEUDJIO TCHUANYO (Cameroon), Elizabeth ADDO (Ghana), Gabrielle ABOUDI ONGUENE (Cameroon)

Forwards: Ugochi Desire OPARANOZIE (Nigeria), Asisat Lamina OSHOALA (Nigeria)

Substitutes

Alaba JONATHAN (Nigeria), Marie AWONA (Cameroon), Janet EGYIR (Ghana), Francisa ORDEGA (Nigeria), Portia BOAKYE (Ghana), Nothando VILAKAZI (South Africa)

Read more at http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/oshoala-oparnozie-ohale-make-2016-awcon-best-xi/#RdySC6D2mobJFEPU.99

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:18am On Dec 05, 2016
Ebi: It’s My 3rd AWCON Title, I Want One More

 5 Dec 2016
 Headlines, Top Features, Top Stories

Super Falcons defender, Onome Ebi is relishing the Nigerian ladies' trophy -success at the 2016 Women's Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon – her third AWCON title. In this exclusive interview with Completesportsnigeria.com's JOHNNY EDWARD, Ebi reveals her ambition to go further and win her fourth AWCON before international retirement. She also reveals the behind the scenes activities of the team that acted in tandem and ensured they successfully defended their title. Excerpts…

Onome, It must be fascinating to you joining the league of Nigerian female footballers who have won three Women's Africa Cup of Nations title…

No doubt, it is and I'm happy that we made everyone proud despite the challenges we faced in Cameroon. Winning three of the four tournaments I've featured in is special to me and I will work harder to join the league of players to have won four times before retirement.

What were those challenges the team faced in Cameroon?

It was tough, but we surmounted all, so I don't want to delve into that now. We are happy we won so all that are in the past.

Personally, what does this 2016 AWCON title success mean to you?

It means a lot. Playing a new partner and not many believed the partnership will thrive but here we are as champions of Africa.

Let's talk about the games in Limbe Cameroon where the Super Falcons began on a ruthless note hitting Mali for six, drawing rivals Ghana 1-1 before sealing the final group win with a 4-0 bashing of Kenya. Can you talk us through these games?

We started the tournament the way we wanted it, and we took our chances when they came and won our opening game. The second game was difficult because of the rivalry between Ghana and Nigeria, and the fact that they had played second fiddle to the Super Falcons in the past.

Did coach Florence Omagbemi prepare specially for the game against Ghana?

It was only normal for her to remind us why we were better than them. She loves her team dominating play. We tried our best to carry out her tactical plan.

The draw was a fair result and that really spurred us going into the final game against Kenya which we won.

The semi-final game against the Banyana Banyana of South Africa was a grudge game for you because you were part of that squad that lost 1-0 in 2012. How did you approach that game?

Like every other game, we prepared well and we were fortunate to get a goal in a tough game where both teams were cautious, which saw few shots on goal. It was a technical game against a fast paced side. Then again, we had a chance and we took it. Most of the teams we faced were contented in stopping us from playing forgetting that individually we could still hurt them which the likes of Desire Oparanoize and Asisat Oshoala did for the team.

The final against Host country Cameroon, no doubt, was difficult. Did you at any point doubt your chances of winning the title ?

You know this popular saying "when the going gets tough, the tough gets going We curtailed the Cameroonians and tried to exploit their weakness which was the right side of their defence. That was where the goal came from.

How much of an impact did Florence Omagbeni make in this team?

As an ex player, she knows how well to pass details across, and throughout the tournament, she was spot on. It was more of being cautious and going for the kill when the chances come.

Aside being African champion, you also won the Women title with your Belarusian side, Minsk…

2016 was a fulfilling year for me and I hope for more in the new year, 2017.

Thank you for your time Onome, and all the best.

You're welcome. Thank you.

Read more at http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ebi-3rd-awcon-title-want-one/#HEeU0jHvQRcQfAFr.99

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:20am On Dec 05, 2016
Jonathan: Nigerian Spirit Spurred Us To Win AWCON Title

 5 Dec 2016
 Headlines, Top Features, Top Stories

Super Falcons goalkeeper, Alaba Jonathan speaks about the joy of lifting the Women's Africa Cup of Nations in this exclusive interview with Completesportsnigeria.com's ADEBOYE AMOSU.

Excerpts …

Congratulations Jonathan on your team's success at the Women's Africa Cup of Nations…

Yeah, thank you so much. We want to thank God for making it possible for us to successfully defend our title. It was really tough out there, but we were determined to make the nation and ourselves proud.

How would describe your experience at the AWCON in Cameroon?

It's a wonderful experience for me, one that I cannot describe. I started out with the U-20 side (Falconets) in 2010 and my career has progressed well ever since.

The women's game in Africa has developed so much and to compete against some of the best players in the continent is something one can be proud of.

I like the experience and I can't wait to play in the next edition of the competition in Ghana.

Not many people gave you ladies the chance to successfully defend the title in Cameroon, especially after your failure to qualify for the Olympics in Rio. How did that motivated you and your colleagues?

I must say we went to Cameroon with the determination to prove a lot of people wrong – that we are still the best side in the continent.

Fine, it's obvious that other countries like South Africa, Ghana and Cameroon have developed so well too, but we are still the best.

I don't want to talk about the challenges, but you know what the never say die Nigerian spirit can do. Even in the midst of all the challenges, you could see it in us that we were determined to win the title once again and thank God we achieved our number one objective at the end of the day.

How much influence does coach Florence Omagbemi had on the team?

She is someone you have to respect having done so well as a player. I mean her antecedents and achievements in the game cannot be brushed aside. We all respect her so much and hope to one day surpass her achievement at both national team and club level.

You played five games at the AWCON. Which would admit was the toughest?

It's really difficult to pick one as the toughest, but our games against Ghana, South Africa and Cameroon were really tough. The three countries have quality players in their squad and made things difficult for us.

The final game against Cameroon was a tough one for you ladies, in view of the atmosphere. How were you able to cope against such huge home crowd rooting for Cameroon?

Everything comes with experience and determination. This team has a lot of experience and aside that, we have coaches (Florence Omagbemi, Ann Chiejine and Perpetual Nkwocha) who played the game to the highest level and they really pysched us up for the challenges ahead.

There were rumours of planned protest by the team in Cameroon over unpaid allowances and bonuses, can you shed more light on that?

I don't want to talk about that for now. I have no comment about that.

Read more at http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/jonathan-nigerian-spirit-spurred-us-win-awcon-title/#HH71vjiYB25ZAce6.99
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Nobody: 11:58am On Dec 05, 2016
^^
Thanks for the updates

At 33, I don't think Ebi will get to play in another AWCON. It will be better to give younger defenders (such as Catherine Kenneth) a chance in 2018.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:14pm On Dec 05, 2016
CFCman:
^^
Thanks for the updates

At 33, I don't think Ebi will get to play in another AWCON. It will be better to give younger defenders (such as Catherine Kenneth) a chance in 2018.

Depends on how she takes care of herself, she could have enough for one last world cup. We do have good options remember Ebere is a CB also.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by olapluto(m): 9:33pm On Dec 05, 2016
CAF wanting to placate Cameroon with the individual awards. I think Alaba Jonathan is by far the best goalie in the tournament. The Cameroonian goalie was hardly tested, and she failed on the one occasion she was tested.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Nobody: 9:37pm On Dec 05, 2016
olapluto:
CAF wanting to placate Cameroon with the individual awards. I think Alaba Jonathan is by far the best goalie in the tournament. The Cameroonian goalie was hardly tested, and she failed on the one occasion she was tested.
Jonathan was outstanding in the final, and should have won the award.

Anyway, it's a good thing that the team has at least 3 top class goalies who could easily claim the starting spot: the others would be Whyte, and Onyinyechi, the U-17/U-20 Keeper.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:35pm On Dec 05, 2016
CFCman:

Jonathan was outstanding in the final, and should have won the award.

Anyway, it's a good thing that the team has at least 3 top class goalies who could easily claim the starting spot: the others would be Whyte, and Onyinyechi, the U-17/U-20 Keeper.

No diss to any of them but Alaba was on another planet. She is the best African goalkeeper by far, that CAF team was a sham.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naijaseeker: 11:10pm On Dec 05, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

No diss to any of them but Alaba was on another planet. She is the best African goalkeeper by far, that CAF team was a sham.

I was more than aghast when I saw the CAF choice. Jonathan was the man of the match, she outshone everybody on the pitch. And prior to the day she had conceded only one goal via a penalty.

Maybe the choice was to placate the Cameroonians, but Alaba was just way way ahead simple.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:38am On Dec 06, 2016
You're so right. Alaba Jonathan was also the only goalie who didn't concede from open play. She conceeded from the penalty spot.

Alaba was goalie of the tournament by far. It's annoying really that the Camerounian Annette Ndom has now taken two golden gloves awards now (2014, 2016). She deserved it in 2014 but 2016 was all about Alaba Jonathan (product of the First U-20 African team to reach the final of a Fifa women's football event).

It's a good thing we boast fantastic goalies as no.1, 2 and 3 choices.

And like Sir BascoVanVeli rightly pointed out... That CAF AWCON XI is a big sham.

A CAF XI that doesn't have Ngozi Okobi in the midfield and Ugo Njoku in defence at Right-back is a sham indeed.

Anyway, they can name whomever they like, the trophy is ours.

I was also shaking my head when Onguene of Cameroun was named Tournament MVP. That should have gone to either of Oshoala, Oparanozie, Okobi, Alaba, or even by a long-shot Addo of Ghana.

Onguene?? Na wa for CAF....

olapluto:
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:47am On Dec 06, 2016
<FunFacts from the AWCON>

»»Desire Ugochi Oparanozie has now scored in three different CAF AWCON Finals (1 in 2010, 1 in 2014, and 1 in 2016). Two of her three Goals in the final were match winners (1-0 in 2-0 win vs Cameroun, 2014 AND 1-0 in 1-0 win vs Cameroun, 2016). **Seems she loves to bury Cameroun** smiley

Other players who have scored in two or more AWCON finals are:

-» Stella Mbachu, Nigeria (1998, 2000): 2 goals (1 in '98, 1 in 2000).

-» Genoveva Anonma, Eq.Guinea (2008, 2012):
2goals (1 in 2008, 1 in 2012).

-» Perpetua Nkwocha, Nigeria (2002, 2004, 2006, 2010): 7goals (1 in '02, 4 in '04, 1 in '06, 1 in '10).

It therefore means that after Nkwocha who have scored in four different finals and has 7 strikes in the match deciders of the CAF AWCON, NO OTHER PLAYER HAS SCORED IN MORE FINALS THAN DESIRE OPARANOZIE..... smiley

#LegendOnTheRise #BigGamePlayer wink

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:08am On Dec 06, 2016
NIGERIA'S FALCONS IN THE DARK OVER PAY,
NO CASH FOR STAR DEFENDER'S SURGERY

Okobi in wheel chair on arrival from AWCON in Cameroon

There is now a silent but dangerous standoff
between African champions Super Falcons and
the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) as the team have still been left in the dark as regards their bonuses and allowances.

“No official has been to see the girls at the Agura Hotel. There has been no message from the office (NFF). We are all in the dark as concerns our money,” a team official opened up.

Earlier, top officials had suggested the team will
be attended to when the banks reopen for
business today.

We have now further learnt that the players were paid 500,000 Naira each and officials received 400,000 Naira for them not to boycott their AWCON semi-final against South Africa.

“What we are all asking now is what was the
money meant for? Part of our bonuses or
allowances?”

The cash situation is so serious that star defender Onome Ebi’s injured arm cannot be operated on at the National Hospital in Abuja.

Ebi suffered a serious arm injury and barely
managed to finish the AWCON final against
Cameroon on Saturday.

The cost of the surgery has been put at 500,000 Naira.

The NFF have not been forthcoming with the
money for the surgery, while raising serious
questions about whether the team were insured
for the biennial championship.

Midfielder Ngozi Okobi also suffered a leg injury in the final and had to be ferried on a wheel chair on arrival at the airport in Nigeria.

Source: http://africanfootball.com//news/669358/Nigerias-Falcons-in-the-dark-over-pay-no-cash-for-star-defenders-surgery
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:14am On Dec 06, 2016
NFF wants Age-grade teams to concentrate
on developmental programmes

….Falconets recount hardship in Papua New
Guinea

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has insisted that the Glass House has been able to manage the economic meltdown within the sports circles.

The President, Amaju Pinnick explained the funds constraints by some age grade teams like the Falconets.

Sequel to reports of untold hardship experienced by the Falconets during their sojourn to Papua New Guinea for the FIFA U-20 Women’s Championship, the NFF President opined that teams like Falconets should concentrate more on developing themselves rather than expecting huge financial rewards from the NFF.

He said: “I didn’t want to speak on this issue, but when you call the Falconets, you ask, how old they are? If you are in the media you should preach that these young girls should concentrate more on their football rather than go to the media and talk about money. If Oshoala kept complaining about money, she won’t be where she is today. And people should always realise that whatever we do, the Federation is just a platform for you to excel and go to a club which is the biggest and the best. And that is just the truth.”

Pinnick added: “Sports is all about money and the truth is that Nigeria is going through recession. I want you to name one sector of the economy that is doing very well because there is recession but give and take, we still give ourselves a pat on the back, we are almost in the World Cup, we won the only medal in the Olympics, we made our presence in Jordan, in Papua New Guinea. I don’t think we have done badly in spite of the challenges. We have a lot of distractions and challenges in finance, if you were the NFF President what would you do?”

Source: http://thenationonlineng.net/nff-wants-age-grade-teams-to-concentrate-on-developmental-programmes/
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:19am On Dec 06, 2016
CAF hands over 2018 Women's Afcon hosting rights to Ghana

Ghana has been handed the button as the
next country to host the 2018 Women's Afcon by the Confederation of African Football, CAF, last Saturday after the finals of the African Women Championship in Cameroun to clear doubts as to whether Ghana was going to host the next championship.

The President of the Confederation of African
Football (CAF), Issah Hayatou, handed the symbol of host button to Ghana which was received by Leanier Addy who was the leader of delegation for the Ghanaian contingent in Cameroon.

Source: http://mobile.ghanasoccernet.com/caf-hands-over-2018-womens-afcon-hosting-rights-to-ghana

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:32am On Dec 06, 2016
EXTRA TIME: DID ARSENAL’S OSHOALA TURN
DOWN A MARRIAGE PROPOSAL?

A football fan took the forward by surprise by
going on his knees right after the final of the
African Women Cup of Nations in Cameroon

‘Er... no chance!’ Arsenal Ladies’ Asisat Oshoala
seems to shun a football fan who might be asking ‘Will you marry me?’.

Shortly after the trophy presentation after the
Super Falcons defeated Cameroon 1-0 in the final of the 2016 African Women Cup of Nations in Yaoundé, this fan took to the pitch and knelt
beside the tournament’s top scorer in what
looked like he was making a proposition.

What do we know, though, Oshoala turned away from him as she posed for a shot instead with injured teammate, Onome Ebi.

Afterwards, the Arsenal Ladies star who might
have survived a moment of embarrassment
shared her experience via Instagram.

“Not sure about what was going on here but I
love this game. Hahahahaha... #FANLOVE”

Source: http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/17102/extra-time/2016/12/05/30192152/extra-time-did-arsenals-oshoala-turn-down-a-marriage
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Nobody: 4:05am On Dec 06, 2016
^^^
Smh. The NFF still has a long way to go in terms of basic organization. Issues such as injuries and bonuses should have been hashed out BEFORE the tournament in a written contract.

Anyway, I'll still commend them for paying the ladies N500,000 each (and not N30k cheesy). And I wish Okobi and Ebi speedy recovery

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (1068) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.