Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:37 AM

1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. (17432 Views)

The Colonial Flag Of Nigeria Between 1914-1960 (Photo) / Annual Report Of 1914: Palm Oil Highest Revenue Earner / Buhari Is Allowing Other Ethnic Groups To Kill Our People - Miyetti Chairman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Igboid: 1:40pm On Oct 11, 2016
omonnakoda:

Stop telling stupid lies that have already been debunked. There was no census in 1933. I challenge you to prove otherwise. THe British did an estimate and it is clear their premises were not well informed. Again you tell stupid lies when you say groups were captured. I already addressed this before. No Itsekiri ,No Urhobo,No Ogoni and the list is endless.
There was no credible census in Nigeria before 1950s and even those were hotly disputed but that is the first time there were real censuses in Nigeria. The others were all based on guesses and projections taken at different times(several years apart) in very limited parts of the country

Please tell us what are these figures based on
Is it a census. Simple YES OR NO

Then tell us what year the Census was conducted before being reported in 1933.

Please answer these two simple questions and stop all the dodging and ducking

The British kept an impeccable record of the demographics of their colonies. It was very vital for their exploitation agenda.

The colonial document of 1933 I produced, seem to believe there was a census in April 1931.

On the minorities of both south and North not mentioned in the stat. Well the British felt their figures were inconsequential. It gave their total combined population as 4.68 million .

See the screenshot below.

2 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Igboid: 1:44pm On Oct 11, 2016
Shym3xx:

Lol. Still didn't show Yorubas in the North and what you cited doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I'd even wager that the population of Yorubas in the Ilorin axis alone should be almost the same as either Egba or Ijebu, due to the number of troops they had during Kiriji wars. And I didn't add Kabba to it.

Agbor isn't Igbo and it has never been Igbo. Agbor kingdom existed long before Igbos started leaving the forest. And Igbos never had kingdoms, apart from Nri which was founded by an Igala prince, Onoja Oboli. So, how would folks without kingdoms go create a kingdom somewhere else? Or was Opobo also an Igbo kingdom? Even Onitsha is questionable cos the crown came from Bini but I will give you Onitsha.

Irrelevant drivel, trying to plead to the crack developed in the Igbo union Post 1970.

Stay on topic.

The population of Yorubas in the North was accounted for, and that's the fact.

7 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Igboid: 1:50pm On Oct 11, 2016
Another important factor to consider is that, perhaps, the Ilorin people identified as Fulanis and not as Yorubas. We know that most of them are Fulanis that took up Yoruba as lingua franca and go by Yoruba names.
Even in this age and time, the Sarakis still identify as Fulanis.

This might also explain the high figures for the Fulanis. cool

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by omonnakoda: 1:50pm On Oct 11, 2016
Igboid:

The British kept an impeccable record of the demographics of their colonies. It was very vital for their exploitation agenda.

The colonial document of 1933 I produced, seem to believe there was a census in April 1931.

On the minorities of both south and North not mentioned in the stat. Well the British felt their figures were inconsequential. It gave their total combined population as 4.6 million .

See the screenshot below.
Stop the silly verbiage and answer the very direct questions I asked you
Did the British conduct a Nationwide census in Nigeria before 1950 Yes or No
The Figures that you continue referring to are they based on a Census Yes or No?

If yes then tell us the year of the Census and stop beating about the bush

4 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Igboid: 1:57pm On Oct 11, 2016
omonnakoda:

Stop the silly verbiage and answer the very direct questions I asked you
Did the British conduct a Nationwide census in Nigeria before 1950 Yes or No
The Figures that you continue referring to are they based on a Census Yes or No?

If yes then tell us the year of the Census and stop beating about the bush

Go and sit down.

The colonial document called it 1931 census figures.

You are only bleating around cos it exposes your lies.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Nobody: 2:11pm On Oct 11, 2016
Igboid:
Another important factor to consider is that, perhaps, the Ilorin people identified as Fulanis and not as Yorubas. We know that most of them are Fulanis that took up Yoruba as lingua franca and go by Yoruba names.
Even in this age and time, the Sarakis still identify as Fulanis.

This might also explain the high figures for the Fulanis. cool
this is one of the slimy shit to pop out of your bigoted mind.
Ilorin is a Yoruba city even Wikipedia would cure your mountain sized ignorance and your penchant for fact twisting.

4 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Igboid: 2:16pm On Oct 11, 2016
It just occurred to me that the Nupe number in the population figures is way too high.

We all know that a large proportion of those that parade themselves as Yorubas today, were actually Of Nupe ancestry.

Is it possible that as at the time these population figures were collated, those Nupe people that now identify as Yorubas in the Northern province, actually identified as Nupe. Swelling the Nupe figures in the process?
Can you imagine that Nupe outnumbered the Ijaws in that population result.
The same Ijaws that are claiming 4th largest ethnic group today.

6 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by omonnakoda: 2:28pm On Oct 11, 2016
Igboid:

Go and sit down.

The colonial document called it 1931 census figures.

You are only bleating around cos it exposes your lies.
There was no census in 1931 na
You think this is your village ilo where u win arguments by shouting.
The first nationwide census in Nigeria was in 1952 .
What happened before were headcounts in diferrent places in different years for different reasons and they were very unpopular in the north because they were used for tax .They were not a census. These headcounts may and I am guessing here, have been used for estimates but the fact remains

there was no 1931 census in Nigeria. It did not happen
Ever heard of a census that is not interested in the number of men and women or children but the number of Ibos? You are desperate but empty

4 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Shym3xx: 2:49pm On Oct 11, 2016
Igboid:

Irrelevant drivel, trying to plead to the crack developed in the Igbo union Post 1970.

Stay on topic.

The population of Yorubas in the North was accounted for, and that's the fact.

Where is the drivel in my post? I only showed you how flawed the links you presented are since a lot of distinct minorities were grouped with Igbos. Ditto the North, since there is no way in hell there were that many Fulanis in Naij at that point in history.

The two things I can deduce from this thread are: Yorubas have always been cheated when it comes to population (Nigeria has always been anti-Yoruba) and Ijaws aren't anywhere close to 4th most populous ethnic group in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Nobody: 2:49pm On Oct 11, 2016
[b]Igboid Kudos to you. Great job. [/b]Nigeria will never see progress, because of her faulty foundation on lies. Only the truth will heal Nigeria, but unfortunately, she is too arrogant to succumb to her healing balm.

2 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by AgentOrange: 2:58pm On Oct 11, 2016
Thank you very much Igboid.

I have always wondered why we are so many in Igboland yet we have such huge numbers outside Igboland in places like Lagos, Kano and other states.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by AgentOrange: 2:59pm On Oct 11, 2016
One thing is certain, the ijaws are nowhere near being the 4th largest by numbers in Nigeria.
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by omonnakoda: 3:33pm On Oct 11, 2016
AgentOrange:
One thing is certain, the ijaws are nowhere near being the 4th largest by numbers in Nigeria.
And that certainty is based on what?
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by orimsamsam(m): 3:40pm On Oct 11, 2016
It just funny to see how people distort fact just to support there selfish argument. It laughable to say. Majority people who vote for PDP in SW are from SW and SE
Ekiti - 176,466
Ondo- 251,368
Oyo- 303,376
Osun- 279,929
Ogun- 207,950
Lagos- 632,327

The number of votes PDP gotin south western state is highlighted above. Saying bulk of the votes is from SS/SE is foolishness
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Igboid: 3:46pm On Oct 11, 2016
omonnakoda:
There was no census in 1931 na
You think this is your village ilo where u win arguments by shouting.
The first nationwide census in Nigeria was in 1952 .
What happened before were headcounts in diferrent places in different years for different reasons and they were very unpopular in the north because they were used for tax .They were not a census. These headcounts may and I am guessing here, have been used for estimates but the fact remains

there was no 1931 census in Nigeria. It did not happen
Ever heard of a census that is not interested in the number of men and women or children but the number of Ibos? You are desperate but empty

Haha!

See the break down of the census to number of males and females, both for Adult and non adults( Children and adolescents).

4 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by orimsamsam(m): 3:47pm On Oct 11, 2016
omonnakoda:
And that certainty is based on what?
maybe the yorubas in dis thread has to start ignoring certain things. How can someone use an unvarify figure in 1931 to judge the population figure of Nigeria presently
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by ChristineC: 3:53pm On Oct 11, 2016
Thread is quite educative. Keep the debate alive because I am just here to read comments cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Igboid: 4:00pm On Oct 11, 2016
See the breakdown for foreigners. Wow! Too many Syrians. Who knows how much these people added to our genetic pool.

2 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Igboid: 4:05pm On Oct 11, 2016
Average height for groups. Too bad there is no data on Ndiigbo for this. Ijaws seem to be the shortest on the average, amongst the sampled groups.

1 Like

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by omonnakoda: 4:06pm On Oct 11, 2016
orimsamsam:
maybe the yorubas in dis thread has to start ignoring certain things. How can someone use an unvarify figure in 1931 to judge the population figure of Nigeria presently
There is a reason why we respond to these things. Not because we are jobless.
There is unfortunately , a pervasive tendency among some black people to believe anything written in any book. So today they are quoting some rubbish from 1931 and in 2101 some other clowns will be quoting this thread so it is important that we put it on record everytime they start their nonsense.These clowns are not sleeping Let me give you an example they have gone to wikipedia to create countless fictions about Ikwerres and their identity ,about Port Harcourt and even their own history now dressing up some rubbish about an Imaginary Nri Kingdom that never existed except in the imaginations of some drunkards bloated with akpu and palm wine
So we must ensure there are contemporaneous internet archives that expose their shenanigans.They are a shameless people

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by omonnakoda: 4:09pm On Oct 11, 2016
Igboid:
Average height for groups. Too bad there is no data on Ndiigbo for this. Ijaws seem to be the shortest on the average, amongst the sampled groups.
Your education does not involve thinking at all.

What sort of questions does an intelligent person ask when confronted with such absurd data? Clearly you are out of your depth functioning with and undergraduate mind with all the emphasis on UNDER. Your antics with this report are quite evocative of simian glee on first encounter with a mirror

1 Like

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by specimenC: 4:12pm On Oct 11, 2016
EternalTruths:
Igboid

The 2015 election also proved that Igbos are more than Yorubas

Yorubas/Hausas/Minorities= 15million votes Buhari

Igbos/Minorities= 12million votes Jonathan

The close gap shows that Igbos are more than Yorubas

You forgot that no single state in the north and west gave jonathan less than 100,000 votes. But buhari had as low as less than 5000 votes in the east and south. So your point here is illogical.

1 Like

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by orimsamsam(m): 4:16pm On Oct 11, 2016
omonnakoda:
There is unfortunately , a pervasive tendency among some black people to believe anything written in any book. So today they are quoting some rubbish from 1931 and in 2101 some other clowns will be quoting this thread so it is important that we put it on record everytime they start their nonsense.These clowns are not sleeping Let me give you an example they have gone to wikipedia to create countless fictions about Ikwerres and their identity ,about Port Harcourt and even their own history now dressing up some rubbish about an Imaginary Nri Kingdom that never existed except in the imaginations of some drunkards bloated with akpu and palm wine
So we must ensure there are contemporaneous internet archives that expose their shenanigans.They are a shameless people
don't knw wht wrong with dis people. Dey argue with emotion and hatred instead of the factual fact on ground. Imagine someone posting an unvarify document from 1931. It just funny

They very fast to defend there Igbo ancestry in niger Delta. But they start dere dick measuring analysis when we also tell dem about the itshekiri. Imagine someone telling me dere are no yorubas in Kwara state just becos they have an emir has a ruler dere

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Igboid: 4:19pm On Oct 11, 2016
omonnakoda:

There was no Oyo empire. A Bini scholar had put that part of your falsehood to sword. Read it all here:

http://ihuanedo.ning.com/m/group/discussion?id=2971192%3ATopic%3A124153

4 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Igboid: 4:21pm On Oct 11, 2016
omonnakoda:
Your education does not involve thinking at all.

What sort of questions does an intelligent person ask when confronted with such absurd data? Clearly you are out of your depth functioning with and undergraduate mind with all the emphasis on UNDER. Your antics with this report are quite evocative of simian glee on first encounter with a mirror

grin
Me right now:

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Igboid: 4:25pm On Oct 11, 2016
AgentOrange:
Thank you very much Igboid.

I have always wondered why we are so many in Igboland yet we have such huge numbers outside Igboland in places like Lagos, Kano and other states.

Dalu.
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Igboid: 4:26pm On Oct 11, 2016
blues20:
[b]Igboid Kudos to you. Great job. [/b]Nigeria will never see progress, because of her faulty foundation on lies. Only the truth will heal Nigeria, but unfortunately, she is too arrogant to succumb to her healing balm.

Ndewo, nwanne mmadu.

3 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by EternalTruths: 4:32pm On Oct 11, 2016
specimenC:

You forgot that no single state in the north and west gave jonathan less than 100,000 votes. But buhari had as low as less than 5000 votes in the east and south. So your point here is illogical.

Take your education serious

In each state, Igbos are always the most populated non-indigenes after the indigenes

For this reason, Jonathan got lots of votes in the North.

But there are LGAs in the SE/SS you won't find up to 50 Hausa Fulani Yoruba people.

For this reason, Buhari got insignificant votes in the SE/SS

True or False.?

5 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by EternalTruths: 4:35pm On Oct 11, 2016
princdebola201:

Shut up!!

If you had taken your education seriously, you would have known that the NW, SW , NC and NE has a high population of non indigenes mainly Igbos.

While the SE has the lowest presence of non indigenes

1 Like

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by Igboid: 4:36pm On Oct 11, 2016
Shym3xx:

Where is the drivel in my post? I only showed you how flawed the links you presented are since a lot of distinct minorities were grouped with Igbos. Ditto the North, since there is no way in hell there were that many Fulanis in Naij at that point in history.

The two things I can deduce from this thread are: Yorubas have always been cheated when it comes to population (Nigeria has always been anti-Yoruba) and Ijaws aren't anywhere close to 4th most populous ethnic group in Nigeria.

To be honest with you. The aim of this thread is not to show that Ndiigbo are more populous that Yorubas in Nigeria.

But to shake off the subtle belief that Yorubas are more populous than Ndiigbo, as there are no historical antecedent to that notion.

Point is that until Nigeria adds ethnicity to its census figures, the unofficial politicised assumption that Yorubas constitute 21% of Nigerian population, while Ndiigbo constitute a meagre 18% and the Ijaws a whooping 10% of Nigerian population must be exposed for what it is, which is nothing but political propaganda with no iota of truth or historical antecedent.

It must be assumed that Yorubas are of equal number with Ndiigbo, and that Ijaws are not more in number than Ibibios, Tivs, Kanuris, Nupes, and Edos, until a census with a provision for ethnic composition is conducted.

10 Likes

Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by happen2: 4:36pm On Oct 11, 2016
Igboid ,

Kudos to you for taken us back in time. Please what is the point of this thread? Is about Igbo more than Yoruba presently or in 1931? It is good to note that Igbo population are more than Yoruba in 1931 but presently you and I don't know which tribe has more population than the other until another good census is conducted.
Mind you,if the last has put Yoruba population ahead Igbo you have to live with it until new Census.
Re: 1931 Population Figures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups- Colonial Annual Report 1933. by shobenward: 4:37pm On Oct 11, 2016
My goodness when they say people in Nigeria have selective amnesia there's a truth to it. A certain tribe lost over 3million people during a particular civil war and before that there was a progrom against that same tribe on the north where the news then was that virtually every member of that tribe residing in the north were wiped out in retaliation for a certain coup the few survivors ran back to their land without their properties. Take note Nigeria's population was barely reaching a100 million then one can now begin to imagine the percentage of their total population that was lost.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Obanikoro Returns To Nigeria Today / Abubakar Momoh Is Dead / Why I Want To Be Senate President – Ndume

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.