Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:01 AM

See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank (20193 Views)

6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank / Driving On An Empty Tank? You May Need This / Here’s Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On An Empty Tank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by mpone: 12:57pm On Oct 12, 2016
The warning light on the dashboard indicates that the fuel has reached the reserve level, which is about 10 to 15 percent of your tank’s total capacity. You can use that reference along with your car’s average fuel economy to calculate your remaining range, but it’s a good idea to not risk running the car until it’s dry.

While standing on the side of the road with your empty car waiting for help or walking to the nearest filling station and returning with a jerry can is embarrassing enough, there’s another serious concern that could impact your wallet. And it could be way more expensive than a tank of fuel.

In your fuel tank, there is a device called a fuel pump, which sends the fuel from the tank to the engine. The fuel pump relies on the gasoline in the tank to keep it cool and lubricated. Running the car with a low tank means that the pump isn’t staying as lubricated as it should and is at risk of overheating. The obvious downside to this is premature failure of the pump.

That’s a pretty expensive repair. Failing fuel pumps will lead to poor performance, particularly with a car not accelerating smoothly or starting at all.Your fuel pump also has a fuel filter, which can quickly get dirty if you drive with a low tank. Since any sediment or dirt sinks to the bottom of the tank, the fuel filter could end up getting blocked or could take in dirty fuel, which also has costly consequences.

Ignoring your car’s low fuel warning is generally a bad idea, and running your car on empty can cause serious and costly problems to your car’s fuel system

http://www.motoprof.com/2016/10/12/see-never-drive-car-empty-tank/

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by nurey(m): 2:15pm On Oct 12, 2016
I have a feeling this thread would ride to front page in a G-wagon Biturbo engine

If this makes front page, I will tell the story of how I was beaten by a mare I4 with my V6 3xxhp.

The story.
As I borrowed a friend's 2010 Toyota Camry, feeling fly with my self as I have arrived (at least other drivers didn't know it wasn't mine) I was determined to show the world how fast my V6 368hp was, the fastest car in the world.
While cruising at 100km from CMS making my way to oshodi this Sunday morning, I was dusting a lot of cars leaving them behind and it feels good, I even made mince meat of Benz E350,didnt occur to me if a driver is determined to race you then you will know car pass car.

Looking at my rear view mirror I saw this shark like car coming close, closer and then their it was, a Kia optima, I laughed, increased my speed to 120,this car didn't budge, 130, the car was on MA tail, OK no problem shebi you wan chichumchin at 150km/h,this car didn't budge, and the driver was determined to show me, now side by side, a little glimpse at the reckless driver gave me a shocker that would forever be a night mare, a woman, my heart raced.

I needed to protect my self esteem and keep my Ego intact, I pushed my baby to 160km/h damning the outcome, moved to the middle Lane to make it easy to maneuver. At 180km/h the optima was backing down and I was already afraid, I consoled my self that I would have won if I could keep up my "ahead position" getting close to iyanoworo where the airtel billboard was fixed on an island.

Checking my rear mirror and left side mirror, the optima was no where to be found about to check my right, something swish pass me, I was nearing 190km/h I didn't want to pass that cause the handling at that speed is suicidal the optima was going, going, going passed my targeted finish line and didn't wait to say good bye. I was lucky enough to see 2.0T hitched on the boot.

If you know you are the woman in this story, I have a W12 engine waiting to race you. If you are not afraid of the challenge, let's meet same day, same time I need to boost my ego back.

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by dubaiprince: 2:20pm On Oct 12, 2016
in this era of N145

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Alvin007: 7:59pm On Oct 12, 2016
nurey:
I have a feeling this thread would ride to front page in a G-wagon Biturbo engine

If this makes front page, I will tell the story of how I was beaten by a mare I4 with my V6 3xxhp

Anticipating...

8 Likes

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Alvin007: 8:00pm On Oct 12, 2016
nurey:

If this makes front page, I will tell the story of how I was beaten by a mare I4 with my V6 3xxhp

Grabs popcorn grin
Waiting on your story like this :

7 Likes

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by oblo(m): 8:35pm On Oct 13, 2016
Space heavily booked.

grin

1 Like

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by leuelliot(m): 10:02pm On Oct 13, 2016
angry
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by nony43(m): 6:39am On Oct 14, 2016
Noted

1 Like

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Nobody: 6:41am On Oct 14, 2016
kiss
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by ukehnonny: 6:41am On Oct 14, 2016
That's good. Very informative. But this one fuel is now 145, na to pray say reserve no finish for road

2 Likes

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by pol23: 6:41am On Oct 14, 2016
Nice post.
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by agulion: 6:43am On Oct 14, 2016
ok noted

1 Like

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by metroid(m): 6:44am On Oct 14, 2016
nurey:

Waiting.....

1 Like

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by emmyw(m): 6:45am On Oct 14, 2016
Really?
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by bakynes(m): 6:45am On Oct 14, 2016
Some times when am broke I feel embarrassed buying fuel of 1000 or 500 so on a few occasions the fuel in the car finished totally on the road that I had to get a jerrycan to buy fuel but since then what I do is when am buoyant I buy full tank and make sure everytime I use the car I top it up with 2000 or 1000

14 Likes

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by cana882(m): 6:46am On Oct 14, 2016
This is exactly what my car is going through right now. I always warn my brother not to drive that car on empty tank but he will never listen. I've changed the fuel pump twice but the car still gives problem. Don't know if the fuel pump is a fake.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Olukokosir(m): 6:46am On Oct 14, 2016
Tru talk

1 Like

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by FabulousAutos(m): 6:48am On Oct 14, 2016
nurey:

You must be a prophet shocked

1 Like

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by philclem(m): 6:49am On Oct 14, 2016
angry Bros,I just bought a toyota camry(2011) fuelled for a month am already tired! VERY EXPENSIVE angry

1 Like

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by PeakMilkOfTexas(f): 6:50am On Oct 14, 2016
Black market fuel is among what can spoil a fuel filter... Even with this awareness, some Car owners will ignore & keep on buying it. Anyways na condition make crayfish bend

2 Likes

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by PeakMilkOfTexas(f): 6:51am On Oct 14, 2016
philclem:
angry Bros,I just bought a toyota camry(2011) fuelled for a month am already tired! VERY EXPENSIVE angry
Hahaha .. Kpele. Maybe u should have gone for a Corolla instead. Its fuel economical! #Ask

2 Likes

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Dottore: 6:52am On Oct 14, 2016
We already know the empty fuel thank theory

2 Likes

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Opistorincos(m): 6:52am On Oct 14, 2016
I neva even get car, so e never concern me

1 Like

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by moscobabs(m): 6:53am On Oct 14, 2016
informative thank u op

My car is Nissan quest 2000 mode V6 ..this car consume fuel like water although some mechanics told me is not that its V6 and there's no any sign that it consumes more fuel than normal . But if this fuel gauge shows reserve . I can still drive the car for the same distance I drive with 15litres bfre I top the fuel.

is there anything wrong with the car?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by ibraheemabubaka: 6:53am On Oct 14, 2016
Not good to drive car to zero fuel especially injector system cause a lot of damage
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by LOVEGINO(m): 6:54am On Oct 14, 2016
Based on the topic. EMPTY TANK shocked how the car wan take move na?

4 Likes

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by PeakMilkOfTexas(f): 6:54am On Oct 14, 2016
cana882:
This is exactly what my car is going through right now. I always warn my brother not to drive that car on empty tank but he will never listen. I've changed the fuel pump twice but the car still gives problem. Don't know if the fuel pump is a fake.
I think an original complete fuel pump should be around 5k or thereabout... Why not E-test/diagnose your Car, that way you will know where the fault truly is.
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by PeakMilkOfTexas(f): 6:57am On Oct 14, 2016
ukehnonny:
That's good. Very informative. But this one fuel is now 145, na to pray say reserve no finish for road
Very funny.. If e finish make the person kukuma park am for road sell the car at once

1 Like

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by clefstone(m): 7:03am On Oct 14, 2016
I have never been in a position where I completely exhausted the fuel in my car. It takes discipline and planning

3 Likes

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by paschal47(m): 7:10am On Oct 14, 2016
peakmilkoftexas I'm so in love with the monicker

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You / What's The Most Reliable Car You've Ever Owned? / Which Will You Pick If You Are To Stick To 1 Car Brand For The Rest Of Your Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.