Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,781 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:50 PM

See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank (20198 Views)

6 Reasons You Should Not Drive Your Car On Empty Tank / Driving On An Empty Tank? You May Need This / Here’s Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On An Empty Tank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by AstuteJay: 7:11am On Oct 14, 2016
clefstone:
I have never been in a position where I completely exhausted the fuel in my car. It takes discipline and planning

It takes financial bouyancy basically

3 Likes

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by PeakMilkOfTexas(f): 7:31am On Oct 14, 2016
paschal47:
peakmilkoftexas I'm so in love with the monicker
Thank you Sir .. I just love Peak milk so much..
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Burgerlomo: 7:33am On Oct 14, 2016
mpone:
The warning light on the dashboard indicates that the fuel has reached the reserve level, which is about 10 to 15 percent of your tank’s total capacity. You can use that reference along with your car’s average fuel economy to calculate your remaining range, but it’s a good idea to not risk running the car until it’s dry.

While standing on the side of the road with your empty car waiting for help or walking to the nearest filling station and returning with a jerry can is embarrassing enough, there’s another serious concern that could impact your wallet. And it could be way more expensive than a tank of fuel.

In your fuel tank, there is a device called a fuel pump, which sends the fuel from the tank to the engine. The fuel pump relies on the gasoline in the tank to keep it cool and lubricated. Running the car with a low tank means that the pump isn’t staying as lubricated as it should and is at risk of overheating. The obvious downside to this is premature failure of the pump.

That’s a pretty expensive repair. Failing fuel pumps will lead to poor performance, particularly with a car not accelerating smoothly or starting at all.Your fuel pump also has a fuel filter, which can quickly get dirty if you drive with a low tank. Since any sediment or dirt sinks to the bottom of the tank, the fuel filter could end up getting blocked or could take in dirty fuel, which also has costly consequences.

Ignoring your car’s low fuel warning is generally a bad idea, and running your car on empty can cause serious and costly problems to your car’s fuel system

http://www.motoprof.com/2016/10/12/see-never-drive-car-empty-tank/

Wow! Thank you so much for this very useful information.
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by horlakunle25(m): 7:34am On Oct 14, 2016
cana882:
This is exactly what my car is going through right now. I always warn my brother not to drive that car on empty tank but he will never listen. I've changed the fuel pump twice but the car still gives problem. Don't know if the fuel pump is a fake.
hmmmmm!! I guess so! But try check if dey write PUMP ACTION 201 on it, if so dat means na original pump u dey use.
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by clefstone(m): 7:42am On Oct 14, 2016
AstuteJay:

It takes financial bouyancy basically
bros it's not about money, some people are just careless
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by MrGiddy(m): 7:49am On Oct 14, 2016
bakynes:
Some times when am broke I feel embarrassed buying fuel of 1000 or 500 so on a few occasions the fuel in the car finished totally on the road that I had to get a jerrycan to buy fuel but since then what I do is when am buoyant I buy full tank and make sure everytime I use the car I top it up with 2000 or 1000
bros u get moni na, me dey maintain my 2k per week ooo no time
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by LaClickLaBend: 7:54am On Oct 14, 2016
it's true tho...my car once had problems accelarating. For a long time, i thought it was plugs or something, cos it was always sounding like it wanted to go off...accidentally found that it was the fuel pump and since i fixed it...i've been enjoying my car like never before
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by paschal47(m): 8:05am On Oct 14, 2016
PeakMilkOfTexas:
you can call me Paschal, you are most welcome! ...it's in you.
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Nobody: 8:23am On Oct 14, 2016
nurey:
I have a feeling this thread would ride to front page in a G-wagon Biturbo engine

If this makes front page, I will tell the story of how I was beaten by a mare I4 with my V6 3xxhp

It has hit the front page. Let's hear your story. grin
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by femi4: 8:41am On Oct 14, 2016
philclem:
angry Bros,I just bought a toyota camry(2011) fuelled for a month am already tired! VERY EXPENSIVE angry
Sell it and buy a Bicycle
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by femi4: 8:43am On Oct 14, 2016
PeakMilkOfTexas:
Everyone loves milk
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by JoBabs(m): 8:43am On Oct 14, 2016
moscobabs:
informative thank u op

My car is Nissan quest 2000 mode V6 ..this car consume fuel like water although some mechanics told me is not that its V6 and there's no any sign that it consumes more fuel than normal . But if this fuel gauge shows reserve . I can still drive the car for the same distance I drive with 15litres bfre I top the fuel.

is there anything wrong with the car?

U can check ur fuel gauge.
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by moscobabs(m): 8:53am On Oct 14, 2016
JoBabs:

U can check ur fuel gauge.
bro ..is it not the one am seeing on the dashboard?
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by asumo12: 9:07am On Oct 14, 2016
grin grin grin
nurey:
I have a feeling this thread would ride to front page in a G-wagon Biturbo engine

If this makes front page, I will tell the story of how I was beaten by a mare I4 with my V6 3xxhp
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by wi5dom(m): 9:14am On Oct 14, 2016
when I saw the topic, I was like- shey person fit drive car wey fuel no dey inside? May be the "empty" means having below 2 or 5 litres in the fuel tank. LOL
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Alvin007: 9:30am On Oct 14, 2016
LadyMercedes:

It has hit the front page. Let's hear your story. grin

No mind am...my pop corn don nearly finish.. sad angry
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Alvin007: 9:32am On Oct 14, 2016
PeakMilkOfTexas:

That makes us two. grin

1 Like

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by emonkey(m): 9:35am On Oct 14, 2016
My V6 Kia Sorento is sluggish when fuel is getting low, but becomes "happy" when the tank is full. I guess this is the problem.

1 Like

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Kufie(m): 10:02am On Oct 14, 2016
nurey:

If this makes front page, I will tell the story of how I was beaten by a mare I4 with my V6 3xxhp.

The story.
As I borrowed a friend's 2010 Toyota Camry, feeling fly with my self as I have arrived (at least other drivers didn't know it wasn't mine) I was determined to show the world how fast my V6 368hp was, the fastest car in the world.
While cruising at 100km from CMS making my way to oshodi this Sunday morning, I was dusting a lot of cars leaving them behind and it feels good, I even made mince meat of Benz E350,didnt occur to me if a driver is determined to race you then you will know car pass car.

Looking at my rear view mirror I saw this shark like car coming close, closer and then their it was, a Kia optima, I laughed, increased my speed to 120,this car didn't budge, 130, the car was on MA tail, OK no problem shebi you wan chichumchin at 150km/h,this car didn't budge, and the driver was determined to show me, now side by side, a little glimpse at the reckless driver gave me a shocker that would forever be a night mare, a woman, my heart raced.

I needed to protect my self esteem and keep my Ego intact, I pushed my baby to 160km/h damning the outcome, moved to the middle Lane to make it easy to maneuver. At 180km/h the optima was backing down and I was already afraid, I consoled my self that I would have won if I could keep up my "ahead position" getting close to iyanoworo where the airtel billboard was fixed on an island.

Checking my rear mirror and left side mirror, the optima was no where to be found about to check my right, something swish pass me, I was nearing 190km/h I didn't want to pass that cause the handling at that speed is suicidal the optima was going, going, going passed my targeted finish line and didn't wait to say good bye. I was lucky enough to see 2.0T hitched on the boot.

If you know you are the woman in this story, I have a W12 engine waiting to race you. If you are not afraid of the challenge, let's meet same day, same time I need to boost my ego back.

I'm quite sure she used drafting to her advantage. That 2.0T is turbocharged BTW while your V6 is a Naturally aspirated engine which I doubt churns out over 300hp
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by nurey(m): 10:10am On Oct 14, 2016
Kufie:

I'm quite sure she used drafting to her advantage. That 2.0T is turbocharged BTW while your V6 is a Naturally aspirated engine which I doubt churns out over 300hp

3.5L V6 368hp 2010 Toyota Camry.

I never thought a common Kia would have that kind of power to disintegrate the Camry, that Kia has a 274hp I4 turbo.

The car wowed me when it kept up with me at 160km/h. Well have known now not to underestimate any car, I also nearly made same mistake when I wanted to race with a first generation sienna against one old model BMW V8. I didn't even know anything about it until someone posted classic cars and I saw the BMW car among them.
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Alvin007: 10:14am On Oct 14, 2016
nurey:

If this makes front page, I will tell the story of how I was beaten by a mare I4 with my V6 3xxhp.

The story.
As I borrowed a friend's 2010 Toyota Camry, feeling fly with my self as I have arrived (at least other drivers didn't know it wasn't mine) I was determined to show the world how fast my V6 368hp was, the fastest car in the world.
While cruising at 100km from CMS making my way to oshodi this Sunday morning, I was dusting a lot of cars leaving them behind and it feels good, I even made mince meat of Benz E350,didnt occur to me if a driver is determined to race you then you will know car pass car.

Looking at my rear view mirror I saw this shark like car coming close, closer and then their it was, a Kia optima, I laughed, increased my speed to 120,this car didn't budge, 130, the car was on MA tail, OK no problem shebi you wan chichumchin at 150km/h,this car didn't budge, and the driver was determined to show me, now side by side, a little glimpse at the reckless driver gave me a shocker that would forever be a night mare, a woman, my heart raced.

I needed to protect my self esteem and keep my Ego intact, I pushed my baby to 160km/h damning the outcome, moved to the middle Lane to make it easy to maneuver. At 180km/h the optima was backing down and I was already afraid, I consoled my self that I would have won if I could keep up my "ahead position" getting close to iyanoworo where the airtel billboard was fixed on an island.

Checking my rear mirror and left side mirror, the optima was no where to be found about to check my right, something swish pass me, I was nearing 190km/h I didn't want to pass that cause the handling at that speed is suicidal the optima was going, going, going passed my targeted finish line and didn't wait to say good bye. I was lucky enough to see 2.0T hitched on the boot.

If you know you are the woman in this story, I have a W12 engine waiting to race you. If you are not afraid of the challenge, let's meet same day, same time I need to boost my ego back.

There's something about that car....had a race with the 2008 model once...with an i4 2004 Honda Accord(EOD)..I came 2nd.. undecided
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Nobody: 10:56am On Oct 14, 2016
The same way I was driving from Ife to Ibadan in top speed, dismantling everybody (most who were not even interested in racing) until I sped past a Volk Wagen mini van.

The driver caught up with me and left me in the trail of his exhaust smoke, I tried to catchup but it was difficult.

I suppose the driver saw my strugggle and proceeded to taunting me by slowing down to let me get close enough then he'd pick up speed again - something that left me confused & drove me nuts.

I got to the house in Ibadan with ego badly bruised & anger towards my car seeping through my skin.

I parked & hopped on the internet then I discovered I was racing a year 2000 VW Sharan with turbo charged I4 engine with my mere I4 2004 Accord.

I stopped racing or trying to race anything that speeds past me on the road. Regardless if it is Keke Napep or Bajaj ever since that day, it is not worth it to die over an ego trip.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by streetzdreamz(m): 11:26am On Oct 14, 2016
nurey:

I never thought a common Kia would have that kind of power to disintegrate the Camry, that Kia has a 274hp I4 turbo.

The car wowed me when it kept up with me at 160km/h. Well have known now not to underestimate any car, I also nearly made same mistake when I wanted to race with a first generation sienna against one old model BMW V8. I didn't even know anything about it until someone posted classic cars and I saw the BMW car among them.
lols, your story is funny but it happens, thing is; never underestimate any car or the person behind the wheels,racing is fun, but I don't race cars no matter the urge, I just maintain a 80-90mph, have seen cases where drivers ended up with a knocked engine while trying to race other cars, just go at your own desired speed, its not a competition.............I can only imagine the look d lady gave you as she went past you,lol.
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by streetzdreamz(m): 11:30am On Oct 14, 2016
O0ni:
The same way I was driving from Ife to Ibadan in top speed, dismantling everybody (most who were not even interested in racing) until I sped past a Volk Wagen mini van.

The driver caught up with me and left me in the trail of his exhaust smoke, I tried to catchup but it was difficult.

I suppose the driver saw my strugggle and proceeded to taunting me by slowing down to let me get close enough then he'd pick up speed again - something that left me confused & drove me nuts.

I got to the house in Ibadan with ego badly bruised & anger towards my car seeping through my skin.

I parked & hopped on the internet then I discovered I was racing a year 2000 VW Sharan with turbo charged I4 engine with my mere I4 2004 Accord.

I stopped racing or trying to race anything that speeds past me on the road. Regardless if it is Keke Napep or Bajaj ever since that day, it is not worth it to die over an ego trip.
lols, that vehicle really moves for real, most commercial drivers are naughty when it comes to racing other cars,you'd see two vehicles of the same maker and year,but different engine size and output beneath their hoods,racing such vehicles is to ones detriment.
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Kufie(m): 11:34am On Oct 14, 2016
nurey:

I've owned the 2012 Mazda Axela (Mazda 3) before. Not the US spec which I think has a 2.2 Skyactiv engine as standard but the cheaper bullshit 1.6L unit popular in Japan. It's not turbocharged, has an annoying CVT yet has no trouble getting to 180km/h and staying there. Don't underrate these cars even though stability may not be their thing
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by philclem(m): 11:36am On Oct 14, 2016
femi4:
Sell it and buy a Bicycle
give me half of the money and come carry
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by streetzdreamz(m): 11:37am On Oct 14, 2016
moscobabs:
informative thank u op

My car is Nissan quest 2000 mode V6 ..this car consume fuel like water although some mechanics told me is not that its V6 and there's no any sign that it consumes more fuel than normal . But if this fuel gauge shows reserve . I can still drive the car for the same distance I drive with 15litres bfre I top the fuel.

is there anything wrong with the car?
nothing is wrong with your vehicle, the fuel reserve is sometimes 15-10 litres,so when that light comes up on ur dashboard, you still have a minimum of 10-15litres in your vehicle, if you wanna experiment this,after you've driven with d reserve and you wanna top up, buy just 10-15 litres and see where your gauge rises to, if all things are equal you'd get the reserve light come up almost immediately on your dashboard.
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by PeakMilkOfTexas(f): 11:56am On Oct 14, 2016
Alvin007:

That makes us two. grin
Lol. How are you?
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by moscobabs(m): 12:15pm On Oct 14, 2016
streetzdreamz:
nothing is wrong with your vehicle, the fuel reserve is sometimes 15-10 litres,so when that light comes up on ur dashboard, you still have a minimum of 10-15litres in your vehicle, if you wanna experiment this,after you've driven with d reserve and you wanna top up, buy just 10-15 litres and see where your gauge rises to, if all things are equal you'd get the reserve light come up almost immediately on your dashboard.
exactly bro.

sometime I even fight the rule attendant that my fuel is short when I buy 10-15 ltrs

thank u for this
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 14, 2016
streetzdreamz:
lols, that vehicle really moves for real, most commercial drivers are naughty when it comes to racing other cars,you'd see two vehicles of the same maker and year,but different engine size and output beneath their hoods,racing such vehicles is to ones detriment.

Indeed it does.

It frustrated me to push as far as 140+.

To this day, when I see the Sharan on the road, I feel very giddy & haunted cheesy

1 Like

Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by Alvin007: 12:59pm On Oct 14, 2016
PeakMilkOfTexas:

Lol. How are you?

I'm good... wink
How's your day going?
Re: See Why You Should Never Drive Your Car On Empty Tank by streetzdreamz(m): 1:02pm On Oct 14, 2016
O0ni:

Indeed it does.

It frustrated me to push as far as 140+.

To this day, when I see the Sharan on the road, I feel very giddy & haunted cheesy
140+ lols, and dt vehicle was just gliding on as if it was on glacier right ahead of you, d amazing part is,its just a four plugged engine, but it moves as though its gat a v6-v8 engine under its hood.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

As A Car Owner The Greatest Embarrassment That Can Happen To You / What's The Most Reliable Car You've Ever Owned? / Which Will You Pick If You Are To Stick To 1 Car Brand For The Rest Of Your Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.