Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:11 PM

I Hate Microsoft Files So Much.why?is It The Leading Cause Of Computer Breakdown - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / I Hate Microsoft Files So Much.why?is It The Leading Cause Of Computer Breakdown (895 Views)

Genius! Amazing Metal City Landscapes Made Of Computer Parts (pictures) / How To Prevent Computer Breakdown And Avoid Its Repair / Help With Computer Historical Development Of Computer Software And Hardware (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Hate Microsoft Files So Much.why?is It The Leading Cause Of Computer Breakdown by senator100(m): 1:16pm On Dec 28, 2006
Microsoft Word files are a security hazard.
Unlike standard data formats, Word files can contain programming code which can be executed by your computer automatically when the document is opened. Microsoft's motivation for including this "feature" in Word was to allow word processing macros to be saved along with the document. However, it was not long before malicious people began exploiting this design flaw by writing Word macro code to surreptitiously delete random files or otherwise damage one's computer. As a result, Word files are now notorious as the vector for dozens of computer viruses. When you receive a Word attachment by e-mail, do you really want to take the risk of welcoming a proverbial (and in computing terms, literal) Trojan horse into your system?

Alternative to microsoft
1.plain text
2.Html
3.Acrobat
4 Rich text format
Re: I Hate Microsoft Files So Much.why?is It The Leading Cause Of Computer Breakdown by senator100(m): 1:19pm On Dec 28, 2006
Receiving Word files in e-mail can mean minutes to hours of waiting for the documents to download. Compare this to the mere seconds it would take to transfer the equivalent amount of information as plain text
Re: I Hate Microsoft Files So Much.why?is It The Leading Cause Of Computer Breakdown by adewaleafolabi(m): 3:47pm On Dec 28, 2006
thats why i love open source. personally i don't use microsoft word i prefer open office and abiword
Re: I Hate Microsoft Files So Much.why?is It The Leading Cause Of Computer Breakdown by hayprof(m): 11:39pm On Dec 28, 2006
Microsoft Word files are a security hazard.
Unlike standard data formats, Word files can contain programming code which can be executed by your computer automatically when the document is opened. Microsoft's motivation for including this "feature" in Word was to allow word processing macros to be saved along with the document. However, it was not long before malicious people began exploiting this design flaw by writing Word macro code to surreptitiously delete random files or otherwise damage one's computer. As a result, Word files are now notorious as the vector for dozens of computer viruses. When you receive a Word attachment by e-mail, do you really want to take the risk of welcoming a proverbial (and in computing terms, literal) Trojan horse into your system?

Alternative to microsoft
1.plain text
2.Html
3.Acrobat
4 Rich text format

Hm I see shocked shocked I use OpenOffice too hope we are save? cool wink
Re: I Hate Microsoft Files So Much.why?is It The Leading Cause Of Computer Breakdown by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:35am On Dec 29, 2006
open office is safe if it wasn't we would have known because the source code is open and if there was a flaw in the program it would be seen and corrected

(1) (Reply)

Please How Do I Format My System / Rss Feeds / Mouse Tips: Make Your Mouse Roar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.