Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,476 members, 7,808,733 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:04 PM

How Do TV Stations Make Their Money? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / How Do TV Stations Make Their Money? (2870 Views)

NBC Directs Gotv, DSTV, Others To Allow Local Stations Run Without Subscription / Why Do Nigeria TV Stations Lack Good Picture Quality? / List 3 Of Your Favourite TV Stations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do TV Stations Make Their Money? by cooldipo(m): 3:57am On Oct 13, 2016
The last two decades as witness an upsurge in the number of privately owned TV stations.....making a once enviable height of achievement of the Awolowo led Western region govt and unceremonious achievement of today. A question I have not being able to find a satisfactory answer to is how these stations or channels are funded. I know for the big players, adverts may play a role but some of the mushroom ones that barely attracts little or nothing at all; how do they sustain themselves and keep their staff happy?
Re: How Do TV Stations Make Their Money? by Nobody: 4:05am On Oct 13, 2016
cooldipo:
The last two decades as witness an upsurge in the number of privately owned TV stations.....making a once enviable height of achievement of the Awolowo led Western region govt and unceremonious achievement of today. A question I have not being able to find a satisfactory answer to is how these stations or channels are funded. I know for the big players, adverts may play a role but some of the mushroom ones that barely attracts little or nothing at all; how do they sustain themselves and keep their staff happy?

They may be paid to air preachings, political or govt events. or subscription.
Re: How Do TV Stations Make Their Money? by kabrud: 5:15am On Oct 13, 2016
Wondering about that too, especially all these private ones. Pls don't tell me money raised from adverts programme sponsorship pays the bill cos I won't agree.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do TV Stations Make Their Money? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Oct 13, 2016
Lol,,,,,so I'm not alone in this?? Av been thinking abt it ,,,,maybe Mr.explorers will help

1 Like

Re: How Do TV Stations Make Their Money? by cooldipo(m): 8:10pm On Oct 13, 2016
I'm sure someone in the know would come along soon!
Re: How Do TV Stations Make Their Money? by cooldipo(m): 8:12pm On Oct 13, 2016
I just realised that the question has been asked here https://www.nairaland.com/2588130/how-tv-radio-station-make
Re: How Do TV Stations Make Their Money? by Explorers(m): 8:23pm On Oct 13, 2016
They earn by running Adverts, i think that's the main source of income.

The Advert can also come in form of programmes that will run live for like 30min-1hr every week.

School programmes, church programmes/preaching on air, businesses and others.

Public announcement also like wedding, burial, installation, Anniversaries, campaigns etc.

In some TV stations, 20secs of Advert/announcement that will be aired for 3 times in a day could cost about #100, 000 or more. From just one person.

Now imagine they're doing 5-10 of this in a day for different people, calculate it in one month.

tinydick

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do TV Stations Make Their Money? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Oct 13, 2016
Explorers:

The Advert can also come in form of programmes that will run live for like 30min-1hr every week.

Public announcement also like wedding, burial, installation, Anniversaries, campaigns etc.

In some TV stations, 20secs of Advert/announcement that will be aired for 3 times in a day could cost about #100, 000 or more. From just one person.

Now imagine they're doing 5-10 of this in a day for different people, calculate it in one month.

tinydick

Ok sir,,,,,Tanks

cooldipo:

U
kabrud:
Wondering about that too, especially all these private ones. Pls don't tell me money raised from adverts programme sponsorship pays the bill cos I won't agree.
Re: How Do TV Stations Make Their Money? by Electronzeez(m): 6:17pm On Oct 15, 2016
Explorers:

tinydick

Really ?? This was my opinion too but taking channels TV as an example they don't seem to air many advert ,right ?. You might want to think again considering how large they pay their staff .so you have got to tell me their income is beyond advert else we have got some probing to do on channels TV .

2 Likes

Re: How Do TV Stations Make Their Money? by cooldipo(m): 2:57am On Oct 16, 2016
Explorers:

tinydick

Thanks for your contribution but I beg to differ. Some privately owned TV Stations rarely put up advert. For example Channels Tv, Wazobia and the likes have tons of staff and you wonder how they get by at the end of the month . One idea that comes to mind is that most cable Tv operators like dstv, startimes and the likes do pay the stations for their content generation and when you take a look at the number of stations they may have to pay too......you will want to query if that position makes sense too

(1) (Reply)

Amaka Igwe's Directing Workshop / Dsr 450 Video Camera For Sale 1.7m / Digital Satellite Finder MPEG 4 Full Hd An CCTV MONITOR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.