Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,902 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:40 AM

Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country (7252 Views)

Excitement In Borno As Troops Reclaim Gudumbari / 90% Of Boko Haram Are Foreigners,northern Youths Rise Up And Protect Your Land / Youths Rise Up N Fight For Your Right (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AloyEmeka6: 9:54pm On Oct 20, 2009

Rise and reclaim your country, Achebe challenges Nigerian youth

WRITTEN BY SAHARA REPORTERS, NEW YORK    
MONDAY, 19 OCTOBER 2009 10:59

Professor Achebe and Ribadu at his home last Thursday

Chinua Achebe, the author "Things Fall Apart," one of the world’s most popular novels, says the time has come for Nigerians to challenge their bad leadership, or be doomed.
The famous teacher and writer was speaking last Thursday at a meeting with the former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mr. Nuhu Ribadu in his quiet home Bard College at Redhook/Annadale-on-Hudson, a two-hour drive from New York. As what was originally planned as an informal meeting blossomed into a wide-ranging conversation about the state of the Nigerian nation, Professor Achebe said those looting Nigeria needed to be stopped, and urged Ribadu to reach out to young Nigerians to rise up to the challenge of halting the corruption and ineptitude of the nation's rulers.

“We should feel we have come around and that we missed the bus the first time and that the correction of the situation in our country is in our hands. We can’t call the British back even though some people have suggested that. But we can’t allow this to go on any longer. Already our people are getting used to living in that ugly style,” the professor of literature said.

He declared: “This is the time to bring an end to it. If we do nothing, we are doomed.”

The meeting with Ribadu, at the exclusive liberal arts college founded in Annandale–on-Hudson, started at about 2 p.m. and lasted for several hours. After 15 years as the Charles P. Stevenson Professor of Languages and Literature at Bard College in Annandale-on-Hudson, New York, Achebe will be leaving the school at the end of the year to join the faculty of the Brown University as the David and Marianna Fisher University Professor of Africana Studies.

Mr. Ribadu had driven from Washington DC to meet Professor Achebe on what he described as a "private visit" in appreciation of Achebe’s contribution to humanity. He said that Achebe remains one of the most genuine personalities of Nigerian origin in the entire world. He lamented that a nation that could produce a world-class writer of his calibre could not produce a national leader capable of managing a local government.

He therefore called on Achebe to use his clout and powerful voice to ensure that Nigeria finds its feet and place in the world, particularly, in ensuring that the nation finds the courage to run free and fair elections and elects good leaders.

http://saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4007:rise-and-reclaim-your-country-achebe-challenges-nigerian-youth&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18

Professor Chinua Achebe meets with Nuhu Ribadu at Bard College in Annandale-on-Hudson

More photos of Achebe and Ribadu shot last week in the US :

http://www.saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_rsgallery2&Itemid=425&gid=23&limit=12
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AloyEmeka6: 11:43pm On Oct 20, 2009
E easy.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by SapeleGuy: 11:52pm On Oct 20, 2009
Ribadu is playing to the gallery and getting ready for the elections, check out the poses. But we are wise to your tricks nah the turn of south east or south south.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by OmoAlex: 12:02am On Oct 21, 2009
Na wa for our chronic Amnesia for Naija oh

Is it not the same Ribadu that disregarded all human rights and dignity in order to please and protect his boss ?

The Torture tzar is now trying to inspire sympathy from the same people he held in so much disregard while in power by hanging around people with credibility.

We still remember you oh Ribadu, all this one na wuru wuru angry
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AloyEmeka6: 12:05am On Oct 21, 2009
What has Ribadu got to do with this now?
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Kobojunkie: 12:10am On Oct 21, 2009
Seriously, we need to, at some point quit with the excuses and start doing something. Everyone, even Obama talk the same thing. People ( Africans even Nigerians) need to start reclaiming their countries and their rights. At the end of the day, there is no other solution to the problem that continues to plague the continent.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by babapupa: 12:14am On Oct 21, 2009
What has Ribadu got to do with this now?

Beats the hell out of me,

Sounds like people just get axe to grind against anything and everything.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AloyEmeka6: 12:25am On Oct 21, 2009
babapupa:

Beats the hell out of me,

Sounds like people just get axe to grind against anything and everything.

Nigerians are so angry that they can attack and criticize themselves.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AloyEmeka6: 12:57am On Oct 21, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Seriously, we need to, at some point quit with the excuses and start doing something. Everyone, even Obama talk the same thing. People ( Africans even Nigerians) need to start reclaiming their countries and their rights. At the end of the day, there is no other solution to the problem that continues to plague the continent.
How do we start? From Nairaland?
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Kobojunkie: 4:03am On Oct 21, 2009
I don't know where it should start at this moment but all that matters is that someone STARTS. The Status quo is fast working against us now. I mean it used to be "E go better" state but it ain't that way anymore and the world is fast getting tired of babysitting Africa.

We claim we are the oldest people on the planet, but we don't even act like it. We are by far the most immature of them all.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Nobody: 6:49am On Oct 21, 2009
Ribadu is only acting. I'm sure someone with Chinua Achebe's credibility can't fear nothing of Ribadu cause I'm sure death doesn't scare him a bit so Ribadu isn't a match for his braveness. He said what needed to be said. He said what most real and fearless minds would say. I'm sure he knows Ribadu is corrupt that's why he faced him with the corruption in Nigeria. These guys are getting old and their time is almost up. Who will stand up for us? They all stood their ground during their time. Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe, Ojukwu (You don't have to like him), Awolowo (you still don't have to like him) and Gani Fawehimi. All these guys are dying and this Hip Hop generation seems to be an end to the struggle but in a bad way.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Nobody: 8:48am On Oct 21, 2009
@Achebe

Ehm. . . you mean the cowardly Nigerian youths? Sorry, you lost on this one. sad

Aloy~Emeka:

How do we start? From Nairaland?

Something like that have been going here for sometime now. A notable and well publicized one was the fraud called "Lightupnigeria" initiated by some mischievious greedy bastards. They made us believe it was a protest against the poor power supply in Nigeria only for us to find out it was a musical event to enrich their pockets.

So, I will advise the graceful Achebe not to bank his hopes on Nigerian youths as they even worst than his generation.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by naso2(m): 10:07am On Oct 21, 2009
nuzo:

So, I will advise the graceful Achebe not to bank his hopes on Nigerian youths as they even worst than his generation.

God bless you jare. The corruption in NANS and the various SUGs in our higher institutions make the PDP criminals look like angels.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by presido1: 11:01am On Oct 21, 2009
nuzo:

@Achebe

Ehm. . . you mean the cowardly Nigerian youths? Sorry, you lost on this one. sad
Something like that have been going here for sometime now. A notable and well publicized one was the fraud called "[b]Lightupnigeria" initiated by some mischievious greedy bastards. They made us believe it was a protest against the poor power supply in Nigeria only for us to find out it was a musical event to enrich their pockets[/b].
I laff in NEPA and PHC. Thought as much. Pls can we have names of the organisers.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by ud4u: 11:12am On Oct 21, 2009
Good advice there from Achebe but not Ribadu standing by because he is same of same
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by citizenY(m): 11:25am On Oct 21, 2009
Honestly, ma bodi no begin dey feel good with this Ribadu again? I really can't figure out why.

For Hausa dem say water no dey sour for nothing. All this shadow boxing and playing to the gallery.

Nairalanders, make we begin ask questions., Abeg
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by fekwenugo2: 12:47pm On Oct 21, 2009
It is well with my country.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by ayo84(m): 12:52pm On Oct 21, 2009
well everybody is saying we need to rise up and save this country,but we are faced with reformers who cant take action, during the abacha era, people were bold enought o organise marches and protests but now we are all chickening out.We need action,imagine what we happen if we youths take to the streets and start a peaceful one million march against this present government.
[flash=300,107]http://www.del-premium.com/advert2.swf[/flash]
shop online for naija tshirts
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Nobody: 12:56pm On Oct 21, 2009
Most times people say only God will save us, an i critisize them but now i realize there is a lot of wisdom in that statement. We have a lot of faith in God and our religious institutions. Now if we can use religion positively we would achieve our freedom. Imagine what will happen if all the churches say No church on sunday rather we are marching to the villa to deman for the removal of Aoondoakaa, Iwu and implementation of the Uwais report and same thing with the mosques. DO you know the population of the masses who worship. The religious organizations are the best avnue to mobilize people to sy no to bad ledership. Think about it.
Its time the church raise their heads up and open thier eyes from prayers and act. Jesus was a Socail Changer. He is brought the greatest changes to the reliogious order, enough of Siddon look and pray, the church should rise and do the work of God by standing for truth, fairness and justice. We have heard enough of sermons, Its time o take the bull by the horns and do like Rev. Martin Luther, one sunday He said Brethren, we aill not do church today, we will walk accross that bridge and they did
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Rosabelle(f): 1:05pm On Oct 21, 2009
The solution for Nigeria is for the churches to be taxed. Every garrage is now a church where people are being promised miracles from God. Its is all a lie. It is the biggest deception and greatest scam in Nigeria. The church!
Tax these churches and you'l see how they'l reduce.

People are being decieved into thinking they can pray and nigeria will be better. It is a lie.
The less churches we have and the less religious we are, the clearer people will think. If you reduce the churches, people will start to ask questions from their government and not from God. They will go to their local government charimans house to ask why they dont have NEPA instead of going to 5pm mass and 7pm prayer meeting. (You can pray in your house with your family you know).
They will stop praying that a messiah be sent down to erradicate corruption. The corruption they themselves are only too happy to encourage.

Prayer without action is nothing.

A good 75% of those churches are visited by the people in power and the pastors dont make the leaders responsible for their actions. And this only happens because everyone has been bribed into silence.
I am a great believer. I am a christian. But the churches in Nigeria are too many. Too many.

If the church joined in in the education of the masses, if the church encouraged the people to go out to the streets and talk until they are heard, if the churches would encourage its members to create a revolution of dialogue in their various fields of work, Nigeria will be better.
But with the way the church of today abuses its hold on the people by making them believe the more they put down for offering and the more they come to church, the more they shall be blessed . . . . . well then, Nigeria is in for it.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by kosovo(m): 1:07pm On Oct 21, 2009
@SapeleGuy
Ribadu is playing to the gallery and getting ready for the elections, check out the poses. But we are wise to your tricks nah the turn of south east or south south.
Honestly, you talk too much,
I do not care if it's south-south, east-west , west south, north-north or wat eva
that's our major problem,  Tribalism,
let anyone who is capable of resurrecting the dreams of our founding fathers hold the position, or Nigeria will remain doomed! angry
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Rosabelle(f): 1:08pm On Oct 21, 2009
aisha2:

Most times people say only God will save us, an i critisize them but now i realize there is a lot of wisdom in that statement. We have a lot of faith in God and our religious institutions. Now if we can use religion positively we would achieve our freedom. Imagine what will happen if all the churches say No church on sunday rather we are marching to the villa to deman for the removal of Aoondoakaa, Iwu and implementation of the Uwais report and same thing with the mosques. DO you know the population of the masses who worship. The religious organizations are the best avnue to mobilize people to sy no to bad ledership. Think about it

ayo84:

well everybody is saying we need to rise up and save this country,but we are faced with reformers who cant take action, during the abacha era, people were bold enought o organise marches and protests but now we are all chickening out.We need action,imagine what we happen if we youths take to the streets and start a peaceful one million march against this present government.
[flash=300,107]http://www.del-premium.com/advert2.swf[/flash]
shop online for naija tshirts

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH. May the Lord bless both of you cos it seems as we all were typing, we were on the same wave length.
We now have a democracy. No body can shoot you down. No protest has ever made change like a silent march.
We dont want violence, we dont want a revolution with arms. All other countries who went to arms never knew peace.
We want a revolution of words, like the black man in america used to gain his freedom.
People, the time is NOW!
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by proudly9ja(m): 1:08pm On Oct 21, 2009
Wh\at is wrong with most of you? So in all Chinua Achebe said all you can see is Ribadu? Is Ribadu now the President or owner of Nigeria?

Are you people not feeling the pain already? Why can't we take Achebe's message and leave whoever he addressed at that point alone abi the thing no dey pain una as Nigeria be so?

For me I am tired and fed up. Nigeria is OUR country. We cannot continue to allow charlatans and mediocres treat us like we are the biggest fools on earth. There are over 150million of us that is 150,000,000!!! If we let them continue like this, if we let PDP or Mega Party or any one of those idiots parading themselves as political parties rule us from 2011, I doubt if we will survive the next four years.

Something has to be done. I don't know what but Im sure we have strategists and good planners and executionists in the house.

WE HAVE GOT TO TAKE OUR COUNTRY BACK!
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by chivo: 1:14pm On Oct 21, 2009
please if you people are about rise up, due remember this is Africa where even peaceful is not tolerate in any manner,a case study is that of guinea Conakry last month.About 300 youths where mascaraed by the army.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Rosabelle(f): 1:16pm On Oct 21, 2009
We organise a march. A peaceful demonstration where people will come together on a saturday or sunday and march round a city with banners.
There should be no shouting and no arms. No violence of any kind.
Lagos and Abuja for starters. This has to be done at least once inn 5months. Constructively and in an organised manner!
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Nobody: 1:16pm On Oct 21, 2009
A good time to start will be 29th November when NLC intends to protest deregulation
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Rosabelle(f): 1:16pm On Oct 21, 2009
chivo:

please if you people are about rise up, due remember this is Africa where even peaceful is not tolerate in any manner,a case study is that of guinea Conakry last month.About 300 youths where mascaraed by the army.
Whilst I appriciate your concern. I ask you. What do we do instead?? PRAY??
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by POSAKOSA1(m): 1:19pm On Oct 21, 2009
chivo:

same thing I was gonna say. WHO WANTS TO DIE FOR NOTHING ? Even the people you are fighting for will not remember your first initial. grin grin grin grin grin

Nigeria's disease is NOT as simplistic as some people make it seems.

TOO MANY STAKEHOLDERS who want Nigeria to keep failing so as to gain as much as they can. Do you know how many American Billionaires who would be NOTHING today if Nigeria was actually a civilized and proper country.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by POSAKOSA1(m): 1:21pm On Oct 21, 2009
Let Ribadu RETURN ALL of the money he has stolen. and WHY the heck is he NOT in Nigeria, Let him RETURN AS WELL. The powers that be are just tooo POWERFUL. cool cool cool cool cool

Look at the likes of Fela ? Dele Giwa ? Ken Saro wiwa ? , we don't even celebrate our heroes.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Nobody: 1:23pm On Oct 21, 2009
We were all inspired by Obama. There would have been no Obama today if Rev. King just kept praying or if Rev. King and co had not said enough is enough, enough complaining on the internet, If we are going to move forward we have to act. The leaders will not change, they like things just the way there are
Posakosa, this is not about Ribadau, its about us and our nation. Yes Dele Giwa , Fel and Gani are gone, but they gave a good account of themselves so much that a little girl like me from Jos can hear of dele Giwa, Gani and the rest. We owe it to ourselves to give a good account of our selves too. If they were quiet and just complained without acting, They may have lived longer lives but you would ot have known their names today
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by citizenY(m): 1:24pm On Oct 21, 2009
IF YOU WNT TO EAT OMELETTE, U HAVE TO BREAK EGGS.

LET'S START ROM NOV 29TH
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by POSAKOSA1(m): 1:25pm On Oct 21, 2009
aisha2:

We were all inspired by Obama. There would have been no Obama today if Rev. King just kept praying or if Rev. King and co had not said enough is enough, enough complaining on the internet, If we are going to move forward we have to act. The leaders will not change, they like things just the way there are
Posakosa, this is not about Ribadau, its about us and our nation.

Do you live in Nigeria ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Algeria Confirms Boko Haram’s Ties To Al Qaeda / Why I Don't Support Biafra By An Anioma Man / Biafran Recognition By Hollywood

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63