Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,839 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:44 AM

"Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. (10122 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Poses In Her Hometown In Abba, Anambra State / Chimamanda Adichie At Geneva Resort, Awka (Pictures) / Chimamanda Adichie On Trump, Racism And The KKK (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. by ephi123(f): 9:25am On Oct 14, 2016
Pavore9:

Over reading dey worry me! cheesy cheesy

It is an addiction, l don't want to get over! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Correct! cheesy
I completely agree. It's always nice to see those who share a love for reading. Nice one.
Re: "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. by Nobody: 9:25am On Oct 14, 2016
this woman thrives on enthrenchinh divisions. Civil war, feminism, it's always one thing or another. Behind the smile there is a lot of hate in her heart.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. by Nobody: 9:46am On Oct 14, 2016
foladara777:

Another idiot

Another demented imbeci.le
Re: "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. by Afrobasic(m): 9:56am On Oct 14, 2016
There a three types of cancer perculiar to females
1 - breast cancer
2 - Ceverical cancer
3 - feminism

Two can be cured.

Sadly, Adiche has the incurable cancer. cry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. by peterphd(m): 10:02am On Oct 14, 2016
All these feminists trying to encroach into male space while holding onto the privileges of the 'weaker sex' sef..

She made a point with the reward for reading bit though.
Re: "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. by OCtheKing: 10:03am On Oct 14, 2016
Who is giving this stupid woman relevance sef? Who she even epp? Nonsense
Re: "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. by jayAjoku(m): 11:30am On Oct 14, 2016
Well i can understand rewarding a child for hardwork .but this sha maybe she meant create a reward system for reading. . She get her act together on the whole sexism and feminism thing sha . Yes women are underrated in some parts of the world, the key is not acting like you don't need a man's help but acknowledging you can do with or without help from a man . Men love when women do stuff they see men do and still act like ladies
Re: "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. by Emassive(m): 12:17pm On Oct 14, 2016
All this Lgbt perverts using style to write that it's okay for your child to adopt a sense of being an opposite sex that they truly aren't. Are they not supposed to kill and stifle that aspect of their spirit in the first place to act as the sex that they were born with? Dumb write please "Receive Sense" right now
Re: "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. by Oahray: 12:26pm On Oct 14, 2016
ItsQuinn:
A lot of people on this thread do not understand about the psychological and mental benefits of what she means by "pay your child to read"....... Nigerians will always be gullible and lack wisdom to move forward, we lack creativity and can't think outside the box, that's why we will continue to remain where we are......as if they will not thank the gods that their parents are paying them to read. rubbish! hypocrisy of the highest order! undecided
madam why are you hyperventilating? lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. by Nobody: 12:32pm On Oct 14, 2016
Oahray:
madam why are you hyperventilating? lipsrsealed
Re: "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. by Oahray: 12:42pm On Oct 14, 2016
ItsQuinn:
why do you think Nigerians are (and would always be) gullible, lacking wisdom, creativity and the ability to think outside the box?

When you look in the mirror, is that what you see?

1 Like

Re: "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. by Nobody: 1:47pm On Oct 14, 2016
When I look at the mirror that's not what I see....most Nigerians are like that, that's the truth though sad
Oahray:
why do you think Nigerians are (and would always be) gullible, lacking wisdom, creativity and the ability to think outside the box?

When you look in the mirror, is that what you see?
Re: "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. by Nobody: 2:03pm On Oct 14, 2016
foladara777:

Another idiot

Who ever that's behind this moniker is synonymous with insults and foul languages, it was the same insultive comments that makes me to identify with your moniker

before you come for my head as I'm not immune to your insults, I'm not blaming you, rather your background which influenced your behaviours
Re: "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. by uzoexcel(m): 2:47pm On Oct 14, 2016
reading novels is hard grin grin grin grin grin grin
uzolexis:

just when i had given up on seeing a sensible reply on this thread.
Thank you.
Re: "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. by Missmossy(f): 3:19pm On Oct 14, 2016
Some people obviously don't get her point. Too bad yet she typed in English. All in all she is trying to buttress the fact that children naturally get to enjoy doing things in as much they do it anyway often. Thats where the "pay your child to read" came up. As they get rewarded by cash it further motivates them and naturally a well brought up child should know that the benefits to be enjoyed goes beyond monetary ones.
Re: "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. by Oahray: 3:45pm On Oct 14, 2016
ItsQuinn:
When I look at the mirror that's not what I see....most Nigerians are like that, that's the truth though sad
you didn't say 'most'
Re: "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. by HaneefahRN(f): 3:57pm On Oct 14, 2016
This makes so much sense
Re: "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. by UIA04(f): 4:52pm On Oct 14, 2016
sisisioge:

grin grin grin

Very funny deduction there! Guy, this new age has totally moved away from reading so whatever it takes now is welcomed just to get them to read. A stipend promised to Junior is enough to encourage him to read. Reading does wonders for a child's mind. Encourage them to read pls.

Are you answering him, it's obvious he didn't even READ the article lol
Re: "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. by UIA04(f): 5:04pm On Oct 14, 2016
Olukokosir:
Pls " I am nt understanding" I shud pay my child to read even after payin his/her skool fees nd d likes ??

A kind of incentive thou .... Rather da to pay him, I ll gv him/her sumtin else dat ll motivate him
sir she was not talking about school books. She talking about books tha relate to different things, which spark your inquisitive news, and make you think beyond what's taught in school (by force)

Some of us have that natural inquisitiveNess, but some children need some kind of motivation, reward system to know what they are doing is right.
Remember Ben Carson, I think his mom used television. Cover certain chapters and youlld be able to watch tv

As much as spanking isn't bad, it should be last resort for serious cases. You as a parent should be able to think out of the box on ways to instill discipline without always resorting to the whip, that's a short cut and you know the evils of shortcuts.
Re: "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. by Nobody: 5:43pm On Oct 14, 2016
My bad smiley
Oahray:
you didn't say 'most'
Re: "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. by Newway2(m): 8:10pm On Oct 14, 2016
Ol'boy, u be reader o. U started early sha. Mine was in secondary school & e be like say I read pass u.
I read most of "The African Series" "Pacesetters" "James Hadley Chase" Robert Ludlum" Sidney Sheldon" "Mario Puzo" etc. I also read some "Mills & Boons", "Harleyquine" etc series that was my sister's tuff. While she was was reading romance, I was reading crime & espionage series.
I even have an unpublished novel (titled : Dealier Than The Gun) that was rejected by "MacMillan". I still keep d rejection letter till date. someday, I shall put d story into cinema. grin grin grin

Reading was in-thing in those days.

Sadly, our children don't read anymore & we complain that they are shallow. Why won't they be shallow?

Reading opens up a child to serious imaginations.

I still read bizness books uptill now.

Pavore9:
She is so right, there should be incentives. Though l read as a child to escape into another world, having to have read Things Fall Apart, Kongi's Harvest, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Our Husband Has Gone Mad Again, Rob Roy etc all before l finished primary school. While reading on the bed, it made my mind travel round the world! While l was in Secondary school, l did save to buy second-hand novels because l was addicted to reading. cheesy cheesy

Reading outside school texts is real fun! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: "Pay Your Child To Read"- Chimamanda Adichie On Child Care, Feminism. by TTNL: 1:47am On Oct 29, 2018
BOOKS FOR KIDS (NURSERY & PRIMARY SCHOOL BOOKS)

We are into bulk sale of children educational books like: story books, continuous weekly assessment, effective writing skills, colouring book for all classes, text books, famous poems for children - poems kids will love, educational materials, quantitative & verbal reasoning, e.t.c

FOR BOOKINGS, CALL:
07066880314 , +2348020805269

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Meaning Of The saying" The Beautiful Ones Are Not Yet Born" / LOST IN UNIPORT (a Story Of Vengeance, Crime And Betrayal) ft chimexplosive / In Hope After Emptiness (an Interesting Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.