Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,728 members, 7,802,191 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:48 AM

How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. (33252 Views)

‘NYSC Changed My Perception Of Igbos’ / How NYSC Camp Changed My View Of The Northerners - Akeredolu Odunayo / Tell Us How NYSC Travel And Inside Your Various Camp Is Going? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by adejaresalami1(m): 9:44pm On Oct 16, 2016
Wow...what a nice write up but one point is we are never one.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Nobody: 9:44pm On Oct 16, 2016
That's kaduna, he's talking about Zamfara
2dugged:
I know a neighbor who lost her son during service in kaduna, that you went to a good place, you should be grateful to God
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by JoBabs(m): 9:45pm On Oct 16, 2016
Ok
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by ConcNiggress56(f): 9:46pm On Oct 16, 2016
doesnt change my perspective about nysc a bit.. the whole programe is a scam

11 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Darey00(m): 9:47pm On Oct 16, 2016
The OP is very correct with this write up. Am serving in Katsina state and im loving it. What strikes me is that people can greet to a fault here. Anywhere we go we hear "Mallam good morning", mind u we rarely wear our NYSC clothing even when going to school, except on CDS days.
For bonus points just try learning the Hausa language and your rep will increase 100%. Just stay in your lane and respect yourself and u will be fine.
Last thought: They take football VERY seriously here

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Nobody: 9:47pm On Oct 16, 2016
ItsQuinn:
That's kaduna, he's talking about Zamfara
and the topic says north, and they are both northern states

7 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Nobody: 9:48pm On Oct 16, 2016
1m likes op

3 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by lastmessenger: 9:49pm On Oct 16, 2016
Just thank God u stayed and never experienced any religious crisis.

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by rabex123(m): 9:49pm On Oct 16, 2016
oweniwe:
They made you comfortable cos you're a corper. Try staying behind after Nysc.... Nobody will beg you to run
umu
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by ginggerxy: 9:49pm On Oct 16, 2016
Bro how many years you don stay for north? Don't be too fast to judge you might be wrong

2 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by DuBLINGreenb(m): 9:50pm On Oct 16, 2016
No I did not make page 1 whyyyy
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by selch(m): 9:51pm On Oct 16, 2016
True, the north is actually a wonderful place to live, it's not as bad as people in d South paint it, the only rule and warning in d North is stay away from religious arguments and talks if ur not a Muslim, (no insult meant) apart from that ud meet trust worthy and a lot of friendly honest people

3 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Sirdayor(m): 9:51pm On Oct 16, 2016
LordIsaac:
B
But there are people who came to the same North and are not alive today. The most recent was the pastor's wife who was murdered. So my brother, your view is not absolute. Just thank God you weren't a victim of illiteracy and fanatiscm!

There are people who never leave their state also, and are no more alive today! Therefore, lets drop this tribalism & religion sentiment. Its just politician gimmicks to play on our intelligent.
GOD BLESS NIGERIA!!!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Nobody: 9:52pm On Oct 16, 2016
I agree with you 100% smiley
ConcNiggress56:
doesnt change my perspective about nysc a bit.. the whole programe is a scam

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Nobody: 9:52pm On Oct 16, 2016
hmmm, it is good to have a good experience, for those that it is bored out from their encounter. it depends on perceptive . I think you should just thank God for His mercy on you, He turned your fears to testimonies.
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Nobody: 9:53pm On Oct 16, 2016
Meh undecided
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Myde4naija(m): 9:55pm On Oct 16, 2016
oweniwe:
They made you comfortable cos you're a corper. Try staying behind after Nysc.... Nobody will beg you to run
myopic mindset

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by KHAYGOLD(m): 9:56pm On Oct 16, 2016
I served in the north in the year 2011. Hausa people are loving and friendly. The most important is to understand their culture and don't argue about religion. Igbo are worst, just that they disguised under civilization. Yoruba people don't respect you, which is because of their level of exposure. Hausa people are friendly and respect foreigners that respect their religion and culture.

5 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Progressive01(m): 9:56pm On Oct 16, 2016
Everywhere you go, the only people seen to be causing problems related to ethnicity and religion are iPod vagabonds. The hate in their hearts could make the devil himself quiver in terror.

Forget my siggy, it is but a statement of protest against their unbridled idiocy.

God bless Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Nobody: 9:56pm On Oct 16, 2016
You won't know until you see something.
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Sealeddeal(m): 9:57pm On Oct 16, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
you can stay in the south and lose all you have too...things happens...no be only north wahala dey...millitansts for SS,kidnapping for SE ,ritual for SW...no where is safe ....God help us
Stop making it look like you don't understand what the guy said?

6 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by greggng: 9:57pm On Oct 16, 2016
I will respond to you when you ve successfully completed ur service. For now I reserve my comment.

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Mbmar: 10:00pm On Oct 16, 2016
Chriswazo:

That not withstanding, i understand your position towards them, we should always keep a wary eye wherever we see ourselves.
BRAIN WASHED BY BIAFRA ABRACADABRA. OOLOODOH!!! ELEDEY

4 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by babyfaceafrica: 10:00pm On Oct 16, 2016
Sealeddeal:
Stop making it look like you don't understand what the guy said?
Oga nowhere is safe

2 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Ontop123(m): 10:02pm On Oct 16, 2016
Bla Bla Bla Ana ako heri. All in the name of blogging.

1 Like

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by Jdesilentkiller(m): 10:02pm On Oct 16, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
Northerners are generally honest and friendly and they can smoke shisha and pipe..chai...I fear those people...dey don't really drink like that but love women die...my advisse to anyoe who wants to visit north is to go to the soji ones like kano,kaduna,niger,abuja and jos.......all dose jigawa,sokoto ,gombe and kebbi too dry a beg
My guy Gombe is different than you imagine.... They are 50/50..... North Muslim, South Christian and central is combined... Christians have deputy governor slot no matter what unlike the Kano, jigawa, zamfara , Bauchi, yobe etc......
Please ask questions before you condemn innocent people.
Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by davidif: 10:03pm On Oct 16, 2016
Wow! This is probably the best thing I ever read on nairaland. Thanks for the write up.

6 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by gqboyy(m): 10:03pm On Oct 16, 2016
Nice write up op. There are good people everywhere and indeed those stories are mere exaggerations but mark you there are ruthless fellows u wouldn't wanna see even in your dreams down here in the north. People who don't even observe their compulsory daily prayers are the ones you will see brandishing daggers and axes during religious crisis. I will advice anyone to be cautious whenever you r in the north. Just a mere advice oooo, for I am a northerner and born in the north. My birth place ain't completely safe. I know my people

12 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by deliveryboy: 10:04pm On Oct 16, 2016
Great one OP, I did my NYSC in Abia state, before I left the north for the orientation camp in Bende LGA I heard so many horrible stories about Abia state from eating human flesh in Isiangwa LGAs, Isikwuator etc to robbery and kidnapping cases and ritual killings. To be honest I had my only robbery experience in the state, aside from this singular case, the rest was fun, I met great people, great families, I had a number of women I called mummy and they took me as their own son, fed me and shielded me from trouble in some cases. On completion of my service year, I couldn't believe I was shedding tears on the day I was leaving Ukwa East LGA, I wasn't the only one, my neighbors were also crying on seeing me leave their town. I have visited the town after then and they are so loving and always happy to receive me. Believe it or not I am chatting with a friend I met in Ukwa East as I type this comment. Most times people go back home to propagate the odd stuff they experienced, but in truth all parts of Nigeria are beautiful to live in. I was born in the north, had all my education in the north (Kaduna), I have never witnessed any so called religious crisis, the northern region is about the most cosmopolitan comprising of all ethnic groups and religion. I love Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by MRSALT: 10:05pm On Oct 16, 2016
Zamfara, Sokoto and Kebbi do not have violent street urchins like Kaduna, Kano, Bauchi and in recent times, Katsina. Your experience in Zamfara cannot account for all northern states. More so north is generally ok at peace time. But those that give you cold water are thesame people that will slit your throat in event of any crises. Many victims of northern madness thought that north was land flowing with honey, just like you. I know of one Ibo boy that returned from London to do his NYSC in Bauchi. He eulogised northerners better than you. His throat was later slit by thesame Almajiris that ran errand for him. I stayed in the north for 7 years travelling to about 12 states. I am giving you a real fact about the situation in the north.

13 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by TeamSimple(m): 10:05pm On Oct 16, 2016
Whenever i put up a sharp defense for the north here on nairaland,people thinks am a northerner of probably not human.

I schooled in ABU zaria for four years and during the course of my study i got to develop so much respect for the northerners.

Crisis aftermath of the 2011 general elections in the north will forever make them a hero to me. I and my friends staying off campus were shielded by the youths from danger all tru the crisi,infact i spent my remaing 1year plus living in an adopted house. They treated me like a king. I left my hostel and wouldnt mind spending 300naira daily to go 2 class from home,just because i felt love and hospitality.

Yes the north might not be as educated as the west. But when we take a look at their number and lifestyle we would know why its that way. They believe life is just for a short period,everything is vanity even education.

4 Likes

Re: How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. by folem: 10:06pm On Oct 16, 2016
The next cartoon of Muhammed drawn in Finland & it's attendant riots may prove you wrong if not fataly wrong.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Reasons Why You Shouldn't Stay In Family House During NYSC / "Any Lady Wearing NYSC Khaki Trouser Has Committed An Offence Before God" - Man / Enugu State Increases Corpers Allowance To N30,000 & N20,000 For Doctors, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.