Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,492 members, 7,808,824 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:29 PM

GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government (48503 Views)

Access Bank To Shut Down 346 Banks Nationwide (List) / More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules / Heritage Bank Should Be Shut Down – Company Tells Court, CBN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by d33types: 7:47pm On Oct 15, 2016
flokii:

Seriously?

well, I hold a certificate in public health from the best school of public health in d world.. I've seen CDC reports on most of these things, studied toxins and lots more.. it's more like residual knowledge now so it will be hard to give links

Buh you can look 'em up online and see

Fortunately, I hold an MPH from an ivy league.

One of my numerous seminar was on introduction of gmo's to developing countries: cost implication. If not for anonymity I'd have dropped the link to my work.

I might doubt your degree if you conclusively write off all gmo's as harmful. Most of our tomatoes are gmo's .same with rice and almost all our imported fruits.

Gmo's have different scales of modification and not all modification is deemed harmful.
For God's sake most foods in the US are genetically modified.

1 Like

Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by HomeOfMe(f): 8:26pm On Oct 15, 2016
Gerrard59:

Evidence? Concrete ones please. Not research by GreenPiss and Co. Independent research.

What you bought were products designed to have a long shelf life. Same way there tomatoes made for the restaurant industry which is different from household consumed tomatoes.

I'm waiting for scientific evidence to disprove me of the side effects. The likes of Nature, The Cell etc.
Garlic,ginger,cucumber and some other veggies are not designed to have a long shelf life,at least not as long as two months..,they've been preserved to last long with very strong and dangerous chemicals.
Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by donvicky2007: 8:50pm On Oct 15, 2016
This agency is hungry they need money badly coz I know that GMO foods are harmful to human health While are they demanding for permit from the stores. For Goodness sake GMO shouldn't be allowed to sell in the shore of this country both GMO plants and GMO processed foods.

1 Like

Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by joinnow: 9:15pm On Oct 15, 2016
Very soon all multi national go disappear mysteriously under PMB regime
Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by flokii: 9:22pm On Oct 15, 2016
d33types:

Fortunately, I hold an MPH from an ivy league.

One of my numerous seminar was on introduction of gmo's to developing countries: cost implication. If not for anonymity I'd have dropped the link to my work.

I might doubt your degree if you conclusively write off all gmo's as harmful. Most of our tomatoes are gmo's .same with rice and almost all our imported fruits.

Gmo's have different scales of modification and not all modification is deemed harmful.
For God's sake most foods in the US are genetically modified.

Yea, I didn't dispute that, I even mentioned it that it's d norm now in advanced countries..

I'm in d Engineering line, just took the course to gather knowledge.. I have this thing for "health" and general well being so it's not like I'm in the profession.

Buh since you feel it's not that bad, I hope the govt. can look into it and probably change their mind.. The gmo thing is more of cell biology & genetics and I'm sure most pple weren't even aware until now
Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by rabex123(m): 10:32pm On Oct 15, 2016
suzan404:
make them kuku close everything and starve us to death

I blame buhari undecided
Did u even read the story
..if yes do u know the danger of GMO FOODS..
IF NOT.

Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by HomeOfMe(f): 10:52pm On Oct 15, 2016
d33types:
Not all GMO's are bad.
All the apples sold in Nigeria are GMOs. They are modified not to have viable seeds so that nobody can replant them
Are you serious;so the genetically modified apples don't have seeds?
Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by Kakamorufu(m): 10:59pm On Oct 15, 2016
what are GMO . make Una help me explain biko
Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 11:23pm On Oct 15, 2016
suzan404:
make them kuku close everything and starve us to death

I blame buhari undecided
Those stores are killing businesses of struggling families while they(shoprite n CO) move the money they make to their indigenous countries.... if you ask me, it will be an awesome move....
Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by d33types: 11:59pm On Oct 15, 2016
HomeOfMe:
Are you serious;so the genetically modified apples don't have seeds?
They don't have viable seeds.
That is, the seeds cannot be planted.they'll not grow.
Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by charlly2016(m): 4:20am On Oct 16, 2016
Charllychim Ventures, a registered firm in Nigeria, presents to you an opportunity to learn "BASIC ENTREPRENEURIAL SKILLS". The e-books on basic entrepreneurial skills are carefully designed to teach step by step how to produce more than 30 products and guide you to starting this lucrative business.
Products like : liquid detergent, germicide, antiseptic, hair cream, body cream, petroleum jelly, shoe polish, toilet wash, bar soap and many other products.
The e-book contains:-
* Step by step guide to produce all the products
* Functions of the chemicals
* Handling of the chemicals
* NAFDAC requirements
* How to get accurate measurement and other relevant techniques of production.
Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by blessedqueen(f): 5:24am On Oct 16, 2016
Mujaheeeden:
This one you ve been talking death since morning? O gini na eme?

See I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide

U just made my morning
Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by davidif: 7:51am On Oct 16, 2016
lajoshua:

lol..but seriously all these big stores affect the sales of the local market, any city they are located the local market suffers and the irony is the import even basic things such as fruits,pathetic. lalasticlala what do you think?? grin grin grin

They actually provide sanitary conditions for shopping. I don't want to go to an open air market where the road is muddy and there is open air filth all around with flies all over the food items i want to buy. I just want to walk into a store and buy what i want without haggling over price.

1 Like

Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by greenhope(m): 9:01am On Oct 16, 2016
Nigeria government makes me laugh 24 hours. Is any food or vegetable that's not genetically modified from the big Tokyo 2 specie of cumcuber to water melon to maize and garri

Confused people

1 Like

Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by greenhope(m): 9:02am On Oct 16, 2016
Nigeria government makes me laugh 24 hours. Is there any food or vegetable that's not genetically modified from the big Tokyo 2 specie of cumcuber to water melon to maize and garri

Confused people
Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by Brightgem(f): 9:11am On Oct 16, 2016
jesse8048:
They should educate the public about the dangers of GMO, cos if u shut down these ones others might still be selling behind closed doors.
very true. Fear catch me when I dey shoprite picked a pizza dough and saw in its ingredients contains Genetically modified something something! Many of the places people patronize pizza are definitely using ready made pizza dough from such stores. And we think the increase of Cancer and other illneses is out of the blues. visit www.yourhealthattitude.com for health posts.
Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by Gerrard59(m): 9:12am On Oct 16, 2016
HomeOfMe:
[/b]Garlic,ginger,cucumber and some other veggies are not designed to have a long shelf life[b],at least not as long as two months..,they've been preserved to last long with very [/b]strong and dangerous chemicals.[b]

First bolded, by whom? Any scientific link to ascertain the veracity of your claims?

Second bolded, it's not strong chemicals. Rather, it's a genetic process in which the gene responsible for the shelf life is extended or as you claimed (short shelf life) silenced so as to enable it stay for a longer period without damage and it has no adverse effects.

GMOs are genetically modified crops that are designed to enable crops have resistance to pests, diseases, adverse weather conditions (salty, excessive rain, drought), improved taste, industry specific crops. There's nothing wrong SCIENTIFICALLY wrong with GM crops. Independent research has been conducted which were approved by the WHO, UNICEF, EU and other bodies.

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/why_are_environmentalists_taking_anti-science_positions/2584/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/former-greenpeace-leading-light-condemns-them-for-opposing-gm-golden-rice-crop-that-could-save-two-million-children-from-starvation-per-year-9097170.html

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/question148.htm

2 Likes

Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by HomeOfMe(f): 9:28am On Oct 16, 2016
Gerrard59:

First bolded, by whom? Any scientific link to ascertain the veracity of your claims?

Second bolded, it's not strong chemicals. Rather, it's a genetic process in which the gene responsible for the shelf life is extended or as you claimed (short shelf life) silenced so as to enable it stay for a longer period without damage and it has no adverse effects.

GMOs are genetically modified crops that are designed to enable crops have resistance to pests, diseases, adverse weather conditions (salty, excessive rain, drought), improved taste, industry specific crops. There's nothing wrong SCIENTIFICALLY wrong with GM crops. Independent research has been conducted which were approved by the WHO, UNICEF, EU and other bodies.

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/why_are_environmentalists_taking_anti-science_positions/2584/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/former-greenpeace-leading-light-condemns-them-for-opposing-gm-golden-rice-crop-that-could-save-two-million-children-from-starvation-per-year-9097170.html

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/question148.htm
When I say genetically modified,that simply means they are cloned-not original. Secondly,in respect to the veggies staying too long before they begin to rot;I think chemicals were used to make them last longer. Like some of the apples we find in some big supermarkets which are unusually big and look very shiny,we are made to believe that they are waxed in other to make them last longer. I think the authorities should educate us more on GMO.
Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by Gerrard59(m): 9:28am On Oct 16, 2016
uboma:

Exactly.

Organically grown foods are better and more healthy than genetically modified food.

Organic foods that contain dangerous pesticides used for their "fertilizers" "manure" which is not subjected to test?

GM foods are more healthier than its organic counterpart as the former has undergone rigorous tests to understand its efficacy, effects (which there are none) and enriches and improves the nutritional value of the crop/food. Example is the Golden Rice which will include Vitamin A; lack of it causes 250 - 500K deaths yearly. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/former-greenpeace-leading-light-condemns-them-for-opposing-gm-golden-rice-crop-that-could-save-two-million-children-from-starvation-per-year-9097170.html

@d33types Another wrong information you're peddling. Apples can be grown anywhere - through the use of genetics - and it includes Nigeria. That false thought has been discussed here https://www.nairaland.com/1892052/why-cant-apples-grow-nigeria

2 Likes

Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by Nobody: 10:08am On Oct 16, 2016
flokii:

Yea, I didn't dispute that, I even mentioned it that it's d norm now in advanced countries..

I'm in d Engineering line, just took the course to gather knowledge.. I have this thing for "health" and general well being so it's not like I'm in the profession.

Buh since you feel it's not that bad, I hope the govt. can look into it and probably change their mind.. The gmo thing is more of cell biology & genetics and I'm sure most pple weren't even aware until now

Hehehehehe... now you're telling the truth!
Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by flokii: 10:14am On Oct 16, 2016
LucifersTongue:

Hehehehehe... now you're telling the truth!

funny you.. was there ever a lie?

I still bliv gmos are harmful.. But as expected, some will be out of business if it gets banned.. so we have to give them hope

Enjoy!
Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by Gerrard59(m): 10:25am On Oct 16, 2016
HomeOfMe:
When I say genetically modified,[/b]that simply means they are cloned-not original[b]. Secondly,in respect to the veggies staying too long before they begin to rot;I think chemicals were used to make them last longer. Like some of the apples we find in some big supermarkets which are unusually big and look very shiny,[/b]we are made to believe that they are waxed in other to make them last longer[b]. I think the authorities should educate us more on GMO.

First bolded, this is wrong again. Cloning is a different field entirely from genetic modification.

Genetic modification simply implies modifying certain parts of the genome (the complete genetic information) of a crop to enhance or silence some characteristics - taste, long shelf life, drought resistance, improved nutritional value, resistance to pests and disease, larger quantity etc.

Second bolded, waxing? False again. Think about fertilizers, used to improve growth quicker and larger crops (shapes).
However, in GM foods, fertilizers are not used as the gene responsible for growth has been enhanced by either promoting or reducing such a gene. This is implies going to the plant physiological components and inducing changes from there instead of spraying fertilizers all the time.

GM crops encourage sustainable and environmentally conditions in our agric sector as you virtually eliminate the use of fertilizers (natural or artificial) on crops. With GM crops, you just cultivate the crop and it matures and germinates "large" crops - without the use of fertilizers. No waxing is involved, weren't in a salon. grin

Yes, the authorities are supposed to educate the public. However, we're talking about Nigerian authorities. I entreat individuals to do research about GM crops - from verifiable, independent and sources - WHO, FAO, independent research. Not dem GreenPiss and Foes of the Earth.

flokii:

I still bliv gmos are harmful.. But as expected, some will be out of business if it gets banned.. so we have to give them hope
Enjoy!

You believe? Evidence(s) please, concrete and independent ones. This is science, not hearsay. Get banned? Bayer which is in Europe is kicking fine, ditto, BASF, Syngenta. Out of business? Lol. It's the organic folks that will run out of business, let's see how they'll feed 200 million people in Nigeria and 280 million by 2030; with 9 billion persons by 2050 worldwide. Goodluck on that.

LucifersTongue:

Now you're on the right path. Just do basic research online.
Tip: If you read from sites claiming GMOs are dangerous and stuff, check if they have their "data" is published on respected peer-reviewed journals like Nature etc.
It's shocking that we are in a [/b]country with large scale famine in the north east but we ban certain foods simply because we think it could be unsafe - without a single verified evidence![b]

That country is Nigeria. Burkina Faso became Africa's biggest cotton producer through the use of GM cotton seeds from Monsanto, now they've moved to BayerCropScience (her parent firm Bayer purchased Monsanto) - GM crop is sweet. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by Nobody: 10:34am On Oct 16, 2016
HomeOfMe:
When I say genetically modified,that simply means they are cloned-not original. Secondly,in respect to the veggies staying too long before they begin to rot;I think chemicals were used to make them last longer. Like some of the apples we find in some big supermarkets which are unusually big and look very shiny,we are made to believe that they are waxed in other to make them last longer. I think the authorities should educate us more on GMO.

Now you're on the right path. Just do basic research online.

Tip: If you read from sites claiming GMOs are dangerous and stuff, check if they have their "data" is published on respected peer-reviewed journals like Nature etc.

It's shocking that we are in a country with large scale famine in the north east but we ban certain foods simply because we think it could be unsafe - without a single verified evidence!

1 Like

Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by Nobody: 10:40am On Oct 16, 2016
flokii:

Enjoy!

Whatever you believe doesn't and shouldn't matter.

Evidence is the only thing that counts. People shouldn't starve and food prices shouldn't rise simply because our government is making decisions based on "I believe it's harmful".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by flokii: 11:25am On Oct 16, 2016
LucifersTongue:

Whatever you believe doesn't and shouldn't matter.

Evidence is the only thing that counts. People shouldn't starve and food prices shouldn't rise simply because our government is making decisions based on "I believe it's harmful".

like I said earlier, I'm not writing the technology off completely.. you made valids point too in terms of food surplus. Information is key

Even the natural unmodified ones now pose almost d same threats (if not more) as the gmos in terms of lead content, DDTs, pesticides, herbicides etc.. They all have "chronic" effects on the human body on d long run.

The world is such a fvcked up place now.. you run from one only to face another.
so it's left for d govt. to decide
Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by uboma(m): 11:31am On Oct 16, 2016
Gerrard59:

Organic foods that contain dangerous pesticides used for their "fertilizers" "manure" which is not subjected to test?

GM foods are more healthier than its organic counterpart as the former has undergone rigorous tests to understand its efficacy, effects (which there are none) and enriches and improves the nutritional value of the crop/food. Example is the Golden Rice which will include Vitamin A; lack of it causes 250 - 500K deaths yearly. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/former-greenpeace-leading-light-condemns-them-for-opposing-gm-golden-rice-crop-that-could-save-two-million-children-from-starvation-per-year-9097170.html

@d33types Another wrong information you're peddling. Apples can be grown anywhere - through the use of genetics - and it includes Nigeria. That false thought has been discussed here https://www.nairaland.com/1892052/why-cant-apples-grow-nigeria

you obviously do not know the health hazard of eating genetically modified foods....
Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by Gerrard59(m): 12:54pm On Oct 16, 2016
uboma:

you obviously do not know the health hazard of eating genetically modified foods....

OK. Since you do know, could you please tell us the hazards of eating GM foods? Scientific reasons please.

2 Likes

Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by omohayek: 1:34pm On Oct 16, 2016
Gerrard59:

OK. Since you do know, could you please tell us the hazards of eating GM foods? Scientific reasons please.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any such "reasons". I'm doubtful most of those arguing with you even have more than a vague notion of what a "gene" is, let alone knowing enough about genetics to be able to assess the benefits and drawbacks of GM techniques. These people "know" that GMOs are bad based on nothing more than emotion, and I doubt that any amount of reasoning and evidence will sway their mystical beliefs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by redsun(m): 2:41pm On Oct 16, 2016
Convenient food comes with terrible price. Oyinbos can attest to that. They have the intensively and massively food in abundance but it haunts them in all forms of unexplained diseases and cancer.

It is easy for cooperations paid scientists and government agents to say they are safe for human consumption because doing it humanely, sustainably and organically mean less waste,less abundance and less profits. It will also mean less sick people,less medical insurance and medicines and of course less money for the draconic insurance and pharmaceutical giants.

Contemporary food business is like war business,the more hazards,the more money made. It is all about money for the one preventers and agony for the hapless 99 percenters.
Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by guiddoti: 2:47pm On Oct 16, 2016
lajoshua:

I'm telling you....disastrous. i was just discussing this with someone yesterday of the damage civilisation has done...i mean our forefathers lived a healthy life..you hardly hear all these strange diseases then. Today thanks to air pollution,processed food and what have we.
well there is a price to pay for everything.
huh last time I checked it was hard life but healthy food.
Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by Jetjacky(m): 2:53pm On Oct 16, 2016
lajoshua:

source:http://www.voiceofaudacity.com/2016/10/gmo-foods-fg-may-shut-shoprite-next.html

when I see things like this I laugh.... “Suspect”!
They should have investigated properly. Why is it hard for Nigerians to base claims on evidence rather than suspicions?
Re: GMO Foods: Shoprite, Next Superstores May Be Shut Down By The Federal Government by d33types: 3:10pm On Oct 16, 2016
Gerrard59:

You got me wrong oooooooooo.
I said apples especially those imported into Nigeria are genetically modified so that their seeds cannot tbe planted. kinda like a mini patent
I didn't say apples cannot be planted in Nigeria. We have an apple tree in the villa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Naira Redesign: Old, New Notes Are Legal Tender – CBN Reveals / The Top Five Digital Marketing Agencies In Nigeria: An Unbiased List. / How Much Is CEFA Against Naira Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.