Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:27 AM

Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone (6113 Views)

Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? / Is It Really Difficult To Live Alone? / Benue Woman Marries Pregnant Lady To Bear Children For Late Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by omotohdarajugbogbolo: 4:16pm On Oct 15, 2016
Hello my dear e-fam,

Trust weekend is going well.

I just want your opinion on the above topic.

What are the pros and cons?

How does the society view this and also potential suitors?

Thanks

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by TroubleMaker47(m): 4:31pm On Oct 15, 2016
Yes it is advisable. How else do you expect guys to get regular kpenshing when real bae is at home? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by austine4real(m): 4:46pm On Oct 15, 2016
I av nothg to say
Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by Nobody: 5:27pm On Oct 15, 2016
There's nothing wrong to live alone.. But if your parents are alive it's better to live with them. As for me, I live alone due to circumstances beyond my control. And I love it.
But if u have to move into your own space.. Make sure your job can pay the rent. Be disciplined with friends u invite over. .only invite your bf over... Any other male friend should meet up either at work environment or mall.. And try create transparency between u and your BF.. With time he will trust and believe no dick and Harry passes the night in your apartment. Everything in the process of a man saying yes I want to marry u, is all about trust and making sure you are not a Liability.. And also note, your BF shouldn't move in with u. It's not proper and he will take u for granted.. It's either both of u end up getting married and he wants to take over the rent... Apart from that? Pls don't allow it.

Always have a first aid box at home with some necessary drugs like paracetamol, eyedrops, Ear Drops, cold and cattarh drug, Mentholatum, Izal. Then yes u are good to go.
So my dear, go ahead if u desperately wish to. I hope these tips helps smiley
You have my blessings dear grin

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by dfrost: 5:44pm On Oct 15, 2016
@op it depends. Why do you want to live alone? Before an adult embarks on any venture, ask yourself why you want to do what you want to do.

So share with us your reasons for wanting to stay alone.
Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by dfrost: 5:45pm On Oct 15, 2016
@op it depends. Why do you want to live alone? Before an adult embarks on any venture, ask yourself why you want to do what you want to do.

So share with us your reasons for wanting to stay alone.

Sorry for the double post. Network goofed.
Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by Nobody: 6:16pm On Oct 15, 2016
Yes it's advisable for single ladies to live alone because of privacy and independence smiley

8 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by dfrost: 7:21pm On Oct 15, 2016
ItsQuinn:
Yes it's advisable for single ladies to live alone because of privacy and independence smiley

Is independence really worth it? Just asking.
Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by Nobody: 7:37pm On Oct 15, 2016
Very cheesy....you can do whatever you want, no one can tell you what to do plus freedom cheesy
dfrost:

Is independence really worth it? Just asking.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by nnamdibig(m): 7:45pm On Oct 15, 2016
If you are staying in a location without any relative around, as a student or working class, it's very ok to live alone.
(Where you wan leave before?....with boyfriend??)

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by Richy4(m): 7:59pm On Oct 15, 2016
This question should have been asked in 19th Century....Who cares what people says this days....

10 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by sisisioge: 10:11pm On Oct 15, 2016
Hmmmm...

Living alone doesn't have anything to do with suitors IMO unless you wanna turn your house to an hotel.

Pros...
1. You practice being your own madam
2. You can do as you pls in your space
3. You can afford to bring whoever you pls home
4. You can divert your movement without a care in the world wink
5. You can decide to be super clean or super lazy
6. You don't need to report yourself and movement to anyone
7. You can eat and cook anything you like
8. You can decorate as you pls
9. You would generally become responsible...u keep the space in order

Con...
1. You run the risk of being too independent
2. Your bills and burden are all yours alone
3. If you don't cook, you don't eat...or if you don't provide food...
4. You could end up having unplanned overnight guests
5. You could end up being princess lazy
6. Boredom might give you bear hugs from time to time grin

I live alone(shared space ) though I have folks in Lagos. Today I could be in gbagada, the next in Opebi...yippy! Life of a single girl. I could cook enough for a nation and stock in my fridge or I could turn the fridge to wardrobe and start putting cloths in it. Whatever tickles my fancy! I could decide on my way home from work that I don't wanna go home and just head to my ex-flat mate's house. Na me be my boss. But of course, I sometimes miss having someone to talk to. When that happens, na to pack my stuff and head home until further notice! Options girl cool

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by Nobody: 12:26am On Oct 16, 2016
If you trust yourself to be responsible and only date/court one guy at a time, then living alone will suit you.
If living alone will make you feel you are free to bring different men home or keep late nights out, then it may be to your disadvantage to live on your own. And if one behaves this way, responsible men won't take her serious. Though some men do not trust women who live alone and some landlords do not rent out to single women. Na their business. Woman, know thyself...
Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by JackOfAllTrades: 12:28am On Oct 16, 2016
most times living alone can have a lot of benefits, but having a forward thinking, open minded roommate with a growth mindset can be really helpful it gives you the opportunity to grow in knowledge and experience together. if your roommate is not the case it could be a disaster. so the problem is finding the right person. if you haven't then it's better to be alone.
Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by Nobody: 2:29am On Oct 16, 2016
Loisemm:
If you trust yourself to be responsible and only date/court one guy at a time, then living alone will suit you.
If living alone will make you feel you are free to bring different men home or keep late nights out, then it may be to your disadvantage to live on your own. And if one behaves this way, responsible men won't take her serious. Though some men do not trust women who live alone and some landlords do not rent out to single women. Na their business. Woman, know thyself...

Asin ehn, Some Landlords that will not mind their business.

Even as a guy you will hear questions from Landlords like Pls show us your proof of Income...ehn are you a Yahoo boy or not ? Ehn..we don't want traders oh. Its salary earners we want undecided
Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by cococandy(f): 3:31am On Oct 16, 2016
If she's an adult what's the question for? undecided

Oh I forgot she neeeds to be living with people they people can keep an eye on her to make sure she's keeping her vagina for a future husband that's somewhere blowing his youth away without anyone judging him.

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by mysticgal(f): 4:27am On Oct 16, 2016
Guys above me, it may not be because of guys she's asking this question. Maybe she's looking at the societal or would I say cultural say on living alone as a lady or most probably the security aspect not necessarily punny aspect cheesy
Anyways, most people have outlined the advantages of staying alone. Me I prefer staying alone because I love my freedom like I love air.
Also if it is for security purposes, you could get a roommate and share bills. And then, op, If you mean staying alone in the same city your parents live, I no sure say e go make sense. E.g, if I happen to do such, my mum would agree maybe after some quarrel but if she needs Maggi or TV remote, she might just drive down to my house for me to get it...... So you see wink, no jokes, that old youngie can do it certainly embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by Pidggin(f): 5:32am On Oct 16, 2016
If you don't have a choice but it's better to at least have a room mate
Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by SalomonKane: 7:01am On Oct 16, 2016
omotohdarajugbogbolo:
Hello my dear e-fam,

Trust weekend is going well.

I just want your opinion on the above topic.

What are the pros and cons?

How does the society view this and also potential suitors?

Thanks

From which perspective are you asking this question. A single lady living alone as a student, or a single lady (working) living alone?.
Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by ednut1(m): 7:28am On Oct 16, 2016
Nigeria will only progress when pple start living by their own dictates nd not societal dictates. your fathers house is in mowe ibafo but u work in VI, dont move closer u hear. u have money to buy a car u won't buy cos it will scare guys away continue suffering o. chai

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by Sapphiredamsel(f): 7:35am On Oct 16, 2016
I live alone and my landlord asked where I worked. I gave him the location not the company's name cheesy he insisted, when I told him the company's name lasan, omo see respect.
I stay alone because my family house is far to my workplace and it was spelling doom for my job security, omo I respect my self and got an apartment. But I have my own set rules. If you come my house unplanned, na outside you go sleep, ive done it for 2people before.
That is even if you know my house tongue

truthsayer007:

Asin ehn, Some Landlords that will not mind their business.

Even as a guy you will hear questions from Landlords like Pls show us your proof of Income...ehn are you a Yahoo boy or not ? Ehn..we don't want traders oh. Its salary earners we want undecided

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by Cutehector(m): 7:59am On Oct 16, 2016
Yes it's good for genders to live alone at one stage in their lives because it helps people to understand themselves better.

Let me take my lodge for example, i'm not trying to castigate anyone buh i'm just sighting a real scenario.

In my lodge, there are students living around me, both males and females, some live alone, while some got roomies.

From what i"ve observed, I get to see that some of the ladies invite guys to sleep over with them.. whatever happens is certainly none of my business as its silly to start judging, but the fact still remains, she invited a guy to pass the night with her. Someone who you aren't married to.

The same goes for the guys as well, some do have females not only passing the night with them but outrightly living with them. Still someone they aren't married to.

Now what am I trying to say?

Are you tryn to get an apartment all to yourself to start doing odd things? Or because you have to?

Because I live alone doesn't mean I should abuse freedom. God sees all that we do in private, and people are observant of our outward lifestyles as well. All in all, if you wish to live alone, do it wisely.

if any one should ask me why i'm living alone, I won't tell them that I love my freedom, or I don't like anyone to bug me, if that is the case then I should go and live in a remote island without people, that's only when I can say I love to live alone.

I live alone because it's required for adults to do so at a stage in their lives, you get to determine the kind of character you want to imbibe, you also tend to know your flaws, are you the lazy type? Or the dirty type, or the type that procrastinates? Or the keeping late nights type? Or the minister of men/women affairs?

Whichever is the case, living alone makes you know the you in you. It also aids self development, before I started living alone, I couldn't know how to cook, but a sweet friend who commented in this thread taught me one or two rudiments of recipes and i'll always remember that cuz I did it myself.

Also I used to be this carefree type, I hardly arrange my bed and tidy up my wardrobe, but living alone has changed that aspect of me, I find myself dressing my bed nowadays before leaving my apartment and make it a point of duty to have a clean kitchen as well as a neat bathroom especially.

Now because I live alone, I try to discipline myself when it comes to friends, one guy asked me if he can pass the night in my room because his roomates dirtied his room and I told him HELL NO that isn't he a man? He should go tell those girls living with him to grow up and clean up after themselves. How can you be living with two girls and they just mess up the whole place? I sensed that if I allowed him to sleep over, it wouldn't end there as he will come again another time.

Well that's that. Please live alone because you have to, don't abuse freedom, be disciplined.

Mysticgal. kiss hi wink

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by Nobody: 8:07am On Oct 16, 2016
This article is actually sexist. What's the big deal about a lady living alone and not a big deal about a guy living alone. Naija

4 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by seizethaBae(f): 8:58am On Oct 16, 2016
I remember when i got admission @16 and my guardian in d same state said i must stay with her because i was too young to b living alone,say i fit get belle sef because of too much 'freedom' and i was like 'emagbami ke'.

Fast forward to 4yrs later when i came to lagos for my NYSC and i was staying with one of my uncle,My uncle's wife ehn! I told her about my interest in tailoring and to have a fashion store after nysc,she said 'God forbid' how can a university grad stoop so low to become a tailor. Few mths after i started my first job,i just cooked up one story dat my company provided accomodation to all staffs staying on d mainland. Omolomo larin ero, I rented an apartment,learnt as many skills as possible,switch jobs,did business as i like. I hardly invite my female friends to d house sef not to talk of a guy. Life is too short to be bothered abt 'society view'.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by mysticgal(f): 9:43am On Oct 16, 2016
Cutehector:
Yes it's good for genders to live alone at one stage in their lives because it helps people to understand themselves better.

Let me take my lodge for example, i'm not trying to castigate anyone buh i'm just sighting a real scenario.

In my lodge, there are students living around me, both males and females, some live alone, while some got roomies.

From what i"ve observed, I get to see that some of the ladies invite guys to sleep over with them.. whatever happens is certainly none of my business as its silly to start judging, but the fact still remains, she invited a guy to pass the night with her. Someone who you aren't married to.

The same goes for the guys as well, some do have females not only passing the night with them but outrightly living with them. Still someone they aren't married to.

Now what am I trying to say?

Are you tryn to get an apartment all to yourself to start doing odd things? Or because you have to?

Because I live alone doesn't mean I should abuse freedom. God sees all that we do in private, and people are observant of our outward lifestyles as well. All in all, if you wish to live alone, do it wisely.

if any one should ask me why i'm living alone, I won't tell them that I love my freedom, or I don't like anyone to bug me, if that is the case then I should go and live in a remote island without people, that's only when I can say I love to live alone.

I live alone because it's required for adults to do so at a stage in their lives, you get to determine the kind of character you want to imbibe, you also tend to know your flaws, are you the lazy type? Or the dirty type, or the type that procrastinates? Or the keeping late nights type? Or the minister of men/women affairs?

Whichever is the case, living alone makes you know the you in you. It also aids self development, before I started living alone, I couldn't know how to cook, but a sweet friend who commented in this thread taught me one or two rudiments of recipes and i'll always remember that cuz I did it myself.

Also I used to be this carefree type, I hardly arrange my bed and tidy up my wardrobe, but living alone has changed that aspect of me, I find myself dressing my bed nowadays before leaving my apartment and make it a point of duty to have a clean kitchen as well as a neat bathroom especially.

Now because I live alone, I try to discipline myself when it comes to friends, one guy asked me if he can pass the night in my room because his roomates dirtied his room and I told him HELL NO that isn't he a man? He should go tell those girls living with him to grow up and clean up after themselves. How can you be living with two girls and they just mess up the whole place? I sensed that if I allowed him to sleep over, it wouldn't end there as he will come again another time.

Well that's that. Please live alone because you have to, don't abuse freedom, be disciplined.

Mysticgal. kiss hi wink
*rolls eyes * must it be guys that would want a lady to live alone.... Biko, op do whatever seems right, you've got freedom to live, live!!!

Ehen, cutedude,how is you? I hope you are still lavving as uushual tongue
Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by mysticgal(f): 9:45am On Oct 16, 2016
Sapphiredamsel:
I live alone and my landlord asked where I worked. I gave him the location not the company's name cheesy he insisted, when I told him the company's name lasan, omo see respect.
I stay alone because my family house is far to my workplace and it was spelling doom for my job security, omo I respect my self and got an apartment. But I have my own set rules. If you come my house unplanned, na outside you go sleep, ive done it for 2people before .
Me sef,, I can do this thing

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by Cutehector(m): 9:53am On Oct 16, 2016
mysticgal:

*rolls eyes * must it be guys that would want a lady to live alone.... Biko, op do whatever seems right, you've got freedom to live, live!!!

Ehen, cutedude,how is you? I hope you are still lavving as uushual tongue
of course I still am... kiss u free now?
Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by Sapphiredamsel(f): 9:56am On Oct 16, 2016
Orie pe baje, my kinda girl. grin

seizethaBae:
I remember when i got admission @16 and my guardian in d same state said i must stay with her because i was too young to b living alone,say i fit get belle sef because of too much 'freedom' and i was like 'emagbami ke'.

Fast forward to 4yrs later when i came to lagos for my NYSC and i was staying with one of my uncle,My uncle's wife ehn! I told her about my interest in tailoring and to have a fashion store after nysc,she said 'God forbid' how can a university grad stoop so low to become a tailor. Few mths after i started my first job,i just cooked up one story dat my company provided accomodation to all staffs staying on d mainland. Omolomo larin ero, I rented an apartment,learnt as many skills as possible,switch jobs,did business as i like. I hardly invite my female friends to d house sef not to talk of a guy. Life is too short to be bothered abt 'society view'.
Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by pocohantas(f): 11:02am On Oct 16, 2016
seizethaBae:

Staff please.
Nice story...do you have your tailoring store now? smiley
Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by Saturday80(m): 11:30am On Oct 16, 2016
[/color]Well I must say nothing is bad about it and that is if you must have to do so maybe as a result of your schooling somewhere far from home or working where your family is not close then it okay but just have to be careful also because sometimes guys sees it as indecent act especially when you are not a working class then it means something is not right. Do it if you want to but genuinely. [color=#006600]Well I must say nothing is bad about it and that is if you must have to do so maybe as a result of your schooling somewhere far from home or working where your family is not close then it okay but just have to be careful also because sometimes guys sees it as indecent act especially when you are not a working class then it means something is not right. Do it if you want to but genuinely. Well I must say nothing is bad about it and that is if you must have to do so maybe as a result of your schooling somewhere far from home or working where your family is not close then it okay but just have to be careful also because sometimes guys sees it as indecent act especially when you are not a working class then it means something is not right. Do it if you want to but genuinely.
Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by zeb04(f): 11:44am On Oct 16, 2016
Very funny question. I started living alone at 21
Re: Is It Advisable For A Single Lady To Live Alone by sunvick(m): 12:12pm On Oct 16, 2016
That was quite unfair to treat people that way. Tell me you have not been in that situation where you had to go to someones's place to pass the night due to unforeseen circumstances.

Sapphiredamsel:
I stay alone because my family house is far to my workplace and it was spelling doom for my job security, omo I respect my self and got an apartment. But I have my own set rules. If you come my house unplanned, na outside you go sleep, ive done it for 2people before.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Security Tips During The Christmas Celebration / Marriage With A Member Of Your Family? / Can Marriage Survive Without Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.