Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,917 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:13 AM

Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow (2004 Views)

The Secret Writing Of Solomon To Rehoboam His Son Revealing His Lies / Why Was "Wisdom Of Solomon" And Other Books Remove From The Bible? / The Supposedly Wisdom Of Solomon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:44pm On Oct 15, 2016
Is Song of Solomon an allegory of God's love for Israel and/or Christ’s love for the Church? Is Song of Solomon truly a book about romantic and sexual love?
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by makelove2m(m): 7:47pm On Oct 15, 2016
OLAADEGBU:
Is Song of Solomon an allegory of God's love for Israel and/or Christ’s love for the Church? Is Song of Solomon truly a book about romantic and sexual love?

ASK UR PASTOR FIRST B4 COMING HERE......................HOPE YOU GET THE RIGHT ANSWER
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:01pm On Oct 15, 2016
makelove2m:

ASK UR PASTOR FIRST B4 COMING HERE......................HOPE YOU GET THE RIGHT ANSWER

In other words you haven't got a clue. undecided
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by Empredboy(m): 3:50am On Oct 16, 2016
Song of solomon can be interpreted into many ways.
(1) AS MAN been GOD while WOMAN been ISRAEL - its the expression of God's love for his people Israel
(2) AS MAN been GOD while WOMAN been Church - its the expression of God's love for his Church
(3) AS MAN been GOD while WOMAN been the righteous ones- its the expression of God's love for his righteous people

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by davido101(m): 6:28am On Oct 16, 2016
Relationship between God and man
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by ahamonyeka(m): 6:34am On Oct 16, 2016
Yes o it contains romantic and endearing words,sometimes I compose words from there which I usually send to lady F.
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by makelove2m(m): 7:06pm On Oct 17, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

In other words you haven't got a clue. undecided

CLUE OR GLUE........... grin
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:23am On Oct 18, 2016
makelove2m:

CLUE OR GLUE........... grin

Which one have you got? tongue
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:36pm On Nov 02, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Suggested answer;

https://gotquestions.org/Song-of-Solomon-allegory.html
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by ichuka(m): 6:06pm On Nov 02, 2016
OLAADEGBU:
The Song of songs describes a Christain spiritual fellowship with our Lord Jesus Christ after been saved.
A spiritual pursuit of He that dwelt in the "Holy of Holies".
A pursuit after the"King of kings and the Lord of lords"(Rev19:16).
The Song of songs shows that we are a wife to the Lord,who is our Husband.

1 Like

Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:22pm On Nov 26, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Suggested answer;

Question: "Is Song of Solomon an allegory of God's love for Israel and/or Christ's love for the Church?"

Answer: An allegory is a literary work in which the characters and events are symbolic of a deeper moral or spiritual truth. The Pilgrim's Progress and The Holy War by John Bunyan are famous allegories. The Song of Solomon is often interpreted as an allegory by both Jewish and Christian scholars. Jews have seen it as an allegory of God's love, while Christians have often viewed the book as an allegory of Christ's love for the Church. The book is lyric, poetic, and rich in symbolism, but can it properly be called an allegory?

Because of the romantic and even sexual nature of the book's contents, many have sought a different way to understand its message. However, an allegorical approach is unnecessary to understanding the intended meaning of the Song of Solomon. The straightforward approach to the Song of Solomon shows it is a love poem written by Solomon regarding a woman he loves. The book includes many intimate details regarding the love between a man and a woman; those details are cloaked in symbolism, but chapter 4 is obviously a poetic description of the consummation of a marriage on the wedding night. There is no need to allegorize this, since its presentation of connubial love is completely consistent with the Bible's other teachings regarding marriage.

In the poem the wedding takes place prior to the consummation of sexual relations between the lover and his beloved (Song of Solomon 3:6–11). The wedding night is symbolically described in 4:1—5:1, and then 5:2–8:4 addresses the maturing of the marriage relationship. The beloved concludes, "Many waters cannot quench love; / rivers cannot sweep it away" (Song of Solomon 8:7).

There is nothing in the book to suggest it's anything but a lyrical presentation of what actually took place between King Solomon and his true love. There are no supernatural events or apocalyptic beasts; there is nothing that must be understood as allegorical, and there is no need to spiritualize the text.

A major concern with an allegorical approach to the Song of Solomon is that the meaning of the allegory is debatable. The lover is usually seen as God or Christ, with the beloved as either God's people (Israel) or the Church. While the Church is called the bride of Christ (Ephesians 5; Revelation 19:7), this does not mean the bride in the Song of Solomon must be seen from this perspective. The Church did not exist at the time the Song of Solomon was composed. Unless speaking prophetically, the book cannot refer to the Church.

Could Solomon have written the book as an allegory of God's love for the Jewish people? God loves Israel (Hosea 3:1), but this does not require the Song of Solomon to be an allegory about Israel. There may be applications relevant to God's love for His people, but this is different from interpreting the book as an allegory.

The Song of Solomon can be read and interpreted just as it was written, as a love poem. It offers an intimate look of the growth, joy, and maturation of love between a man and woman. It can thus offer much insight for married life today. The Song of Solomon can also be seen as an illustration of God's love for His people, but it is not an allegory, per se.
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by oprajo(m): 10:04pm On Nov 26, 2016
it describes the love relationship between Jesus and his church
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:03am On Nov 29, 2016
Daily Manna
Sunday, February 28, 2016

Misplaced Priority

TEXT: SONG OF SOLOMON 1:1-7

"Look not upon me, because I am black, because the sun hath looked upon me: my mother's children were angry with me; they made me the keeper of the vineyards; but mine own vineyard have I not kept" (Song of Solomon 1:6).

We are enjoined by the Scriptures to love our neighbours as ourselves. In fact, we are to love all, especially members of the household of faith, and also our enemies. Yet, nothing should come between us and our love for God and the work we are to do in the Kingdom. When we love someone else more than ourselves - something definitely has gone wrong because our capacity to love others must be measured by our ability to love ourselves.

Our text deals with the pathetic case of someone who was made to serve others at her own detriment. The cruel brothers of the maiden forced her to guard and care for their vineyards, something she could not do for herself. The work was an outdoor job, and beaten by harsh weather, her body turned black.

While now in the city of Jerusalem and in the presence of other girls, her sun-famished skin made her look different from the city girls in their beauty and radiancy. However, despite the terrible exposure and the hard work, the sun did not destroy her beauty.

The lesson is clear, legitimate work regardless of how tasking never kills. Also, her assertion that: "I am black, but comely..." shows that the Church is sometimes black with persecution, but comely in patience, constancy, and consolation, yet amiable in the eyes of Christ.

Bible Reading in one Year: LEVITICUS 5-7

Higher Everyday for Youths - Link: http://highereveryday.dclmhq.org/

Thought for the day: "Our love for others must necessarily spring from love for ourselves."

See more HERE:

Studying Song of Solomon from chapter 1:1-7 shows how it can be literally interpreted, it also typifies how the Church of Christ is amiable in the eyes of Christ in spite of being beaten black with persecutions. Could there be any other interpretation to the above text? undecided
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:56am On Dec 03, 2016
oprajo:

it describes the love relationship between Jesus and his church

Apart from that does it also teach us about romance and sexual love? undecided
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by orunto27: 4:04pm On Dec 03, 2016
Remember Solomon asked for "Discerning Spirit" to rule his people. His Songs are all Emotions and Sentiments of his human experience and ways of handling them.
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by oprajo(m): 6:03pm On Dec 07, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Apart from that does it also teach us about romance and sexual love? undecided
yep. romance in marriage can only be enjoyed by understanding marriage. cos marriage is given to us to understand the relationship between Christ and the church.
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by Wilgrea7(m): 7:47pm On Dec 07, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Suggested answer;

no offence ... but do you own that website? its just a curious question tho cuz most of your answers are from there smiley
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:39pm On Dec 07, 2016
Wilgrea7:

no offence ... but do you own that website? its just a curious question tho cuz most of your answers are from there smiley

No I don't and I don't necessarily agree with every answer they give they are just like wikipedia, the Christian's version where anyone can make their own contribution on any given subject. The ones I agree with I share but I must admit that they've done a good job on most if not all objections. smiley
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:12pm On Dec 07, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

No I don't and I don't necessarily agree with every answer they give they are just like wikipedia, the Christian's version where anyone can make their own contribution on any given subject. The ones I agree with I share but I must admit that they've done a good job on most if not all objections. smiley

Exactly ! I don't agree with some of their answers .
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by Franky826: 12:35am On Dec 08, 2016
It is gross error to translate pictorials figures literally in the bible. Greek translations are reliable to get in depth translations and meanings.
Bibles are full of parables, cyphers. Etc. This is why the best teacher, translator is the holyspirit!
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:23am On Dec 13, 2016
orunto27:

Remember Solomon asked for "Discerning Spirit" to rule his people. His Songs are all Emotions and Sentiments of his human experience and ways of handling them.

That is true but there is more to his songs than just his experience. What do you think they are?
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:36pm On Dec 16, 2016
oprajo:

yep. romance in marriage can only be enjoyed by understanding marriage. cos marriage is given to us to understand the relationship between Christ and the church.

Agreed. Do you see that depiction in the Song of Solomon?
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by oprajo(m): 9:20pm On Dec 16, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Agreed. Do you see that depiction in the Song of Solomon?
about? romance yep. I will be back to outline some instances
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:22am On Dec 22, 2016
Daily Manna
Sunday, March 6, 2016

Beauty Reflection

TEXT: SONG OF SOLOMON 1:8-17

"My beloved is unto me as a cluster of camphire in the vineyards of Engedi" (Song of Solomon 1:14).

In the passage today, the gracious answer which the bridegroom gives to the request of the bride shows how ready God is to answer prayer. Note how affectionately he speaks to her: "O thou fairest among women." Believers' souls are fair in the eyes of the Lord more than any other thing, as He sees in them the beauty of holiness and righteousness.

The high encomiums which the bridegroom showered on his spouse is worthy of note. He calls her his love, friend and companion. He compares her to a set of strong horses in Pharaoh's chariots. One instance of the beauty of the spouse mentioned is that she has doves' eyes, a humble modest eye that portrays simplicity and godly sincerity.

Those who are low in their own eyes are amiable in the eyes of the Lord. Observing and following the footsteps of the Shepherd is very important for the follower of Jesus. It will not serve to sit still and cry. "Lord, show me the way," but we must bestir ourselves to enquire about the way by deliberate commitment and consecration to the Master.

There is a unique sweetness in Christ and an abundance of it for those who receive Him; there is a bundle of myth and a cluster of camphire. The word translated camphire is copher, the same word that signifies atonement or propitiation. Christ is a cluster of merit and righteousness to all believers; therefore, He is dear to them because He is the propitiation for their sins

Bible Reading in one Year: NUMBERS 1-2

Thought for the day: "Let the beauty of Jesus be seen in you."

See more HERE:

He we see the romantic words of Solomon to his bride. Believers in Christ are also the bride of Christ and we can see how Jesus loves His bride and how we can endear our lives to Him and become amiable in His eyes.
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:49pm On Jan 05, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

He we see the romantic words of Solomon to his bride. Believers in Christ are also the bride of Christ and we can see how Jesus loves His bride and how we can endear our lives to Him and become amiable in His eyes.

SONG OF SOLOMON 2:1-9

Daily Manna
Sunday March 13, 2016

His Banner Over Us

TEXT: SONG OF SOLOMON 2:1-9

"He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love" (Song Of Solomon 2:4).

Modern-day flags were developed from their medieval equivalents, known then as standards and banners, commonly used by the military to announce the presence of an army on the battle field. They were also used to indicate the presence of an important personality at occasions like tournaments and ceremonies. A banner would naturally bear the insignia of the person or nation which it publishes. The flags of the modern nation-states are not much different. It is a national symbol, the focus of national unity and loyalty. Its general features are usually symbolic expressions of the nation's history, geography and aspiration.

The body of Christ is a nation of priests, and an army of the Lord. We have an indisputable banner, though not material, it is real and eternal. This banner of Christ inspires true Christians to manfully fight on to the very end. His love is our banner.

King Solomon and the nation of Israel have tasted of the love of God. He seems, in our text, to be making allusion to the love of God that brought Israel out of the Egyptian bondage into Canaan, a land flowing with milk and honey. It was not their power that got them this exquisite green land; it was the unmerited love of God.

Jesus, having rescued us from the power of the wicked one, brought us to the banquet place where He bestowed upon us graces and gifts which we merited not. He did it for us because He loves us. He commands us to share God's love with others, not only by preaching but also by loving all men the same way He has loved us.

This wicked and sinful world requires our compassion and love more than our scorn and vilification. Therefore, let us be filled with Christ's kind of love, and keep sharing same with others, marching on till He calls us home to rest.

Bible Reading in one Year: NUMBERS 19 - 21

Thought for the day: "If we love Him better, we'll share Him better"

See more HERE:
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:56pm On Feb 06, 2017
SONG OF SOLOMON 3:1-11

Daily Manna
Sunday March 27, 2016

Love That Is Real

TEXT: SONG OF SOLOMON 3:1-11

"It was but a little that I passed from them, but I found him whom my soul loveth: I held him, and would not let him go, until I had brought him into my mother's house, and into the chamber of her that conceived me" (Song Of Solomon 3:4).

During the 17th century, Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of England, sentenced a soldier to be shot for his crimes. The execution was to take place at the ringing of the evening curfew bell. However, the bell did not sound. the soldier's fiancee had climbed into the belfry and clung to the great clapper of the bell to prevent it from striking. When she was summoned by Cromwell to account for her actions, she wept as she showed him her bruised and bleeding hands. Cromwell's heart was touched and he said, "Your lover shall live because of your sacrifice. Curfew shall not ring tonight!"

The Song of Solomon is one of the poetical books of the Bible. It teaches certain lessons which inspire virtue and true love. In our text, the beloved goes to bed and in her dream, she left the security of her home and at night searched for her lover in the city. The watchmen couldn't help her. But she persisted and when she eventually found him, she wouldn't let him go. Her desire was for them to get married; so, she brought him to her mother's house and into the very room where she herself had been conceived - the same way Isaac brought his wife Rebekah into his mother's tent - and there, consummated their marriage (Genesis 24:67).

Stories like these are found all over this book, making some to conclude it is a book about love and relationships. But looking closely at those stories, there are lessons about our love and commitment to Christ whose beauty, charm and love is unparalleled and unequalled.

Like this lover in our text, we must seek after Christ with every determination, and when we have found Him, we must stay with Him for the rest of our lives. We must show commitment in return for His selfless sacrifice on the cross at Calvary.

Bible Reading in one Year: DEUTERONOMY 25 - 27

Thought for the day: "Real love requires great sacrifice"

See more HERE:
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:03pm On Nov 17, 2017
SONG OF SOLOMON 4:8-16

Daily Manna
Sunday April 10, 2016

Spice Up Your Marriage

TEXT: SONG OF SOLOMON 4:8-16

"How fair is thy love, my sister, my spouse! how much better is thy love than wine! and the smell of thine ointments than all spices!" (Song Of Solomon 4:10).

There are little things that add sparkle to a marriage and make it something to be cherished and enjoyed. Unfortunately, many people think they are not necessary. Little things like recognising the virtues, beauty and attributes of their spouse, and openly expressing their feelings of appreciation tend to cement marriages. When they are absent, the couples usually begin to drift apart, both mentally, and sometimes, physically too.

King Solomon was not one to be found making such a mistake. There may be many women out there seeking to catch his fancy, but he gave attention to his spouse. In this passage probably written early in his reign, when his heart was still centred on God and His word, Solomon employed very flowery, poetic words in describing his spouse. She was to him, a well-hidden secret. Her love for him was not in doubt, her devotion was exemplary and her commitment was total. She was to him like a refreshing garden of plants and fruits, flowers and suiting springs of water. How proud Solomon must have been about his wife!

You must not shy away from expressing love and admiration in both words and actions to your spouse. Such loving and encouraging words add a glow to your marriage. It cements your commitment to each other. Let your conducts show that you are as cooling and refreshing to your spouse as a spring of water. Periodically, surprise your spouse by the efforts you make to appreciate him or her. When you do that, your union will become what God originally intended marriage to be.

Bible Reading in one Year: ACTS 7 - 8

Thought for the day: "Marriages that are well nurtured get better with age."

See more HERE:
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:56pm On Nov 24, 2017
SONG OF SOLOMON 4:1-7

Daily Manna
Sunday June 15, 2016

An Unfading Beauty?

TEXT: SONG OF SOLOMON 4:1-7

"Behold, thou art fair, my love; behold, thou art fair; thou hast doves' eyes within thy locks: thy hair is as a flock of goats, that appear from mount Gilead" (Song Of Solomon 4:1).

"Look at a poor little colourless drop of water, hanging weakly on a blade of grass. It is not beautiful at all. Why should you stop to look at it? But stay till the sun has risen, and now look! It sparkles, like a diamond! And if you look at it from another side, it glows like a ruby, and presently it gleams like an emerald. The little drop has become one of the brightest and loveliest things you ever saw. But is it its own brightness and beauty? No. If it slipped down to the ground out of the sunshine it would be only a lowly little drop of dirty water. So, if the Sun of Righteousness, the glorious and lovely Saviour, shines upon you, a little ray of His own brightness and beauty will be seen upon you. That is true beauty" - Havergal.

The Song of Solomon is an excellent work of poetry. The various episodes which sound more like love notes,carry a much deeper meaning than they appear to portray in the physical. Our text contain detailed description of natural beauty which is no compared to beautiful work of God's creation.

The image presented is that of Christ's church - His ride, so naturally beautiful because of he work of grace upon her. The Bible says He did all this, that He might present it unto Himself a glorious church, not having any spot or wrinkle, but that it should be holy (Ephesians 5:26).

There was no mention of artificial aids like make-up, jewelry and toning of the skin here. We must maintain this beauty till Christ comes. It must also be kept natural as Christ our Bridegroom wants it.

Bible Reading in one Year: EPHESIANS 1 - 3

Thought for the day: "A beauty adorned through Christ requires no human "make-up"."

See more HERE:
Re: Thoughts About Song Of Solomon — Keep Your Relationship Aglow by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:30pm On May 30, 2018
SONG OF SOLOMON 5:9-16

Daily Manna
Sunday September 25, 2016

Keep Your Relationship Aglow

TEXT: SONG OF SOLOMON 5:9-16

"His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem" (Song Of Solomon 5:16).

Relationships that glorify God and bless humanity are good. But those that depreciates the essence and bring reproach to Him are harmful.

Our text illustrates a woman's song of praise to her husband. Previously, she had snubbed him, locking him out. His efforts to get her attention were brushed aside; so he quietly left. When she realised her mistake, she searched for him but couldn't find him. She then asked for help from the daughters of Jerusalem. In attempt to explain herself, she burst into emotional applause of her husband.

Self-centred relationships are always dysfunctional. In marital unions for example, when a party is self-centred and unreasonable breakdown is inevitable. Relationships that thrive based on external inputs and human dictates cannot last. If our relationship with God is lopsided, it can count His ire. True healthy vertical relationship with God and profitable horizontal relationship with man. The consequence of developing whip up sentiments with God is eternal regrets. The Lord advised: "Come now, and let us reason together,...though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool" (Isaiah 1:18).

To develop a healthy and enduring relationship with others, our relation with God must be strong. This gives the impute to bear and forbear with others. Any relationship that shuts out God and tries to survive through the whims and caprices of so-called daughters of Jerusalem can never last. Ultimately, Christ is the friend Who will never disappoint.

Bible Reading in one Year: PSALM 139 - 150

Thought for the day: "Relationship is about love and appreciation, so keep it aglow."

See more HERE:

(1) (Reply)

Finally! I Found Jewsus! / Think Twice Before You Marry A Religious Fanatic , This Is Why ! / Three Categories Of "Atheists" On Nairaland: we were/are right.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.