Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,220 members, 7,780,420 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:58 PM

UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening (27592 Views)

Norway Prison Vs UNILAG Hostel. What A Pity! (Photos) / OAU Vs UNILAG- Students Battle Each Other On Twitter / UI Vs OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by osjoshua(m): 11:53am On Oct 17, 2016
Why scrap post ume
Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by dannyfillz(m): 11:58am On Oct 17, 2016
1afrika:

For I saw ur analysis here and made the request here, fairness demands that ur response be posted here too. Not every1 that read ur analysis here will definitely visit your blog. I just wanted you to fault your analysis yourself.

A candidate with 5 C6 and 310 will av [/b]63. 75 [b] as aggregate in unilag but [/b]47. 08[b] in UI. A whooping [/b]16. 67[b] difference!
In UI, she stands zero chance of admission even with her high utme score and minimum olevel requirements because it was stated clearly that any1 with aggregate lower than 50 will not be admitted.

Note the following op
* 50/50 means equal. Squaring corresponding points between utme and o'level points must b 1.
*The minimum eligible utme score, 200, is half of the highest obtainable score, 400 and for olevel grades, lowest grade point, C6 MUST also be half of A1 point which is what unilag did.
An aspirant with minimum eligible criteria in either utme or olevel must av equal points e.g 5 C6 in UI is 8. 3 while 200 is 25points, but both 5 C6 nd 200 are 25points in unilag which is d true 50/50.
Comparing these two systems, utme points will always be equal for both schools but olevel points can't, save for 5 A1 which is the obtainable point.
5 A1, 5B2, 5 B3, 5C4, 5 C5 and 5C6 are 50, 45, 40, 35, 30 and 25 respectively in unilag while 50, 41. 6, 33. 3, 25, 16. 6 and 8. 3 respectively in UI.

The true ratio in UI's system is 66. 6/33. 3 o'level/ utme EXCEPT if C4 was the mininum grade requirement which isn't by any law or advertised during screening registration.

[/b]check[b]
O'level/utme= 25/8. 3
The mininum point is used to make comparison.
For any ratio used, highest point comparison will give 1.
Both highest and lowest point comparsion must b the same which is d case in unilag: 50/50 and 25/25 , a true 50/50!
I sincerely hope you understand and do the needful by modifying your post, both here and on your blog, b4 creating a false impression in some people.
Thanks.
Peace.

You are on point bro...

1 Like

Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by Mypeople2(m): 12:02pm On Oct 17, 2016
This simply means you must have at least 280 in UTME and B2 parallel in SSCE ....Unilag
Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by 1afrika: 12:03pm On Oct 17, 2016
UIvents:

Sir/bro, i knew UI's 50:50 isn't a true one before typing that, what i was trying to say is that for A1 & B2, it'll still be near. Thanks anyways, i accept your opinion wholeheartedly.

Maybe I missed the "for A1 and B2" part in ur post but I honestly doubt u said dt. We can both re-check tho .
Going by dt, are grades below B2 being treated fairly then sir?
Was same advertised so that aspirants without A1 and B2 would av used their 2.5k to eat shawarma?
Let's collectively condemn injustices instead of describing it with euphemism.
UI's scoring system is oppressing, unfair and bias.
Thanks
Peace

1 Like

Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by dhavid09(m): 12:04pm On Oct 17, 2016
[quote author=UIvents post=50252453]Both of them claimed using the 50:50 method i.e 50% for O'level and 50% for UTME. Now, let's see which looks more favourable.

For UI, it goes thus:
O'LEVEL
A1; 6 points,
B2; 5 points,
B3; 4 points,
C4; 3 points,
C5; 2 points and
C6; 1 point.
Then, you'll calculate the total points for your 5 jamb combinations in your used O'level result and divide it by 30, then multiply it by 50 i.e 5 subjects/30*50.

JAMB
After that, you'll divide your jamb score by 8.

RESULT
Add the two results you got above i.e for O'level and Jamb together. The result is your weighted score. Looks nice, right?

Now to Unilag, it goes thus: O'LEVEL
A1; 10 points,
B2; 9 points,
B3; 8 points,
C4; 7 points,
C5; 6 points and
C6; 5 points.
All you have to do is to calculate the points for your 5 jamb subjects combination. No multiplication or division needed.

JAMB
You'll then divide your Jamb score by 8.

RESULT
Add the two results above i.e for O'level and Jamb together. You then will have your screening result.

+++++++++++++++
Now, let's assume i have 5 B2s as my O'level result and a Jamb score of 320.

Using UI's method, i'll have; 5*5=25/30=0.83333*50=41.6665 - O'level
320/8=40 - Jamb
so, 41.6665+40=81.6665.

Using Unilag's method, i'll have; 5*9=45 - O'level
320/8=40 - Jamb
so, 45+40=85.

Looking at the two methods, that of Unilag seems higher.

Now let's look at the cutoff marks. Let's assume i choose medicine.

CUTOFF MARKS
For Unilag, the cutoff for medicine is 79.38%, the difference between my score and the cutoff mark is 85-79.38=5.62%.

For UI, the cutoff for medicine is 76.75%, the difference between my score and the cutoff mark is 81.6665-76.75=4.9165%.

Now the difference seems near. The difference between my 2 differences is 5.62-4.9165=0.7035 which is almost nothing.

Conclusively, as long as the method is the 50:50 method, it all comes down to the same thing. One may think one method is more strict but when you analyse it, you'll see that the two methods are almost the same. I hereby rest my case. Thanks for reading this article.

What do you think about it? Do you think i'm right or wrong?

Writer: UIvents
Source:https://uivents./2016/10/16/comparing-uis-method-of-screening-to-that-of-unilag-

Definitely you are not sure of what you posted.
Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by sheubaba2013: 12:07pm On Oct 17, 2016
For washing of your Borehole water tank/plumbing works in Port Harcourt call Sheubaba on 08038834322 or 08052015150. BB pin; 2BE31DA3. Face book; Sakariyau Sheu Tijani. Twitter; @sheusakariyau...WASH YOUR TANK TODAY AND AVOID TYPHOID & OTHER DISEASES.
Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by Hardeysolution(m): 12:08pm On Oct 17, 2016
Let it come to our notice that point system is actually what Ui did but unilag decided their own method, SENATE OF SCHOOLS HAVE THE FINAL SAY.. ...AH!
Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by Mypeople2(m): 12:12pm On Oct 17, 2016
This means that Miss Faizal Abu bakar Sani, that got parallel A1 and 226 will not secure admission in Unilag.Naija I hail thee
Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by 1afrika: 12:17pm On Oct 17, 2016
chinchum:
UI method of grading WASSCE is not properly skewed at the mid -percentile.

It defies good logic. However, candidates with distinctions are just about the only ones guaranteed of admission.

Exactly!
It's unfortunate that such system came from the senate of the premier university and still tagged 50/50.
Unilag earned more respect from me for their method,
Reasonably fair. The cut off is then to their discretion. No one will feel cheated.
With unilag's method, aspirants with high aggregates must av both good utme scores and o'level grades unlike UI where 4 A1, 1B2 nd 215 will secure medicine on merit while 3 B3, 2 C4 nd 280 fall short of medicine cut off, not even for ELDS, what a system!

3 Likes

Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by dman4mdmoon(m): 12:43pm On Oct 17, 2016
abumeinben:

So after all your wonderfully research then analyses, you ruined all by saying a whole 0.7035 is almost nothing.

This OP never see or you probably not in higher institution yet. If you are, you'll know how big 0.1 is to knock you below 2.1

You are absolutely right bro!
Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by CaptEColeJnr: 12:47pm On Oct 17, 2016
Nonsense grading system
Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by nairaimporter: 12:52pm On Oct 17, 2016
1afrika:

Exactly!
It's unfortunate that such system came from the senate of the premier university and still tagged 50/50.
Unilag earned more respect from me for their method,
Reasonably fair. The cut off is then to their discretion. No one will feel cheated.
With unilag's method, aspirants with high aggregates must av both good utme scores and o'level grades unlike UI where 4 A1, 1B2 nd 215 will secure medicine on merit while 3 B3, 2 C4 nd 280 fall short of medicine cut off, not even for ELDS, what a system!

There's a big problem with UTME results. Higher institutions of repute know to put less worth on UTME results.

Exam malpractice is just too common and truly it can't be trusted

1 Like

Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by unmask: 1:18pm On Oct 17, 2016
Elxandre:
Exactly bro.

What UI did was an illegality, but in Nigeria you just have to move on and forget lest you get branded by non-analytical minds as a "sore loser" and hopeless pessimist.

How dare you discriminate against C6 so badly like it's a fail grade!

Calculate it sensibly and set extremely high cut offs if you wish. That's common sense.

Isn't C6 in the actual sense 50%, why is UI now claiming it being 16.67%?
That makes zero sense, but we are in Nigeria, where hard work gets binned everytime with asinine policies.

Cc 1Afrika
rather than complain why don't you beat them at their game? Fight for 5 As and trust me you won't be cheated.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by Nobody: 1:22pm On Oct 17, 2016
Admission is pretty getting difficult by the day. In our days, I scored 298 in JAMB, and a merit admission, but with my C6, C5 "upandan", getting admission for the same course in this present dispensation would have been very difficult.
Well, It's understandable. The population is increasing astronomically, And the competition stiffer!
Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by AUcom66(m): 1:36pm On Oct 17, 2016
U said it All.
Rilwayne001:
Is it their fault? No. It's the fault of the illiterate president and the retarded minister of Education. Apparently this system won't work because of those olevel results were gotten from special centers. Most of those who claimed to have A' have nothing to show that they are indeed quality for it. But with this new policy of no post ume, they have an upper hand than those who worked hard to earn their complete results.

And the funniest thing is that, by this time next year, hundreds of this new intake will be withdrawn for failing to meet departmental/faculty gp cut off, why because they are not qualified to be there in the first place.

With the irregularities in Olevel exams and Jamb, this new system is dead on arrival. Post ume remains the best option until the Jamb/olevel rot are cleaned for good.
Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by kingjms010(m): 1:54pm On Oct 17, 2016
nairaimporter:

There's a big problem with UTME results. Higher institutions of repute know to put less worth on UTME results.

Exam malpractice is just too common and truly it can't be trusted

And there is no examination malpractice in WAEC and related O'levels certificate examinations?

You are probably not living in Nigeria sha....

2 Likes

Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by fflamingo(m): 2:17pm On Oct 17, 2016
both are policy formulated to cut down the numbers of students. if ui had use unilag policy, then everybody will score more than 50. then everybody would have the chance to change of course. then since pume days, ui always has the policy of anybody less than 50 can't gain admission to ANY course. if ui used unilag Modalities, everybody that did not meet cutoff will change course

3 Likes

Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by Cajal(m): 2:18pm On Oct 17, 2016
Nice one,, UI started all this premier thing
Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by Cajal(m): 2:19pm On Oct 17, 2016
Nice one,, UI started all this ( premier thing )
Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by UIvents(m): 2:48pm On Oct 17, 2016
1afrika:

Maybe I missed the "for A1 and B2" part in ur post but I honestly doubt u said dt. We can both re-check tho .
Going by dt, are grades below B2 being treated fairly then sir?
Was same advertised so that aspirants without A1 and B2 would av used their 2.5k to eat shawarma?
Let's collectively condemn injustices instead of describing it with euphemism.
UI's scoring system is oppressing, unfair and bias.
Thanks
Peace

Peace, bro.
Check your mail.
Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by kristian98(m): 3:00pm On Oct 17, 2016
Like seriously, OP u deserve a merciless beating. You have never had an experience of this point system thats why you have the guts to say 0.7035 is almost nothing. If all candidates were dashed 0.7035 point am sure we will record over 10,000 candidates that met the merit cut off mark of their respective institutions
Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by UIvents(m): 3:07pm On Oct 17, 2016
fflamingo:
both are policy formulated to cut down the numbers of students. if ui had use unilag policy, then everybody will score more than 50. then everybody would have the chance to change of course. then since pume days, ui always has the policy of anybody less than 50 can't gain admission to ANY course. if ui used unilag Modalities, everybody that did not meet cutoff will change course

cc: 1afrika. Though the method used by UI is clearly unfair, think about it. Why did they release the modalities after all aspirants registered? They probably studied the results and came up with one method not to give aspirants false hope. Those aspirants, even if they choosed UNILAG will eventually not be offered admission because they won't meet the cutoff. They will only spend more money on 'Change of Course' which is not sure at all.
Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by Nobody: 3:23pm On Oct 17, 2016
Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by 1afrika: 3:44pm On Oct 17, 2016
UIvents:

cc: 1afrika. Though the method used by UI is clearly unfair, think about it. Why did they release the modalities after all aspirants registered? They probably studied the results and came up with one method not to give aspirants false hope. Those aspirants, even if they choosed UNILAG will eventually not be offered admission because they won't meet the cutoff. They will only spend more money on 'Change of Course' which is not sure at all.

Are you "whyning" me?
They studied d results gotten from what method?
Let me set d aetiology of my disquietude clear, "calling such system 50/50 is dubious, illogical and like taking Nigerians for fools". If they like they can choose to use 70/30 or even 90/10 o'level/utme. Afterall no1 complained during their 60/40 days?
It's just unfortunate dt dey are like eating their vomitus now, in a bad manner tho.

There's nothing like false hope once the process is transparent. Do u think ppl with 70 will complain if d cut off was set as 90 for law? Of course they won't, as long as there was a levelled playing ground, just like in unilag's case.
Change of course has always been free in UI.
No aspirant in unilag can score below 50 as aggregate which showed equal regard for both olevel and utme (5 C6 nd 200 = 50) BUT how do u explain to someone with 310 nd 5C6 having 47. 05 when her friend with 5 B3 and 200 ended up with 67.9 as aggregate.
For unilag their aggregate will be 63. 75 against 65 which is a true reflection of equality. Forget about whether d latter eventually got admitted. 1 had excellent point from utme but low o'level points nd vice versa for the other. Their aggregate should b close.
With unilag's method, high aggregate can't be as a result of excellence in just 1 of o'level or utme, which is fair if cut off points soar.
The psychological pain of oppression and marginalization is enough to kill some minds.
Peace.

1 Like

Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by UIvents(m): 4:17pm On Oct 17, 2016
1afrika:

Are you "whyning" me?
They studied d results gotten from what method?
Let me set d aetiology of my disquietude clear, "calling such system 50/50 is dubious, illogical and like taking Nigerians for fools". If they like they can choose to use 70/30 or even 90/10 o'level/utme. Afterall no1 complained during their 60/40 days?
It's just unfortunate dt dey are like eating their vomitus now, in a bad manner tho.

There's nothing like false hope once the process is transparent. Do u think ppl with 70 will complain if d cut off was set as 90 for law? Of course they won't, as long as there was a levelled playing ground, just like in unilag's case.
Change of course has always been free in UI.
No aspirant in unilag can score below 50 as aggregate which showed equal regard for both olevel and utme (5 C6 nd 200 = 50) BUT how do u explain to someone with 310 nd 5C6 having 47. 05 when her friend with 5 B3 and 200 ended up with 67.9 as aggregate.
For unilag their aggregate will be 63. 75 against 65 which is a true reflection of equality. Forget about whether d latter eventually got admitted. 1 had excellent point from utme but low o'level points nd vice versa for the other. Their aggregate should b close.
With unilag's method, high aggregate can't be as a result of excellence in just 1 of o'level or utme, which is fair if cut off points soar.
The psychological pain of oppression and marginalization is enough to kill some minds.
Peace.

Ever thought about why OAU suddenly changed from their 70:30 method to 50:50? Don't you think Jamb is silently pressuring them to treat their exam as an equal to O'level like they did then? Since UI didn't want to do that, then they decided to outsmart Jamb. Is OAU method also a true 50:50?
At least, if Jamb sees 50:50, she won't be able to complain. Think about it. The blame all comes down to Jamb.
Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by cosxzbay: 4:20pm On Oct 17, 2016
In difference of means proportion, .7 is quie significant.
Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by 1afrika: 4:30pm On Oct 17, 2016
UIvents:

Ever thought about why OAU suddenly changed from their 70:30 method to 50:50? Don't you think Jamb is silently pressuring them to treat their exam as an[b][/b] equal to O'level like they did then?[b][/b] Since UI didn't want to do that, then they decided to outsmart Jamb. Is OAU method also a true 50:50?
At least, if Jamb sees 50:50, she won't be able to complain. Think about it. The blame all comes down to Jamb.

This is funny!
Yes, i thought nd d best answer, based on d logically obvious, is dt some schools are likely teaming up to frustrate jamb. Jamb's stance on ds issue has never been clumsy (refer to d news credited to d new jamb boss during d kano technical meeting)

When? @ boldened.
Find out UNN, Unilorin and Unimaid admission criteria and you'll av better insight into ds matter.
Also, find out what Prof Oloyede's requests to d Senate cmtte on TETFUND were (some today's papers reported dt).
Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by fflamingo(m): 5:27pm On Oct 17, 2016
This argument here is baseless, the Senate of Each school has the autonomous right to adjudged it screening modalities. They tried making a good job by adjusting the menace of not writing pume. if you complain from tomorrow till next year. it doesn't change nothing.
Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by fflamingo(m): 5:36pm On Oct 17, 2016
1afrika:

This is funny!
Yes, i thought nd d best answer, based on d logically obvious, is dt some schools are likely teaming up to frustrate jamb. Jamb's stance on ds issue has never been clumsy (refer to d news credited to d new jamb boss during d kano technical meeting)

When? @ boldened.
Find out UNN, Unilorin and Unimaid admission criteria and you'll av better insight into ds matter.
Also, find out what Prof Oloyede's requests to d Senate cmtte on TETFUND were (some today's papers reported dt).
if jamb was frustrated they would have clamped down some school that charged above 2500. but nothing was said. the only instructions was don't conduct another written/oral pume. the schools Senate has d right to choose any modalities deem necessary and to checkmate institutions. Jamb made it compulsory for institutions to provide answers as to why the unqualified one were not admitted.
Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by UIvents(m): 5:47pm On Oct 17, 2016
1afrika:

This is funny!

When? @ boldened.

Frustrate? How?

And you said this yourself ''credited to the new boss''. Is he the one who introduced the method? Was his not his predecessor? He's just trying to revert the mistake made by his predecessor, according to his actions including the TETFUND ish.

Then you said Jamb's stance was never clumsy, were you not in the country when Jamb said she was going to use a particular point method, only to say that the senate of each school has the ability to determine the admission criteria a few days later.
What about when they said they are to give admission to aspirants only or so and then forward the list to each school only to go back on their words some days later.

We get that the new boss is trying to give a new look to Jamb, but the milk is already spilt. His predecessor's policy can't be erased now. At least, it'll use a year more.

@boldened, read the history of UI's post-utme, you'll know when.

In your own words, Peace.
Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by mbhs139(m): 5:49pm On Oct 17, 2016
UIvents:
Both of them claimed using the 50:50 method i.e 50% for O'level and 50% for UTME. Now, let's see which looks more favourable.

For UI, it goes thus:
O'LEVEL
A1; 6 points,
B2; 5 points,
B3; 4 points,
C4; 3 points,
C5; 2 points and
C6; 1 point.
Then, you'll calculate the total points for your 5 jamb combinations in your used O'level result and divide it by 30, then multiply it by 50 i.e 5 subjects/30*50.

JAMB
After that, you'll divide your jamb score by 8.

RESULT
Add the two results you got above i.e for O'level and Jamb together. The result is your weighted score. Looks nice, right?

Now to Unilag, it goes thus: O'LEVEL
A1; 10 points,
B2; 9 points,
B3; 8 points,
C4; 7 points,
C5; 6 points and
C6; 5 points.
All you have to do is to calculate the points for your 5 jamb subjects combination. No multiplication or division needed.

JAMB
You'll then divide your Jamb score by 8.

RESULT
Add the two results above i.e for O'level and Jamb together. You then will have your screening result.

+++++++++++++++
Now, let's assume i have 5 B2s as my O'level result and a Jamb score of 320.

Using UI's method, i'll have; 5*5=25/30=0.83333*50=41.6665 - O'level
320/8=40 - Jamb
so, 41.6665+40=81.6665.

Using Unilag's method, i'll have; 5*9=45 - O'level
320/8=40 - Jamb
so, 45+40=85.

Looking at the two methods, that of Unilag seems higher.

Now let's look at the cutoff marks. Let's assume i choose medicine.

CUTOFF MARKS
For Unilag, the cutoff for medicine is 79.38%, the difference between my score and the cutoff mark is 85-79.38=5.62%.

For UI, the cutoff for medicine is 76.75%, the difference between my score and the cutoff mark is 81.6665-76.75=4.9165%.

Now the difference seems near. The difference between my 2 differences is 5.62-4.9165=0.7035 which is almost nothing.

Conclusively, as long as the method is the 50:50 method, it all comes down to the same thing. One may think one method is more strict but when you analyse it, you'll see that the two methods are almost the same. I hereby rest my case. Thanks for reading this article.

What do you think about it? Do you think i'm right or wrong?

Writer: UIvents
Source:https://uivents./2016/10/16/comparing-uis-method-of-screening-to-that-of-unilag-4/

I am a post graduate student of statistics at the university of lagos, and i've been ruminating on what to write as my project topic. If you don't mind, may be I should just adopt this your calculation and submit it as my projetc, or may be we can collabo to write a paper on this. That is if we can lay our hands on the methods used by all the schools.

Very nice concept you have up there. Kudos!
Re: UI Vs UNILAG's Method Of Screening by UIvents(m): 5:50pm On Oct 17, 2016
fflamingo:
if jamb was frustrated they would have clamped down some school that charged above 2500. but nothing was said. the only instructions was don't conduct another written/oral pume. the schools Senate has d right to choose any modalities deem necessary and to checkmate institutions. Jamb made it compulsory for institutions to provide answers as to why the unqualified one were not admitted.

1afrika, see above. I can see you're an aspirant. What school disappointed you?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How A Struggling Photographer Bagged A First Class In Law / Edo Man Bagged PhD In The Same Field With His Wife / What Do You Call The Little Dot Above The Letter "I"?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.