Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,845 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:58 AM

The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) (5780 Views)

There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe / 13 Scriptures That Will Change Ladies From Entering Hell... By Watchman Peter / A Discussion On God And Consciousness Between An Atheist And A Pantheist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by DeepSight(m): 12:11pm On Oct 19, 2016
raphieMontella:

the bolded...
Other species on other planets?

That is a given, but what is even more evident and certain is an existence beyond the material and physical reality we see in our waking hours. That intangible reality is far more real than the physical reality which we see daily and which will doubtless dissipate for one and all at physical death.

1 Like

Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by DoctorAlien(m): 12:40pm On Oct 19, 2016
ValentineMary:

There were somethings in science that were once thought impossible to deduce eg the amount of Dark matter but by ingenuous methods we have actually unlocked those. By using already laid down procedures by our predecessors.
Now in the field of religion is there no way we can deducd the existence of this watchman people so claim with analytical method as laid down by predecessors ?

I'm pleased to inform you that nobody has ever observed dark matter. They only speculate about its properties. Suffice it to say that the whole notion of dark matter and dark energy was invented to explain certain phenomena which the whole matter-energy in the universe could not account for.

Religion is different from science, and religion ceases to be religion when you decided to apply skeptical empiricism to it.

1 Like

Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by DoctorAlien(m): 12:43pm On Oct 19, 2016
ValentineMary:

The argument of a first cause has been used a lot by theologians but modern science has shown that we can have reactions without actions especially in the quantum world where classical mechanics break down.

Can you show me a reaction that does not have a cause?

1 Like

Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by akintom(m): 12:49pm On Oct 19, 2016
ValentineMary:
Over the years theist and atheist have argued about the possibility of us having a conscious watchman who looks over every of our activities. So this thread is for us to discuss how logical it is for us to claim to have a watchman. Pls only matured comments.

Cc Johnnydon22, Seun , Raphiemontella, Dorox, Doctoralien, Lordnicklaus, Shadeyinka, hopefullandlord, Hahn, Dakol, cloudgoddess, Donnffd, Ifenes, et al

Reality is the state of things as they actually exist, rather than as they may appear or might be imagined. In a wider definition, reality includes everything that is and has
been , whether or not it is observable or comprehensible . A still broader definition includes everything that has existed, exists, or will exist.
- dictionary.

Science: imagination, abstractions and assumptions are subjected to experiment, if the result confirms the assumption in an overwhelming and reproducible pattern, the ASSUMPTION becomes REALITY (truth, logical and exist).

Religion: imagination, abstractions and assumptions NEVER subjected to EXPERIMENT but CLAIMED to be REALITY (yes it's REALITY IN BROADER DEFINITION, because it finds existence in the mental processes of religious folks. This is possible because human brain functions that way).

Being humanist, conscious watchman (God) is illogical to the extent of scientific realities.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by 4kings: 2:01pm On Oct 19, 2016
raphieMontella:

thats new..
The possibility of such a God watching over and not interfering would be ''if we humans are not alone in the universe''
Of course
Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by ValentineMary(m): 5:31pm On Oct 19, 2016
akintom:

Reality is the state of things as they actually exist, rather than as they may appear or might be imagined. In a wider definition, reality includes everything that is and has
been , whether or not it is observable or comprehensible . A still broader definition includes everything that has existed, exists, or will exist.
- dictionary.

Science: imagination, abstractions and assumptions are subjected to experiment, if the result confirms the assumption in an overwhelming and reproducible pattern, the ASSUMPTION becomes REALITY (truth, logical and exist).

Religion: imagination, abstractions and assumptions NEVER subjected to EXPERIMENT but CLAIMED to be REALITY (yes it's REALITY IN BROADER DEFINITION, because it finds existence in the mental processes of religious folks. This is possible because human brain functions that way).

Being humanist, conscious watchman (God) is illogical to the extent of scientific realities.

But is this logical to humans to believe this based on religious concept that are not open to scrutiny ?
Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by ValentineMary(m): 5:32pm On Oct 19, 2016
DoctorAlien:

Can you show me a reaction that does not have a cause?
There are effects in the quantum world with no known cause. Eg quantum entanglement, quantum tunneling, etc. They just happen.
Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by ValentineMary(m): 5:35pm On Oct 19, 2016
DoctorAlien:

I'm pleased to inform you that nobody has ever observed dark matter. They only speculate about its properties. Suffice it to say that the whole notion of dark matter and dark energy was invented to explain certain phenomena which the whole matter-energy in the universe could not account for.

Religion is different from science, and religion ceases to be religion when you decided to apply skeptical empiricism to it.
No body has observed dark matter but we can tell it's density by how much it bends space time around it and it's gravitational influence on ordinary matter.

But if we are not to be skeptic about it, how can we deduce its authenticity? and if it is not to be empirically deduced, on what basis is it true?
Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by Seun(m): 5:40pm On Oct 19, 2016
Etesam:
I am learning. My problem now is which belief symtem shd i adopt among these? How can I be sure my chioce is accurate?
Just call yourself an atheist and be done with it. 99% of atheists including all the popular names are "agnostic atheists" so it's largely redundant.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by ValentineMary(m): 5:42pm On Oct 19, 2016
DeepSight:

Oh dammnn it!

Stop the italics you hear?

They hurt my eyes.

Now - tell me about reactions without actions in the quantum world.

Just a warning - don't you dare bring up virtual particles in a quantum vacuum - no perfect vacuum has ever been shown to exist anywhere - nor can one exist: following the very rational notions that nature abhors a vacuum and that no such thing as nothingness exists. So called virtual particles exist in so called vacuums which contain gaseous pressure. Thus these are not vacuums at all.

It is simple and rational to understand that things that begin or that move require causes or triggers. This flows with everything that we know, observe and have always known and always observed. It is not only irrational and contradictory to suggest the contrary, it is also counter-intuitive.

Do you not see how contradictory it is to even call something a reaction at all, if it is not triggered by a prior action? Why call it a reaction at all then?

And yet this is what you just did.

The truth is that this sort of deceitful so called quantum logic is far more nauseating in logical terms than all religious myths put together - and yet some people feel intellectually superior or more enlightened for spewing such gibberish.

Sad.
We can call it a reaction because every reaction produces an effect caused by an action. But when there is an effect without any initial action, can we still can it a reaction? yes an automated reaction.
Like in the quantum world, certain things happen that are beyond our normal understanding of physics and the natural world. For example entangled particles both having opposite spins. Is this effect caused by any initial reaction, no they just behave that way.
What about the value c, that is possesed by gravitational waves and electromagnetic waves, what can we actually say caused that, that's just how it is. It is an effect that caused itself.
Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by iomoge2(f): 5:54pm On Oct 19, 2016
Seun:
Just call yourself an atheist and be done with it. 99% of atheists including all the popular names are "agnostic atheists" so it's largely redundant.

Am sure your full name is Oluwaseun.

Dunno if you know what the name means or what the Oluwa in front means...

May God give you reasons to believe he exists in Jesus name. Amen.
Even if its extreme reasons.
smiley smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by missnawty(f): 6:48pm On Oct 19, 2016
Seun:
uncle seun seun wink
Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by Etesam(m): 6:52pm On Oct 19, 2016
Thank you.
Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by akintom(m): 7:00pm On Oct 19, 2016
ValentineMary:

But is this logical to humans to believe this based on religious concept that are not open to scrutiny ?

Don't get your question
Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by Etesam(m): 7:02pm On Oct 19, 2016
Having been steeped in religion for 3 decades, how am I to be able to unentangle myself from religious mentality.
Say 'just dont believe' is not enough. I need tutorial.
Seun:
Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by Seun(m): 7:03pm On Oct 19, 2016
iomoge2:
May God give you reasons to believe he exists in Jesus name. Amen.
Even if its extreme reasons.
smiley smiley smiley
By extreme reasons you mean if God appears at my gate in a pillar of fire and refuses to let anyone enter or leave the compound until he speaks to me, right?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 19, 2016
Etesam:
Having been steeped in religion for 3 decades, how am I to be able to unentangle myself from religious mentality.
You can get help buy reading books like
'The God delusion'
Or try this free blog
http://godisimaginary.com/i1.htm

The blog above really helped me move away from agnotism into full blown atheism.

1 Like

Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by raphieMontella: 7:32pm On Oct 19, 2016
Seun:
exactly..
Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by Nobody: 7:41pm On Oct 19, 2016
Seun:
By extreme reasons you mean if God appears at my gate in a pillar of fire and refuses to let anyone enter or leave the compound until he speaks to me, right?
Quiet funny. The theist's wants you to go back to the shackles of religion. They don't know that its nearly impossible for an ex-theist atheist to go back to religion.
And even if they do it will be a far different version of theism.
What's also funny is how they think they can judge us, their stringent belief that they are right and we are wrong. They think they know everything about atheism. But the truth is that only does of them that were ex atheist really understand atheism, and there aren't many of those around. But most atheist were once religious they know all that goes through the religious mind, only we can rightfully criticize.

2 Likes

Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by hopefulLandlord: 7:44pm On Oct 19, 2016
Etesam:

why do you want to leave "religious mentality"?

are you questioning your faith?

if yes, what prompted the questioning?
Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by Etesam(m): 7:51pm On Oct 19, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

why do you want to leave "religious mentality"?...
So you want to enjoy freedom to disbelieve all alone?

1 Like

Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by Etesam(m): 7:54pm On Oct 19, 2016
I know I am derailing the thread. I only wanted a place to obtain credible information.
Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by Seun(m): 8:06pm On Oct 19, 2016
Etesam:
I know I am derailing the thread.
I only wanted a place to obtain credible information.
I certainly want to help but we need to know more about you and your current situation. Could you create a new thread for this?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by Nobody: 8:12pm On Oct 19, 2016
Etesam:
Nice one.
Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by Mimzyy(f): 8:20pm On Oct 19, 2016
I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live as if there isn't and to die to find out that there is.
Albert Camus

Cc Seun

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by Nobody: 8:28pm On Oct 19, 2016
Mimzyy:
I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live as if there isn't and to die to find out that there is.
Albert Camus

Cc Seun
If he's not there you wasted your life and you won't even realize it because you're dead. If he is there he has a lot to answer to.

1 Like

Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by byteHead(m): 8:36pm On Oct 19, 2016
Etesam:

If you want to be free from the bondage of religion, start by studying the bible.
Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by DoctorAlien(m): 9:10pm On Oct 19, 2016
ValentineMary:

There are effects in the quantum world with no known cause. Eg quantum entanglement, quantum tunneling, etc. They just happen.

That the cause is not known does not mean it doesn't have a cause. Ancient people once thought that many diseases which are caused by microorganisms didn't have a cause. We know better today.

To hold that a phenomenon such as an uncaused action is true, which not only violates logic, but also nauseates any rational mind, will be to acknowledge reason-contradicting claims: the same crime of which you accuse religious people.
Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by DoctorAlien(m): 9:17pm On Oct 19, 2016
ValentineMary:

No body has observed dark matter but we can tell it's density by how much it bends space time around it and it's gravitational influence on ordinary matter.

But if we are not to be skeptic about it, how can we deduce its authenticity? and if it is not to be empirically deduced, on what basis is it true?

My brother, this is the same argument religious people present; just with the terms changed viz: You cannot see GOD but you can tell whether or not He is present in a life by observing what fruits the person yields.

You accuse religious people of having faith in an unseen GOD? You are guilty of having faith in an unseen phenomenon too.

I would tell you to rather sift everything you hear from "scientists" and reason with your own head. A lot faith is exercised today even in the camp of those who label themselves as empiricists.
Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by DoctorAlien(m): 9:44pm On Oct 19, 2016
ValentineMary,

A whole lot is wrong with modern science. The whole idea of dark matter exists because it is assumed that the spacetime is a geniune proposition. Please follow this link to find out that the idea of spacetime is a hoax that not only needs to be immediately retired, but also raises questions about the veracity of what most people hold as "truth" today, supposedly from the stables of science.
Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by Nobody: 10:26pm On Oct 19, 2016
DoctorAlien:
ValentineMary,

A whole lot is wrong with modern science. The whole idea of dark matter exists because it is assumed that the spacetime is a geniune proposition. Please follow this link to find out that the idea of spacetime is a hoax that not only needs to be immediately retired, but also raises questions about the veracity of what most people hold as "truth" today, supposedly from the stables of science.
Continue in your delusion but leave science alone. How easily you doubt the procedures that led to the device you now use to campaign for your non existent God, that led to most of the basic amenities you enjoy today.
Re: The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion) by DoctorAlien(m): 11:21pm On Oct 19, 2016
Lennycool:

Continue in your delusion but leave science alone. How easily you doubt the procedures that led to the device you now use to campaign for your non existent God, that led to most of the basic amenities you enjoy today.

I spotted about two logical fallacies in your post:

1. Argumentum ad hominem

2. Argumentum ad verecundiam

There could be more.

I wonder why you think that Christians are anti-science. For the records, I'm a scientist.

There is a difference between science and speculation! Let me shock you: most of the things you know about science might actually be fairytales enshrouded in a cacophony of grandiloquence.

And oh, brother, the idea behind ICT today is not that nothing exploded 13.8 billion years ago, neither is it that a bacterium suddenly became a dog and then dinosaurs! nor is it that spacetime became curved by dark matter which nobody has seen!

The idea behind ICT is science.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

September 2015 End Time Rumours / If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? / IN WHOSE/WHAT'S IMAGE ARE THESE CHILDREN CREATED? MAN FIXING GOD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.