Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,414 members, 7,808,477 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:33 PM

NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities (38726 Views)

Universities Awarding Degrees In Less Than 6 Months, PhD Below 1 Year - NUC / NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng / NUC Scraps Pre-degrees, Diplomas Programmes In Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by MRNews: 8:43pm On Oct 18, 2016
Commission moves to review curricula

Pre-degree and diploma programmes in Nigerian universities have been scrapped. The National Universities Commission (NUC), which took the action, instructed them to leave the running of such programmes for polytechnics and concentrate effort on producing human capital in the core undergraduate, part-time and post-graduate courses.

Executive Secretary of the commission, Prof. Abubakar Adamu Rasheed, gave this order at meetings held between October 10 and 12 with vice chancellors of the 143 universities in the country, according to a statement by the NUC yesterday.

He also directed that the research directorate of NUC be strengthened to work with those of universities. This is to co-ordinate research activities in universities and ensure relevance of their outputs. He said the NUC, would engage a mix of old, experienced and young vibrant academics to come up with curricula that would not only be dynamic and responsive to national needs, but also conform to global trends.

The statement continued: “A comprehensive review of the entire university curricula (the Benchmark Minimum Academic Standards (BMAS)) and ranking of Nigerian universities have also been scheduled for 2017, while two of the cardinal activities of the commission, accreditation of programmes and resource verification, will now take place only twice and thrice a year, respectively: May and November for accreditation as well as March, July and December for resource verification.”
NUC also warned that any university that failed to present its programmes for accreditation promptly without satisfactory reasons, given well in advance, would be denied same and the relevant agencies (JAMB and NYSC) duly notified.

“The accreditation of part-time programmes would ensure that they are of the same quality as the full-time programmes, thereby restoring public confidence in them,” it said.

Rasheed urged universities to identify their areas of strength to mount joint Ph.D. programmes in view of increasing cost of training overseas.

He enjoined the vice chancellors to be creative and innovative enough to come up with new courses and programmes that would address emerging societal challenges.

He expressed NUC’s readiness to work with them to develop the BMAS for such new programmes.

http://m.guardian.ng/news/nuc-scraps-pre-degrees-diplomas-in-varsities/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by ring7(m): 9:01pm On Oct 18, 2016
OK ,we Dee wait,no be today ,Una start Dee talk am

4 Likes

Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by nwakibe: 9:10pm On Oct 18, 2016
That's a good one. The source though.
Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by Nobody: 9:20pm On Oct 18, 2016
Nice one
Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by nelsonnelly(m): 11:08pm On Oct 18, 2016
Seriously are parents complaining about pre degrees? How does it affects them. The so called jamb they should focus on which is bringing so many youths down from pursuing their choice of career they are not looking into it. why the pre degree which student/youth are really hopeful of gaining admission is being scraped. we youths should stand up against it. we can't watch our leaders,old men,corrupt leaders kill our career. they have gotten theirs and want to eat alone that why they are behaving this way. Let's campaign this #StopTheScrapingOfSubDegree and #LookIntoJamb

67 Likes 9 Shares

Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by joystickextend1(m): 11:39pm On Oct 18, 2016
Okay
Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by DrayZee: 11:43pm On Oct 18, 2016
Rubbish

3 Likes

Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by superfelix: 1:00am On Oct 19, 2016
waz all this nonsense nitori olorun

3 Likes

Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by fran6co(m): 1:22am On Oct 19, 2016
mtcheew, they shd also assist in scrapping sorting and the rest of those krassy fees students pay

2 Likes

Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by Ibifizzleboy(m): 7:05am On Oct 19, 2016
Uniport the worst hit regards this decision

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by otokx(m): 7:53am On Oct 19, 2016
Is this really true? Diplomas and Pre degree/remedial studies are different things.

1 Like

Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by lastmessenger: 8:06am On Oct 19, 2016
I support this move

8 Likes

Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by DrayZee: 8:51am On Oct 19, 2016
lastmessenger:
I support this move
There is no reason to support this.

After spoiling some people's Jamb results due to incompetence and sheer stupidity, they also removed post utme which was their only other option.

Now they have been delayed by 1 year already and have opted for a Pre-degree program and now you want to take that away from them too.

Where is all this stupidity coming from?

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by misreal(m): 8:59am On Oct 19, 2016
I don't just understand what this people want set.

1 Like

Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by lastmessenger: 9:52am On Oct 19, 2016
DrayZee:

There is no reason to support this.

After spoiling some people's Jamb results due to incompetence and sheer stupidity, they also removed post utme which was their only other option.

Now they have been delayed by 1 year already and have opted for a Pre-degree program and now you want to take that away from them too.

Where is all this stupidity coming from?

Dont be offended. My opinion is that everybody should write jamb and gain admission to the university.
I have seen countless people waste time and money on diploma and predegree only to be disappionted( not given admission) while some ended being given admission to courses they never wanted to study. the university end up making a killing and raking in huge amount of money.

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by Nobody: 10:02am On Oct 19, 2016
Since the validity period of UTME has been extended to 3 years, there isn't much need for predegree again.

On the other hand, this is going to affect Universities' IGR a lot.

6 Likes

Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by godwinstringed1(m): 10:08am On Oct 19, 2016
lastmessenger:

Dont be offended. My opinion is that everybody should write jamb and gain admission to the university.
I have seen countless people waste time and money on diploma and predegree only to be disappionted( not given admission) while some ended being given admission to courses they never wanted to study.in the university end up making a killing and raking in huge amount of money.
my bro...i'm a victim..jamb gave me 174 despite all my efforts......now i depend on PD. Stayin hom don tire me. Everybody pls epp me pray mak my hope fr dis pd no vanish. Amen.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by DrayZee: 10:18am On Oct 19, 2016
lastmessenger:

I have seen countless people waste time and money on diploma and predegree only to be disappionted( not given admission) while some ended being given admission to courses they never wanted to study.in the university end up making a killing and raking in huge amount of money.
Your point is valid, but they cannot just wake up one morning and scrap an entire program...just like they did with Post-Utme.
What about those who have already paid for registration or have even started classes already.
Do these people reason at all?

6 Likes

Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by adekayo1234(m): 10:42am On Oct 19, 2016
Those that gained admission through predegree go be like....

Narrow escape

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by veekid(m): 10:47am On Oct 19, 2016
Lautech go suffer o

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by Hdz4luv: 10:49am On Oct 19, 2016
Chai every thing is tough now

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by bignene(m): 10:49am On Oct 19, 2016
There is great injustice in the college of Education, Agbor. Imagine 45 staff who were fully employed in 2011 with appointment letters issued to them an duly regularised, confirmed after probational period of two years in 2013, Received salaries for almost two years, for no reasons their names were removed from the Delta state central payroll in April 2013. It will interest you to note that after series of appeals made to the past Governor of Delta State. Dr. Emmanuel. E. Uduaghan a reinstatement letter was issued to the ministry of Higher Education to COE. Agbor $ COE warri for the affected names to be reinstated back to the Delta State Central payroll with effect from April 30th 2015. Till date the reinstatement process has not seem the light of the day, instead, the college of Education Agbor management and G. Council went ahead to employ new staff and they being paid from IGR, the same IGR they have neglected to pay the affected 45 Staff of COE. Agbor. The question here is why is COE Agbor disengaging its affected staff while COE Warri is accommodating its affected staff awaiting the revalidation process of His Excellence Sen. Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by Icecomrade: 10:51am On Oct 19, 2016
Okay
Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by okechukwu101: 10:51am On Oct 19, 2016
Hmmmm.....Nigeria changes everyday

1 Like

Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by Biddypearl(f): 10:52am On Oct 19, 2016
Dats better
Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by morereb10: 10:52am On Oct 19, 2016
thank God am out of the university

mmmmmmmmmmma

1 Like

Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by jef131: 10:53am On Oct 19, 2016
Ok
Re: NUC Scraps Pre-degrees And Diplomas In Universities by okechukwu101: 10:54am On Oct 19, 2016
praguyer:
good
Why is it good? Is it because it doesn't affect you?

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Somadina Nwabuwa Gets Yam Tuber, Live Chicken As COOU Best Graduating Student / LAUTECH Vs UNILORIN: Students Battle On Twitter / Oluwatunmise Idowu Solves 17 Maths Questions In 1 Minute

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.