Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:20 AM

Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] (16803 Views)

CBN To Introduce Lower Denominations On Atms / CBN To Introduce N5,000 Note / CBN Plans To Introduce N5000, N2000 Notes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 6:56pm On Oct 22, 2009
Lagos to introduce electric vehicles in 2010
By Sulaimon Salau

POISED to become one of the fastest developing states of the world, the Lagos State Government yesterday said it planned to introduce electric vehicles in the state by January 2010.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/oct/22/40.html

The State Commissioner for Environment, Mr. Muiz Banire, disclosed this at a sensitisation programme to combat climate change in Ifako-Ijaye Local Council. He said the order had been placed for the vehicles and arrangements concluded to start using them by January 2010.

The technology, which is new around the world, he said, would in the first phase be used by the Ministry of Environment and then other parastatals and councils in the state. The move, he noted, would go a long way in eradicating emission and ultimately promoting the state's cleaner environment initiative.

Lamenting human activities that cause ozone depletion, the commissioner stressed that the state government would also adopt energy efficiency system by replacing the energy consuming bulbs with the energy-saving bulbs. Banire, therefore, urged Lagosians to shun activities that lead to climate change, such as bush burning, refuse burning, unserviced cars and generator emissions, among others.

"Climate change does not only create food crises, but it is also a mass-killer, and that is why it attracts higher attention than Human Immune Virus (HIV)," he said.

In view of this, he said, the state government was committed to combating global warming and will intensify efforts on the existing and emerging strategies, such as the Bus Rapid Transport (BRT), Eko solar project, landscaping and beautification and the aggressive tree planting programmes, among others.

The Executive Chairman of Ifako-Ijaye Local Council, Mr. Demola Doherty, who championed the sensitisation programme, said that evidence of change and impacts of climate change abound in every community, hence the need for all and sundry to brace up for the challenges and guarantee life sustainability on earth.

He added: "I therefore urge our people to change their attitude towards the environment and support efforts to reclaim the same from agents of degradation. It is in this direction that our administration will continue to intensify efforts on tree planting.

"We will construct more roads and drainage, linking them with each other to ensure free and unimpeded flow of water, as well as ensure environmental cleanliness and waste disposal management to prevent the occurrence of flood in our council areas."

Global warming is an increase in average temperature of the earth atmosphere, leading to climate change. The rate at which earth is heating up is high and issues such as ozone depletion, melting ice, rising sea level and flooding are also on the increase.

The effects of these are enumerated as mental related diseases, respiratory diseases, increase in temperature, heat waves, food scarcity, low life span, flooding, water contamination and short-term labour, among others.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 7:02pm On Oct 22, 2009
How will this one work without electricity, Mr Fashola?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Nobody: 7:29pm On Oct 22, 2009
madness of the highest order angry
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 7:36pm On Oct 22, 2009
MrPrsdent:

madness of the highest order angry

It's not madness because there is nothing wrong with dreams. This initiative may make the whole country wake up about the inherent energy problem.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 7:40pm On Oct 22, 2009
Electric cars?? Those things are mega EXPENSIVE and will Cost a lot to MAINTAIN in a country like Nigeria. Shouldn't we start low before we move this high, especially for GOVERNMENT use? What happened to "Keke" Transportation or even riding the bus for those government workers? I mean that will definitely reduce emissions a greater deal.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by morpheus24: 7:41pm On Oct 22, 2009
@ poster

them no get their priorities straight
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by DrKitaun(m): 7:43pm On Oct 22, 2009
I wonder why u guys are in too much of a hurry ?

FASHOLA will deliver once again !
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 7:45pm On Oct 22, 2009
Dr Kitaun:

I wonder why u guys are in too much of a hurry ?

FASHOLA will deliver once again !

How will he implement this in a country that has epileptic electricity and bad roads?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 7:58pm On Oct 22, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Electric cars?? Those things are mega EXPENSIVE and will Cost a lot to MAINTAIN in a country like Nigeria. Shouldn't we start low before we move this high, especially for GOVERNMENT use? What happened to "Keke" Transportation or even riding the bus for those government workers? I mean that will definitely reduce emissions a greater deal.

Roads first. Electric cars do not run on raggedy roads.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Nobody: 8:07pm On Oct 22, 2009
24 hour electricity is the miracle that will transform nigeria.they should sort that out first.every other thing follows automatically
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 8:22pm On Oct 22, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Roads first. Electric cars do not run on raggedy roads.

Not even roads first. Just that GOVERNMENT spending tax money on purchasing ELECTRIC cars( with starting cost at $35K each) does not make sense to me at this point. We are speaking of a government that still gets allocations, has so much to deal with, has worse environmental issues to tackle, going for ELECTRIC cars. We could start with increasing number of bicycles and REDUCING number of motor vehicles on the road. Tackling other issues like electricity which remains epileptic, and maybe starting with hybrid cars and maybe electric buses before electric cars.

Now, if this is another one of em PRIVATE SECTOR PROJECTS being promoted by Government on public time, then I can definitely take a second look at the plan and it's benefits.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 8:29pm On Oct 22, 2009
MrPrsdent:

24 hour electricity is the miracle that will transform nigeria.they should sort that out first.every other thing follows automatically

Gbam
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by sjeezy8: 8:54pm On Oct 22, 2009
24 hours electricity is for the FG to solve not Lagos state. Fashola doesnt have say in how private investors or funds are used in Lagos. If a company wants to use their electric cars in Lagos state, you cant expect him to say no, because at the same time, Lagos state receives money and who ever brought these investors receives commission. The world is focusing on Africa this time around and going green heavily in Africa benefits not only africans but the whole world. Globalization- Africa is the center of the world, if africa dies so does the world.

Electricity will soon be solved whether by the Govts act on their own or pressure from the western powers. Electricity is needed for agriculture and irrigation, to benefit the importers of African resources.

smh - some people just dont think
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by sjeezy8: 9:13pm On Oct 22, 2009
sjeezy8:

New Index For Investors Wanting To Tap Into Africa's Multi-Billion Pound Market - Star Of Africa Index Ranks Countries By Investment Potential - Africa Provides Wealth Of Opportunities Despite Global Recession - Ethiopia Provides Second Largest Investment Opportunities, After Nigeria

Topping the index is Nigeria, which, despite its poor governance score, offers significant scope for improvement in access to water, electricity and ITC infrastructure. Ethiopia ranks second, based on its potential for better countrywide access to water and electricity.

Some of the major opportunities available include:
An estimated 497 million people need access to electricity.
47% of Africa's energy use is sourced from biomass, much of which is inefficient and environmentally destructive.
600 million potential customers are waiting for access to improved sanitation.
Over 36 million hectares in Africa are suitable for irrigation, but are not actually irrigated.
628 million Africans do not have mobile telephone subscriptions.
Only 6% of Africans use the Internet.

http://www.mondovisione.com/index.cfm?section=news&action=detail&id=80834

The smart people abroad are making connections and going back to Nigeria
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 9:46pm On Oct 22, 2009
The nay naysayers as usual.

Seems some folks in Nigeria are just allergic to visionary leaders.

It's like a sad case of damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 10:11pm On Oct 22, 2009
babapupa:

The nay naysayers as usual.

Seems some folks in Nigeria are just allergic to visionary leaders.

It's like a sad case of damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Get real
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Abagworo(m): 10:14pm On Oct 22, 2009
hahahahaha.naija di egwu.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 10:36pm On Oct 22, 2009
sjeezy8:

24 hours electricity is for the FG to solve not Lagos state. Fashola doesnt have say in how private investors or funds are used in Lagos. If a company wants to use their electric cars in Lagos state, you cant expect him to say no, because at the same time, Lagos state receives money and who ever brought these investors receives commission. The world is focusing on Africa this time around and going green heavily in Africa benefits not only africans but the whole world. Globalization- Africa is the center of the world, if africa dies so does the world.

Electricity will soon be solved whether by the Govts act on their own or pressure from the western powers. Electricity is needed for agriculture and irrigation, to benefit the importers of African resources.

smh - some people just dont think

That's what we are saying. If electricity is still a big issue, why talk about electric cars. They can as well talk about rocket science by 2010. Like Kobojunkie said, an electric vehicle costs about $35K, is that what you think will be suitable for lagos state?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 10:36pm On Oct 22, 2009
Get real

About what?

That the man manufactured the unemployment problem in Nigeria?

That he's forcing gradates in his state to drive taxis?

That he's wrong for trying to create jobs in his state.

Fine, you don't like his taxi scheme, but it doesn't mean what he's doing is wrong.

Get real about what again?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 11:04pm On Oct 22, 2009
babapupa:

About what?

Fine, you don't like his taxi scheme, but it doesn't mean what he's doing is wrong.

About the fact that this thing ain't gonna work this time. Is fash gonna create an independent energy company to manage it or what?. You want PHCN to dissapoint commuters on top of Eko bridge?.

Even the electric cars that run on batteries are too expensive to implement.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Nobody: 11:16pm On Oct 22, 2009
Is this a joke? angry
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 11:32pm On Oct 22, 2009
babapupa:

About what?

You know what? The post you quoted was meant for the Akala thread hence the taxi reference. Please scratch it, you're free to debate inside the Akala thread.

About Fashola and his Electric Vehicle plan.

1. You're not part of his administration.

2. You have no knowledge per the details.

3. You are not siting behind the governors desk in Alahusa.

4. You don't have a crystal ball to see into to future and you can not evaluate what's till on the table.

The man has been doubted so many times and he's yet to be proven wrong.

All you doing is naysaying and gainsaying and good or bad, I appreciate good thinking leaders with great vision and innovation. Folks like these build and develop sane and credible societies out of adversities.

Do you honestly think Alahusa is oblivious per the energy situation in Nigeria? Are they not Nigerian's sef?

I'm glad they're thinking ahead and finding solutions to tomorrow's problems.

Like I said, we are allergic to visionary leaders.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 11:33pm On Oct 22, 2009
Roflmao!!!! grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 12:49am On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

You know what? The post you quoted was meant for the Akala thread hence the taxi reference. Please scratch it, you're free to debate inside the Akala thread.

About Fashola and his Electric Vehicle plan.

1. You're not part of his administration.

2. You have no knowledge per the details.

3. You are not siting behind the governors desk in Alahusa.

4. You don't have a crystal ball to see into to future and you can not evaluate what's till on the table.

The man has been doubted so many times and he's yet to be proven wrong.

All you doing is naysaying and gainsaying and good or bad, I appreciate good thinking leaders with great vision and innovation. Folks like these build and develop sane and credible societies out of adversities.

Do you honestly think Alahusa is oblivious per the energy situation in Nigeria? Are they not Nigerian's sef?

I'm glad they're thinking ahead and finding solutions to tomorrow's problems.

Like I said, we are allergic to visionary leaders.

Stop writing nonsense here. I don't care what his vision is but this one is off the hook. The cost and its feasibility beats me. May you walk me through it?. Simple airport, we cannot maintain 12 hours constant electricity and you are looking for electric cars. A project that is still in infancy in the west. Haven't we tried the satellite thing that fell off the space?. Get real.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-341333.0.html
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 1:15am On Oct 23, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Roflmao!!!! grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

Aloy~Emeka:

Stop writing nonsense here. I don't care what his vision is but this one is off the hook. The cost and its feasibility beats me. May you walk me through it?

Directly or indirectly, you're making my point for me.

Of course, the feasibility beats you because you know nothing about the plan, you have have zero knowledge, all you have is a newspaper article.

Unlike you, I can not walk you through anything till I'm privileged with the plans and I'm not gonna lose a minute's sleep over what's still on the table and what I know nothing about.

It's extremely irrational and unrealistic to criticize a noteworthy and noble plan just because of a newspaper article. It's not like called you and tabled the plan in your face.

Like I said, all you're doing is gainsaying.

When you
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by chika98: 1:18am On Oct 23, 2009
Trust some stupid folks to actually go out and buy one. Then charge with generator. Nigerians can be so daft! Why are you focusing on things that don't and won't actually help the greater population?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 1:59am On Oct 23, 2009
babapupa:

Directly or indirectly, you're making my point for me.

Of course, the feasibility beats you because you know nothing about the plan, you have have zero knowledge, all you have is a newspaper article.

Unlike you, I can not walk you through anything till I'm privileged with the plans and I'm not gonna  lose a minute's sleep over what's still on the table and what I know nothing about.

It's extremely irrational and unrealistic to criticize a noteworthy and noble  plan just because of a newspaper article. It's not like called you and tabled the plan in your face.

Like I said, all you're doing is gainsaying.

When you 

Tell us the plan if you have something different from the newspaper article?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 2:25am On Oct 23, 2009
@What point ROflmao!!!! grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

Funny how this dude BENDS to the ILLOGICAL when it has to do with Lagos State, but he suddenly aquires reason when it comes to ND issues. I am laughing at how weird it is that this same dude would make excellent points on other issues but when it comes to issues that have to do with Lagos/Fashola, he just looses it completely, and jumps to LAMPOONING all those who question his dear Lagos/Fashola. It seems a lot of folks on nairaland do that that. I mean try to engage @Beaf on a NON-ND issue, and you realize that guy is not really a DOPEHEAD, but bring up ND and he just looses all sanity. Roflmao!!!

grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 5:27am On Oct 23, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Tell us the plan if you have something different from the newspaper article?

Unlike you, I don't throw ice at the sun, I don't yell and cry about a project I know little or nothing about. You and I are not privy to whatever plans they have on the table beyond the news article.

Do you know how much it's gonna cost, do you know who's paying for it? do you know anything about the accompanying infrastructure? Of course not. All you're doing is yahking away just for the heck of it and  Monday night quarterbacking.

You're displaying your unreasonable and irrational side.

Folks like you yelled and cried when the state government rolled out the BRT, we listened to your 24/7 BS about maintenance and infrastructures. Today, the state government not only have the necessary infrastructure in place to keep BRT running for years to come, they have maintenance yards all over the state, they have Material Procurement centers, they have training centers. Thank God the state didn't pay attention to folks like you, BRT is a huge success.

Same BS was leveled against the Drivers institute but with biometric system, simulators and on site eye clinics, the institutes are more sophisticated than what they have in the US.

@ Kobojunkie.

I see you're itching to get in the game, all you need to do is bring up any fallacy of mine per the Delta. It's only natural for folks to coil when something unfavorable is said about their kins and home town, but it doesn't mean truth and right was misappropriated. Feel free to prove me wrong.

I hardly waste my time on Beef, the dude hardly make sense. His boyfriend Tinubu is his only pre-occupation and concern, he has tons of Tinubu's pics and artifacts on his hard drive for crying out loud.

About illogical, please tell me what is and what's not with your own take per the subject matter. It's only fair instead of siting on the fence with your toy water gun. I'm game.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by babapupa: 5:43am On Oct 23, 2009
Stop writing nonsense here. I don't care what his vision is but this one is off the hook. The cost and its feasibility beats me. May you walk me through it?. Simple airport, we cannot maintain 12 hours constant electricity and you are looking for electric cars. A project that is still in infancy in the west. Haven't we tried the satellite thing that fell off the space?. Get real.

Thanks for editing your post with additional junk, quit being desperate.

Definitely on point about your irrational side. What's apples got to do with oranges? lmao.

The Airport is not Fashola's jurisdiction so go sell that to some clueless JJC. I'm sure Fashola go make arrangements for his own airport when his ready to build one.

What's this nonsense got to do with Fashola, has any of this nonsense prevented him from advancing his state?

You really can do better and please stay on  task and quit looking for irrelevant Bits & Piece to hold up your faltering and redundant argument.

Your argument is void of credibility, you are not in Fashola's head.

It is your God given right to open your mouth and talk, it just doesn't mean you know what tha hell you're yahking about.

So we should sit on our hands and not think or move forward because we don't have stable power? This has got to be the silliest  cave man mentality and absurdity.

Thank God your ramblings are limited to NL.

Most charging stations are solar powered, they don't tap off the grid. This is common sense and don't tell me technology is a million years ahead of you.

This is what they look like these days.

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/16/view/6067/solar-powered-parking-and-charging-stations.html
[img]http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2009/10/12/481127.1-lg.jpg
[/img]

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2009/10/12/481127.html
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Jakumo(m): 6:19am On Oct 23, 2009
Since Pastor Eunuch Adejale Adebole has already demonstrated the feasibility of running a gasoline powered vehicle for 200 miles using PRAYER ALONE as an environmentally friendly and renewable energy source, there is absolutely no reason why fleets of  battery-powered cars cannot be recharged in Nigeria, even in the total absence of any grid electricity whatsoever, disgruntled elements and naysayers please note.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by fyneguy: 7:08am On Oct 23, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Not even roads first. Just that GOVERNMENT spending tax money on purchasing ELECTRIC cars( with starting cost at $35K each) does not make sense to me at this point. We are speaking of a government that still gets allocations, has so much to deal with, has worse environmental issues to tackle, going for ELECTRIC cars. We could start with increasing number of bicycles and REDUCING number of motor vehicles on the road. Tackling other issues like electricity which remains epileptic, and maybe starting with hybrid cars and maybe electric buses before electric cars.

Now, if this is another one of em PRIVATE SECTOR PROJECTS being promoted by Government on public time, then I can definitely take a second look at the plan and it's benefits.

Why do I think someone always itches to post something when she lacks the capacity and information  to do so?

So  $35,000 (less than N5.25M)  is what you call MEGA expensive? na wa for some people sha. When I saw mega expensive, I was expecting $100,000 or more.

If it would cost the state govt $35,000 to acquire an electriccar, then it makes a whole lot of sense, given its attendant benefits, vis-a-vis the cost of the conventional cars.

One should expect the state government to have done its feasibility studies  before going for it.

The amount that will be saved on fuelling  cars alone, not to mention the environmental benefits,  justifies this laudable project.

Let's seek information from the right quarters, to avoid making uninformed comments

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Paypal Withdraws Support For Facebook’s Libra Cryptocurrency (photos) / Firstbank Achieves 100m Monthly Transactions / Please How Lucrative Is Coconut Oil Business?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.