Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,875 members, 7,802,810 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:17 PM

My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. (3319 Views)

#500,000 Profit Shock In My Cucumber Farm. PROMTEX FARMS. / My Cucumber Trial / Pictures Of My Cucumber Farm From Land Preparation To Harvest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by nexman(m): 8:49am On Oct 19, 2016
My venture into this trial farm was inspired by posts from several Nairalanders in the Agric forum, like those from the Cucumber King, Jasper; Jethro2, the Master 'Trainess'; Pavore9, the Agro Sage; Kalusam, the irrigation Prince; Soloxam and SeedWorld the seed bullion vans.

I researched a bit about the various varieties of Cucumber seeds available and finally settled for Murano2 F1. F1 is the tag assigned to seed or hybrids derived from carefully crossing 2 or more plants of same specie to harness the qualities of the various parent plants.

That said, I was able to get the Technisem Murano2 F1 (an improvement from Murano F1) from SeedWorld... It was somewhat scarce and pricier than the others. I got consent from my friend to use the piece of land besides my Friend’s house. The land had plantains already on it but they hadn't canopied.

RIDGE MAKING :
I cleared the patch roughly measuring 20mx45m, then my problems started. The hands I got did not know what the heck a bed/ridge was and least of all how to make one. Even after showing them repeatedly I ended up getting escavation heaps. All hope was not lost, as the deep trench/trough btwn the ridges served a useful purpose.

Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by nexman(m): 10:39am On Oct 19, 2016
MANURING:
I applied surface dressing with poultry waste on the bed and worked it into the soil to a depth of about 15cm. I then irrigated and left it for about 1wk. This was relatively fresh waste. I didn't have the time to compost.

IRRIGATION :
Not wanting to bank only on rain fall, I rigged water via pvc pipes from the house to the patch and used hose to spray. Optimally, drip irrigation either using drip tapes or pvc pipes with ¹/16 inch holes drilled at specified planting intervals is best. But my 'pipo', I was cutting On cost.

PLANTING.:
I wanted to maximise space so I planted 2 rows per bed at 30cm interval at 2-4inch depth... Length of finger up to 2 joint. I thoroughly watered the beds a day before planting half of the patch. They sprouted on day 4. Here are the pix at day 9.

Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by nexman(m): 11:00am On Oct 19, 2016
IRRIGATION CONTINUED:
The deep furrows my inglorious workers escavated came to good use. I channeled the waste water from my friend's fish pond into a long trench escavated at the head of the line of Ridges so the waste water empties into the furrows as it flows by. So water get to the beds vía capilary action for update by the plant roots... No dehydration for the cukes.

Now, I encountered issue No 2. My cukes had elongated Stems. There was risk of stem break. I read up the likely causes. 2 culprits stood out... Over manuring and lack of sun light. I also saw that the young plants all tended to lean in one directión.

Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by nexman(m): 11:22am On Oct 19, 2016
Cucumbers love sun a lot. I noticed that on one side of the patch, there were tall trees that tended to shade the plants. I now have to employ 2 remedies... Trim down the offending branches and transplant/replant the Seedlings. So I am now carefully uprooting and replanting the cukes, burying the seedlings up to just below the first leaves. Painstaking work.

Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by Following(m): 1:37pm On Oct 19, 2016
WOW
Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by Following(m): 1:44pm On Oct 19, 2016
I am glad to finally see someone frm my area experimenting also.since you are in uyo,can i visit your farm sir? currently trying out tomato in a small garden along abak rd

1 Like

Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by shadowid: 8:13pm On Oct 19, 2016
how many grams did u plant and d dimension
Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by Kalusam(m): 11:46pm On Oct 19, 2016
keep up the great work and keep us updated(as time permits you) on your cucumbers!
Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by Gric: 8:22am On Oct 20, 2016
Following:
I am glad to finally see someone frm my area experimenting also.since you are in uyo,can i visit your farm sir? currently trying out tomato in a small garden along abak rd
Great guys of the future..would love to have a look too. cheers!
Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by nexman(m): 8:25am On Oct 20, 2016
Oh sure. Will be very much available on Saturday.
Following:
Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by nexman(m): 8:31am On Oct 20, 2016
Rough dimension of the patch is about 20mx45m. I have planted about half so far. I got 3nos 50g Tin of Murano2 F1. ¾ of 1 TIN planted so far. A 50g Tin is estimated to contain about 1,000 seeds. I never got around to counting.
shadowid:
how many grams did u plant and d dimension

Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by Following(m): 8:37am On Oct 20, 2016
That analysis of seed used and land area is very helpful,..pls where in uyo z ur farm
Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by nexman(m): 8:39am On Oct 20, 2016
I will boss. Thanks. I still have my eyes on procuring the drip kit from you soon. I will call once am ready.
Kalusam:
keep up the great work and keep us updated(as time permits you) on your cucumbers!
Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by Following(m): 8:41am On Oct 20, 2016
Gric:

Great guys of the future..would love to have a look too. cheers!
If u r in uyo,its behind d ikot okubo sec skl,am always in the farm.
Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by Gric: 8:45am On Oct 20, 2016
Following:
If u r in uyo,its behind d ikot okubo sec skl,am always in the farm.
Ok, nyadi o..sosongo bro
Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by Following(m): 11:21am On Oct 20, 2016
Gric:
Ok, nyadi o..sosongo bro
na atem ndidia asok mmon utom o utu di
Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by shadowid: 11:28am On Oct 20, 2016
have harvested mind BT I used cu999
Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by shadowid: 11:29am On Oct 20, 2016
have harvested mind BT I used cu999. how much is d cost of 1 tin
Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by Gric: 12:16pm On Oct 20, 2016
Following:
na atem ndidia asok mmon utom o utu di
Abasi mmi ke enyong! Nke ka nyem ibo yak atem afere tomatoe anim anno...kuyak mboko mfehe o. cheesy
Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by Following(m): 12:53pm On Oct 20, 2016
Gric:

Abasi mmi ke enyong! Nke ka nyem ibo yak atem afere tomatoe anim anno...kuyak mboko mfehe o. cheesy
tomato mi edibike iwod dion,abudia ayendo ke ufa isua
Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by Following(m): 12:56pm On Oct 20, 2016
shadowid:
have harvested mind BT I used cu999
hw much z the cu999,which shop did u get it in uyo and what was the yield like
Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by nexman(m): 10:13pm On Oct 20, 2016
Down Nwaniba, Close to Le Méridian
Following:
That analysis of seed used and land area is very helpful,..pls where in uyo z ur farm
Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by nexman(m): 8:47pm On Oct 26, 2016
On Day 14, I applied organic pesticide using Neem oil (oil extracted from the seed of Neem tree locally known as Dogonyaro. Using a ratio of 4 table spoons of Neem oil to 1table soon of local/black soap to 1 liters of water. The black soap acts as an emulsifier else it wouldn't mix with water. I drenched the plants using a knapsack sprayer. You may ask why!
... I had noticed that something was chewing up the tender leaves of the cukes. I strongly suspect snails, catapillar or beetle/bug. I will spray repeatedly every 5 to 7 days.

I have also commenced trellising, though this may be considered quite early but all the same, it has to be done. Better now than later.

1 Like

Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by Following(m): 10:36pm On Nov 03, 2016
how z the cukes ministry so far? u v forgotten ur thread
Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by nsydear: 6:09pm On Nov 07, 2016
Following:

am also interested in cucumber farming. trying to secure a land in Nsit ibom or it environs. please u guys should link me up with any seller from that axis. will be grateful. mbok esin unwam eno.
Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by Following(m): 6:50pm On Nov 07, 2016
nsydear:

am also interested in cucumber farming. trying to secure a land in Nsit ibom or it environs. please u guys should link me up with any seller from that axis. will be grateful. mbok esin unwam eno.
mkpo isong ase kpon mkpo o! i am from uyo,even tho mum z frm d said nsit, land scarce for dt side o cos of lack of agents
Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by AmazingSolutnz(m): 9:26am On May 23, 2017
OP, how did it go? By now you must had harvested (and maybe planted again).... what was it like?
Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by nexman(m): 6:25pm On Jul 03, 2017
AmazingSolutnz:
OP, how did it go? By now you must had harvested (and maybe planted again).... what was it like?

I have been so caught up in farming activities that I hadn't visited the thread in awhile now. The cucs came out wonderfully well. I even had some measuring almost 30cm in length.

1 Like

Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by RobbStark(m): 6:42pm On Jul 03, 2017
OP, tnx for this wonderful piece and info. It has helped alot especially to peeps like me who see agriculture as the future in Naija.

Pls wanna know hw long it took to harvest the cucumber. Thanks
Re: My Cucumber Trial In Uyo. by Holycity(f): 8:46am On Dec 02, 2017
Pls how can I get this seed here in uyo

(1) (2) (Reply)

Brush Cutter, Rice Harvester, Tiller And Corn Planting Machine Are Available.. / Pomato-growing Potato And Tomato From One Stem! / Super Gro

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.