Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,913 members, 7,802,974 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:04 AM

How To Know A Good Engine. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Know A Good Engine. (3755 Views)

Hot Deal! 2000 Toyota Sienna: Very Good Engine And Body! / These Are Toyota Camry Facts You May Not Know – A Peek Into The Unknown / How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Know A Good Engine. by whoislikeGod(m): 10:48am On Oct 19, 2016
Please experts in the house I need your advice.
Of recent my Camry v6 xle 1998 model engine got knocked. I want to buy a direct Belgium engine to replace the old one, since they don't allow one to open the engine as to have a look of the inside before buying; how do I know a good sound one with standard crankshaft and metals intact. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: How To Know A Good Engine. by talktonase(m): 11:07am On Oct 19, 2016
Re: How To Know A Good Engine. by honmusa(m): 11:40am On Oct 19, 2016
whoislikeGod:
Of recent my Camry v6 xle 1998 model engine got knocked. I want to buy a direct Belgium engine to replace the old one, since they don't allow one to open the engine as to have a look of the inside before buying; how do I know a good sound one with standard crankshaft and metals intact. Thanks in anticipation.
check for compression ,check for rod knock Noice ,check the condition of the oil,check for sign of coolant mixing with oil ,and finally for signs of engine dismantling work done on the engine before .
Ordinarily u can't do this by yourself unless you have the experience and the skill,U need a trained professional with a special equipment to do these for you .
contact autologic @08061166316
Re: How To Know A Good Engine. by whoislikeGod(m): 12:01pm On Oct 19, 2016
OK, autologic I intend buying it at Onitsha. hopefully month end. I don't want to make any mistake. 130k is not easy for me to bring out now. again which is best, aluminium cast or iron cast engine. advice please.
Re: How To Know A Good Engine. by honmusa(m): 1:19pm On Oct 19, 2016
whoislikeGod:
OK, autologic I intend buying it at Onitsha. hopefully month end. I don't want to make any mistake. 130k is not easy for me to bring out now. again which is best, aluminium cast or iron cast engine. advice please.
It is better you buy the exact replica of the engine you are changing ,don't let any engine seller or Kazeem confuse you into buying what is not design for your car .When the manufacturer if your car are designing your car ,the engine material parameters have been calculated into the design .If your engine is aluminum or cast iron ,buy what you meet there.
Unless you want to design and manufacture a fresh car for the engine you are buying.
Re: How To Know A Good Engine. by whoislikeGod(m): 5:15pm On Oct 19, 2016
OK, thanks. But am still convinced of the tips to look out for when buying a Belgium engine. please throw more lights. from the explanations given to me on the previous post, one of the tips was to listen to the sound of the engine, I want to be cleared; is it before the engine is mounted or after? I want an instant check before paying for the engine. I was meant to understand that mechanics sometimes connive with the seller as per convincing you the buyer to buy and later went back to take their cut. things like these ( check for compression ,check for rod knock Noise ,check the condition of the oil) I think they can worked on.
Re: How To Know A Good Engine. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:19pm On Oct 19, 2016
whoislikeGod:

i have this engine (toks) sitting in my workshop. Unfortunately I can't sell because u not installing in my workshop. I buy my engines whole and straight from whole sellers, since I started buying this way, if recorded 100per success. It's more expensive for me but I'm rewarded with spare parts. Look at my latest acquisition below, you do not need to be a Mech to know the engine and tyranny are 1st grade toks

1 Like

Re: How To Know A Good Engine. by connkg(m): 9:16pm On Oct 19, 2016
Sorry to come in at a tangent...

How do you know the interior of this clean-looking toks? Things like mileage covered, age, condition of its timing belt?
Re: How To Know A Good Engine. by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:09pm On Oct 19, 2016
connkg:
Sorry to come in at a tangent...

How do you know the interior of this clean-looking toks? Things like mileage covered, age, condition of its timing belt?

This engine arrived in its true state (no washing)

Things to look out for that would tell you if engine is high mileage or defective.

1. Oil leaks: check seals at cam and crankshaft areas, check valve cover seal, check (honda) Vtech solenoid areas. Any oil leaks in those areas is a sign engine is high mileage.

2. Colour of certain parts: 1.Dip stick: If metal, should be shiny like it's original production colour, if dark, it shows past user poorly maintain engine.

2: Inside valve cover: in some engines allow visual access to the camshafts from the top cover, engines with clean shiny inner parts are a yes, and those that are dark and sludgy on the inside are a NO NO.

3. Tags: timing belt replacement interval tags can help you guess the mileage of an engine, if the tag is there and engine is a v6 engine is over 120k miles, if it's a 4cylinder engine is over 100k.

4. Replacement parts: if water pump looks cleaner than engine then engine is over 100k miles if starter motor has been replaced it is possible engine was used as a taxi grin

5.engine oil level and colour: engine oil at the right mark with good colour tells a lot about oil burn and state of the engine.

6, oil smell: that one you will need to sniff a lot of oil to undastand.

7.coolant colour: pink yes omi! NO NO

8.engine compression: no one will allow you use any fancy tools on their engines, let a lone see the spark plugs, but you are alowed to turn the engine using a wheel spanner to get a good perspective of the amount of compression engine has.

9. Head gasket: Graphite NO metal type YES

10.Cracks and dents: when off loading engines are severely damaged in some cases, and if you do not look well you find out after engine is started that it either leaks oil, coolant or air angry

11. Wrong engine: it might look like your engine but will not fit in the bay. It might fit in the bay but might not start, it might start but might throw a code, ensure you know your exact engine model and number, even when you think you know it, engines from asia and America most times are not the same and will require modifications before they function properly.

12. Sniff: if it looks too good it might have been washed, so sniff and smell if you smell kerosine or petrol then nah appearance you wan buy.

I could go on and on.........

Pay a mechanic well to inspect properly from a selection of engines before paying for one, if you have no technical know how, every thing I have listed here can be manipulated and you are left with lemonade

wink

18 Likes

Re: How To Know A Good Engine. by obo389(m): 12:25am On Oct 20, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

This engine arrived in its true state (no washing)

Things to look out for that would tell you if engine is high mileage or defective.

1. Oil leaks: check seals at cam and crankshaft areas, check valve cover seal, check (honda) Vtech solenoid areas. Any oil leaks in those areas is a sign engine is high mileage.

2. Colour of certain parts: 1.Dip stick: If metal, should be shiny like it's original production colour, if dark, it shows past user poorly maintain engine.

2: Inside valve cover: in some engines allow visual access to the camshafts from the top cover, engines with clean shiny inner parts are a yes, and those that are dark and sludgy on the inside are a NO NO.

3. Tags: timing belt replacement interval tags can help you guess the mileage of an engine, if the tag is there and engine is a v6 engine is over 120k miles, if it's a 4cylinder engine is over 100k.

4. Replacement parts: if water pump looks cleaner than engine then engine is over 100k miles if starter motor has been replaced it is possible engine was used as a taxi grin

5.engine oil level and colour: engine oil at the right mark with good colour tells a lot about oil burn and state of the engine.

6, oil smell: that one you will need to sniff a lot of oil to undastand.

8.engine compression: no one will allow you use any fancy tools on their engines, let a lone see the spark plugs, but you are alowed to turn the engine using a wheel spanner to get a good perspective of the amount of compression engine has.

9. Head gasket: Graphite NO metal type YES

10.Cracks and dents: when off loading engines are severely damaged in some cases, and if you do not look well you find out after engine is started that it either leaks oil, coolant or air angry

11. Wrong engine: it might look like your engine but will not fit in the bay. It might fit in the bay but might not start, it might start but might throw a code, ensure you know your exact engine model and number, even when you think you know it, engines from asia and America most times are not the same and will require modifications before they function properly.

12. Sniff: if it looks too good it might have been washed, so sniff and smell if you smell kerosine or petrol then nah appearance you wan buy.

I could go on and on.........

Pay a mechanic well to inspect properly from a selection of engines before paying for one, if you have no technical know how, every thing I have listed here can be manipulated and you are left with lemonade

wink
wow. very detailed and expository. tnx for the write up for have learnt loads dis nyt.
bless up.
Re: How To Know A Good Engine. by whoislikeGod(m): 7:09am On Oct 21, 2016
13281-0A010
3 98 F
My engine metal number is the figures above, the first mechanic that checked my engine on the road as the point where it get knocked after looking at the metal said is 010(crankshaft reduced) while the second mechanic I called to assess the engine at my house where I pack the car after showing him the metal said is STANDARD crankshaft. please I want to know the grade of my crankshaft based on the numbers I display above, Am confused here. the engine knock i had was as a result of water leakage which caused the overheating till the engine knock down on my way unknown to me, while driving i was busy looking on my time neglecting my temperature . I just bought the car from a friend. I've concluded on buying another engine. pencil light xle 1998 model. thanks
Re: How To Know A Good Engine. by honmusa(m): 11:05am On Oct 21, 2016
whoislikeGod:
13281-0A010
3 98 F
My engine metal number is the figures above, the first mechanic that checked my engine on the road as the point where it get knocked after looking at the metal said is 010(crankshaft reduced) while the second mechanic I called to assess the engine at my house where I pack the car after showing him the metal said is STANDARD crankshaft. please I want to know the grade of my crankshaft based on the numbers I display above, Am confused here. the engine knock i had was as a result of water leakage which caused the overheating till the engine knock down on my way unknown to me, while driving i was busy looking on my time neglecting my temperature . I just bought the car from a friend. I've concluded on buying another engine. pencil light xle 1998 model. thanks
Bros leave story ,pay a mechanic to look for engine for you before before you get more confused cos I no even understand you again if it is crankshaft you want buy or engine .
Re: How To Know A Good Engine. by diportivo: 12:16pm On Oct 21, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Mmiri nko

honmusa:

Bros leave story ,pay a mechanic to look for engine for you before before you get more confused cos I no even understand you again if it is crankshaft you want buy or engine .

Honmusa don vex grin grin grin
Re: How To Know A Good Engine. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:34pm On Oct 21, 2016
honmusa:

Hon I confuse pass you grin
Re: How To Know A Good Engine. by whoislikeGod(m): 3:34pm On Oct 21, 2016
please don't be offended, I don't have a mechanic. going by the point I'm trying to make, I've concluded going to the market with the mechanic that came to my house to check the engine that got me confused with simple question that any good mechanic can answer. now tell me how can I go to buy engine with him. I don't how capable he is in terms of recommending a good engine.

(1) (Reply)

How Korope(mini Buses) Can Make You 1million Naira / How Much Is A Rover 75 In Naija? / Land Rover (lr3),honda Accord(evil Spirit)and Mercedes Benz Cls 500(used).advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.