Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,854 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:27 PM

Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old (57848 Views)

The 10 Books You Should Read In 2020 To Have A Productive Year / Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read / What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by tete7000(m): 9:44pm On Oct 21, 2016
charix:

Yes.

Your opinion. It's the reason we humans are individuals.

If this is a problem don't forget to read four to five more summaries on the same book to view it from different viewpoints. Many books I've read were an exercise in pointlessness as they were rife with descriptions and nothing else. I've come across a few books watching movies based off them was a more productive activity.

Not enough reason to spend hours and/or days on a book when I can pick a dictionary, word processor, type a word, find its meaning and locate synonyms.

I keep hearing this but feel it's an exaggerated situation. Majority of nairalanders who have spent more than a year here have improved drastically in both vocabulary and grammar. Keep an eye out and you'd notice this. A lot of them signed in with mediocre English skills. Why not improve grammar while having fun reading others' experiences? I followed the same thought when learning a few skills.

Beneficial as watching movies and playing video games. The only problem is Nigerian parents see no problem with children wasting time reading books but always voice opinions seeing them perform other activities.
Books are not the only means to an end in developing healthy imaginations in children and young adults, other activities play the same role to a lesser and sometimes more extent.

You have a quite good points though I don't 100% agree with you. First if I am going to read four, five summaries, would I have not ended up spending almost the same amount of time reading the book? Secondly, if I think a book is interesting and I need someone's summaries, why don't I just pick the book and read the same way the person summarising has done. I guess its a bit of laziness rather than anything else that would make me jettison a book I consider valuable and begin to look for people's summaries. They say if it is not panadol, it can't be the same with panadol...grin To inculcate hardwork and resilience into a child, you insist they learn to sit and read.

Next you talk about films but I don't believe films and book serve the same purpose. Sometimes why you insist a child read is to ensure he can learn the virtue of patience and calmness. Ability to stick with a thousand-paged book teaches a child more than vocabulary, it enriches his life with something much more, endurance, painstakiness and patience. You don't come by those by watching films, I am quite certain. Infact, one thing I have noticed about the generation that watches films and don't read is that they are always in a hurry and don't pay attention to details. They are lazy and often expect others to carry out their responsibilities for them.

On a final note, on the issue of vocabulary, books offer much more varied uses of words than you get by picking a dictionary or going through nairaland. When you have read books, you will discover uses of words than you have ever encountered depending only on dictionaries. Also if I may add, a child who depends on places like nairaland is likely to pick wrong construction and uses of tenses as many of us using these media outlet are more interested in passing our messages across than in constructing correct tenses. A well-reviewed book ensures grammatical errors are eliminated.

5 Likes

Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by kolado(m): 9:45pm On Oct 21, 2016
I have not read any of them;how does it make me half educated or being an lliterate?? We just need hardly adjust our sensibilities to the reality of Nigerian society without western influence.

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by awakeuche(m): 9:46pm On Oct 21, 2016
Senorprinz:
he was talking as if capital will fall down like manna from heaven.
i agree, all his theories were mostly dependent on economic trend which is a biased way to begin any investment, more like try and see method
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by Nobody: 9:50pm On Oct 21, 2016
Franky826:

That emotional intelligence nawaooo
It's kinda tiring for me I've been reading it for 3weeks now and still haven't finished. The write up just kept connecting and disconnecting for me. If not for kiyosaki that recommended it am long gone to another book.

Meanwhile it's Goleman not 'C' cheesy

I never really got to finish it too cheesy, its just there on my bookshelf. I mostly read the stories experiences and skimmed through most part of the book.

As for the name, i mostly read at night without my glasses, under a bright light so what i always saw was curve which my brain translated as C...thanks for the correction, though. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by vosquare: 9:52pm On Oct 21, 2016
Where can I get these books?
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by anonimi: 9:53pm On Oct 21, 2016
emymeeky:
U don't need those. Books to survive in 9ja

Is that why we have an illiterate as president who has dragged us into recession and keeps dragging us into ignominy everytime he opens his mouth outside our shores angry

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3381879_168046_jpegbc55e6d7f4fd3025f6bfe56b49496ba8

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2086803_103387287707102596807188497009572757904956n_jpegff71b7e1c6606ccca9e45b84778ea211

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by Phi001(m): 9:58pm On Oct 21, 2016
After the story part, that rich dad poor dad just tire me... Dad it like 5-6 years ago.

Meanwhile 48 laws of power, Act of seduction, other Robert Greene books are the main thing sha...

The Bible too....very important!
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by LastSurvivor: 9:58pm On Oct 21, 2016
Richest man in babylon by Samuel George Classon
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by tonyflash43(m): 10:00pm On Oct 21, 2016
Wow am actually readig number 2: RICH DAD POOR DAD by Robert Kiyosaki
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by rakabuba001(m): 10:05pm On Oct 21, 2016
I recommend The Alchemist if you are a travel enthusiast like me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by umanah8(m): 10:07pm On Oct 21, 2016
movmentish:

Its not manipulative in the real sense of it, its just knowledge is for the betterment of he who posseses it. You dont agree?
it's manipulative afterall.......because nobody can pay anyone for what he or she already knows
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by frankypunk(m): 10:12pm On Oct 21, 2016
Gifted hands by Ben Carson

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by Maximus85(m): 10:14pm On Oct 21, 2016
Hmmmm, where's the Bible? The book of divine wisdom.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by movmentish(m): 10:18pm On Oct 21, 2016
umanah8:
it's manipulative afterall.......because nobody can pay anyone for what he or she already knows
You pay yourself, i could build a car from scratch if i have the knowledge. Thats not manipulative.

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by Obodah(m): 10:21pm On Oct 21, 2016
For me, the two books that changed my life and shape it for better are: 1. Spirit controlled temperament- by Tim LaYahe. 2. No Excuse! - by Brian Tracy. Oh Man know thyself! Those two books will help you know yourself completely.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by MrLekan95(m): 10:23pm On Oct 21, 2016
Noted
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by umanah8(m): 10:28pm On Oct 21, 2016
movmentish:

You pay yourself, i could build a car from scratch if i have the knowledge. Thats not manipulative.
....hmmm never thought of it that way.....quite true
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by Tamakay(m): 10:30pm On Oct 21, 2016
It makes a lot of sense to me but how do I get them. Op pls help. My email, tamakay33@yahoo.com
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by kazyhm(m): 10:31pm On Oct 21, 2016
1,2& 6 will look for the rest me self don read plenty books oooo
lol
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by Joygalore(f): 10:38pm On Oct 21, 2016
I read only my bible and I am successful today

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by Nobody: 10:38pm On Oct 21, 2016
tete7000:

You have a quite good points though I don't 100% agree with you. First if I am going to read four, five summaries, would I have not ended up spending almost the same amount of time reading the book?
I can never equate a 1,000 page book to five 50 word summaries. 250 words would last me ~20 minutes or less but a 1,000 page novel may take me two days maybe more if one puts slow parts of the book into consideration.

Secondly, if I think a book is interesting and I need someone's summaries, why don't I just pick the book and read the same way the person summarising has done. I guess its a bit of laziness rather than anything else that would make me jettison a book I consider valuable and begin to look for people's summaries. They say if it is not panadol, it can't be the same with panadol...grin
I once read the book the art of seduction. It was the worst waste of time I had ever indulged in. The book contained stupid story upon stupid story I was better off not reading. It was the reason I chose to read summaries over books themselves. Riddle me this, if you miss a live event but know people who witnessed it, what's the first action which'd come to mind? Obviously you'd ask around. Shared information is a quicker way to assimilate things because the other party breaks down the message into easy and understandable language one can always remember.

To inculcate hardwork and resilience into a child, you insist they learn to sit and read.
Different means to the same end. You can also teach them a sport. Those build discipline even faster.

Next you talk about films but I don't believe films and book serve the same purpose.
A picture contains a thousand words. Two pages chucked full of only descriptions are easily broken into one movie scene. The only problem movies have against books is people imagine scenes different from their visual depiction.

Sometimes why you insist a child read is to ensure he can learn the virtue of patience and calmness.
I agree with this, the problem is a lot of books are not worth the time spent.

Ability to stick with a thousand-paged book teaches a child more than vocabulary, it enriches his life with something much more, endurance, painstakiness and patience.
Vocabulary mostly and an air of superiority is what I notice the most in book readers. As for patience, my prior response addresses it.

You don't come by those by watching films, I am quite certain.
Four hour movies and series fill this role.

Infact, one thing I have noticed about the generation that watches films and don't read is that they are always in a hurry and don't pay attention to details.
As humans behave in times of information overload. I'd tell you a fact: there are more books available in the world today than readers. If you add blogs, journals and other forms of literature then you'd understand why people don't pay attention to details anymore.

They are lazy and often expect others to carry out their responsibilities for them.[quote]
Any means to get the job done. I can paint a house alone and spend a week or hire people to do the same in a day. Either way the work was done.

[quote]On a final note, on the issue of vocabulary, books offer much more varied uses of words than you get by picking a dictionary or going through nairaland. When you have read books, you will discover uses of words than you have ever encountered depending only on dictionaries. Also if I may add, a child who depends on places like nairaland is likely to pick wrong construction and uses of tenses as many of us using these media outlet are more interested in passing our messages across than in constructing correct tenses.
Hmm. I guess people forget a literature section exists where avid book readers post stories. The science fiction writer (can't remember her name) once used nairaland. I'm very sure it influenced her style of writing as it does both yours and mine.

A well-reviewed book ensures grammatical errors are eliminated.
Yes.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by DICKtator: 10:46pm On Oct 21, 2016
swann:
I've read no 1,2 and 5.

the rules of enterpreneurship by Rob yeung.
emotional intelligence by Daniel Coleman

Who is Daniel Coleman?

Has he changed his name to Coleman?

Or you read the made-in-nigeria version?

grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by Deo27: 10:51pm On Oct 21, 2016
Please is there anyone with link to get books (softcopy)
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by HoneyBee23(f): 11:13pm On Oct 21, 2016
Sweet
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by Nafizzey(m): 11:14pm On Oct 21, 2016
The magic of thinking big..
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by HoneyBee23(f): 11:14pm On Oct 21, 2016
DICKtator:

Who is Daniel Coleman?

Has he changed his name to Coleman?

Or you read the made-in-nigeria version?

grin grin grin grin
grin
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by slurryeye: 11:18pm On Oct 21, 2016
BIDOO:

Are you sure everything is working fine up there?

It takes a sharp mind to understand what I said. Sorry your intelligence quotient didn't meet up
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by slurryeye: 11:19pm On Oct 21, 2016
DerrickzB:

Lolz.. no be me n u oh.... anyhow naija go better.. make u self go cotonuo

Me I dey place wey many times better pass Cotonou o. So take your advice and do the necessary grin
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by emdeey(m): 11:23pm On Oct 21, 2016
Read sex god method, etrainer and thank me later
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by NEWTONDEGREAT(m): 11:39pm On Oct 21, 2016
The impossible is possible by......John Mason. in fact I love the 3rd one since Isaac Newton is involved. But dnt forget to get "Because Am Involved" by Ojukwu
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by Preciousseed(m): 11:44pm On Oct 21, 2016
I was not disappointed by the book in the list. I have read 4/5. And I can categorically say that OP us right. Those books are good!
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by Nobody: 12:19am On Oct 22, 2016
I know "Rich dad, Poor dad" must be there.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Marital Vice / TWO MAN BUSINESS - (The Complete Series) / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: 'I Was Happy To Wear Dior Cleavage-Baring Dress'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.