Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,099 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:06 PM

Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth (75529 Views)

The Reason Why Oba Of Benin Banished Dr Ogiugo. / Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife / Why Oba Of Lagos Snubbed Ooni Of Ife (SEE Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Raymondreigns(m): 5:06pm On Oct 21, 2016
I nr need read d post..I suspects its because deir mouth is smelling since dey neva talk 4 months nw
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by gurunlocker: 5:06pm On Oct 21, 2016
So Oba no get joy?

1 Like

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by sisisioge: 5:06pm On Oct 21, 2016
Wowzer! That's rich...but does that mean he would have his hands raised towards his mouth all the days of his life in public so long as he doesn't wanna talk? Nice info babes...you did very well. Wese o grin
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Talk2Bella(f): 5:07pm On Oct 21, 2016
Rich culture
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by freedom96: 5:07pm On Oct 21, 2016
Hm
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Nobody: 5:07pm On Oct 21, 2016
glossy6:
How many heads did they bury the late Oba with?

Is there any head of your family members missing?

7 Likes

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by dhakingpin(m): 5:07pm On Oct 21, 2016
SABA2002:
cheesy they are arguing among themselves who is going to share the OTHER ROOM with oga this night grin cheesy cheesy cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by domido(m): 5:08pm On Oct 21, 2016
It's true...... His first son will never see him again.

2 Likes

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by chibykem(m): 5:08pm On Oct 21, 2016
ohoo...me i think say person mess and na royal wey to cover nose n mouth...i see ;
The Man Mouth dey smell; even him WIVES no fit stand the ODOURiferous-ager cum...
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by BrOwnSuga3: 5:09pm On Oct 21, 2016
Niger Delta Republic can be GREAT

Arewa can be GREAT

Oduduwa can be GREAT

Biafra can be GREAT

But Nigeria can NEVER EVER be great!

Split this shitt hole now, it doesnt matter matter how many times you scream "Nigeria will be great", shitt ain't gonna happen.

5 Likes

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Maski87: 5:12pm On Oct 21, 2016
I thought polygamy was illegal in Nigeria
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by yinkslinks(m): 5:13pm On Oct 21, 2016
Cus the oba mess. but one man on three toto na wa ooooo. na the one wey wet pass me go like badly.
GurlFriend:
Yesterday, Oba Ewuare ll N'Ogidigan ascended the revered throne of his ancestors to become the 40th Oba of Benin, succeeding his late father, Omo n’Oba n’Edo Uku Akpolopkolo, Oba Erediauwa.

The photo below of the newly coronated Oba puzzled many people.

Why was the Oba covering his mouth? It was obviously a cultural act but what was the significance? Even his wives covered their mouths.

I did some investigation and found out the following:

The Oba usually covers his mouth because when he talks he is the supreme authority. Whatever he says is final.

People talk on his behalf most of the time and whatever they proclaim becomes the Law with immediate effect.

A friend of mine who is a painter said he did a painting of the old Oba and it was rejected because it depicted him smiling. According to tradition, people are not supposed to see the Oba's teeth so he doesn't smile.

His wives covered their mouths as a sign of submission.

Don't you just love our culture? So rich and varied!

If I have any fact wrong, please clarify.

Oba atokpei, iseeeeeee!!! cheesy

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/10/so-heres-real-reason-new-oba-of-benin.html
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Nobody: 5:15pm On Oct 21, 2016
Ogbeni na lie jare Na nose dem dey cover stylishly, seems during the coronation n all, at d middle of it, one of his Queens av to fart so I believe one of em farted, more likely that Queen in the middle undecidedand what smell would u expect from such a woman's rosebud, that has eaten all what not.

They all av no other option than to cover their noses n mouths stylishly kee angry

It's called Royal Mess sad angry embarassed... oh! Poor king made to still sit in thr

1 Like

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by ring7(m): 5:17pm On Oct 21, 2016
I thought he has smelling mouth. cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by madapcmod: 5:17pm On Oct 21, 2016
U mean say if bomb explode inside there oba no go shout "osanobua " angry

2 Likes

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by rubyradiance(f): 5:18pm On Oct 21, 2016
phranklyn92:
i just like this oba...dont know why undecided
If you follow up on Bini royals as per d oba you will totally love them,do you its a taboo for his wives to wear clothes I.e covering their shoulders? Come December he will be celebrating his 1st IGWE festival its going be another cultural display for 7 days
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Compliant(m): 5:19pm On Oct 21, 2016
martineinstein:
even me wey be edo man no even know sef

Now you know
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Jacko1(m): 5:19pm On Oct 21, 2016
Oba is stressing himself

Create office for ppl to hold handkerchief over tour mouth

If i be Oba na wetin i go do walai

1 Like

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by nizetee: 5:19pm On Oct 21, 2016
ouzo1:
Ok..I been feel say na blue boy,him and wives pop wey them the hide am

Baaad guy grin or maybe dem de sniff some hard stuffs off the handkerchief.!

1 Like

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by slysteel: 5:21pm On Oct 21, 2016
joey150:
Africa should get rid of all these things..where was our so called tradition when the white man took us all as slaves.. These things help set us back many thousand years..that is why most of our big strides in development came when we where under our colonial masters.

We keep dwelling on tradition that adds no tangible meaning or advancement to our society at large.
useless nairaland children

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by ouzo1(m): 5:21pm On Oct 21, 2016
nizetee:

Baaad guy grin or maybe dem de sniff some hard stuffs off the handkerchief.!

Mah nigga
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by obailala(m): 5:23pm On Oct 21, 2016
joey150:
Africa should get rid of all these things..where was our so called tradition when the white man took us all as slaves.. These things help set us back many thousand years..that is why most of our big strides in development came when we where under our colonial masters.

We keep dwelling on tradition that adds no tangible meaning or advancement to our society at large.
Not every tradition is a problem. A person without tradition is like a lost soul.

The sensible thing to do is to throw away or modify retrogressive traditions whilst you hold on tight and proudly to harmless rich traditions.

Today all over Nigeria we have several states practicing borrowed caribbean traditional carnivals while we dump our own; but that's the height of inferiority complex.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Mallamjp(m): 5:23pm On Oct 21, 2016
Respect tradition
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by africanusvu(m): 5:27pm On Oct 21, 2016
God knws dis made no sense 2 me.pls explain more

1 Like

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by SABA2002(m): 5:29pm On Oct 21, 2016
[quote author=dhakingpin post=50395402][/quote]
Bros you are the one by the right hand side of the pix and your best buddy is the other dude grin grin grin bros you like to play too much grin
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by byvan03: 5:31pm On Oct 21, 2016
Mtcccheeewww

1 Like

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Nobody: 5:34pm On Oct 21, 2016
Vorpal:

Is there any head of your family members missing?

haba!dat was too harsh
Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Olufemiolaolu(m): 5:35pm On Oct 21, 2016
What a Backward tradition. His decision isnt supreme any longer. His so called decision shd be supreme on eradication or reduction of prostitution in Edo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by AreaFada2: 5:35pm On Oct 21, 2016
joey150:

Well, ignorance of history is what I see in your statement. Slavery was not unique to Africans taken abroad, though it became highly commercial. Some of the earliest Christians & Muslims were slaves. Bilal, the first Muezzin was a slave previously. Those slaves found equality before God & heavenly promise attractive.

In Benin, Oba Ehengbuda (1578-1604 AD), the son of Oba Orhogbua (1550-1578) who founded Lagos/Eko used to send spies to coastal areas to free slaves from where they were held. He got into conflict with white people for it.

Oba of Benin forbade Benin natives buying or selling slaves or being sold into slavery. But the nobles of other tribes within Benin Empire then insisted on selling their own people. Oba reluctantly agreed to pacify nobles of non-Benin areas of the empire. After all they could cause revolts that can be expensive to put down. Benin needed people for war to defend & expand the empire, not sell to Europeans.

Details of origins of slaves from Africa collected/compiled by European slave traders in those days was published here on Nairaland some years back. While Oyo empire, Dahomey, Ghana and other parts of Africa were listed with number of slaves sold, Benin was not mentioned.

It surprised many people here that Benin was never a big slave trading nation, albeit slave raids into some vulnerable parts of Benin territory by outsiders.
For that reason, Benin has no real diaspora descended from slaves. Most were non-Benin citizens of Benin Empire such as Olaudah Equiano (Gustavus Vassa) who bought his freedom and later published his own book in 1789.

3 Likes

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Yomi6(m): 5:39pm On Oct 21, 2016
I think it's a kind of communication mechanism of some sort.
"za 3 of you.... To za ooza room"

3 Likes

Re: Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth by Nobody: 5:39pm On Oct 21, 2016
beeolhar:

haba!dat was too harsh
And she insulting the late monarch is tolerable?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Beautiful Hausa /fulani Girls ....( Photos) / Shilekunola Moronke Naomi Leads Praise & Worship At Ooni's Palace In Ile-ife / Is Black Magic Real Or Just Made Up To Scare People?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.