Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,514 members, 7,808,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:26 PM

Why Oloruntoba-oju’s When Lemons Grow On Orange Trees Will Haunt You! - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Oloruntoba-oju’s When Lemons Grow On Orange Trees Will Haunt You! (671 Views)

HAUNT............. Short True Life Story By Drabeey / EPISTLES OF ORANGE By Esther Archibong / OMO OLOSAN (orange Seller) A Poem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Oloruntoba-oju’s When Lemons Grow On Orange Trees Will Haunt You! by bookrep: 10:19am On Oct 22, 2016
Oloruntoba-Oju’s fiction, When Lemons Grow On Orange Trees, is a book I had picked up to read out of sheer curiosity and marvel, asides its very simple, yet artistic cover which had initially aroused my interest. Having stumbled on the author’s biography earlier on the internet, I found myself wondering what story such a young mind could tell with a very puzzling and strange title as when lemons grow on orange trees. However, after a quick read of a few pages, I knew I had picked a book worth more than my money, a book worth reviewing even.

When Lemons Grow On Orange Trees begins subtly and lightly, that it allows you to switch roles with its omnipresent protagonist and not feel guilty. Then, as it goes on teasingly, indulging you – the reader, to relive memories and even dare new ones, the table is suddenly turned and you’re given two choices: be ready to be part of a new, harrowing world or drop the book and be haunted for the rest of your life! Now, because I’m not one reader to dodge a good read no matter the sufferings to be endured with the players involved, and, since I was not also ready to be haunted by quotidian events – especially from a book, my decision was not hard to make. And soon, as I continued with the book, having settled what needed to be settled, one thing became very clear, Oloruntoba-Oju may truly be young but her story is so strong and wide apart from the usual and unnecessarily compounded cliches that now seemed to be the trend among young Nigerian fiction writers.

http://www.bukrepublik.com/blog/2016/10/22/why-oloruntoba-oju-when-lemons-grow-on-orange-trees-will-haunt-you/

(1) (Reply)

POEM: It’s Crisis, Its War By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat / ‘you Can’t Stampede Me Over Green Card’ – Wole Soyinka Blasts Critics / Hopelessness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.