Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,573 members, 7,809,091 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:48 PM

ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal (5236 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU Declares 3-day Fasting And Prayer / ASUU Strike: "No More Dialogue: Strike Continues" - ASUU Declares (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by bracelet: 10:53am On Oct 24, 2009
President of ASUU, Professor Ukachukwu Awuzie, who announced the indefinite suspension of the protracted strike in Abuja at a news conference, said the decision was arrived at by the National Executive Council (NEC) of the union, following the signing of the contentious 2009 agreement by the Federal Government on Wednesday.

Awuzie, speaking at the occasion, however, came hard on the university authorities on the conduct of Post-University Matriculation Examinations (post-UME), declaring it as illegal and said it should be stopped.

He stressed that only the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Examination Board (JAMB) had the right in law to conduct entrance examinations into universities in Nigeria.

He also faulted the proposed Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) to be introduced by JAMB next year to replace the UME and Monotechnics, Polytechnics and Colleges of Education Examination (MPCE), saying the new system was an imposition on Nigerians.

Awuzie said public hearing was supposed to be conducted to weigh the merits and demerits of the proposed UTME and for the National Assembly to amend the enabling Act of the JAMB before the take-off of the new system.

ASUU President pointed out that the current university law made it clear that only JAMB should conduct entrance examination into universities, while the Senate of each of the university has the mandate to conduct admissions into various courses within the institution.

He wondered why prospective candidates should be subjected to illegal process of Post-UME,

Source: http://www.tribune.com.ng/24102009/news/news2.html
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by bracelet: 10:54am On Oct 24, 2009
As if Post-UME was conducted and supervised by ASUU members. We speak from both sides of the mouth all the time.

Where was ASUU all this years.
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by Nobody: 11:42am On Oct 24, 2009
I support assu.This post ume is not useful.I graduated 3yrs ago,we never did any of such b4 we got admitted&many of us finished with 2.1.Well it depends if new jambite of now likes,they can continue to have same
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by Nobody: 11:44am On Oct 24, 2009
I support assu.This post ume is not useful.I graduated 3yrs ago,we never did any of such b4 we got admitted&many of us finished with 2.1.Well it depends if new jambite of now likes,they can continue to have same
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by Nobody: 11:44am On Oct 24, 2009
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by 1Emmy: 12:02pm On Oct 24, 2009
Supported, i support ASUU smiley
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by 55gal(m): 12:13pm On Oct 24, 2009
ASUU have being benefiting from the proceeds of post UME exercises,
or are they just aware of the existence of post UME in the universities?
May be they missed their share during the strike.
Some times they just act like people who are not schooled.
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by chosen04(f): 12:35pm On Oct 24, 2009
55gal:

ASUU have being benefiting from the proceeds of post UME exercises,
or are they just aware of the existence of post UME in the universities?
May be they missed their share during the strike.
Some times they just act like people who are not schooled.

U are Wrong!!!. ASUU has not being benfiting from post UME. School authorities has been the ones racking in the millions. Moreover, If ASUU had kicked against it immediately it was introduced ur Educational minister(s) who supported it would have accused them of wrong intentions. Thus, they decided to watch and investigate. ASUU is convinced that is just an avenue for the school authorities to 'steal from Jambites' thus, the reason for condmning the exercise.

Some get ur facts well.
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by gbolahan1(m): 12:47pm On Oct 24, 2009
Supported!
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by toideve(m): 12:56pm On Oct 24, 2009
na wa o, is this what the autonomy is all about?
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by delejames(m): 1:15pm On Oct 24, 2009
chosen04:

U are Wrong!!!. ASUU has not being benfiting from post UME. School authorities has been the ones racking in the millions. Moreover, If ASUU had kicked against it immediately it was introduced your Educational minister(s) who supported it would have accused them of wrong intentions. Thus, they decided to watch and investigate. ASUU is convinced that is just an avenue for the school authorities to 'steal from Jambites' thus, the reason for condmning the exercise.

Some get your facts well.

But the truth is,its been 4years now since the P-UME was introduced.Why didnt they(ASUU) voice out then,why now?

Just as 55gal said and i agree with him/her,they just voiced out now because they have missed their share of the P-UME package during the strike.
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by marcol(m): 1:27pm On Oct 24, 2009
i came in through post ume nad sincerly i 298 in jamb and in post ume i got 58%so i yhink it engouraging for people not 2 cheat thanks.
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by bibiking1(m): 1:31pm On Oct 24, 2009
toba:

I support assu.This post ume is not useful.I graduated 3yrs ago,[b]we never did any of such b4 we got admitted&many of us finished with 2.1.[/b]Well it depends if new jambite of now likes,they can continue to have same

How sensible! Now i guess times have changed and NOBODY graduates with that 'outstanding' result anymore due to the introduction of the post-UME? Please if you wish to make a point always make it with the right analogy and a little consideration for our sense of reasoning!
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by dove24u(m): 1:35pm On Oct 24, 2009
marcol:

i came in through post ume nad sincerly i 298 in jamb and in post ume i got 58%so i yhink it engouraging for people not 2 cheat thanks.

People are still cutting corners in that Post UME. lipsrsealed
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by otokx(m): 1:53pm On Oct 24, 2009
this is quoting out of context
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by kayjegs: 2:08pm On Oct 24, 2009
As far as I am concerned, there is nothing wrong in conducting POST UME, the only problem is the exhorbitant fees paid to do Post UME by Universities which should be regulated. Post UME has been able to sieve the good ones out of the bad ones at least to a reasonable extent. Of course, nothing can be so perfect but it is better than the olden days where there was no Post UME.
ASUU now saying something now does not make sense. What have they been looking at all these days,
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by Nobody: 3:32pm On Oct 24, 2009
when this post-ume was suggested by a former minister then,all the schools immediately implemented because of the money they realized from it both legal and illegal.,ASUU did not make noise then but i'm surprised they are condemning it 5years after,,i just want to know if the one conducted for this year is invalid cause many schools are yet to conduct theirs.,,crap!
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by umar234: 4:22pm On Oct 24, 2009
i think this post ume is not ideal let them just stop it at once from umar,
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by kosovo(m): 4:31pm On Oct 24, 2009
i support, the illegality can not be undermined.
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by matiltomd(f): 4:42pm On Oct 24, 2009
So Post UME is now "illegal" to ASUU? Guess they are just waking up from their yeye slumber! Personally, i think Post UME is just a time wasting act, they still cut corners, coming out with a good score, and still meeting up to the school/course's cut off still doesn't guarantee you an automatic admission, Rubbish!
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by tunde300us(m): 5:29pm On Oct 24, 2009
I think the post UME isnt so much a bad idea,but the only problem i see with it is tht its too expensive and shld either be free or just a little token.
Can someone tell me where the questions for the post UME comes 4rm if not from ASUU members,how come they re now condemning it when they are the same ppl that set and mark the exam.
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by vislabraye(m): 5:45pm On Oct 24, 2009
Nigerians like making things more difficult for its citizens. this PUME is just a way of reducing the number of students being admitted or just a way to make money,

Personally i dont see the sense for the ministry of education to implement post UME, and at the same time its still the same ministry that set up JAMB. Are they trying to say that jamb is not competent enough? Or Are the school authorities not also members of ASUU? Is it not the same ASUU that conducts the PUME exams? They are all bunch of confusionists
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by puskin: 5:54pm On Oct 24, 2009
~Bluetooth:

when this post-ume was suggested by a former minister then,all the schools immediately implemented because of the money they realized from it both legal and illegal.,ASUU did not make noise then but i'm surprised they are condemning it 5years after,,i just want to know if the one conducted for this year is invalid cause many schools are yet to conduct theirs.,,crap!

Good Question!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by Pharoh: 5:56pm On Oct 24, 2009
kayjegs:

As far as I am concerned, there is nothing wrong in conducting POST UME, the only problem is the exhorbitant fees paid to do Post UME by Universities which should be regulated. Post UME has been able to sieve the good ones out of the bad ones at least to a reasonable extent. Of course, nothing can be so perfect but it is better than the olden days where there was no Post UME.
ASUU now saying something now does not make sense. What have they been looking at all these days,

I agree with your point but what was the purpose for jamb? is it not to sort the good from the bad?
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by IbiamUtom(m): 6:00pm On Oct 24, 2009
they should stop that post ume and poly[color=#006600][/color]
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by Jeffhands(m): 7:27pm On Oct 24, 2009
ASUU is right.post ume illegal.just a way of stealing.assu shud do somethin not just talking,
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by Blogicon1(m): 10:57pm On Oct 24, 2009
Illegal or legal, ASUU right, or wrong, I've had my ass grilled twice by the sick post UME exams, and now I'm forced to school in Ghana. ASUU and the universities can take a nice turn, each, to kiss my grandma's ass!!
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by Dclique(m): 11:07pm On Oct 24, 2009
Its high time we stopped this rubbish that exploits the nigerian students.
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by Nobody: 12:55am On Oct 25, 2009
Dclique:

Its high time we stopped this rubbish that exploits the nigerian students.

i cudnt agree more, Post UME is a crappy waste of time n money
Re: ASUU Declares Post-UME Illegal by toideve(m): 1:00am On Oct 25, 2009
whatever!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ASUU Strike Called Off? / History Turns It’s Another Face To Us Via These Astonishing Photos (pics) / LOL! See 7 Funny Tweets About Nigerian Schools (with Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.