Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,857 members, 7,806,425 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:25 PM

Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career (14832 Views)

Captain Segun Omole Retires After 40 Years Of Flying, Gets Celebrated (Pics) / I Will Write Free Professional Cv/resume For The First 5 People On This Platform / Boost Your Career With I.T Training + Certification (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by prodam(m): 12:41pm On Oct 23, 2016
As usual, no long story, no superfluous foreign alignment, no theoretical validations, this is pure yarns for naija youths.

Well, if you never knew, be aware that the most fantastic and wonderful task that will be ever completed or accomplished by you can only be done in the early part of your career. As you go higher, whether you like it or not, things that matter to you change and part of this is a rapid dwindling of the zeal to create an impression. There is a time limit to when you can put in crazy energy and sacrifices to the rudiments or Nitti gritty of your profession.

As you move higher, you will tend to have seen it all and you have more distraction from family. Not only that, your financial responsibility increases, your ego increases and that enthusiasm you used to have as a graduate trainee declines rapidly. There is nothing to worry about if you are still within this ‘enthusiasm rush’ age, just make sure you do the following:

Read anything readable
Look here, at this point there is nothing like reading within your field or discipline after all you are not yet experienced in any field yet. Don’t waste this energy rush, take up any task takeable, read up anything readable and consume anything consumable. You never know when all this will come handy. This was how random knowledge saved me some days ago at the office.

Don’t reject task
If you look at my CV, I wrote “I have been privileged to work and learn in ………”. This is
because you actually learn in some tasks you take part in. Most relevant and career-uplifting tasks that will be assigned to you during your career journey will be beyond your skillset and will usually require extra time at work, research and seeking help from a colleague (within and outside your workplace). Never say this was not stated in my contract or employee letter, take it up, jack up, and attempt to deliver.

Promote your brand
My guy, no time for waiting on the management to recognize you after this much work. Oga, you need to market yourself. First of all you even need to brand yourself, declare and publicise what you stand for, craft a custom way of handling projects you are a part of. When this is done, you can then consistently be outspoken about your accomplishments. Craft an updated professional profile with tasks completed by you including your inventions and discoveries (Intellectual property) . Brand yourself like Debola Williams.

Learn the politics
Know exactly where to concentrate effort, align yourself properly, never believe only on competence or technical know-how. Identify the caucus and be aware of their interests in order to avoid a conflict. Know who to fight in the public and identify those that do not care about work but loyalty. You have been warned.

There are some things that prepare you for the work force irrespective of your discipline or specialization, I have them on my blog.

Source: http://naijayouthonpoint..com.ng/2016/10/activities-for-first-5-years-of-your.html

25 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by phemygee(m): 11:20pm On Oct 23, 2016
Thanks for that little piece of information. You are right...

2 Likes

Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by brunofarad(m): 6:53am On Oct 28, 2016
Following

1 Like

Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by MizFrances(f): 6:53am On Oct 28, 2016
Yeah, true
Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by Zedoo(m): 6:53am On Oct 28, 2016
N
Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by TheOonlyOne: 6:54am On Oct 28, 2016
Noted...
Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by veekid(m): 6:54am On Oct 28, 2016
Informative
Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by nony43(m): 6:55am On Oct 28, 2016
E
Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by yomalex(m): 6:56am On Oct 28, 2016
Salient

1 Like

Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by zieraw2005(m): 6:56am On Oct 28, 2016
Nice one
Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by dollaflow(m): 6:56am On Oct 28, 2016
hmmm
Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by nmreports: 6:56am On Oct 28, 2016
I feel compelled to also say this.
No matter how your career has turned out.
No matter the mistakes you have made in the past.
No matter how ridiculous your discipline is.
Noatter how "unmarketable" it is.

What I have come to realize is that we can always start again.
Starting again means drawing a new plan.
If you noticed that your passion is media and you studied biology, there are a tons of young entrepreneurs in the field that you can move with and learn from.
Tons of courses you can take.
More importantly, you can even decide to go back to school.

If you won't work with it, it would help when building your own business.

Check www.HRtechniques for interesting things that can aid your career journey.

5 Likes

Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by Histrings08(m): 7:01am On Oct 28, 2016
Hmm
Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by izzy4shizzy(m): 7:19am On Oct 28, 2016
Learning the politics cant be overemphasized, its almost everything

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by ustavo(m): 7:20am On Oct 28, 2016
Nice
Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by InfinixMine: 7:36am On Oct 28, 2016
Politics be like mtn slogan 'Everywhere You Go!!!'

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by dicksonadams(m): 7:37am On Oct 28, 2016
Fucke the politics part
Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by ayusco85(m): 7:58am On Oct 28, 2016
dicksonadams:
Fucke the politics part

Lol. Harsh reality. Politics is everywhere. Imagine the igbos took politics serious after the civil war, they wld ve been a major player in the political manipulations in Nigeria. Maybe they will ve ruled ones or twice
Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by bennymark(m): 7:58am On Oct 28, 2016
Should I believe this advice is ffromm practical experience or Google theories??
Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by Costello559(m): 7:59am On Oct 28, 2016
cool write up... And also add no amebo for work... It puts people in trouble...
Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by datigbogirl: 8:03am On Oct 28, 2016
Na dat office politics na hin dey always land me for trouble no matter how good I am....

3 Likes

Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by eezeribe(m): 8:13am On Oct 28, 2016
OK
Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by TeejayMaya(m): 8:25am On Oct 28, 2016
izzy4shizzy:
Learning the politics cant be overemphasized, its almost everything

True that bro... Especially in this country of ours. Its a major determining factor to ur sudden rise or fall irrespective of ur skills & experience

2 Likes

Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by MrHighSea: 8:52am On Oct 28, 2016
Know what to manipulate and when. Don't ALWAYS be a gentleman or lick foot in the process.

3 Likes

Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by Greatzeus(m): 8:57am On Oct 28, 2016
Also be more enthusiastic about winning BIG than loosing SMALL.
Even though you hate to loose,have higher love to win
Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by Nobody: 10:53am On Oct 28, 2016
The office politics point really matters. Identifying those that really matters, answering yes ma/sir till you get there.

Nice one op

1 Like

Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by clydedaniels(m): 12:28pm On Oct 28, 2016
Politics

I just said politics right....

That's all...

Seen it all.
Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by abouzaid: 1:18pm On Oct 28, 2016
working place politics is one reason this country would always be backward.
Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by Simpolag(m): 1:31pm On Oct 28, 2016
Always be ready to improve and acquire more knowledege
Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by kannyt01(m): 2:28pm On Oct 28, 2016
[Learn the politics
Know exactly where to concentrate effort, align yourself properly, never believe only on competence or technical know-how. Identify the caucus and be aware of their interests in order to avoid a conflict. Know who to fight in the public and identify those that do not care about work but loyalty. You have been warned.

#Correct line there OP

1 Like

Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by DonTim1: 3:42pm On Oct 28, 2016
prodam:

Learn the politics

this major one can catapult u or leave you stagnant. there is politics everywhere!

1 Like

Re: Activities For The First 5 Years Of Your Career by wroskian(m): 4:01pm On Oct 28, 2016
nmreports:
I feel compelled to also say this.
No matter how your career has turned out.
No matter the mistakes you have made in the past.
No matter how ridiculous your discipline is.
Noatter how "unmarketable" it is.

What I have come to realize is that we can always start again.
Starting again means drawing a new plan.
If you noticed that your passion is media and you studied biology, there are a tons of young entrepreneurs in the field that you can move with and learn from.
Tons of courses you can take.
More importantly, you can even decide to go back to school.

If you won't work with it, it would help when building your own business.

Check www.HRtechniques for interesting things that can aid your career journey.
Bros, to do the bolded part of your comment, money is needed. How will one go about the money aspect?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Father Christmas Shares Gifts To LEADERSHIP Newspaper Staff (Video) / SEAFARERS Messroom / Leaving A Toxic Boss/work For Unknown Skill.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.