Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,567 members, 7,809,066 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:10 PM

Almost Perfect#nlwriters - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Almost Perfect#nlwriters (230643 Views)

The Connection Is Now..( For All Nlwriters) / Aja 2 (story Of The Dogs) #nlwriters / Secrets #nlwriters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (70) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by dominique(f): 6:52pm On Oct 30, 2016
Bibijay123 where art thou? undecided sad
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by veekid(m): 7:09pm On Oct 30, 2016
Abeg wetin dey xup for here now? Bibi how far?
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by yorhmienerd(m): 8:20pm On Oct 30, 2016
Report reaching us is that Bibi was last online 10.30pm yesternight. She no dey my place o cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by bibijay123(f): 10:13pm On Oct 30, 2016
dominique:
Bibijay123 where art thou? undecided sad

lol updates by 12 am. been busy, happy Sunday sis.

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by heemah(f): 10:55pm On Oct 30, 2016
Patiently waiting...
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by bibijay123(f): 1:14am On Oct 31, 2016
Dedicated to Aitee1

* Continues*

Uche

I couldn't sleep all through the night, i felt like a little boy on the eve of Christmas. I was excited and at the same time a part of me was sad. Dominique Petroleum was an international company which recruits only the best graduates from prestigious universities. I was browsing the net about two years ago when i came upon their site. As a graduate of Petroleum Engineering i felt i stood a chance so i filled their form online and submitted. A week later i received an email from them and i went for the aptitude test in Port Harcourt. I was hopeful that i would be called back but i didn’t hear from them until now. I didn't tell Mama i was going for an assessment chat in such a prominent organization because i don’t want to get her hopes up for nothing. I woke up at 5.30 am and by 6 .30 or thereabout i was already out of the house. My phone beeped but i ignored it until i was safely in a bus heading for the island before i slipped it out of my pocket.

'Knock their socks off'_ My boo

The message brought a surge of hope to my heart and a smile on my dry lips. I was on the island in no time since it was a Tuesday morning and traffic isn't intense on this day. I brought out my handkerchief and wiped away sweat and dust from my face. I wiped the dust that had collected on the shoe_ the shoe belonged to Chidubem. I walked down the street from the bus stop i alighted to the sky scrapper glass building. I stood in front of the huge gate, day dreaming. I could see myself working there already, I could see my life transforming before my eyes. Traveling all over the world, driving expensive cars, eating good meals and shopping in the most luxurious shops in the world.

"Hey! You there!" A mean looking mopol shouted, walking towards me.

I sighed and adjusted the tight suit i wore. I put on my best smile before walking up to him." Good Morning sir, i am here for an oral assessment”

"Why you come stand here like dummy?" He barked," Na here you go do the test? "

I am sorry sir"
"Come inside!" He shouted.

I walked into the big gate and passed through some security scrutiny before i was let inside the building. The reception area alone was like a scene from western movies, the receptionists were in Italian suits and they actually looked like secret service agents.

"Good morning, how may we help you?" One of the beautiful ladies asked with a bright smile.

"Good morning, i am here for an assessment chat"

" What is your name? "

"Nwafor Uchenna" i replied.

She typed something into her system, looked up briefly and continued typing." Fill your data into this card"she said, giving me a small blue card.

I filled it and handed it back to her.

"Fourth floor" she said, giving me a card key." Slot this card into the second door by your right. Wait there until you are called. "

"Thank you" i said, before walking towards the elevator.

I waited in the cool air conditioned waiting room, there was only a chair in the room and the chair wasn't even comfortable. There was no TV in the room and no one else came into the little room except for me. I thought it a little weird that no other applicant had come to join me but the less the better for me. I was expecting them to call me anytime so i prepared myself mentally but no one came to call me until 4: pm. I was beginning to think that they forgot about me but i decided to wait after all the transport fare i used in getting there was already wasted so there was no harm in waiting all day
" Mr. Nwafor,"

I looked up, an elegantly dressed woman in her fifties or thereabout walked in. I stood up and she shook my hand.
" I am Mrs. Solomon," she said." I am the head of hr, we are sorry for keeping you waiting all day. Unfortunately, your assessment won't be taking place today. We will communicate the time and day to you. "

"Alright Ma' am" i said, giving her a smile. I felt like crying, i felt like removing the uncomfortable suit and wrapping it around her long neck.
"Once again, we apologize for inconveniences caused"

"It is not a problem ma'am"

By the time i got home dusk was already setting and the sun had become the color of orange. I was famished and tired. Chinasa and Chinonye were eating when I entered the house, Mama was shelling melon. I greeted her but she only murmured a reply because I did not inform her before leaving the house. I showered and came back to the sitting room for my dinner; dinner was cold Eba with watery oha soup. A knock sounded on the door, Mama asked the person to come in. Ngozi, a young married lady who was our neighbor came in.

"Good evening Mama Uche," she said." Bro Uche, good evening"

"Good evening," I replied.

"Ngo, evening o" Mama said," hope Ejima is kicking"

The young lady smiled and her hand unconsciously touched her baby bump." I don't want twins o"

"What is wrong in having twins?" Nonye asked, licking her fingers.

"Shut up, " Mama cautioned." You talk too much"

"Mama Uche, my husband traveled today and I don't want to be alone. Please can Ejima keep me company tonight?"
" Chinasa should go with you. The two of them will only frustrate you so it is better only one of them goes with you."
"Awwn, mama please nah." Chinonye begged. "I promise not to disturb her. I won't ask too many questions either"

" Nonye, don't provoke me ooo" Mama said, "Chinasa haven't you finished eating?"

"I have Mama," she replied excitedly, washing her hands off with water. She gave her twin the tongue out before walking to Ngozi.

"Thank you ma, Nonye next time you will be the one to keep me company" Ngozi said.

They both went out of the room. I left some portion of my food and meat to Nonye to make up for her being left behind. I went back into my room and dialed Dupe's number but it wasn't available. I didn't know when i drifted off to sleep. A loud banging noise woke me up, i thought i was dreaming but the banging sound persisted. I check the time on my phone and it was 2: 30 am. I got out of bed and gingerly walked into the sitting room, i almost jumped out of my skin when i heard the creaking of a door. Mama and Nonye came out of their rooms looking as scared like a rabbit.

" Uche, I think they are robbers" Mama whispered." What should we do?"

"Open this door! Open the f*ucking door! If you make me count up to ten, I will break the door down and shoot each one of you!" A coarse male voice shouted, " We are more than five here and we are all fully armed so don't even try to play smart with us."One! "

Mama and Nonye started whimpering. I was indecisive on what to do, the men continued banging on the door so I opened it and they landed a slap on my face. Mama and Nonye were already laying face down on the ground. They were six in numbers and they were all masked and aimed to the teeth.

"So na you be dube2 brother abi?" One asked, “answer me!"

"I don't know...anybody by that name” I choked out
“We are not in a hurry to leave; we shall remind you who bear that name” the man with the hoarse voice who seemed to be the leader of the gang walked toward me and landed me another slap.

Mama and Nonye screamed out in fear but they were shushed by the gang.

“Woman, sit up” coarse voice commanded.

Mama sat up, shivering and whimpering in fear.

“your son! Dubem hurt me! He played on my intelligence and we are here for revenge”

“ Du….Dubem is not here o” Mama cried out, “ Please don’t hurt us,”

“Your son! That small rat! That small boy I took under my wings! I showed him how to make legal money! I taught him hacking for free!” he said, hitting his chest. “Did I do wrong?”

“Boss, shey make we finish them?’’ one asked.

“Relax, Bullet,” the boss said, “ woman, your son stole my money”

Mama started crying and pleading with him. Nonye was also crying heavily at this point.

“Shut up! “he commanded. “Your son picked up my transaction behind me! He picked up my money from the bank! Do you know how long it took me and what I did before my client sent me that money? Your stupid son picked up my money and I am here for revenge. All of you sit up!”
We all sat up and huddled together. The boss man gave his gun to one of his boys, he walked towards us and pulled Nonye by the hair. He threw her on the floor and tore her nightie in two, exposing her young body. I seethed in anger when I realized his intention.
“Please, please don’t “ I begged, one of them hit me on the head with the butt of the gun and I cried out in pain.
The boss man pushed my baby sister’s legs apart and shucked his trouser. Mama got on her knees pleading with him, he gave the young girl a slap to shut her up.

“I heard the girls are two, where is the second one?” he asked, “Bullet search the house and bring her out for me”

“It is only one daughter I have, biko my sons. Please for the love of God, please don’t do this.”

Bullet ran into all three rooms and came out. “Nobody else boss” he said.

The gang leader pulled Nonye’s legs further apart while she struggled with him; he gave her several back hand slaps. I tried to get up but Mama laid a hand on my arm. Her night blouse was drenched with her tears. Nonye screamed in pain as the evil man drove into her. He kept thrusting in and out of her ferociously while he laughed and his boys cheered him on. He rained curses on Dubem while he continued raping our sister and as he was about to cum, he wrapped his left hand around her neck, choking her. I closed my eyes unable to bear the pain, he got up and wore his trouser.

“Tell Dubem that I know he is in Malaysia. My boys are already there hunting for him but we have only come here to leave a message for him. This is just the tip of the ice berg. Come on guys!”They kicked open the door and walked out.

“Nonye” I called softly, lifting her into my arms. I pulled off the wrapper around Mama’s neck and wrapped it around Nonye’s bloodied form. Mama sat dazed, not blinking and looking into space. “Nonye, can you hear me?”

She moaned and coughed. I carried her on my back and waited for some long seconds to put some distance between the gang and us before running out of the house with her. She was bleeding profusely and her pulse was faint. Her breathing was also labored. I felt her blood bathing my back as I ran with her into the night.
“Nonye, hold on. We will get to the hospital soon.” I said. “ Sorry, you will be alright”

“Mama” she called in a faint voice.

“Hold on, please” I continued running with her and I could see the hospital from afar. “Nonye we are almost there, Nonye” I got no response from her. I could no longer feel her shallow breath on my back but the blood continued flowing. I shifted her from my back into my arms, I placed my ear against her chest but her heart had gone still.

Tbc

20 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by dominique(f): 1:35am On Oct 31, 2016
Chai! Na wah o sad

Uche's mum should have jejely allowed both girls go with the customer. RIP Nonye sad

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by Barbienice(f): 4:45am On Oct 31, 2016
Dubem is the black sheep of the family.that boy wants to send mama to early grave with sorrow.Rip Nonye

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by Crusherdaniels(m): 6:11am On Oct 31, 2016
now you see how bibi use to do that I don't like ... bibi how can you make nonye to die ... now who will ask much questions for us ... nna ehhh ... it is well ... RIP nonye
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by crazygod(m): 6:56am On Oct 31, 2016
Bibi no naaaaaaaa......... Thank God u didn't dedicate this update to me....... cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

3 Likes

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by veekid(m): 7:12am On Oct 31, 2016
Pathetically sad ......... Buh I don't believe Nonye is gone

Nice one ma'am
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by Nobody: 7:28am On Oct 31, 2016
OMG embarassed embarassed

Wow.. Rip Nonye cry
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by Nobody: 8:45am On Oct 31, 2016
what a cruel way to die
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by bibijay123(f): 8:56am On Oct 31, 2016
crazygod:
Bibi no naaaaaaaa......... Thank God u didn't dedicate this update to me....... cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

what i do? good morning dear

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by spixytinxy(f): 9:10am On Oct 31, 2016
So so painful, dia mum shld av allow d twins to go wit Ngozi, chai it is too early to cry.
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by Barristertemmie(f): 9:34am On Oct 31, 2016
The story title is a bit misleading ,though I've seen this story for about a week now without bothering to read it. I felt it was a thread about giving nairaland writers tips on how to write properly not until when I just felt like seeing whatever the thread is about ,it was then that i realised that it's actually a story. Anyways nice story ma'am,keep up the good work.

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by bibijay123(f): 9:38am On Oct 31, 2016
Barristertemmie:
The story title is a bit misleading ,though I've seen this story for about a week now without bothering to read it. I felt it was a thread about giving nairaland writers tips on how to write properly not until when I just felt like seeing whatever the thread is about ,it was then that i realised that it's actually a story. Anyways nice story ma'am,keep up the good work.

Thank you. the hash tag indicates that the story is meant for Nl writers competition.

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by Lleigh(f): 9:42am On Oct 31, 2016
Well done bibijay hope you had a nice weekend. smiley

Nonye might still be alive we don't know. ..

Nice work bibijay. ....#nlwriters

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by shigo20(m): 9:45am On Oct 31, 2016
Bibi why nah?
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by adetomdx(m): 10:00am On Oct 31, 2016
Barristertemmie:
you just spoke my mind
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by Barristertemmie(f): 10:21am On Oct 31, 2016
bibijay123:

Thank you. the hash tag indicates that the story is meant for Nl writers competition.
Now I understand
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by toboski1(m): 11:14am On Oct 31, 2016
here we go again ooooo Bibi must I always comment RIP? can't you just say they abducted her? I hope its faint Nonye faint oooo if not ehhhhh
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by olanshile2016(m): 12:03pm On Oct 31, 2016
Dubem must die,Mr hacker and his gang must also die angry
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by bibijay123(f): 12:29pm On Oct 31, 2016
toboski1:
here we go again ooooo Bibi must I always comment RIP? can't you just say they abducted her? I hope its faint Nonye faint oooo if not ehhhhh

lol no vex oo

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by Tife101(m): 12:34pm On Oct 31, 2016
Madam Bibijay, I hail ooo!!! I just stumbled on this thread. You are really good ma'am. I've read your other stories and I must say you're one of the best!!..

Back to the tori...

Why did you kill Nonye na?!!

I even thought Dominique international wanna test Uche's patience. That kain tin dey pain oooo...

God please, give me a girl like Dupe ooo.

Weldone ma'am.

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by bibijay123(f): 3:10pm On Oct 31, 2016
veekid:
Pathetically sad ......... Buh I don't believe Nonye is gone

Nice one ma'am

Thank you dear

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by Pranaya(f): 3:17pm On Oct 31, 2016
Hello.
I'm a secret follower. Nice piece you've got here but please and please don't let Nonye die. I feel her death would affect Dupe by changing Uche feelings, character and all. And Chidubem, only God can forgive him.
#TeamDupe.
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by Horlorlardaey: 3:17pm On Oct 31, 2016
no no no noooooooooooo someone should tell me that nonye did not die... someone should tell me that she only fainted.....
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by Horlorlardaey: 3:19pm On Oct 31, 2016
aunty bibijay if you no want wahala juss wake nonye. and sheybi I said it DAT Dominique will not employ uche. mama uche may haff high bp sumtin is telling me chidubem will avenge if nonye die
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by Topscoque(f): 5:30pm On Oct 31, 2016
I thnk dat Company is testing Uche's patients. Dats phase 1 of the interview..... Plz dont allow nonye die cos it may affect Uche's relatnshp, Let her live to tel d story.... #thumbupdear#
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by bibijay123(f): 6:06pm On Oct 31, 2016
Chapter Six

Mabel

" Mama, i want to be a teacher when i grow up" Serwa suddenly announced during dinner. Her grand mother laughed and gave her a peck.

" You wanted to be a lawyer before, like your gramps. Why the change of heart?" Tade asked, cutting into a drum stick with his cutlery.

" Teaching is a humble profession" i said

" I want to be a teacher because of my aunt in grandma' s church" Serwa said." She is so intelligent and she knows so many stories. She knows all the stories in the bible!"

" Oh we are back to that, " Abosede said, laughing." Funmi is such a lovely girl and she's good with the children."

" I have to meet this world famous Funmi my daughter is crushing on," I said," Serwa hardly ever gets close to anyone not family. We had to change her nannies thrice before we finally decided not to take on anyone again."

" I am also surprised Serwa likes this Funmi person" her father said.

" Like i told you, Funmi is a graduate and she has a flair for teaching. children takes a shine to her" Abosede said.

Serwa had followed her grandma to church on three different occasions since our arrival and she had taken to the teacher in the children department. She even begged me to let her style her hair afro but i wouldn't have any of it. I was curious to meet the young lady in question, i wondered what my daughter had seen in her to be so magnetically drawn to her.

" I want to meet her," i said.

" Yeah!!" Serwa exclaimed, wiggling in her chair. " Mama, is Miss Funmi coming to dinner?"

" I could invite her to dinner." Abosede said," She's such a good girl, she and Dupe"

" Who is Dupe?" Tade asked.

" She's Funmi's friend and she's also my pastor's daughter."

" What does Funmi look like?" I asked, i wanted to know if she was beautiful.

" She's not bad but she's a very churchy kind of girl" Abosede replied, sipping her red wine." Picture a chubby dark skinned girl with dimples in a big bulbous skirt with a loose blouse, no ear ring, no make up and a head full of afro."

" Matches the description of Tyler Perry's Madea," Tade joked.

Funmi

I knocked on the big white gate, Papa love opened it and welcomed me warmly with a smile. Papa love was one of those people whose past and origin was untraceable. He had no family, living or dead known to anyone of us. Nobody knew how he came to be a member of God's love gospel church, one day he was just there and everyone got used to the man with shaggy beards and blood shot eyes. In time, he became a part of our christian family.

" Hello, you must be Funmi" a tall, dark skinned man with a deep baritone voice said. He had on shorts and a polo. " Come in" he held the door open for me.

" Good evening sir,"

" I am Tade, " he stretched out his hand for a handshake

" Funmi"

We both walked into the elegant sitting room, decorated with a theme of butter color and white. The room spoke of wealth and rich taste. Serwa, a little ebony skinned child ran down the stairs and wrapped her little arms around my waist. A beautiful lady with a long weave on cascading down her back walked into the room. She had on a bum short and a crop top, revealing her ringed navel. She was also spotting a dark tattoo just below her abdomen.

" Funmi, at last we meet " she said with laughter, her Ghanian intonation made my name sound as ' fu_me'." I have heard so much about you, you are a genius and you know all the biblical stories by heart"

I laughed. " Serwa has been blowing my trumpet"

" Forgive my manners, I am Mabel and this is my husband Tade" She said, " please sit down"

" We have met," he replied her

I sat down on the soft creamy colored sofa. The man excused himself and the little girl settled herself on my thighs.

" Serwa, don't be a bother " her mother said.

" No, she's not" i replied

" What can i offer you? Wine? Juice?"

" Juice please," I said." Is Mrs. Afolabi not at home?"

" Mother_in law is still struggling with her eye brows upstairs " She stood up, " excuse me for a moment please" She returned few seconds later with a tray laden with fruit juice, a glass of water and cookies. She placed it on the table in the room." Serwa, run upstairs and play with your princesses "

" OK Mama, " the child said and left the room.

" Mother_ in law told me you are a graduate and you have a flair for teaching"

" Yes, i am a graduate of English and Literary studies. I love teaching, children are so much fun to teach"

" Huh? really?" She laughed, " I can't believe that. Children are....."

" Funmi!" Abosede said, walking into the room. She wore a long flowing gown known as bubu, her hair was neatly tied in a ponytail and her face was heavily made up. " You are welcome,"

" Thank you ma,"

" Mother_ in law, She was just telling me that children are fun to teach!"

The older woman laughed, " I told you! She's just something else. Have you met my son?"

" Yes i have."

" Where do you work?" the Ghanian lady asked.

" I am still seeking for employment" i replied

" A smart and hard working lady such as yourself shouldn't be seeking for jobs! jobs should be seeking for you" She said.

" My dear, that is the problem our graduates are going through here o" Abosede said, " over here it is not about how brilliant you are but who you know. It all has to do with connections"

" That's preposterous, such a practice has to be curbed"

I couldn't help laughing." Corruption has really taken a deep root in this country."

" If i offer you a job will you accept it? " she asked, stunning me." You seem so gentle and nice. Besides my mother_ in law and daughter also vouched for you. Will you come to Ghana as my daughter's tutor?"

" Yes," i heard myself reply as i wiped my suddenly clammy hands on my skirt.

Tbc

16 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by veekid(m): 6:08pm On Oct 31, 2016
FTR

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (70) (Reply)

The Thomas....(a Family) / Short, Witty Quotes! / Memoirs Of A Yoruba Demon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.