Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,146 members, 7,807,472 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:55 PM

Heartstrings - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Heartstrings (47378 Views)

Heartstrings / Heartstrings - Episode 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Heartstrings by SheWrites(f): 12:16pm On Oct 31, 2016
@all... Updates will resume at lunch time today. Am on my way to the cafe. Fasten your seat belts *winks*
Re: Heartstrings by temmiesexy(f): 12:16pm On Oct 31, 2016
nice one, pls update
Re: Heartstrings by NeduLuiZ(m): 12:21pm On Oct 31, 2016
Present!!!
Re: Heartstrings by clearboos(m): 12:59pm On Oct 31, 2016
waiting
Re: Heartstrings by SPDAZZY(f): 1:22pm On Oct 31, 2016
Présent. God bless the Philips
Re: Heartstrings by SheWrites(f): 1:49pm On Oct 31, 2016
HEARTSTRINGS

CHAPTER EIGHT

He closed from work and decided to check on the Philips before heading home that evening. Their apartment was in a three storey building, five houses away from where his clinic was located. He said goodbye to the receptionist on his way out and walked briskly to the spot he parked his car. He got in, drove out of the large compound and down the busy street. He maneuvered the car into a space he found outside the brown painted three storey building. He killed the engine and stepped down from the vehicle. He locked it and strode into the building. The Philips’ flat was on the ground floor. He greeted the security guard and walked towards one of flat at the back of the building. He pressed the door bell and waited. He looked around him and noticed the semi-clean surrounding.

“Doctor!” Tofunmi opened the door and saw him standing two feet away.

“Good evening,” he smiled back at her.

“Evening, please come in,” she stepped back into the house.

“I thought I should check up on you all…”

“Oh… thank you.”

He followed her into the sitting room and found Tomisin and his daughter at the dining.

“Good evening sir,” Bassey bowed his head.

“Evening doctor,” Tomisin rose.

“Please sit down sir.”

He smiled and sat down, “Why don’t you join us?”

“Thank you,” Bassey pulled out one of the empty chairs at the dining and sat down opposite Misi.

“Evening…” her eyes remained on her meal.

“Evening,” he lifted his eyes and searched her face.

Tofunmi rushed into the kitchen and returned with a plate of pounded yam and a bowl of egusi soup with grilled fresh fish. She placed the meal before him and took a seat beside her husband.

“Misi got a job as an accountant at your sister’s place of work today.”

He looked from mother to daughter, “That is wonderful,” he felt like a burden had been lifted off his shoulders.

“She is starting tomorrow.”

He glanced at the proud father, “This is good news.”

“God has used you and your family to help us in ways we can hardly imagine. We are grateful,” Tofunmi smiled with gratitude.

“We thank God ma,” he smiled back at the elderly woman and started to eat.

Tomisin held his wife’s hand, “We got a call from your dad this evening.”

Bassey raised his head and stared at the couple.

“They want us to work as Supervisors in their Calabar food restaurant here in Ikeja,” Tomisin’s eyes began wet with tears.

Bassey closed his eyes and sighed. He had spoken to his parents about the Philips unemployment. He opened his eyes and grinned.

“We are also starting tomorrow,” Tofunmi’s excitement radiated on her face.

“God has wiped away our tears and replaced our shame with honour,” her husband chimed in.

The couple exchanged glances. Their dark eyes shone with happy tears.

He was very happy for them. He turned to look at their daughter. Her brown hair was packed in a bun on top of her head. A red hair-band
held it together at the center. She looked pretty with little or no make-up on her face. She had a natural beauty. Many girls lacked that. Her singing and dancing image flashed through his mind. His brows creased in a frown. He hoped her image would stop tormenting his dreams now that she doesn’t live with him anymore. He concentrated on his food and ate it all. He washed his hands in the bowl of water beside his plate and wiped his hands with the napkin on the table.

“Thank you ma, it was delicious.”

The couple laughed lightly and stared at their daughter. He followed their gaze. She raised her head and realized that they were all staring at her.

“Did Misi cook the food?” he searched their happy faces.

“Yes,” her parents chorused.

“Wow…” he got up, “I am impressed.”

Misi dropped her head and tried to stop herself from smiling.

“I have to head home now, please call me as often as you need to.”

“Thank you doctor,” they chorused.

Her father signal to her. She washed her hands and shifted her chair backwards.

She got to her feet, “Let me see you off.”

They both walked towards the door.

“Take care of your parents,” he glanced at her.

“I will,” She opened the front door.

He stepped out and then turned to look at her. Bright honey coloured eyes drilled into brown ones that became tensed due to the intensity of his gaze.

Her heart beat accelerated and the heat of their proximity made her to feel light headed. Out of the blue, something deep within propelled her to close the gap between them.

As if he was been controlled by the same feeling, he brushed a hand over her smooth chocolate brown oval face. She shuddered at his touch and parted her lips. His gaze dropped to her small cute wet mouth. He swallowed hard and tried to still his raging emotions. She wrapped her arms around him and sealed his lips with a kiss. Shock waves flew in every direction in his system. A deep longing within him took over. He kissed her back, lost in the euphoria of the moment. She trembled in his arms and melted into him. His hands slid down her back and caressed her buttocks. She moaned and tightened her grip on him. They moved back into the house and he shut the door with his leg.
She felt his hardness and paused. What were they doing? There was absolutely nothing between them. She shouldn’t have kissed him. Why did she allow her emotions to override her reasoning? She wanted to pull away, but, her hands were limp with desire.

God…

Bassey held unto her firmly and led her into one of the bedrooms down the hall way. He couldn’t stop the kisses. The desire building within him
felt like a volcano about to erupt. All he could think about at that moment was to consume every inch of her.

His weight crushed her on the soft, firm, mattress. It registered on her mind that they were in one of the rooms, hers or her parents’? She couldn’t tell. What if they found them locked in each other’s arms? What would they think? She panicked and tore her lips away. She searched his face and the realization that he wanted her too came as a surprise. Was it possible that he had feelings for her too?

“What are we doing?” she whispered.

His eyelids flickered and his senses returned. What was he doing? What had he done? He released her and sat up quickly.

She lifted herself and sat beside him, “I am sorry,” she observed his firm face.

“No, I am sorry,” he returned her gaze, “I like you… I like you a lot.”

She batted her eyes. His confession shocked and excited her all at once.

“I… I have been thinking about you more than I should,” he looked away, “You have completely taken over my dreams, but, right now… I can’t
do anything about how I feel about you,” he got up and straightened his creased blue long sleeved shirt.

She raised her head and searched his face. If he really liked her, why wasn’t he ready to pursue something futuristic with her?

“It’s being a crazy period for me. I need time… I need time to get my priorities straight,” he stared back at her.

She dropped her head. A pained expression took over her face. If he had asked her out that night, her response would have been positive. What was holding him back? Was there another woman in his life? Maybe he didn’t like her enough to date her. She felt a lump in her throat. Why did she kiss him? She felt so stupid.

“I am sorry, I have to go,” he caught a glimpse of her, turned around and walked out.

She exhaled and wrapped her arms around her body. She placed her head on her laps and closed her eyes.

God … I am falling in love with someone who isn’t ready for a commitment.

Tears rolled down her face.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Heartstrings by SheWrites(f): 1:51pm On Oct 31, 2016
HEARTSTRINGS

CHAPTER NINE

It was three in the morning. He had not been able to sleep a wink. His thoughts were consumed with his intimate encounter with Misi. If he had not regained his senses, he would have slept with her and regretted it afterwards. He found pleasure in the fact that she was also attracted to him. He turned on his side. Was his heart ready to commit to another woman? He doesn’t know her well enough to trust her. He wasn’t looking forward to getting hurt again. If he took things slow and court her friendship, in time, he might be ready for a serious solid futuristic commitment. What if she couldn’t wait? The thought of seeing her with someone else made his blood boil. He lay on his tummy.

Oh God… I really, really like this girl.

He remembered the day he saw her singing and dancing in the kitchen. He raised the corners of his mouth in a smile. The house had seemed kind of quiet since the Phillips moved out. He missed the noise and coming home to an empty house had turned into a daily unpleasant experience. It was high time he settled down.

xxxxxx

She opened the door and walked into the large office space. She sighted Eno seated in her cubicle and sighed with relief. She had been trying to see her all day, but, she had been tied up with one assignment or the other. She approached her desk and took the empty seat opposite her.

“Hey! Hi, hi,” Eno smiled at her.

“You have been scarce,” she eyed her.

Eno rested against her chair and sighed, “My madam has been on my neck.”

Misi crossed her legs and looked around her, “You are lucky.”

Eno rolled her eyes.

“Seriously, I work in an office with a bunch of guys who wear spectacles… at least, you have a better crowd.”

Eno let out a throaty laugh. She had been to the Accounts office a number of times. There were several unattractive bald guys who had their heads in their books and didn’t talk much.

“I thought there were three ladies in that office,” she grinned.

“Two of them to be precise,” Misi pouted.

“Plus you, that’s three.”

Misi folded her arms across her bosom and feigned sadness, “We need more women in that office.”

Eno reached out and patted her on the shoulder, “You will get used to it.”

Misi pressed her lips together and motioned at the pack of Pringles on the desk. Eno picked it up and passed it to her.

“Thanks,” she opened it and threw a few slices into her mouth, “Is your elder brother unavailable?”

Eno raised an eyebrow, “Which one of them?”

“The doctor,” she looked at her steadily.

Hazel eyes seized up curious brown ones, “Who wants to know?”

“Moi…”

Eno’s interest increased, “Why do you want to know?”

“He is sort of indecisive,” her brown eyes darted away.

Eno drew her chair closer to the desk and focused her attention on her, “What do you mean?”

She sighed and closed the pack of Pringles, “He… he said it’s being a crazy period for him.”

Her eyes widened in surprise. Her brother rarely talked about his personal issues with people he hardly knew. Why did he open up to Misi?

“What does he mean?” she searched her face.

Eno looked away. She wouldn’t wish for a repeat of what her brother went through when the wedding was called off.

“I don’t quite get him,” she stressed.

“Why don’t you ask him?” Eno folded her arms against her chest.

Misi directed her gaze at the poster on the wall. She wasn’t ready to face him yet. The last time they met, things had gotten kind of heated.

Eno noticed the conflict in her brown eyes. Did something happen between them? “Do you like him?”

Misi turned her head her and met her eager gaze. She opened her mouth but no words came out. She closed it and turned away. Liking the doctor was an understatement. She was falling in love with him.

“You do like him, don’t you? I can see it in your eyes,” her hazel eyes brightened.

Misi didn’t respond. She shifted on the seat and cleared her throat.

“What exactly did he tell you?” Eno watched her. She could tell that something had transpired between her brother and her new friend.

Misi scratched a spot on her head, “He… we… I…” she bit at her lower lip. How does she explain the confusion she was immersed in?

“You can talk to me,” she tried to encourage her.

Misi bowed her head, clasped her hands and cleared her throat again, “I have been attracted to your brother since the day he rescued us from the angry crowd on his street.”

Eno listened attentively and observed her.

“My feelings grew each passing day. Initially, I thought it was because he helped us… but, later, I discovered that it was much stronger than
that,” she raised her head. She felt encouraged by the empathy in Eno’s eyes, “I know he likes me too, but, he… he is like… sort of restrained,
I don’t know.”

She nodded. Her brother had been hurt by his best friend and his ex. It would be hard to trust another with his heart.

“Some days ago, he visited us. The craziest thing happened,” Misi averted her eyes.

She narrowed her gaze, “What happened?”

Misi covered her face with a hand, “I kissed him.”

“Lord God Almighty!” Her eyes grew big in wonder.

Misi peeped through her hand, “He kissed me back and... and...”

“Aaaaaaah!” her scream attracted attention.

Misi looked around them. She became aware that some of her new friend’s colleagues were looking in their direction.

“Sorry…” Eno whispered.

Misi folded her arms across her chest and sighed.

“Jesus, Jesus, Jesus,” Eno fanned her face with a hand.

“We… I… the next thing I knew, we were in the bedroom,” she felt the need to tell her everything that had been eating her up for the past few days.

Eno covered her mouth with a hand and stifled the shriek that erupted from within her.

“We came back to our senses before… you know,” she looked away.

“My God… that is some chemistry,” she whistled.

Misi returned her gaze to her excited face.

“Bassey must really like you. As far back as I can remember, he is very principled. He doesn’t touch anyone he isn’t committed to. He doesn’t
sleep with anyone he isn’t prepared to marry, though, he doesn’t believe in sex before marriage. You, you are not even dating him and… and he is all over you,” she gave a shake of head in amazement.

“I have the same ideology.”

“Good for you,” Eno watched her.

“I don’t make out with every Dick and Harry I meet either.”

She chuckled, “He must really, really like you to have thrown caution into the wind and… and ate you all up.”

“He said he isn’t ready. Why?” a pained look took over her face.

“Hmmm…” she darted her eyes left, then right, “Why don’t you ask him?”

She sighed and scratched a spot on her brow, “I don’t know if I can face him…face the truth.”

Eno shrugged, “But, it is better you know what you are up against.”

She covered her face with both hands, “I don’t know.”

“What are you afraid of?”

She peeped through her hands and sighed heavily.

“I trust my brother. He knows how to exercise his self-control, even at the last second. “

Misi wrapped her hands around her body. She wasn’t convinced. The man that kissed her back the other night was far from exercising
self-control. It didn’t bother her, what she was concerned about was that, she might not be able to stop him the next time he touched her.

Eno smiled to herself. She was happy that her brother was falling for someone else. They had been afraid that he might not think of getting marriage in another five years. God had answered their prayers by bringing the Philips into their lives. Misi had broken the spell of depression upon his life. It was only a matter of time. He would be ready to settle down sooner than they had thought.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Heartstrings by SheWrites(f): 1:54pm On Oct 31, 2016
HEARTSTRINGS

CHAPTER TEN

His thoughts travelled while he washed the dishes in the sink. He liked weekends. It gave him enough time to recuperate after a tiring week. His nights had worsened after his intimate encounter with Misi. She tormented his dreams and while he was awake, she clouded his thoughts. It had been a while since the thought of a woman had harassed his mind. He heard the door bell ringing. He wiped his wet hands with a napkin, turned around and walked out of the kitchen. He hoped the person at the door wasn’t his neighbour’s daughter. She had kept him at arm’s length for the past few weeks. Many other men would have taken advantage of her, shattered her heart and rendered her body useless. Far be it from him to be reduced to such level. The bell kept ringing. He marched towards the front door, wondering who it was. He peeped through the hole in the door and gasped when he saw her. What was she doing at his place? He rested his head on the door and debated whether to ignore her or allow her in. He gritted his teeth and turned the key. He placed his hand on the door-knob and opened it slightly. His honey coloured eyes travelled over her slim curvy frame wrapped in a sky blue long fish tail dress. She looked like a princess with her brown shoulder length hair swept backwards. He felt like touching it. He lifted his eyes and met her intensed gaze.

“What are you doing here?” he sounded harsh.

The instant she saw him, her throat went dry and her desire for him magnified. She shouldn’t have come. Should she just turn around and return home or take the bulls by the horn and resolve the turmoil on her mind?

“What do you want?” he repeated. His heart throbbed at the sight of her.

She swallowed hard.

God give me strength.

He could sense the battle she fought within. Her eyes said it all. It was similar to the war that rage within him. She shouldn’t have come. She had just complicated things. He backed into the flat and tried to close the door.

Her eyes widened in surprise, “Wait!” she held the door-knob.

“Go home,” his stern tone wasn’t lost to her.

“Hold on,” she pleaded. She really wanted them to sit and iron things out.

“Why?” he eyed her.

“We… we need to talk.”

He shook his head, “I have got nothing to say to you,” he pushed the door, but, she held unto it.

“Bassey… please.”

“I am not ready for this… this thing between us...” he gave a shake of head.

His words cut through her heart. She felt pained.

“If I allow you in, I will sleep with you,” he said plainly, his words were devoid of emption.

She let go of the knob and stepped back. She just wanted to talk. She didn’t want to get sexually intimate with him.

“I will regret it, ask God for forgiveness, repent and it will significantly complicate things between us.”

She nodded with understanding and blinked back the tears that burned her eyes.

“A man can give you his body, but, not his heart.”

She searched his expressionless face. Why was he saying does things to her?

“I can sleep with you right now, but, it doesn’t mean that I love you, sex is not love. They are two different things. You ladies mix them up a
lot.”

She turned away. The tears came. It pooled over her face, “I just… came… to talk,” her voice cracked.

He snorted, “That talk won’t happen. Our bodies are already on fire. If we start to talk in here and right now, our conversation will end in the
bedroom.”

She started to walk away.

“Misi…”

She ran down the stairway.

“Misi!” he hurried after her, clad in his boxers. He caught up with her and held her hand.

“Let me go,” she sobbed.

His chest tightened at the sight of her sad wet face.

“Let me go!” she snapped and yanked her hand back. She turned to leave, but he pulled her close and embraced her.

“I am sorry.”

“Leave me[i] jo[/i]…” she started to cry.

“I am so sorry,” he held her tightly. Her softness melted into him, drugging his mind.

She kept on crying. He felt bad because he knew his words had wounded her. He had no choice; he needed to tell her the truth. He pulled away and led her up the stairs and into his apartment. They sat on a two settee and silence hovered over them. She brought out a handkerchief from her purse and dabbed her face with it.

“I dated a girl two years ago. We were supposed to get married, but, she called off the wedding.”

She glanced at him. His hands were clasped together and he stared at nothing in particular.

“My family and I visited her parents, but she refused to see us and we were chased out of their home.”

She rested against the chair and listened to him. She was happy that he was opening up to her.

“I found out that my childhood friend, my so called best friend had lied to her about me. She believed him. She didn’t even deem it fit to
confront me. They are now married and living happily ever after.”

She wanted to pat his back and console him, but thought against it.

“I have gotten over her. The wounds have healed, but, the scars have not completely faded away.”

She nodded with understanding.

“I don’t want to hurt you,” he glanced at her, “I don’t want to waste your time…” he took her by the hand, “I like you, I really do, but before
I can pursue a relationship with you, I need to sort myself out.”

She sighed with relief. All hope wasn’t lost. It would have been worse if he had rejected her completely.

“I am not going to ask you to wait for me,” he searched her eyes, “But, if you are sure that you want to get committed to me in the nearest future, please, be patient.”

She exhaled and smiled.

“If you can’t wait, you can as well accept any proposal that comes your way,” he felt distressed saying those words.

She looked into his eyes. Her heart yearned for him, her body craved for him; she was head over heels in love with him. She doubted if she would be able to date anyone else. She would wait for as long as it was necessary.

He stared back at her. He could see the answer in her eyes. Her feelings were out in the open. She had fallen for him. He sighed with relief and drew her close. He claimed her lips and trembled when she responded. She ran her hands through his short curly brown her and moaned at his touch.

“Bassey…” she came to her senses and pulled away, creating space between them.

He exhaled loudly and got to his feet.

“I think I should go home,” she got up too and avoided looking at him.

He came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her slim frame.

Her heart missed a beat, “What are you doing?”

He kissed the nape of her neck and ran his tongue along the smooth side.

“Please don’t,” her nerves were set on fire by his caress.

“You came to the lion’s den; don’t you know that you might get eaten?”

“Stop…” she shook him off and hurried to the door, “Good night,” she glanced back at him and hurried out, closing the door behind her.

He ran a hand through his hair and fanned his face with the other. A satisfied grin was pasted on his face.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Heartstrings by sirblero(m): 3:13pm On Oct 31, 2016
This Is One Thng I Love About You @shewrites...You're Always Consistent!...Even You Don't..It's Must Be For A Reason... When You're Eventually Back, You're Cming Back With A BLAST!!!

Nice Story Dr... Keep The Fire Burning...
Still Glued.
Re: Heartstrings by SheWrites(f): 3:23pm On Oct 31, 2016
@sirblero... My guy. Thanks. Really, really appreciate you.
Re: Heartstrings by aprilwise(m): 3:38pm On Oct 31, 2016
Nice story nd an interesting story line. Thanks
Re: Heartstrings by SheWrites(f): 3:47pm On Oct 31, 2016
@aprilwise... Thanks.
Re: Heartstrings by viktohmarkz(m): 3:48pm On Oct 31, 2016
and she's killing it back 2 back.. nice one SheWrites
Re: Heartstrings by OLAFIMIX(f): 4:07pm On Oct 31, 2016
Op clap for yourself. Given us more than enough
Re: Heartstrings by Nmaglit: 5:20pm On Oct 31, 2016
I love this story bibi Daalu [well done]
Re: Heartstrings by dexzzy(f): 5:40pm On Oct 31, 2016
op I am enjoying dis story oya clap 4 ursef
Re: Heartstrings by Hal86: 6:02pm On Oct 31, 2016
Waiting oooohhhh
Re: Heartstrings by Hardybattee45: 6:56pm On Oct 31, 2016
I am in love with your story..... Thumbs up
Re: Heartstrings by Elbizzcklinz(m): 7:16pm On Oct 31, 2016
Wow, the very first piece of literature i found interesting to follow. @op, pls keep the fire burning, am in need of reading more.
Re: Heartstrings by SheWrites(f): 7:27pm On Oct 31, 2016
@Elbizzcklinz... Glad you are following *winks*
@Hardybattee45... Thanks
@dexzzy... Kpa-kpa, kpa-kpa-kpa, kpa!
Re: Heartstrings by SheWrites(f): 7:27pm On Oct 31, 2016
@Hardybattee45... Thanks
Re: Heartstrings by SheWrites(f): 7:28pm On Oct 31, 2016
@Hardybattee45... Thanks
Re: Heartstrings by SheWrites(f): 7:34pm On Oct 31, 2016
@Nmaglit... *winks*
@viktohmarkz... I had to make up for the long suspense.
@OLAFIMIX... *winks*
Re: Heartstrings by clearboos(m): 7:34pm On Oct 31, 2016
hmmmm this is wonderful,if I talk u go call me Oliver twist, but either way we want more updates
Re: Heartstrings by SheWrites(f): 7:38pm On Oct 31, 2016
@clearboos... Hahahaha... Oliver Twisting...
Re: Heartstrings by YINKS89(m): 7:58pm On Oct 31, 2016
shewrites iono u bt m sure u re one one hell of a writer.
Re: Heartstrings by SheWrites(f): 8:15pm On Oct 31, 2016
@YINKS89... Thanks.
Re: Heartstrings by Nwiboko26(f): 8:20pm On Oct 31, 2016
Abeg ooo.update more
Re: Heartstrings by abefe99: 9:12pm On Oct 31, 2016
pls .more update luving it like kilode
Re: Heartstrings by heatflux: 10:29pm On Oct 31, 2016
Shewrites
This story - me likey
Well done
Re: Heartstrings by dexzzy(f): 11:06pm On Oct 31, 2016
*clears throat * do make u update b4 I provoke fold my mat
Re: Heartstrings by john4aguero: 7:03am On Nov 01, 2016
Shewrites you're a good writer. I enjoy your stories as well. God bless you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Everybody Is A Genius--season 3 / "Desire" By John Mfon / The Cul De Sac

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.