Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,835 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:43 PM

Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban (74847 Views)

Oba Of Benin, Ewuare And His 4 Wives Pictured During Ugie Ododua Ceremony / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare 5 Wives At His 2nd Coronation Anniversary / 'Ososomaye' Juju Used By The Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, To Revoke Curses (Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by Teeboy22(m): 12:30am On Oct 25, 2016
BEAUTIFUL NONSENSE
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by justmenoni: 12:40am On Oct 25, 2016
I respect African culture, but i think the major problem in Nigeria and other parts of Nigeria are laws like this.....
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by Joe171(m): 12:46am On Oct 25, 2016
having read some comments here, I can now see that benins carry their culture on their heads like their hair. Yorubas say; bi a se bi eru, la bi oba.
what's good for the goose is good for the gander. rubbish monarchy!
the most painful thing is that these people don't like change, they'll tell you it's been like that for so long. how can these people keep accepting a wrong thing all because of culture?
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by Kgdavid(m): 12:47am On Oct 25, 2016
ogbonti:

And how did the late Etim Inyang end his career with the Nigerian Police?? Total disgrace, as a Bini shon of the shoil dented his retirement party, with IBB asking him, "Etim, where is Anini?" He was struck dumb, mumbling inaudible nonsensical's until the party ended...SO MUCH FOR ENFORCING ORDINARY BARBING OF HAIR grin

Idahosa Nko How did he end? Did he make it to 70? (3 scores and 10) like the bible said?

These are other folks who challenged the Oba of Benin, and please research what happened to them.

1. Brig. Gen. George Agbazika Innih...Military Governor
Of old Bendel State

2. Lt. Col. Mohammed Abdusalam Onuka... Military
Administrator of Edo State

3. Navy Capt. Anthony Ibe Onyearugbulem... Military

Don't forget, these were military brass hats, who wielded enormous power in their days, do your research, before you hide behind a key board to spew garbage!

Mr man, you better park well or you will soon know that your benin king whom you worship is no power compared to the power of the Almighty.

i am from Edo but there are some aspects of culture that belong solely in the history books. A people should not continue to practice a culture just for the sake of it!

Which of your Benin kings has ever defeated death? Which one can come out today and spread his wings and fly?

When the white man came, why did the Oba not defeat him? Was it not the same Oba who later ran to greet the Queen of England, who was the very person who sacked his kingdom?

Come out of bondage and be free!
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by Tobadein(m): 12:52am On Oct 25, 2016
javispj:

Since u sound like someone who would like to know...no one is allowed to bury any dead in the Benin during the egue festival period or doing the coronation period of the OBA ..n this has been the Benin tradition before the arrival of the Colonia masters..no be today e start.
The family should have obeyed him, since it has always been the custom.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by Joe171(m): 12:55am On Oct 25, 2016
Kgdavid:

Mr man, you better park well or you will soon know that your benin king whom you worship is no power compared to the power of the Almighty.

i am from Edo but there are some aspects of culture that belong solely in the history books. A people should not continue to practice a culture just for the sake of it!

Which of your Benin kings has ever defeated death? Which one can come out today and spread his wings and fly?

When the white man came, why did the Oba not defeat him? Was it not the same Oba who later ran to greet the Queen of England, who was the very person who sacked his kingdom?

thank God I found one that thinks differently.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by Nobody: 1:00am On Oct 25, 2016
Mandynews:
thunder will strike your generation for insulting the great Oba of Benin kingdom. Forgetting not everything you see online that's true. Thunder will perish you idiot
You're a very senseless idi0t, a worthless bestial entity that shouldn't be found among humans. A barking dog in a human body. What fanatical devotion to outdated traditions. Animals like you have no business living in a civilized world. You should go back to the cave where you belong, you son of a thousand sem£n. You're a creature of the shadow, ruled by your fears and irrational, bestial impulses. Scum like you have no place in a human society.

Just imagine the hate-filled message! What nonsense! People like this are a curse on humanity. Go to hell!
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by Nobody: 1:04am On Oct 25, 2016
Tobadein:

The family should have obeyed him, since it has always been the custom.
Unelected mor0ns unaccountable to the people should have no power in a democratic world. To hell with inhumane customs.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by Nobody: 1:06am On Oct 25, 2016
Joe171:
having read some comments here, I can now see that benins carry their culture on their heads like their hair. Yorubas say; bi a se bi eru, la bi oba.
what's good for the goose is good for the gander. rubbish monarchy!
the most painful thing is that these people don't like change, they'll tell you it's been like that for so long. how can these people keep accepting a wrong thing all because of culture?
The tradition-directed are simpletons. They're barely human.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by vioment: 1:06am On Oct 25, 2016
This is why Africa is so so backwards ehn, fear they catch me say Nigeria might not develop much more than it is today. How can an oba or his foolish subjects if you ask me, tell anybody when to bury or celebrate. Nothing works in this country only mouth. What is the difference between them and islam doctrine.
They say the oba covers his mouth because everything he says is law. Can you imagine? A non elected person. That's why LGAs do nothing because they can hide behind oba excuses. It is time to ban all this trash and go all out for collective progress or else we are all doomed. An unintelligent country that's why everything is hard.
Federal government and all agencies, don't give any naira or kobo of our states or national money in any form to these obas, sultans, ezes, igwes, etc No gift cars, lands, or nothing. Rubbish.

Baba God, I wan live this life much longer in good health and prosperity in every way. When I leave this earth, remind angel Gabriel and others in charge of allocating people, say I dun do my own share of suffer. Even I no suppose go hell again, because naija na hell with many demons in human forms, but with fried brains. I dun dey suspect your angels if dem dey pay attention to your details because naija and Africa no dey follow for their destinations. No progess, no development, nothing only mediocre effects. Probe them abeg.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by deebrain(m): 1:29am On Oct 25, 2016
Na only that one all these foolish traditional crap dey sabi.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by deebrain(m): 1:32am On Oct 25, 2016
Kgdavid:

Stop wasting your time arguing with them. They need sense.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by fr3do(m): 1:50am On Oct 25, 2016
OkoYibo:

The first line of your question should be directed at your father who failed to train you properly. How would he have time to train you when he was busy fighting for the hand of the village belle im marriage.

I actually wouldn't blame you. You have no history, no culture, no identity and no nation. Israeli today, Biafran tomorrow.

Never you in your wretched life insult the Oba of Benin. If you have nothing to say, you can start barking like a dog (which you are lesser than anyways).

hey watch it!
tackle the man directly, don't start displaying your pathologic hate for Igbos.
which one be Israeli today, biafran tomorrow?
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by CHIJIOKE1314: 5:00am On Oct 25, 2016
JuanDeDios:

Customary court my foot! They are to bring an action for the enforcement of their fundamental human rights and that is done in the high court. And, no, the oba's "decrees" are not laws. You can choose to obey them in recognition of the oba or disobey them.

Why are you generating wrinkles over this matter..

You can't just sit in you house and completely under-estimate the powers possessed by all Nigerian King(small and big) as long as the state laws recognized them..

You can't with the wave of hand, wish away their powers..

No one is forcing you to obey them but, if you can't obey them stay away from them and endeavour to be far away anytime they come around.. Even your spirit would be moved at their sight..

I am more stubborn than you on issue of who respect is due..

But Nigerian kings are HARMLESS and there is this certain INNER peace you feel when you are around one..
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by Nobody: 5:43am On Oct 25, 2016
What's a god to a non-believer who don't believe in anything? cool cool cool cool

Okay oooo
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by basadenet: 6:18am On Oct 25, 2016
We are in modern time, some what concerns burial with coronation?
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by Titaca(m): 6:23am On Oct 25, 2016
muykem:
Assuming this happened in the north. What will be reaction of majority of people here?
well said that cannot happen in the north bcs dead is buried immedatly or some few our after down.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by seniorkachion(m): 7:07am On Oct 25, 2016
ogbonti:

And how did the late Etim Inyang end his career with the Nigerian Police?? Total disgrace, as a Bini shon of the shoil dented his retirement party, with IBB asking him, "Etim, where is Anini?" He was struck dumb, mumbling inaudible nonsensical's until the party ended...SO MUCH FOR ENFORCING ORDINARY BARBING OF HAIR grin

Idahosa Nko How did he end? Did he make it to 70? (3 scores and 10) like the bible said?

These are other folks who challenged the Oba of Benin, and please research what happened to them.

1. Brig. Gen. George Agbazika Innih...Military Governor
Of old Bendel State

2. Lt. Col. Mohammed Abdusalam Onuka... Military

3. Navy Capt. Anthony Ibe Onyearugbulem... Military

Don't forget, these were military brass hats, who wielded enormous power in their days, do your research, before you hide behind a key board to spew garbage!
What a funny post. Thousands of those who shaved their heads died before they reached the age of 30,40...not to mention the golden age of 70. Likewise thousands of those who did not shave their heads lived far beyond 70yo. Etim Inyang died a grand old man and outlived Oba Erediauwa,and he retired honorably after attaining the maximum years of service.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by FellaL: 7:20am On Oct 25, 2016
I don't understand why the Oba system hasn't been scrapped all these years. We are already in a modern age abeeg.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by Naijageak(m): 7:36am On Oct 25, 2016
Wait oh. Is there a grin govmentt in Benin or the oba is the govnor?

Someone should answer me fast before I tell these children asking me that the oba is the govnor of Benin state or Edo state.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by Delicious22: 7:45am On Oct 25, 2016
Born2Breed:

Kiddo! Keep your opinion to yourself.

For the ignoramus, no burial in Benin Kingdom during Ague and Coronation. To the Binis the words of the Omo n'oba is Law.
Thank you my great grand mother. smiley
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by makiaveli(m): 7:46am On Oct 25, 2016
mrvitalis:
Is the oba mad The family are Nigerians they can decide to recognise the oba or not... Sue the fucking oba n his palace people what nonsense
The Nigerian constitution remain supreme and oba has no authority, i repet no authority over anybody... He is a ceremonial king that's all
I second that!
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by MunorAnne(f): 8:02am On Oct 25, 2016
mrvitalis:

If u have a problem with me just say it.. .

The king in my place (tho my Uncle) wont dare such to me. .. is he mad??
U cld ve a point [I'm nt saying U do], bt U sound too rude, my guy.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by aalangel(f): 8:06am On Oct 25, 2016
So burial is his problem Long mtchewwww...
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by effty(m): 8:30am On Oct 25, 2016
I am sure you don't mean to quote me. cool
ogbonti:

Yes, that is why it took 37 years on the throne for that last oba to pass on. Before the last Oba, the one before passed on after 45 years..... you talk as if this stuff happens every 3 months... Jeez, Every bini person and intending resident know that Benin is a traditional place.. so if this happens, while, God forbid the Oba joins his ancestors, then please take that Muslim person to Auchi or Ekpoma or elsewhere and bury that person, FULL STOP, shuo, na trouble? Benin people no complain, u carry matter put for head. Even the Hausas at Aduwawa who are Muslims know whatsup with the Benin culture and they put all that into considerations before they settled in Benin, and you are here yanning dust!

When Mullahs from the north cut arms and legs while enforcing sharia, your lazy and pathetic a$$ was busy hidding, ordinary fine because of violating the "no burial for a small period in respect of our Oba" u want the sky to fall.... gerrout of here joo.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by Theoritical(m): 8:42am On Oct 25, 2016
mrvitalis:
Is the oba mad The family are Nigerians they can decide to recognise the oba or not... Sue the fucking oba n his palace people what nonsense
The Nigerian constitution remain supreme and oba has no authority, i repet no authority over anybody... He is a ceremonial king that's all
u are lucky to be on social network, else I would have chopped of ur lousy head and sacrifice it to the gods. May I remind u,there was a time in the bible when all eyes were to be on serpent and anyone who dared look below were bitten by same serpent... Young clown' Respect tradition b4 u die young; the gods are wise.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by Ubenedictus(m): 8:45am On Oct 25, 2016
PatAkpos:
Someone pls explain: Is this decree applicable to Benin city alone or is the whole of Edo state also to observe it?
The decree is tied to benin alone. in d olden days people usually migrated from beni when an oba or his son dies due to d heavy customary restriction, oba eware i was notorious in that regard, he caused whole scale migration and dispersed benin people leading to d formation of new tribes.
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by mrvitalis(m): 8:59am On Oct 25, 2016
Theoritical:
u are lucky to be on social network, else I would have chopped of ur lousy head and sacrifice it to the gods. May I remind u,there was a time in the bible when all eyes were to be on serpent and anyone who dared look below were bitten by same serpent... Young clown' Respect tradition b4 u die young; the gods are wise.
What gods?? U mean santa? ? Or harry potter??
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by oluwaiye2017: 9:18am On Oct 25, 2016
jchima14:

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/family-incurs-oba-s-wrath-by-organizing-burial-ceremony/168283.html#bHGPFBs0SXYgScjJ.99

INVEST IN ROSABON FINANCIAL SERVICES.

With the unending expenses incurred on a daily basis from house rents, groceries, phone bills even to household maintenance, investing some money for future use may seem a little difficult. Worried about how you are going to pay for the wedding you have always dreamt of, that overseas trip or family holiday, the education you want to be able to give your children and your retirement? Preparing towards that future just got easier with our various investment options. Our solid investment plans keep you on track ensuring that you achieve your long and short term goals.
Rosabon Treasury Note
Are you looking for the best investment plan that would yield great returns? Rosabon Treasury Note - RTN is just for you! With this plan, not only are you availed with highly competitive rates, you also get the opportunity to negotiate your interest rate on all deposits above N1,000,000. The RTN is a fixed deposit account that guarantees higher interest rate and a flexible investment plan.
Benefits *Attractive interest rates. * Interest rates on deposit over N1,000, 000 can be negotiated. *Flexible investment opportunities
Steps to open account. To open a RTN account, simply  Determine how much you want to deposit (Minimum of N250,000)  Choose the Tenor of Your investment plan (90 days, 180 days or 365 days)  Send an email to o.isaac@rosabon- finance.net Call us on these numbers; 0--81--083--5---45--03, 070--544--95--718  Walk into any of our branches in Lagos .
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by Sorenza: 9:43am On Oct 25, 2016
Something must be wrong with you. Because you do not respect your Oba, does it mean others should not? People in Benin City know this rule. However, this family, being Binis were aware but were misled. Did you hear the family protest? No. Why not learn by respecting people? Even the government in Edo State, as an institution, respect the Oba of Benin. You are now complaining of being abused when you did not waste time in insulting the Oba.
mrvitalis:

Lol.. No need wasting time on u... u just abuse people without offering logical argument to back ur claim
go n sleep
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by Nobody: 10:34am On Oct 25, 2016
CACAWA:
This is funny and sad.
The same Oba that went to church yesterday? Choose your God and stop being cynical.

So what if a Muslim dies in Benîn?
Would they also delay the burial?

K sir let me school u.
Its obviously clear that u are not a bini or even close to the kingdom.
The oba does not go to church, what u call church is called holy Aruosa, headed by A chief priest with 6 wives.
Holy Aruosa does not use the bible, they don't sing Gospel songs they believe in Oghodua and olokun, the don't say halluyah, they sacrifice animals to deities. So pls the oba attend A modern shrine not a church.

My two cents.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Rasheed Adewale-Akanbi Wearing Suit On Throne - Pic / Pre-independence Yoruba Women / King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.