Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:07 AM

Dangers Of Taking Garri [read] - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Dangers Of Taking Garri [read] (15663 Views)

Dangers Of Excessive Smoking, A Victim You Should See / Expert Reveals Dangers Of Unprotected Sex / Dangers Of Drinking Cold Water [ MUST READ] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangers Of Taking Garri [read] by Healinicblog: 6:14pm On Oct 24, 2016
Hey Guys,today we will be talking about garri and its Effects,as we all know consumption of garri is as important as anything among the populace of West Africa like Togo, Nigeria, Benin Republic and others. It gains this importance not only because of its cheap and readily available source of food but also a fast food which requires sugar, coconut, groundnut, meat, fish, or processed preferred products like Kulikuli (yoruba) and water for the readiness of its consumption

As we are apparently aware of the fact that excess of the cassava
produced grain can cause lots of stuffs we don’t like. Since its one of Africa’s most versatile products in consumption, it leaves us vulnerable to many unwanted diseases. This cassava-produced-grain can be used to make eba (garri made with hot water). So also can it be cooked with cold water. Africa students has so made this garri a valuable stock to the extent that it brought out a phrase which I won’t want to say. It can be eaten with fried meat, raw cooked meat, fried fish, raw cooked fish, groundnut and many others.

So good as it is in quashing hunger, so also does it leaves us vulnerable to many diseases such as:

– Ulcer
– Blindness
– Stomach pain
– Blurry Vision
– Anaemia
– High blood pressure
– Diabetes (since its mostly mixed with sugar)
– Scratching of the skin.
– Skin rash
Note: it is not advisable to take garri in a cold weather.

1. Eye Defects : Garri is made from cassava which contains hydrocyanic acid. Cyanide in garri, in large quantity, can lead to serious eye defects. However, proper and thorough processing of the garri should reduce the concentration of the acid to a considerate level.

2.Cyanide : is also an organic acid in nature and where in excess, it can lead to intestinal issues, and can worsen the case of an ulcer patient.

3. Weight gain : Cassava which is the root from which garri is produced is rich in carbohydrate. A cup of garri contains about 360 calories, out of which 99% is carbohydrate. Hence, Excess consumption can lead to storing of excess carbs in the body and this can lead to unnecessary weight gain.

Solutions

- All our garri producers should learn the technical know-how of well garri processing and quality control activities should be put in place.
- Verification of sources of food nutrient should be cultivated ; carbohydrates should be sought from other diverse sources which are more nutrient rich example potatoes, brown rice.
- Other complementing source of food should be sought is as to reduce its lethal effect. NOTE: Eye defects could as well be caused based on one or more of the following:
- Genetics
- Environmental factor
- Nutrient deficiency
- Nonchalant acts
- Lack of healthy practice

Health Source : http://healinic..com.ng/2016/10/dangers-of-taking-garri-must-read.html

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Taking Garri [read] by Healinicblog: 6:16pm On Oct 24, 2016
For more health Tips always visit >>>> http://healinic..com.ng/

Dominique lalasticlala
Re: Dangers Of Taking Garri [read] by freesinzu(m): 6:20pm On Oct 24, 2016
Very true, I don't take it often but anytime I do I get this crazy itch in my eyes. They seem to wear of after some time.

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Taking Garri [read] by divinehand2003(m): 6:27pm On Oct 24, 2016
Nice one dear OP
Re: Dangers Of Taking Garri [read] by nittroboy(m): 6:27pm On Oct 24, 2016
luk mad , for dis recession ,it may be after recession not would happen to me by God grace

I drank it 4 almost 20 years till date
Re: Dangers Of Taking Garri [read] by talktonase(m): 6:30pm On Oct 24, 2016
Now I know why my body does not go down well with garri...
Re: Dangers Of Taking Garri [read] by thesicilian: 6:41pm On Oct 24, 2016
Healinicblog:

[s]Hey Guys,today we will be talking about garri and its Effects,as we all know consumption of garri is as important as anything among the populace of West Africa like Togo, Nigeria, Benin Republic and others. It gains this importance not only because of its cheap and readily available source of food but also a fast food which requires sugar, coconut, groundnut, meat, fish, or processed preferred products like Kulikuli (yoruba) and water for the readiness of its consumption

As we are apparently aware of the fact that excess of the cassava
produced grain can cause lots of stuffs we don’t like. Since its one of Africa’s most versatile products in consumption, it leaves us vulnerable to many unwanted diseases. This cassava-produced-grain can be used to make eba (garri made with hot water). So also can it be cooked with cold water. Africa students has so made this garri a valuable stock to the extent that it brought out a phrase which I won’t want to say. It can be eaten with fried meat, raw cooked meat, fried fish, raw cooked fish, groundnut and many others.

So good as it is in quashing hunger, so also does it leaves us vulnerable to many diseases such as:

– Ulcer
– Blindness
– Stomach pain
– Blurry Vision
– Anaemia
– High blood pressure
– Diabetes (since its mostly mixed with sugar)
– Scratching of the skin.
– Skin rash
Note: it is not advisable to take garri in a cold weather.

1. Eye Defects : Garri is made from cassava which contains hydrocyanic acid. Cyanide in garri, in large quantity, can lead to serious eye defects. However, proper and thorough processing of the garri should reduce the concentration of the acid to a considerate level.

2.Cyanide : is also an organic acid in nature and where in excess, it can lead to intestinal issues, and can worsen the case of an ulcer patient.

3. Weight gain : Cassava which is the root from which garri is produced is rich in carbohydrate. A cup of garri contains about 360 calories, out of which 99% is carbohydrate. Hence, Excess consumption can lead to storing of excess carbs in the body and this can lead to unnecessary weight gain.

Solutions

- All our garri producers should learn the technical know-how of well garri processing and quality control activities should be put in place.
- Verification of sources of food nutrient should be cultivated ; carbohydrates should be sought from other diverse sources which are more nutrient rich example potatoes, brown rice.
- Other complementing source of food should be sought is as to reduce its lethal effect. NOTE: Eye defects could as well be caused based on one or more of the following:
- Genetics
- Environmental factor
- Nutrient deficiency
- Nonchalant acts
- Lack of healthy practice

Health Source : http://healinic..com.ng/2016/10/dangers-of-taking-garri-must-read.html [/s]

False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False False

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Taking Garri [read] by somez(m): 6:47pm On Oct 24, 2016
Takin one right now with coconut n milk
Re: Dangers Of Taking Garri [read] by Obinnau(m): 7:34pm On Oct 24, 2016
Oya na stay there. Garri been saving students life since independence. Garri is the only commodity without advertisement but still sell pass indomie. If it were in the days of bbpreye and the Garri crew, you would have been mobbed grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dangers Of Taking Garri [read] by Healinicblog: 3:19pm On Oct 25, 2016
Lalasticlala dominique seun
Re: Dangers Of Taking Garri [read] by oke4surekid: 10:00am On Mar 15, 2020
I think, it all depend on body nature...

if my sister try drinking gaari twice in a week, she will complain of eyes the following week..
but here I am, grin a living testimony.. I can take 1 paint (4ltrs bucket) in 3-4 days it Yaf finish, for several years now, I like it so much that, even after taking pounded yam, there is possibility of topping it with gaari... but the reverse is the case for me... rather i keep seeing better, no weight increment, no ulcer, I never had reason to complain of anything...

so I single handedly say, it depends on how your body cooperate with gaari, gaskia

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ebola: Stop Importing Frozen Chicken – FG Warns Nigerians / Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us / Lagos COVID-19 Cases Likely To Peak In August - Abayomi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.