Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,934 members, 7,806,708 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:26 PM

How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University (13886 Views)

How To Study And Make Good Grades – Tips For Average Students / How To Identify First Year Students (Hilarious Photos) / Grades For Sex: Nekede Polytechnic Student Begs Lecturer For Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by rioemmanuel(m): 4:10pm On Oct 25, 2016
Being a scholar entails having good grades in all your courses, while this might sound easy to accomplish, it might actually be one of the toughest thing anyone will experience while on campus.

Good grades are not easy to come by but are very possible to achieve, it is best to say good grades comes with a lot of hard work plus smart work. No wonder most university do not fail to reward those who have done excellently academically.

Though this might sound archaic and more like things we hear everyday, but I will actually be writing from experience and can only hope it will in one way or the other be helpful and probably trigger a soul to do excellently well in this new section. Enjoy!

1. Never miss a class:

But if in case you do, get a friend to tell you all what the lecturer said if possible. Honestly, missing lectures can be dangerous, I can testify to this, it ruined one of my results, I didn't get the note and forgot to read on the topic before examination, most of my questions came from that topic and it had a big blow on my result. Bro, sis, if you are reading this, ensure you read every single topic treated. Never be lackadaisical about it.

2. Jot as much as possible:

While this might be a waste of time since note and other soft copies are available, it is still one of the best way to get lecturers points during lectures. Ensure you have you jotting note with you in order to pen down important things the lecturer might say.

3. Read anything relating to each course:

Yes! Textbooks,encyclopedia,manuals,past notes, just anything on each topics. There are times we say the lecturers set foreign questions, actually he or she didn't set foreign questions he or she only expected us to read wide and consult different materials on each topic.

4. Get past questions :

Past questions are like expo for some courses, you might be lucky to come across half of the treated past questions in your examination. It happens and I'm a living witness.

5. Never procrastinate:

Procrastinating destroys and set you back. Why leave it till the next day when it can be done now? If it is relating to your academics, please don't postpone it, you can postpone others but your books, open them immediately and keep reading.

6. Surround yourself with friends with the same mindset:

You want to be the scholar? Yes, it sounds good but who are your friends? Are they of the same goals as well? If no, then it can't work simply because it is not competitive, you need people with the same mindset to set you balling, you need people who will motivate you to read more than they are doing. Surround yourself with people of the same interest.

7. Get Informed:

Information is key, always stay updated about the latest in your department, always know if the lecture will hold or not and where and when. Never rely on a single source, get the class rep contact and if possible some of your lecturers contact as well. Remember, the gap between ignorance and knowledge is information

8. Avoid frivolity:

Wasting precious time on unnecessary activities won't take you there. Avoid activities that takes time without no positive impact. Use that time to go through your works and learn what you didn't get at first.

9. Learn from others:

This alone can be an ultimate way to attaining good grades. Having those who are scholar of your department to guide you works really well as you will learn new strategy from them

10. Have that mindset:

No one can achieve this without having a driving force to do so, this feat isn't for a livid minded individual, this feat can only be achieved by those with a burning desire to excel and a desperate heart to top the class even against all odds. Of course, it starts from the mind, always have that positive mindset.

11. Pray:

Whether a muslim or christian or traditionalist or buddhism, whatever religion you belong to, just hold on to it.

Happy new academic section

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 25, 2016
Nice one Op

Hi Im Levii WesT

my song dropping soon!!
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by Nobody: 4:46pm On Oct 25, 2016
Do not wait 2weeeks to exam before you start reading, well it is somehow akin to procrastination that you highlighted in the op.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by Nobody: 4:52pm On Oct 25, 2016
Do reading chapters before going to class if possible

Definitely revise topics covered in each lecture on the same day. An instructor once told me to spend 10 minutes for each hour. So a three hour lecture should take about 30 minutes to revise

Revise constantly.

Generally stay motivated, set goals and works towards them.

9 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by rioemmanuel(m): 5:30pm On Oct 25, 2016
lexiconkabir:
Do not wait 2weeeks to exam before you start reading, well it is somehow akin to procrastination that you highlighted in the op.
yea that's true my fellow unilorite

For more news on university of Ilorin vist

www.unilorincloud.com.ng

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by rioemmanuel(m): 5:32pm On Oct 25, 2016
Contact17:
Do reading chapters before going to class if possible

Definitely revise topics covered in each lecture on the same day. An instructor once told me to spend 10 minutes for each hour. So a three hour lecture should take about 30 minutes to revise

Revise constantly.

Generally stay motivated, set goals and works towards them.
wow that's true as well. Thanks for contributing

This topic was first appeared on

www.unilorincloud.com.ng
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by beejay9(m): 5:51pm On Oct 25, 2016
thanks op
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by Kweenesther(f): 9:51pm On Oct 25, 2016
Op you are 100% correct....too bad I learnt and did all this things in my 200 level
instead of 100 level....
New students beware and learn...it works.
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by Clinician2000: 10:14pm On Oct 25, 2016
My Dear! I did all the Possible Best to get up to First Class in my First Year and Finally ended First year with 3.75..To my Greatest surprise one Olodo come reach 4.4..through Sorting! Chai!!

2 Likes

Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by faray: 12:10am On Oct 26, 2016
Ok
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by Nobody: 3:23am On Oct 26, 2016
Clinician2000:
My Dear! I did all the Possible Best to get up to First Class in my First Year and Finally ended First year with 3.75..To my Greatest surprise one Olodo come reach 4.4..through Sorting! Chai!!

Lol.....how you take know say na olodo?

1 Like

Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by Tem12(f): 6:41am On Oct 26, 2016
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by veekid(m): 6:41am On Oct 26, 2016
None of these works for me
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by bidexmedia(m): 6:41am On Oct 26, 2016
Digital Solutions Available

Radio advertisement (Inspiration 92.3 in Lagos, Inspiration 100.5 in Ibadan and Inspiration 105.9 in Uyo)

Bulk SMS, GSM database, Email marketing, Blog design, SEO, etc

Call:- 08069073333, 07064642210

BBM pin - 7b8006db.

Website - www.bsms.com.ng
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by namuguibe(m): 6:41am On Oct 26, 2016
Success also starts from secondary school ... study hard, you will need that foundation that will see you through university because courses and time management will get more challenging with each year.

1 Like

Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by Neimar: 6:42am On Oct 26, 2016
2 bad I didn't do all dt in my first year
gonna improve significantly in my 2nd year
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by Sixkobo(f): 6:43am On Oct 26, 2016
Thanks Op

You can get all the info here
How to Pass your Exam with Good Result
[/url] http://sixkobo.com.ng/how-to-pass-your-exams-with-good-result/ [/url]

Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by veekid(m): 6:44am On Oct 26, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Lol.....how you take know say na olodo?
Don't you know yourselves in class?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by sanfranka2(m): 6:46am On Oct 26, 2016
thanks op... because am just a fresher
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by onyi060: 6:54am On Oct 26, 2016
Another tip is learning to calculate your GPA. It helps one to select the courses you need and leave thoes you don't need. too much elective courses especially taking electives you are not good at can pull your CGPA down.

2 Likes

Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by Nobody: 6:57am On Oct 26, 2016
Page saved..... thanks OP....
Will help just admitted students like me.
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by kennyjam: 6:59am On Oct 26, 2016
good one sir! i hear you!
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by fineyemi(m): 7:01am On Oct 26, 2016
This is a guy 1 op
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by Nobody: 7:03am On Oct 26, 2016
veekid:

Don't you know yourselves in class?

Judging someone with what you see in class is really misleading, till today no one knows my true abilities amongst my colleagues, except my two good friends, I'm seen as "olodo" by some of my mates because I'm not the type you will see reading and I don't answer questions in class.

1 Like

Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by lilmax(m): 7:03am On Oct 26, 2016
real deal is reading
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by Eleniyan15: 7:06am On Oct 26, 2016
4,7,11 key
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by costandi(m): 7:21am On Oct 26, 2016
Past questions and revising what was done daily, that's all you need.
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by ezechueze(m): 7:23am On Oct 26, 2016
OK
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by babyfaceafrica: 7:23am On Oct 26, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Judging someone with what you see in class is really misleading, till today no one knows my true abilities amongst my colleagues, except my two good friends, I'm seen as "olodo" by some of my mates because I'm not the type you will see reading and I don't answer questions in class.
oga leave story,we all know olodos in class,we know people whho are brilliant and don't make noise,we know people who are brilliant and noise makers,we know people who are brilliant and still sort,who told you that is only two of your friends that know your true abilities?...dey decieve yourself.......you will be surprised by people whho monitor your academic grades...dey there!!!

2 Likes

Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by Nobody: 7:28am On Oct 26, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
oga leave story,we all know olodos in class,we know people whho are brilliant and don't make noise,we know people who are brilliant and noise makers,we know people who are brilliant and still sort,who told you that is only two of your friends that know your true abilities?...dey decieve yourself.......you will be surprised by people whho monitor your academic grades...dey there!!!

Baba no vex for me na grin

1 Like

Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by Nobody: 7:29am On Oct 26, 2016
babyfaceafrica:

True
Re: How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University by HRich(m): 7:32am On Oct 26, 2016
OK, na wetin we go de spend our money they do bring for us, buh wetin go give us money they will go and give it to Buhari

(1) (2) (Reply)

JAMB Postpones UTME Mock Examination, 283,319 Registered For 2018 UTME So Far / Eksu List Is Out / Only Senate, Academic Boards Of Universities Can Admit - JAMB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.