Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,674 members, 7,801,946 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:39 AM

Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria (4399 Views)

7 Hard Truth About Blogging You Didn't Know / The Real Facts About Blogging As A Career / Why Blogging In Nigeria Is Boring (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by Dexterous1(m): 1:01pm On Oct 26, 2016
It amuses me that in the present age, many Nigerians still do not know what blogging is all about. They find it difficult to comprehend how you can make a living through blogging.

Call yourself a full-time blogger, and they’ll quickly label you an unserious fellow that lacks vision and ambition.

In this part of the world, blogging is still unpopular; it can’t be placed side-by-side with professions such as Medicine, Accounting, Engineering and Law. At best, it should be taken as a hobby and nothing more.

That was why the erstwhile president of Nigeria, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo told Omojuwa that blogging isn’t a profession. That was why Wizkid called Linda Ikeji ‘nothing but a blogger’ during their faceoff on social media earlier in this year. And this is the way majority (even educated Nigerians) see blogging.

As Nigerians, we need to realize that things are rapidly changing on the global landscape and start aligning ourselves accordingly. In other parts of the world, the workplace culture has transformed from the regular office setup to creative innovations like virtual offices, co-working, and freelancing.

Based on this premise, I’ll like to put the records straight about blogging and bloggers.

Blogging is a career

Blogging is one of the smartest career paths of the 21st century. It’s a unique profession which provides flexibility and unrestricted career growth opportunities. With blogging, you can maximize your time by working from your comfort zone and reducing commuting time. You can also build direct relationship with industry influencers; a situation that’s almost impossible in the corporate world.

In advanced societies, people are proud to call themselves bloggers because the society recognizes them as job owners and employers of labour. A standard blog is made up of a team of designers, content writers, social media experts, email marketers, and product development experts.

Again, the corporate world knows the benefit of leveraging blogging for their businesses and sees bloggers as collaborators. That’s why it’s very easy for content marketers like Neil Patel to help big companies Amazon, NBC, GM, HP and Viacom grow their revenue.

Blogging is about creating value

Yes. Bloggers is all about creating value and you heard that right. Brush aside your sentiments and ask yourself if you’ve not learnt something or made a big discovery through your favourite blogs.

According to Jon Morrow, bloggers make a living teaching other people what they know. Professors do it. So do public speakers and best-selling authors. Consulting is a $415 billion industry, and what are all those consultants doing? Getting paid to teach, of course (emphasis mine)!
Blogging is no different. It’s just the same old models with some rocket fuel thrown in, courtesy of social media.

For example, I teach people how to make money blogging, and the trio of Opeyemi Awoyemi, Ayodeji Adewunmi and Olalekan Olude of Jobberman help people find jobs, and we all create value.

Really, it doesn’t have to be the same thing. Everyone should look for something that they’re passionate about and see how people can benefit from their knowledge.

Bloggers are entrepreneurs

Bloggers are online entrepreneurs because they make money through blogging. There are many ways through which bloggers make money. And any doubting Thomas has probably seen advert banners and digital products on that popular blogs they visit.

Popular Nigerian bloggers such as Uche Pedro (Bella Naija), Linda Ikeji (Linda Ikeji’s Blog), Yemisi Odusanya (Sisi Yemmie), Jide Ogunsanya (Ogbonge Blog), among others are typical examples of bloggers earning handsomely via their blogs.

If anything, blogging has really helped the Nigerian entertainment and sport industries in terms creating more awareness. This should tell us that bloggers will continue to remain relevant so long these industries continue to thrive.

Lastly on this, the level of unemployment affecting the teeming Nigerian youth will be drastically reduced if more youths take to blogging. I say this because Nigerian youths are resourceful and they have what it takes to make a successful career blogging.

Blogging is a tool for social change

The amount of influence that blogging has is inestimable. The amount of energy channelled into blogging makes it a vibrant tool that can be used to effect social change. According to Marketing Profs, about 2 million blog posts are written every day.

A typical example of the power of blogging is the massive publicity the ‘Bring Back Our Girls’ campaign enjoyed on Nigerian blogs. Not only did it create awareness for the campaign, the rate at which this awareness spread was pretty fast.

Therefore, the implication is that blogging, if used constructively, can create a huge social impact. But we have to give bloggers the support and encouragement they need by reading and sharing their content.

Conclusion

There’s no denying the fact that the unethical activities of some bloggers have contributed immensely to smearing the image of the blogging profession. But this isn’t exclusive to blogging as every profession has its bad eggs.

There are quacks parading themselves as doctors, and we’ve seen cases of college teachers sexually assaulting their students. Did we stop going to clinics or stop attending universities? We only condemn the individuals and not their professions. So why should blogging be any different?

To know how to create a blog, visit this link: http://www.expertfreelancewriter.net/concise-guide-how-to-start-a-blog/
To learn how to make money blogging, click this link: http://www.expertfreelancewriter.net/make-money-blogging/

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by nony43(m): 6:44am On Oct 29, 2016
In as much the returns are handsome, it is not still a profession.

2 Likes

Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by finalboss1(m): 6:44am On Oct 29, 2016
nice one
Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by directonpc(m): 6:45am On Oct 29, 2016
Blogging is better when u talk about your hobbies and have other people like u read about them. All these entertainment and news blogs only want to make money. Chunking out lies just to get traffic.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by sakalisis(m): 6:45am On Oct 29, 2016
cool
Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by Julietcutie(f): 6:45am On Oct 29, 2016
Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by Shawlambivert(m): 6:46am On Oct 29, 2016
.... The land below is not for sale.
Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by Shawlambivert(m): 6:47am On Oct 29, 2016
Make I build my self contain for here. Thank you for the land OP
Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by ednut1(m): 6:47am On Oct 29, 2016
undecided blogging is not for everyone,because linda ikeji bot an infinity suv then everybody bcom blogger posting lies and copy and paste. iranu abasha

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by omega75: 6:48am On Oct 29, 2016
nice
Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by Amastermovic(m): 6:48am On Oct 29, 2016
You can also check out this post if you care to know what SEO is all about and do it yourself

[url=naijalane.com.ng/2016/10/28/%e2%80%8bhow-to-do-seo-for-your-nigeria-blog/] How To Do SEO For Your
Nigeria Blog[/url]
Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by THEWRITERSMIND: 6:53am On Oct 29, 2016
I am a full time blogger, and proudly so!
Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by JohnNgene: 7:12am On Oct 29, 2016
Whether we accept it or not, blogging is the new journalism.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by AnodaIT(m): 7:13am On Oct 29, 2016
I don't think you should call blogging a profession.

Blogging is more or less freelancing
Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by daamazing(m): 7:14am On Oct 29, 2016
see how FP topics just dry this morning, no prison to comment.
Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by MergeFilms: 7:26am On Oct 29, 2016
Blogs for sale...If you have interest contact me...

http://www.notjustcelebs..com
http://www.notjustfab..com

Whatsapp: 08062337285
Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by henryobinna(m): 7:26am On Oct 29, 2016
nony43:
In as much the returns are handsome, it is not still a profession.
says who oga?
Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by TheOonlyOne: 7:29am On Oct 29, 2016
Tell them ooo
Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by BJAYADEMOLA(m): 7:31am On Oct 29, 2016
Nice one
Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by banji1(m): 7:31am On Oct 29, 2016
MergeFilms:
Blogs for sale...If you have interest contact me...

http://www.notjustcelebs..com
http://www.notjustfab..com

Whatsapp: 08062337285
Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by CountDracula(m): 7:47am On Oct 29, 2016
my issue with blogging is that everybody thinks they can do it... anything everybody can do is not a PROfession... and to be realistic anybody can own a blog and anybody can do what bloggers do as long as you have the motivation, you don't need any real education, you don't need to be good at anything, you don't need to read hard or be smart... the duck can do it, the goose can do it, it's a great opportunity but I wouldn't go as far as calling it a PROfession... medicine is a PROfession, journalism is a PROfession, being a chef is a PROfession, blogging is NOT a PROfession. it's the new thing but will it stand the test of time? we'll find out

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:47am On Oct 29, 2016
All I can say is.... These days there are more blogs than the users.... ......
Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:48am On Oct 29, 2016
F
Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by eezeribe(m): 7:56am On Oct 29, 2016
People now go into blogging as a get rich quick scheme
Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by pxjosh(m): 8:05am On Oct 29, 2016
THEWRITERSMIND:
I am a full time blogger, and proudly so!
Good morning the writersmind.

I want to be a blogger, not necessarily a full time blogger for the meantime. My big challenge is that I don't think I can write very well, well enough to make a catchy post.

I'd really love to hear from you in this, if I can improve and what materials I can help myself with to be an excellent writer that can make killer posts.
Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by daclemx: 8:22am On Oct 29, 2016
CountDracula:
my issue with blogging is that everybody thinks they can do it... anything everybody can do is not a PROfession... and to be realistic anybody can own a blog and anybody can do what bloggers do as long as you have the motivation, you don't need any real education, you don't need to be good at anything, you don't need to read hard or be smart... the duck can do it, the goose can do it, it's a great opportunity but I wouldn't go as far as calling it a PROfession... medicine is a PROfession, journalism is a PROfession, being a chef is a PROfession, blogging is NOT a PROfession. it's the new thing but will it stand the test of time? we'll find out

Bros, does everybody not sing when the choir is singing in church? or can u not sing that popular wizkid song? yes you can. But guess wht, everybody will sing but not all will sell well like wizkid's. Because they are not as creative as the guy. Even doctors pass doctors for the same profession. In fact, everyone can be a doctor but after u pass jamb and enter the main stuff....u will consider quitting. My point is, not every blog will succeed or earn much...if you copy and paste, u must know the basis...which is "do not paste plagiarized contents" if u do, google will penalize u...U have to read, and learn how sell your contents...it takes more than just sitting in front of a computer...u have to be creative....Music no be profession too? shabi na profession ni....but brossssss...to write music when go sell no easy oh....so also is blogging.

Bloggers are entrepreneurs and blogging is a profession.....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:57am On Oct 29, 2016
CountDracula:

What do you mean by "...you don't need to be good at anything, you don't need to read hard, or be smart.... "..?...you think blogging is a joke? undecided

If it is that easy, create a blog and run it successfully for a year.

Many of you think blogging is all about copy and paste. That's why a lot of bloggers fail in Nigeria..for your blog to be successful you need to put in SERIOUS WORK...you think content creation, content marketing, keeping the blog running 365 days a year is a joke?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by Zedoo(m): 8:58am On Oct 29, 2016
AnodaIT:
I don't think you should call blogging a profession.

Blogging is more or less freelancing

Is journalism more or less freelancing?

Oga/madam this is the 21st century.

It sounds funny for the owner of nairaland to say his job is a social forum owner but that is what is it is...

ANYTHING THAT PAYS FULL TIME AND EVEN earn MORE THAN 70% OF PUBLIC SERVANTS IS REALLY A JOB...

Be it a blog, website whatever...

I'm sure if mark zuckerberg was Nigerian, his parents will not stop advising him to get a "real job"...

The potential of the internet has only been 10% utilized....

The fact its not "studied" in school or needs no "training" to do doesn't reduce the "jobiness"....

J

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by Zedoo(m): 9:01am On Oct 29, 2016
JeffreyJamez:

What do you mean by "...you don't need to be good at anything, you don't need to read hard, or be smart.... "..?...you think blogging is a joke? undecided

If it is that easy, create a blog and run it successfully for a year.

Many of you think blogging is all about copy and paste. That's why a lot of bloggers fail in Nigeria..for your blog to be successful you need to put in SERIOUS WORK...you think content creation, content marketing, keeping the blog running 365 days a year is a joke?

Leave that old fashioner. Mtvhw people go just dey backward for no reason.... Same people will even say catering is not a job but a hobby...

Leave that dude abeg...dont attempt to cleanse his ignorance...
Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by JeffreyJamez(m): 9:04am On Oct 29, 2016
Zedoo:

Leave that old fashioner. Mtvhw people go just dey backward for no reason.... Same people will even say catering is not a job but a hobby...

Leave that dude abeg...dont attempt to cleanse his ignorance...

That comment irked me... I'm not a blogger but I've created blogs for people and I know the amount of work they put into their blog (the serious ones). It annoys me to see their hard work being ridiculed as "anybody can do it".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by JeffreyJamez(m): 9:06am On Oct 29, 2016
eezeribe:
People now go into blogging as a get rich quick scheme

Those ones will fail badly...

1 Like

Re: Creating A Mental Shift About Blogging In Nigeria by LifestyleTonite: 9:28am On Oct 29, 2016
Bloggers of today are a let down. Always copying and pasting without original content.

Kindly check the blog below, browse through the sections for Original contents.

www.lifestyletonight..com

the guy is good

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Install Joomla 2.5 Quickstart Template Pack(Step By Step Tutorial Guide) / Free Ebooks On Web Design / I Want To Build Websites All By Myself. Can I?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.