Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,405 members, 7,800,826 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:28 AM

Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) (15896 Views)

Highly Productive Supergene Oil Palm Seedlings For Sale. / Tomato & Cucumber Seedlings From Borno Green House / Oil Palm Seedlings At Affordable Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by Ponponkon: 6:44am On Oct 27, 2016
Gradually and silently too, Abia State under the Governor Okezie Ikpeazu is going back to Agriculture and the way to go, and mainstay of her economy. Over 2m palm seedlings are nurtured in Osisioma, with over 1.5m already planted in Ukwa East...the state ministry of Agric under Hon. Uzo Azubuike as commissioner is targeting 10,000 hectares of palm plantation before 2018....they've also diversified into garlic, cassava and plantain.

God is in control.

5 Likes

Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by Ponponkon: 6:46am On Oct 27, 2016
Abia State embarks on Agriculture Revolution, ...targets 10,000 hectares of oil Palm plantation by 2018

Owing to the fall in crude oil price and the economic recession in Nigeria, it has become expedient for governments at all levels to ensure diversifying her economy to deal with the issues of economic downturn.

One of such efforts is reverting back to Agriculture which used to be the mainstay of Nigeria’s economy before the discovery of oil.

To this end, the Abia State government, under the leadership of Governor Okezie Ikpeazu is embarking on oil palm revolution, as the way to economic sustainability for the state going forward.

Other agricultural produces like ginger, pineapple plantation and cassava farming are not left out as the state Ministry of Agriculture under the headship of Hon. Uzo Azubuike as commissioner is also piloting in high yielding varieties.

This is part of government’s efforts at agricultural revolution and making Abia an economic dependent state.

The Abia State government says its plans at developing oil palm value chain is to make the state the number one in oil production, not just in Nigeria but Africa.

To achieve this, the state government has set a target of developing 7.5 million seedlings between 2016 and 2019, targeting 10,000 hectares of oil palm plantation across the state. This would be achieved in phases.

It will be recalled that the last time a state in Nigeria embarked on oil Palm plantation was in 1964, by the then Eastern State under the governorship of late Dr M.I. Opara.

According to Hon Uzo Azubuike, the state is targeting 2 million seedlings in the first phase of the oil palm seedling, the second will produce 3 million, while the third will deal with 2.5 million seedlings.

At Ahiaba Umueze, in Osisioma Ngwa North Local Government Area of the state, visited by newsmen, it was discovered that over 1.5 million nuts have already been planted.

The Commissioner for Agriculture, Hon. Uzo Azubuike while answering questions from newsmen at the location said the Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu led administration had through the project employed over a thousand people especially youths and women in the communities and created wealth for families.
He said the seedlings were got at #350 and would replicate over 700 million naira in the next one year, thereby increasing the revenue generation of the state.
The Agric boss revealed that the state is establishing a Community Based Oil Palm Project which intends to inject the seedlings into the communities to achieve this.
The seedlings according to him would be sold to farmers at subsidized rates, which would be tested within the selected pilot communities. The essence he said, is to ensure that every farm land has two to three stands of high yielding oil palm growing in it.
This is also geared towards tactically phasing out the low yielding varieties by the state government.
Under the arrangement, each community would have an anchor that would buy off Fresh Fruit Bunches for procession, making it possible for every community to have a mini palm processing mill, while the state builds an oil palm refinery.
The Commissioner further revealed that following the zero tolerance to land waste of the state government policy, it has also embarked on ginger and pineapple production at Ohambele, Ukwa East Local Government.
The government is procuring a ginger processing machine to enhance effectiveness and sustainability.
Also at Omuma Uzo, Ukwa West Local Government, the state government has began the multiplication of high yielding cassava varieties.
Hon. Azubuike explained that the varieties which were gotten from the Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike, are TME 419 and Pro Vitamin A.
He said the interest of the state government is on the stem which would be distributed to farmers because of its disease resistance, high yielding and more nutritious qualities.
According to the Commissioner for Agriculture, the state is recruiting extension agents to be sent to communities to educate the people on modern ways of farming in a bid to sustain the project.
Some residents of the host communities who spoke to newsmen commended the state government for such a giant stride and pledged total support for the project.

3 Likes

Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by zuchyblink(m): 6:47am On Oct 27, 2016
If Abia can do this,Imo can do better! What is Okorochas doing? Great news from Abia

15 Likes

Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by BALLOSKI: 6:47am On Oct 27, 2016
Story!
Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by Ponponkon: 6:48am On Oct 27, 2016
Change begins with Dr Ikpeazu.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by Emycord: 6:48am On Oct 27, 2016
Rising sun

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by Ponponkon: 6:50am On Oct 27, 2016
Back to agriculture

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by Emycord: 6:51am On Oct 27, 2016
Nothing from the east is goodnews to you? But ur signature disagrees with you
BALLOSKI:
Story!

1 Like

Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by zuchyblink(m): 6:51am On Oct 27, 2016
I love this,palm oil is as good as crude oil. We need more of this in SE. We can be a great force in agriculture with palm oil,rice and cassava. What is okorochas doing?

9 Likes

Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by Ponponkon: 6:55am On Oct 27, 2016
lalasticlala these are improved tenera and picifera breed. We are on the right track

3 Likes

Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by BALLOSKI: 6:57am On Oct 27, 2016
Emycord:
Nothing from the east is goodnews to you? But ur signature disagrees with you
I'm in abia state. What is the government doing that's worthy of praise that I'd jump over this news.

If a statement from a statesman is good, we quote him, irrespective of his region. I'm not that intellectually blind not to know when a statement makes sense , instead of giving it "ethnic" coloration .

4 Likes

Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by fiizznation: 7:01am On Oct 27, 2016
This is a good thing and I hope we will see more of this. Nigeria is immensely blessed with food, raw materials, intellect etc. Our problem have always been bad leaders.
Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by Ponponkon: 7:05am On Oct 27, 2016
There's plenty to come as the gpvernor plans on investing heavily on the 3 season crops like rice

7 Likes

Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by Emycord: 7:07am On Oct 27, 2016
But the statement says abia nurturer 2m seeds is that not some goodnews, enough worth appraising to you? Then pls can we have ur own def. Of goodnews
BALLOSKI:
I'm in abia state. What is the government doing that's worthy of praise that I'd jump over this news.

If a statement from a statesman is good, we quote him, irrespective of his region. I'm not that intellectually blind not to know when a statement makes sense , instead of giving it "ethnic" coloration .

1 Like

Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by Ponponkon: 7:09am On Oct 27, 2016
It will always end in praise. We might as well consider cucumber.God be with us

4 Likes

Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by Call07034780891: 7:11am On Oct 27, 2016
Pain me for what? I only told you the home truth and you know it. I was passing in Aba last week to Uyo and could not hold my tears for your dead state. cheesy

[s]
Africonji:

Choi! E pain am. grin grin grin
[/s]

7 Likes

Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by Nobody: 7:13am On Oct 27, 2016
Tell your Governor to build all federal roads in his state jawe. Waiting for Buhari to do it will be impossible till 2019 and innocent lives will be lost by then.

Amaechi and other Governors did it. I wonder why we SE Governors can't build their own federal roads if FG refuses.

1 Like

Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by Proudlyngwa(m): 7:14am On Oct 27, 2016
I hope this is true, as I have decided going into palm oil processing.
And very close to my local govt.
Mat the good Lord see this project through.
Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by SamuelAnyawu(m): 7:16am On Oct 27, 2016
Kudos to Abia State Government....

Rochas can you see? cry cry cry cry

Well I Stand With Senator Samuel Anyanwu for a Better Imo in 2019 cool

1 Like

Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by ChilledPill: 7:50am On Oct 27, 2016
Africonji:
OVI has done it again! This is how it is done WITH EVIDENCE!! [s]Not claiming or exaggerating millions of dollars Ugu farms that no one can verify.Obiano should go and learn work from Victor.[/s] OVI your enemies go cry tire!! cheesy cheesy grin grin
Please you should stop all these things, what is the essence of trying to bring other SE states down, when our real enemies are all over here!! please quit now and promote our own.
Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by ChilledPill: 7:54am On Oct 27, 2016
Call07034780891:
Why not be focused on your dead Abia state and leave technocratic Obiano from your dead state with nothing to write about! This is the reason you people always get I.diots as governors. FYI: Nobody is competing with your dead state.. cheesy

Nwanne abeg forgive him and let's celebrate this....
Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 7:55am On Oct 27, 2016
Where are the cement roads

1 Like

Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by mrvitalis(m): 8:02am On Oct 27, 2016
Now that's whats we are talking about... This is what i want... Each State should own 1000000 hectares of palm trees and 1000000 hectares of cassava for ethanol production
This will be for bio fuel production.. This will help employ over 2 million igbos.. .. .

Am so happy with this

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by ChilledPill: 8:09am On Oct 27, 2016
This is a welcome development.....

May God bless Igbo nation and her people.

2 Likes

Re: Abia Nurtures 2million Palm Seedlings (Photos) by Africonji: 8:53am On Oct 27, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:
Where are the cement roads

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Aroms Farms Nig Limited Back To Full Operation Pictures / Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor / We Can Supply Raw Honey From The Bees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.