Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,899 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:34 AM

Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate (17146 Views)

Dr Adetunji Adeyanju, The UNILAG Maths Lecturer Who Spent 25 Years To Obtain PhD / How I Paid Back LAUTECH Lecturer Who Failed Me For 6 Years In The University. / Perfect Payback For Lecturer Who Failed Me For 6 Years In The University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by Islie: 2:57pm On Oct 27, 2016
A Bill for an Act to make provision for the prohibition and punishment of sexual harassment of students by lecturers in tertiary institutions has been passed into law.

The Bill which was sponsored by Senator Ovie Omo-Agege (Delta Central) and 57 other co-sponsors, was read for the first time on Wednesday 4th May, 2016.
The objective of the Bill is to prohibit the offence of sexual harassment in tertiary institutions and impose stiff penalties on perpetrators.

It also creates a strict liability offence by removing mutual consent as a defence in prosecution of sexual harassment cases, as it were in the extant laws.

The new Act when signed to law, will not only prohibit lecturers from having sexual intercourse with underage students; it will also punish lecturers who demand for sex from female students as a condition to giving passing grades.

Presenting the report on the Bill to the Senate on Thursday, the Committee chairman on Judiciary, Human Rights and Legal Matters, Senator David Umaru said the Bill enjoyed full supports of various stakeholders and civil society groups during public hearing.

As against the initial proposal of the sponsors of the Bill that any lecturer who harasses female student shall be liable to 3 years imprisonment; Senator Umaru said the clause has been amended.

“Any person who commits any of the acts specified in section 3 of this Act is guilty of an offence and shall, on conviction, be sentenced to imprisonment of up to 5 years but not less than 2 years and there shall be no option of fine”, the Bill reads.

It was, however, agreed upon presentation, that the penalty should be 5 years imprisonment or option of fine to the tune of N5m or both.

The Act also provides that the head of an institution upon receiving a written complaint of sexual harassment from a victim, shall set up a ‘Sexual Harassment Investigation Panel’ which shall submit its report in writing within 30 days.

The panel shall be headed by a non academic staff who is not less than the rank of Assistant Director, with 2 members of the Academic Union and 2 members of the Nigerian Bar Association.

http://dailypost.ng/2016/10/27/breaking-lecturer-demands-sex-awarding-marks-risks-5-years-jail-term-senate/

3 Likes

Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by kinzation(m): 3:00pm On Oct 27, 2016
justice about to be served

6 Likes

Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by alexiej(m): 3:28pm On Oct 27, 2016
Nice
I hope it would be strictly implemented though

1 Like

Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by Young03(m): 3:28pm On Oct 27, 2016
good
Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by Nobody: 4:24pm On Oct 27, 2016
Ok

The new Act when signed to law, will not only prohibit lecturers from having sexual intercourse with underage students; it will also punish lecturers who demand for sex from female students as a condition to giving passing grades. shocked

- Underage students are Secondary school students shocked

- Punish lecturers who demand for sex from female students as a condition to giving passing grades...why cant they leave the law to read "Punish lecturers who demand for sex from female students" shocked

Useless law...Ikenga my son, please lets leave this thread, its rated (SVNL18), close your eyes as we leave grin grin

14 Likes

Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by olaolulazio(m): 4:25pm On Oct 27, 2016
Thanks to God, prof Lambamba wil be jailed soon.

8 Likes

Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by Akpanzoss: 4:25pm On Oct 27, 2016
grin
Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by Siga: 4:25pm On Oct 27, 2016
... Until the brother of a sitting Senator, Minister, Governor or President who is a lecturer is caught pants down... they we go see if the law stands...

3 Likes

Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by famo19: 4:26pm On Oct 27, 2016
Nice one but let me go drink my Jedi I will be back

3 Likes

Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by MrMoney007: 4:26pm On Oct 27, 2016
He should just join APC and be free till 2019

3 Likes

Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by fratermathy(m): 4:26pm On Oct 27, 2016
How will the reporting students be protected?

It's not just about making laws; the laws must be implemented and there has to be some form of protection against victimization for the reporting students.

All in all, it's a step towards the right direction.

2 Likes

Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by Emeskhalifa(m): 4:27pm On Oct 27, 2016
too small na
why not 5x3
Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by Pebcak: 4:27pm On Oct 27, 2016
grin nice but it should be more like #1,000,000 fine, force them to go take sexual assault class and 15 years in jail

[img]http://i./9o3zww8eupvhe.gif[/img]

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by holluphemydavid(m): 4:27pm On Oct 27, 2016
Let's us c hw far dis will go, if dey will not suspend dis 2moro again just like Dat of jamb validity date

1 Like

Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by Opynion: 4:27pm On Oct 27, 2016
good one from the legislooters

1 Like

Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by thunderbabs: 4:28pm On Oct 27, 2016
Buh Lecturers can accept money, bah? Funny lawmakers, this country is a joker.

1 Like

Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by Rexnegro(m): 4:28pm On Oct 27, 2016
with mere accusations without evidents or What?
Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by maxxy22: 4:28pm On Oct 27, 2016
Good. I pray they implement it.

1 Like

Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by davodyguy: 4:28pm On Oct 27, 2016
The only good news from this 8th Senate
Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by CplusJason: 4:28pm On Oct 27, 2016
Let this be a lesson to the rest he-goats. parading themselves as lecturers.
Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by Nobody: 4:29pm On Oct 27, 2016
Yeah right undecided undecided.

Same way Lesbianism attracts 14 Years (and we all know, and have seen the video of one beauty queen).

Same way Public Smoking remain banned (and there are smoke feast right about every corner in Lagos).

Same way Prostitution remain illegal (and a 2 year old can point you in the direction of the next brothel).

This country is nothing but a Big Fat Joke undecided undecided undecided

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by ijay18: 4:29pm On Oct 27, 2016
Wonderful....me likey... grin
Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by davodyguy: 4:29pm On Oct 27, 2016
MrMoney007:
[b]He [/b]should just join APC and be free till 2019

Who's the he?

1 Like

Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by Mr2kay2: 4:29pm On Oct 27, 2016
As if if the female lecturers where asking we the guys out like this anybody would here it wink wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by uwagimboo: 4:30pm On Oct 27, 2016
Now nah students dey harass lecturers....

I am sure the bill is as fake as the gay nd lesbian bill else i dont see why Miss Anambra has not been docked...

2 Likes

Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by ademiD(f): 4:30pm On Oct 27, 2016
hope it will function...

1 Like

Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by Max24: 4:31pm On Oct 27, 2016
Some lazy girls might not like this ooo. Its like spoiling their ministry. grin

1 Like

Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by ibkgab001: 4:31pm On Oct 27, 2016
Ajenikoko is in trouble front page tribune

1 Like

Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by Handsomecole(m): 4:32pm On Oct 27, 2016
Abeg let them pass it on time. Even if this can be the only good thing to comeout of that hollow chambers.

1 Like

Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by sunnyside16(m): 4:32pm On Oct 27, 2016
Very good indeed

1 Like

Re: Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate by veekid(m): 4:32pm On Oct 27, 2016
Suits him well

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Usmanu Danfodiyo University Student Dies After His Final Year Exam (Photos) / Oau Admission List Is Out For 2011/2012 / Man Graduates With 1st Class In Same City He Was Jailed For 4 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.