Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:46 AM

7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. (78420 Views)

7 Simple Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria / Durojaiye Kehinde Obasanjo: I Drove My Amphibious Car From Lagos To Abuja / Man Hangs ₦540million Super Car From The Ceiling Of His Apartment In U.S.(Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by OlajumokeBread(f): 7:17am On Oct 29, 2016
CR77:
Really

Yea
Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by HiliaryAutos(m): 7:17am On Oct 29, 2016
Nice one, am an Auto dealer too, that is same process I use in buying my cars from USA.

To addition to what he has said, be mindful of any engine accident from the front end, most times the damage from the engines might cost you more than to buy a new engine.

Thank you

4 Likes

Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by iamodenigbo1(m): 7:17am On Oct 29, 2016
custom
Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by OlajumokeBread(f): 7:18am On Oct 29, 2016
kernigsloan:

Seriously Wow. But Y? Could there be sth wrong with these cars?

Yea
Something is seriously wrong with those cars

You can't drive them in the USA
Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by ernieboy(m): 7:21am On Oct 29, 2016
AutoJoshNG:
In this article, I will be taking you through the easy steps you can use to buy your car from USA and ship to Nigeria without leaving your bedroom. Virtually all car dealers in Nigeria follow these same steps to buy and import the cars they sell to you. I'll be proud to hear that you were able to import your car all by yourself after you read this post.

Steps to buy your car from USA and ship to Nigeria.

Register with a car auction website:

Online car auction is the safest and most reliable way to buy your car across the Atlantic especially when you do not have a well trusted ally over there. Don't make the mistake of sending your money to any dealership. Most importantly, never send your money to family and friends that are not well trusted as they may use your money to pay rent. Some of these auction companies offer free registration while others charge $200 (N91,000) initial registration as well as annual subscription. A few of these online car auction sites are copart.com, auctionexport.com, iaai.com etc. You will also need to submit your identification card as well as other required documents in order to increase your bidding eligibility.

Learn and understand the common terms used in car auction:

This is very important as the technical terms are tools you require to make purchase decisions. You need to know the meaning of salvage title, clean title, buy it now, pure sale, enhanced vehicle, engine start program, run and drive etc. You also need a basic idea of the location of the states in USA so your story won't be like that of a guy who bought a car in Oregon State thinking the car was in Orlando, Florida. He eventually paid additional $1,500 (N250,000) in shipping charges back in 2014. OYO is your case if you make such mistake today as you'll have to cough out N700,000.

Note that you cannot export a car that does not have a valid title. You should only proceed to bid if the car's title document is clean title, certificate of title or salvage title. You will not be able to export a car from USA if it has bill of sale or parts only certificate except the car is dismantled.

Search and select the car you want to buy:

This is the most tedious part of buying a car in Nigeria as you sometimes have to drive from Lagos to Ibadan in search of a car you may not like eventually. However, online auction gives you access to over 150,000 cars from your bedroom. Isn't that interesting?

At this point, you really need to shine your eyes. This is where most people make mistakes as they fall in love with a car that looks spotless in picture. Thereby ignoring the fact that the vehicle narration states that it has a front end accident. You may not see the front damage in the picture because the car may have been partially repaired by the insurance company before putting it up for bid. Hence, you have to pay attention to every single detail and don't just look at a car on the surface.

Well, some car dealers in Nigeria don't pay attention to details because they prefer to buy the scrappy accidented cars which are cheaper and they come fix them here. Make sure you do a Vehicle History/VIN check before you proceed to buy the car. You can also engage the service of independent inspectors who would do a thorough inspection of the vehicle on your behalf. This inspection service comes at a cost of about $90.

Buy your car:

Some cars are listed as buy it now which means you can buy them at the displayed price immediately you spot them. However, other cars can only be purchased at a predetermined bid date. So you have to wait for that date and time to join the bid room (See video of Nigerians in the bid room).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM4vXQg8veM

When I get to this stage, I always pray this our Naija internet does not mess me up. I dumped Swift Network for Smile but now thinking of Spectranet as the Smile is beginning to turn to frown.

Pay for your car:

Bank wire transfer and debit/credit card are the 2 main options you can use to make your payment. The card payment is faster and cheaper, however, you'll be restricted by maximum card limits and declined transactions on most Nigerian cards. Therefore, you are probably left with just the wire transfer. Buy dollar from your Aboki and send through your bank dollar account. All these can be done over the phone and online.

Furthermore, you have to initiate the transfer of the money as soon as possible because you will be charged a penalty of $50 to $100 if they don't get your money within 2-3 business days. Immediately they receive the money, they credit your car auction online account with the same amount. Hence, your payment for the car in processed and voila! the car is yours.

Ship your car from USA:

At this point, you or your shipping agent in USA will arrange a tow truck or flat bed to pick up the car and deliver at the closest US seaport. This cost may be as low as $200 and it may be as high as $1,800 if you buy your car in a state that is far away from the seaports on the east coast.

Note that your car must leave the auction company's compound/yard within 7 days after the bid date. Else, you will start to pay $20 daily for storage charge.

Your shipping agent clears the car through US customs for export. Before, you know it, your car is already on the Atlantic heading to Nigeria. Most people prefer Ro-Ro (Roll on Roll off) shipping method to Container shipping. This is because the container shipping method is a little more expensive. You also have to pair with other people in order to share the container cost. The challenge with the pairing is some of the people you share the container with may delay in presenting their shipping documents or payment for import duty in Nigeria and this may make you incur demmurage at Lagos port.

Clear your car with Nigeria Customs:

You can do this yourself if you have the time and energy to spare. Alternatively, employ the service of a reliable clearing agent who will clear your car within 2-3 days.

The surface duty is 35% of the estimated value of the car. In addition, you will pay surcharge, VAT, shipping and terminal charges as well as other miscellaneous charges. Note that owners of 2016 and 2017 cars with mileage less than 5,000 kilometres will pay surface duty of 70%.

Finally:

It takes an average of 6 weeks to get the car from the auction site to Lagos. I have done it before in 4 weeks but that was just a one-off.

Now. you can buy your car from USA and ship to Nigeria without leaving your house.

Tell if you brought in your car from USA and your experience.

https://autojosh.com/car-from-usa/

Cc
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
can you recommend a reliable Gipping company?
Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by infogenius(m): 7:22am On Oct 29, 2016
Good and very educative information.
Gees! one will end up paying twice the price of the
car as total expense (car inclusive) to have it in Lagos.

I will give it a try.
Thanks OP
Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by SUREPA: 7:23am On Oct 29, 2016
Thanks man.

I think importing cars would be too expensive now that the dollar/naira exchange is high.
supposing the original cost of a salvage car (Golf 4) is #250k, shipping that car to Nigeria plus custom duty & other expenses may amount to #1.2million.
what do you advise my brother?

[Dollar/Naira $1:#466 or $1:#99]
Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by ezehisaac(m): 7:27am On Oct 29, 2016
Who is talking about buying a car in this time of recession angry

1 Like

Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by ItsMeAboki(m): 7:28am On Oct 29, 2016
I am currently interested in a Mercedes E350 2010/2011 model, wondering which will be cheaper between this method and buying from importers in Cotonou/Lagos.
Have been offered one recently for N7.5million by a dealer in Kano but consider it too expensive, so I am looking for cheaper alternatives - your views pls.

1 Like

Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by treebuds: 7:32am On Oct 29, 2016
Obidikejr:
That step no. 6 tho... Menh Nigeria customs are serious criminals no jokes... Empower private sector in manufacturing mba, oya allow us to import now you increase customs charge to over 35% of car cost. I hate this country... Tnx for the tips brother.
USA mentality case, so Nigerians that does not live in USA does not know good cars. I live in the village
Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by JuanDeDios: 7:33am On Oct 29, 2016
OlajumokeBread:
Those guys are pushing salvaged cars down to Africa

Those cars are fuccking cheap, i was wondering why their cars are so cheap till i found out why

Those cars they ship to Africa are useless because it's has a salvaged rebuilt title and cars with salvaged title are damaged cars which was severely damaged and the insurance company pays off the owner, once the insurance company pays the owner, they dump those cars at the boneyard, the auction sites will go there and start selling those cars and shipping them out of the USA to Africa

No one in the USA will buy those cars, or even pay more than $300 to buy it

A salvaged title 2010 Range Rover will not be above $1000

I wanted to buy cars from them but they refused to sell to me because i live in the USA because they know the games they play
Can you explain a bit more? The cars imported seem to be doing fine in Nigeria.
Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by OlajumokeBread(f): 7:36am On Oct 29, 2016
JuanDeDios:

Can you explain a bit more? The cars imported seem to be doing fine in Nigeria.

Doing fine ??

Why was the car condemned in the USA and shipped to Africa ??

Why don't they sell to us that lives in America ??

They push it down to Africa where people like you things the cars are doing fine

Lol, go and purchase one

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by JuanDeDios: 7:39am On Oct 29, 2016
NaLaugh:
Buying from car auctions is generally a major gamble.

Their vehicles generally have unflattering titles and backstories. With many being pulled out from Hurricane Sandy and such.
So what's the alternative to the auctions if you want to buy from the USA?
Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by eezeribe(m): 7:42am On Oct 29, 2016
OK
Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by JuanDeDios: 7:42am On Oct 29, 2016
OlajumokeBread:

Doing fine ??

Why was the car condemned in the USA and shipped to Africa ??

Why don't they sell to us that lives in America ??

They push it down to Africa where people like you things the cars are doing fine

Lol, go and purchase one
You didn't read my post well. Besides, I asked you for an explanation because it isn't something I'm versed in. Nice day, America dweller.

20 Likes

Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by OlajumokeBread(f): 7:44am On Oct 29, 2016
JuanDeDios:

You didn't read my post well. Besides, I asked you for an explanation because it isn't something I'm versed in. Nice day, America dweller.

Goodbye
Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by Saint52(m): 7:44am On Oct 29, 2016
rawpadgin:
@ the end of the day one will still spend more than the amount it will cost to purchase it here in Nigeria
God Bless you, my Brother.
While wait for 7weeks to get your car, when you can jst go to Lagos buy your car and start driving it immediately.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by tokunbo22: 7:45am On Oct 29, 2016
the wahala is too.
Much ooo I rather buy from dealer.
Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by tokunbo22: 7:46am On Oct 29, 2016
the wahala is too
Much ooo I rather buy from dealer.
Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by Davidmart(m): 7:47am On Oct 29, 2016
cool with me
Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by Kaydeexotic(m): 7:48am On Oct 29, 2016
snazzy5050:
Just message renee5star your problems are solverd wink thank me later
Your head dey there... Who will go through this stress when u can easily contact the only SUCCESSFUL female naija automobile dealer.. ..very trustworthy and reliable.. ....her motto as always is:
"CLEAN CARS ONLY"......
Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by Alaminz(m): 7:56am On Oct 29, 2016
what do u mean......... buy dollar from your Northerner..... i find it offensive n racism.....

2 Likes

Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by skyo78(m): 7:59am On Oct 29, 2016
ItsMeAboki:
I am currently interested in a Mercedes E350 2010/2011 model, wondering which will be cheaper between this method and buying from importers in Cotonou/Lagos.
Have been offered one recently for N7.5million by a dealer in Kano but consider it too expensive, so I am looking for cheaper alternatives - your views pls.

Come and buy my own in Abuja. Very clean, for just N5. 5 million
Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by azpekuliar: 7:59am On Oct 29, 2016
Tjohnnay:
wow, mehn dat lady is gud nd vry famous

What does she do?
Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by Tjohnnay: 8:02am On Oct 29, 2016
azpekuliar:

What does she do?
she base in US and she sell cars
Check her on fbk or IG
Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by trishapal(f): 8:21am On Oct 29, 2016
I will rather buy a car from a dealer in Nigeria here than cause an irreparable damage to my heart within the six weeks required before I can confirm whether my money is lost or not...

1 Like

Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by mexzony: 8:33am On Oct 29, 2016
Tjohnnay:
she base in US and she sell cars
Check her on fbk or IG
Hello
Will it be cheaper than if I were to buy that same car here in Nigeria.
Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by Nobody: 8:34am On Oct 29, 2016
OlajumokeBread:

Check the color of those cars when they were in the USA and the color when they arrive in Nigeria, salvaged rebuilt cars being dumped in Africa

The poster of this thread is a big joke, what do you know about cars ?? Who told you that a vehicle without a valid title can not be exported ??
Come to carjacking city (New Jersey) those guys will steal a 2015 Porsche or a Range Rover and sell it to you for $800 and in just 2 months the car is in Lagos

You need to watch Vice News BlackMarket, you will know you don't know anything about cars, I bet you're here pushing your own business
Those cars are fuccking cheap, i was wondering why their cars are so cheap till i found out why

Those cars they ship to Africa are useless because it's has a salvaged rebuilt title and cars with salvaged title are damaged cars which was severely damaged and the insurance company pays off the owner, once the insurance company pays the owner, they dump those cars at the boneyard, the auction sites will go there and start selling those cars and shipping them out of the USA to Africa

Those cars are way cheaper on Craigslist too
I wanted to buy cars from them but they refused to sell to me because i live in the USA because they know the games they play
Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by LoveJesus87(m): 8:37am On Oct 29, 2016
OlajumokeBread:

Check the color of those cars when they were in the USA and the color when they arrive in Nigeria, salvaged rebuilt cars being dumped in Africa

The poster of this thread is a big joke, what do you know about cars ?? Who told you that a vehicle without a valid title can not be exported ??
Come to carjacking city (New Jersey) those guys will steal a 2015 Porsche or a Range Rover and sell it to you for $800 and in just 2 months the car is in Lagos

You need to watch Vice News BlackMarket, you will know you don't know anything about cars, I bet you're here pushing your own business

hmmm thanks very much for the info bro. Priceless. But is it not still better buying from there than here where dey would have removed some things from the car sef u know Nigerians naw. D only problem is clearing here in nigeria
Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by Ajusshi: 8:37am On Oct 29, 2016
OlajumokeBread:

A Range for $1000 kiss Bros link us na. grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Steps To Buy Your Car From USA And Ship To Nigeria Without Leaving Your Bed. by ipledge10(m): 8:41am On Oct 29, 2016
OlajumokeBread:

continue with your I too know and lies

16 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Parks His Ferrari Convertible At Transcorp Hotel With The Top Down / The 2018 Toyota Camry - Be The First To See These Photos / Someone Converted A Private Jet Into A Luxurious $5m Street-legal Party Limo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.