Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,669 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:10 PM

Boy Who Became A Meme Raises Thousands - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Boy Who Became A Meme Raises Thousands (565 Views)

Boy Who Dressed Like Female Student To Canvass For Votes Wins SUG Election / Little Lagos Boy Who Swore He Wants To Be A Yahoo Boy Starts School (photo) / Boy Who Became A Meme Raises Thousands (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boy Who Became A Meme Raises Thousands by xarm(m): 10:48am On Oct 28, 2016
A chubby-cheeked little boy whose serious expression turned him into a meme could end up educating an entire village.
Jake has become one of the most famous schoolchildren in South Africa since people began sharing a picture of him, joking he was everything from a grumpy driving instructor to an unimpressed security guard.
But Jake lives thousands of miles north, in a small village in eastern Ghana, unaware of his new-found fame.
In fact, up until Wednesday, not even the man who took the photograph knew it had proved such a hit.
Pensive
Cameraman Carlos Cortes travelled to Ghana in 2015 to make a documentary about Solomon Adufah, an artist returning to his home country from the US.
The picture of Jake, then four, was one of hundreds taken by Cortes while Adufah taught art and creative studies to the children.
"I just caught Jake in the moment of his teaching," Cortes, of Chicago, told the BBC. "He definitely has a pensive look on his face."
The two men then returned to the States, unaware they had captured a future star.
But the schoolboy's picture began doing the rounds after Adufah shared it on his Instagram account.
When he first realised it had gone viral, he was unsure of how to react to the posts, worried they were making fun of Jake.
"I thought, I'm not going to respond," the 27-year-old told the BBC. "But then I remember a moment when I thought, what if all these 'likes' turned into actual funds to help?"
Jake and his friends live in a rural village, and for some families sending their children to school is more than they can afford.
What is more, the primary school is also in need of supplies.
"I remember one day we spent 20 minutes just trying to make sure we had enough pencils for all the kids," Mr Cortes said. "That's what the campaign is really about."
So Adufah, who has lived in the US since he was 16, set up a fundraising campaign, hoping Jake will really inspire people to turn their likes into cash to help pay for his education, and that of the other children in the village.
Within 24 hours, it had raised $2,000 (£1,642) - 10% of its target.
Adufah said: "This money could make a huge difference to the kids - this could be something really positive going forward

link :- http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-37791672

Re: Boy Who Became A Meme Raises Thousands by xarm(m): 10:53am On Oct 28, 2016
how's this news related to cucumber undecided

1 Like

Re: Boy Who Became A Meme Raises Thousands by somez(m): 10:54am On Oct 28, 2016
Lol... Little mugabe
Re: Boy Who Became A Meme Raises Thousands by Nightie(f): 11:11am On Oct 28, 2016
eeyaa
nice sha
Re: Boy Who Became A Meme Raises Thousands by Tolexander: 11:16am On Oct 28, 2016
"I remember one day we spent 20 minutes just trying to make sure we had enough pencils for all the kids," Mr Cortes said. "That's what the campaign is really about."
So Adufah, who h\\\as lived in the US since he was 16, set up a fundraising campaign, hoping Jake will really inspire people to turn their likes into cash to help pay for his education, and that of the other children in the village.
Within 24 hours, it had raised $2,000 (£1,642) - 10% of its target.
Adufah said: "This money could make a huge difference to the kids - this could be something really positive going forward
I very love this!

Heal the world and make it a better place for the entire human race.
Re: Boy Who Became A Meme Raises Thousands by xarm(m): 11:25am On Oct 28, 2016
god will soon pick the call of this male Nigeria supermodel as he pick the boy called

Re: Boy Who Became A Meme Raises Thousands by xarm(m): 11:37am On Oct 28, 2016
hey Lalasticlala come and do justice to this ministry, let nairalander know the origin of this meme they av been using upandan

(1) (Reply)

Recession: JAMB Registrar Claims There Is No Money To Conduct UMTE / Watch How Pupils Swim Across 2 Rivers To Attend Classes In Ghana / Open Letter To President Muhammadu Buhari From FUTA SUG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.