Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,330 members, 7,780,856 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:51 AM

5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination (9363 Views)

Civil Defence Recruitment: 2.5m Job Seekers Groan Over Tight Measures Adopted / Here Are 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination In The Job Market / Man Narrates How He Disqualified 3 Job Seekers For Not Having PVC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by PatrickOkunima(m): 7:03pm On Oct 28, 2016
“I’m 58 years old, out of work… and I’m not ready or financially able to retire. My age is really making it difficult to find a job,” laments a job hunter.

Sound familiar?

As an older applicant, you can’t eliminate age discrimination. But you can learn what lies behind it and take steps to differentiate yourself from stereotypes. By doing so, you increase your chances of receiving serious consideration. Here’s how:

1. There is a natural inclination to believe that older workers aren’t up-to-date with their skill sets. Tip: Don’t be stuck in the past, and keep up-to-date with all things in your field. Show off recent training courses, certifications, or other credentials. If you aren’t up to speed in your area of expertise, understand that employer rejection may be about your knowledge and skill sets, not your physical age. You can’t go back to being 28, but you can continue to learn no matter how old you are. Also, be sure to delete references to outdated resources like DOS and WordPerfect 5.0 from your resume.

2. Younger managers may feel awkward hiring people who are about as old as their parents. Tip: Be aware of the unstated messages you convey. Imagine a 30-something hiring manager reading your resume that begins, “Twenty-eight years of experience doing X.” You may intend to show longstanding experience and expertise. But the resume reader may imagine you saying, like a parent might: “I’ve been doing this since you were in diapers.” If you don’t want to call attention to your age, don’t lead with age-related language. Instead, start with something like: “In my most recent role at Widget Company, I provided value by doing A, B, and C.”

3. Hiring authorities fear that older workers are slowing down. Tip: Remain active, and show it. A Personal Interest resume section that references significant physical activity displays that you remain energetic and in shape. Community volunteerism and participation is another way to display that you do more than just what’s expected.

4. Resume readers focus on what you have done for the last eight to 12 years. Tip: Remember that the purpose of a resume is to demonstrate your skills and relevant work experience. You don’t need to list every job going back to the lemonade stand that you put in front of your house when you were age 5. It is perfectly reasonable to limit your resume to positions dating back 10 to 15 years, provided that you include this line: “Details of prior professional experience available upon request.” This way, you acknowledge a longer history honestly, but recognize that you aren’t relying on things you did early in your career to land a job today.

5. Get rid of your functional resume that focuses on skills rather than providing a chronological description of your professional path. Employers have figured out that older workers use them to obscure their age. Resume readers legitimately need to learn what you did quickly, along with where and when you did it. When you don’t provide dates, you wave a red flag and invite the reader to conclude that you are both evasive and old. Provide the facts in an easy-to-follow format, which will lead to the inevitable conclusion: “This person is the answer to our needs.”

Remember: Reality is what it is. Nonetheless, you do have the power to fashion your image as an energetic, with-it person. And when you do, you level the playing field between yourself and your younger competition.

Source: https://patrickokunima.com/2016/10/28/4-tips-for-older-job-seekers-facing-discrimination/

5 Likes

Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by yeyeboi(m): 7:04pm On Oct 28, 2016
Ok

1 Like

Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by afanide: 7:32pm On Oct 28, 2016
Nice one.....
Keep it up bro....
Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by OlajumokeBread(f): 6:59am On Oct 30, 2016
Age Discrimination ??

I haven't heard about it

When employers wants you to have 40 years of experience and wants you to be at least 60 years of age

Older guys would be much appreciated and stands a chance to be hired
Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by veekid(m): 6:59am On Oct 30, 2016
iskaba
Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by EternalBeing: 6:59am On Oct 30, 2016
Start you own business.
Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by irenmwinfo(m): 7:01am On Oct 30, 2016
Entrepreneur on point
Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by serverconnect(m): 7:02am On Oct 30, 2016
TRUE TALK
Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by lonelydora: 7:06am On Oct 30, 2016
That is how one of my friends who is about 40 years old then went for interview in UBA, the interviewer was a girl of about 26 years old.

After the normal "Tell us about yourself" question. She asked him how old he is? Na so my guy said "I am 25 years old". The girl started laughing so hard and my friend was just looking.

She finally said after laughing "Oga if you are 26 years old, how old I am?" Mehn see how embarrassed my friend was. She asked him to go and bring his birth certificate. My guy swore never to attend any bank interview again.

5 Likes

Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by Situation001(m): 7:09am On Oct 30, 2016
Ok
Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by Fantastic2m(m): 7:11am On Oct 30, 2016
Nice tips
Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by Nobody: 7:17am On Oct 30, 2016
The one that's annoying me is this DPR recruitment. I graduated 6 years ago (with my gentleman grade) and i was far below 30yrs of age then. between then and now i had never seen any DPR advert. fast forward to now that I'm slightly above 30 and they pull this stunt? angry angry angry
Now ive been working in an oil and related position for the last 3yrs so i cant apply for the experienced hire position either. cry cry cry cry cry

2 Likes

Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by holatin(m): 7:17am On Oct 30, 2016
OlajumokeBread:
Age Discrimination ??

I haven't heard about it

When employers wants you to have 40 years of experience and wants you to be at least 60 years of age

Older guys would be much appreciated and stands a chance to be hired
taa its not so
Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by sakalisis(m): 7:25am On Oct 30, 2016
cool
Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by maximunimpact(m): 7:27am On Oct 30, 2016
careytommy7:
Copy ad Paste

and so
Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by Nobody: 7:33am On Oct 30, 2016
6. Learn a skill. Develop that skill. Read, then practice. Read again, practice again. Set up a business using that skill. Don't be afraid to start small. #beyourownboss

5 Likes

Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by lollmaolol(m): 7:34am On Oct 30, 2016
irenmwinfo:
Entrepreneur on point

Start up fund is not that easy
Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by myrrtle(m): 7:35am On Oct 30, 2016
nice write up http://careersome.com
Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by gaetano: 7:39am On Oct 30, 2016
lonelydora:
That is how one of my friends who is about 40 years old then went for interview in UBA, the interviewer was a girl of about 26 years old.

After the normal "Tell us about yourself" question. She asked him how old he is? Na so my guy said "I am 25 years old". The girl started laughing so hard and my friend was just looking.

She finally said after laughing "Oga if you are 26 years old, how old I am?" Mehn see how embarrassed my friend was. She asked him to go and bring his birth certificate. My guy swore never to attend any bank interview again.

One of your friend? You can lie for Africa ehn
Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by Bisjosh(f): 8:00am On Oct 30, 2016
lonelydora:

gaetano:

angry grin cheesy grin

3 Likes

Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by deleo16(m): 8:11am On Oct 30, 2016
coolesmile:
6. Learn a skill.
Develop that skill.
Read, then practice.
Read again, practice again.
Set up a business using that skill.
Don't be afraid to start small.
#beyourownboss

1 Like

Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by Goldenheart(m): 8:22am On Oct 30, 2016
Be your own Boss cool
Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by lollytk(f): 9:04am On Oct 30, 2016
EternalBeing:
Start you own business.
not everyone can do business.
Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by cejaypriesty(m): 9:29am On Oct 30, 2016
gaetano:

What are you talking about
Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by cejaypriesty(m): 9:29am On Oct 30, 2016
gaetano:

What are you talking about?
Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by Pamelayoung: 9:43am On Oct 30, 2016
Nice one. But if I wish to apply for a job in which I haven't an experience, though I have other work experiences. Do I leave that experience out and provide only d skills I possess that's required for the job?
Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by Trybes(m): 10:45am On Oct 30, 2016
Even while you are still younger than 40 and working good to have a personal private business by the side. Your current employer may lay u off any time with or without tangible reason
Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by buoye1(m): 1:31pm On Oct 30, 2016
cejaypriesty:

What are you talking about?
He's saying you could represent Africa in lying competition grin
Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by rafcrown(m): 3:25pm On Oct 30, 2016
Please give examples. because you advise can benefit many people .
EternalBeing:
Start you own business.
Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by rafcrown(m): 3:27pm On Oct 30, 2016
I went for an interview and the man asked about my age.I told him but I added that I am as strong and capable as under 25.He laughed and I am working for him now.Tell the truth at interviews.
lonelydora:

Re: 5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination by PatrickOkunima(m): 9:06pm On Sep 19, 2017
Thank you.
Fantastic2m:
Nice tips

(1) (Reply)

List Of Lebanese Companies In Nigeria / It Support Interview / Graduate Trainee Level 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.