Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,516 members, 7,801,367 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:22 PM

The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges (16157 Views)

List Of Churches Not Ready For Reopening In Lagos, Ogun / Pastor Oyemade Disagrees With Oyedepo, Oyakhilome On The Closure Of Churches / Bishop Chukwuma: I Didn’t Dare Government Over Closure Of Churches In Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by Walphem(m): 10:25pm On Oct 29, 2016
Today's Nigeria economy is really becoming uninteresting and a bit sickening, this has made me ponder so much and left me totally confused. I have asked myself what are the roles of today's believers? Joseph was a man that God used to plan for the raining days of a country and he saved an entire country and his family from Famine. Jesus Christ fed 5000 women, and performed lot of miracles. With these and many more I am totally convinced that the church is fully Empowered to solve the present predicament Nigeria is in.

Please don't get me wrong, I appreciate the efforts of various churches in organizing leadership and empowerment seminars eg Daystar Leadership conference, Convent Centre's -The Platform, RCCG Conventions, Winners' Shiloh, TREM's Kingdom Life Conference etc. However, what the country need from the church at this point is way beyond that.
All through the remaining period of the year, October, November, Decemeber churches will be filled up with Church goers praying to close the year 2016 strongly and start the year 2017 in a much better way! And believe me the church gives so much hope to those with faith and believes! After this Hope, Faith and Believe what more? Empowerment seminars and Leadership trainings? Is that enough? No that isn't enough! We need churches that can use its might to solve particular problem(s) of the country.

I remember few years ago Daystar came up with a project to ensure Nigerians enjoy constant power supply, but we never heard about the campaign anymore. We have also heard of Pastors vying for political positions to assist in solving the national problems, what a fantastic step,however the Bible clearly identify to us not to " yoke with unbelievers".

Then how do I want the church to be a game changer? It is simple, why can't we have one or 2 churches going into mainstream agriculture as part of their missionary work, most of them raise funds for missionary works outside the country with minimal or no ROI(mind you I know it is not meant for profit) , but it is long overdue for the big churches to start venturing in solving real life problems and not "educational" problems alone.

It is worthy to note that great professionals are "church goers" and they can give their services to churches on Pro bono, with this churches can have an industry of their choice for the purpose of solving problems.

The time has come to not only buy Private jets (in dollars and putting pressure on the Forex) importing church equipment in Billions of Naira etc

We can truly show the world "how missionary work can be done" not just by opening schools alone and the graduate of the schools not even having any paid employment.

I have a strong feeling that the church has the right solution to Nigeria's problems.

[b][/b]
Caveat: I am just a concerned Nigerian and a Christian, thread isn't for insults but to discuss how we can get Nigeria out of this mess

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by omojeesu(m): 11:13pm On Oct 29, 2016
How children of God can and should help Nigeria: STAND FOR JESUS. LET THE LIGHT SHINE IN THE DARKNESS OF NIGERIA

1. Walk in love. Be friendly.
2. Live holy
3. Show good example
4. Win souls and nurture them
5. Inteceed for the nation
6. Help the poor and needy

In sum: Live like Jesus.

9 Likes

Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by mrvitalis(m): 7:30am On Oct 30, 2016
Bro if we tax all religious outfit revenue we as a country will get over 5 trillion per year... This will bridge budget deficit and end recession

10 Likes

Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by edlion57(m): 10:15am On Oct 30, 2016
One most expensive school na missionary school.. with congregation money
The most well dressed Ppl na pastor and the family..they will keep tell us it worldly things
They buy properties worth billions..etc private jet..suv.
But der keep telling me dat all na vanity...why can't they establish non profitable school for the poor..some of the church members can't eat 2 times a day...daddy and mummy indeed...who church Don help...I blv in Jesus Christ...and I will keep helping the poor and the needy

8 Likes

Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by sakalisis(m): 10:16am On Oct 30, 2016
lipsrsealed
Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by Rinato(m): 10:16am On Oct 30, 2016
Hahaha
Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by Youngzedd(m): 10:19am On Oct 30, 2016
mrvitalis:
Bro if we tax all religious outfit revenue we as a country will get over 5 trillion per year... This will bridge budget deficit and end recession

GBAM

2 Likes

Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by Youngzedd(m): 10:20am On Oct 30, 2016
You have a point bro.

Give that bro a cookie.

1 Like

Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by sholay2011(m): 10:20am On Oct 30, 2016
I actually agree with the realistic perspective of the OP.

2 Likes

Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by yomi007k(m): 10:21am On Oct 30, 2016
Very intelligent write up.

Just my thought.

3 Likes

Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by Nobody: 10:22am On Oct 30, 2016
Trash!

What has this fake religion done for us? Look around look at the foreigners they know the truth www.exposingchristianity.com is the reason why they have progressed right from time. They know this xtianity was all a scan and you gullible ones will never learn. But I pray you do.

2 Likes

Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by yomi007k(m): 10:23am On Oct 30, 2016
Very intelligent write up.

Just my thought.
Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by eezeribe(m): 10:24am On Oct 30, 2016
Their role is to increase the recession by asking for seed sowing and more tithes

2 Likes

Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by Ramon92: 10:27am On Oct 30, 2016
Tell them to pay taxes..
Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by emynike2001(m): 10:30am On Oct 30, 2016
Out of a million church in Nigeria, ONLY two or three is committed into CSR ((Cooperate social responsibility)) in as much as the church is NOT a company, only few is giving BACK to d society they operate in.

Giving back to d society goes far beyond collecting offerings in form of money from their members without considering THE POOR.

Then that's corruption, a situation where church pastors fight dirty over money, now tell me, what that only transmit back to d society is INSECURITY and PARASITISM.

The church leaders MUST in d matter of urgency wake up to ITS PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY.

2 Likes

Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by Einl(m): 10:33am On Oct 30, 2016
The economic assistance the church can do is so simple: help the poor.
That's it.
Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by cmart09(m): 10:36am On Oct 30, 2016
Am advocating for a partnership of the big 5s, and that is it.

Trust me they will pull wight as Dangote and more, but they can never think of that.

1 Like

Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by Ademat7(m): 10:37am On Oct 30, 2016
Can we forward this to Agric minister??
I believe a youth should replace Audu ogbe,and do serious follow up with CAN

2 Likes

Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by Nobody: 10:49am On Oct 30, 2016
Don't mind them
Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by FellepHq(m): 10:56am On Oct 30, 2016
Social entrepreneurship is the next kind of economy and if the church is not in the forefront of it, I doubt her place in the nearest future.
Social organizations will soon be on the rise, where people can come together to solve their economic problems, If the church will not be a place of succor for the downtrodden, I wonder what she will be.
Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by Papertrail11(m): 11:00am On Oct 30, 2016
God in his infinte wisdom make the chruch a self sustaining religious body and with a gr8 finacial structure that would help tge chuch grow for many generations to come.This was achieved largely through the fact that people were compliant with offereing and tites and firat fruit which they offered to the church

unfortunately that mofel to me is not sustainable because a church cant depend on 20naira and 50naira offering to develop and spread the gospel or depend om wealthy church goers to help fund d ministry even with this econmic crisis. ..

wat I advise for chruches is to go into viabale business like iron and steel mining et al usiing a bulk of their prooceds to help hav solid foundation in their ministries and also use that to help their poor members in ways they can.

my 2cents

2 Likes

Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by Karlovich: 11:04am On Oct 30, 2016
The dullard has failed and deserves to be impeached, both the bis*xual jesus and pedophile moohamed can't rescue nigeria only an intelligent president can do so not someone without certificate
Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by adahib: 11:08am On Oct 30, 2016
Nice submission. If the churches can actually agree to pull their resources to solve one or two major problems in this country,it would go a long way in pulling this country out of it's current sad situation.

The church should be more than intercessory prayers for the country. The church should be seen to contribute physically to the growth of the country.

3 Likes

Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by hysteriabox(m): 11:08am On Oct 30, 2016
Walphem:
Today's Nigeria economy is really becoming uninteresting and a bit sickening, this has made me ponder so much and left me totally confused. I have asked myself what are the roles of today's believers? Joseph was a man that God used to plan for the raining days of a country and he saved an entire country and his family from Famine. Jesus Christ fed 5000 women, and performed lot of miracles. With these and many more I am totally convinced that the church is fully Empowered to solve the present predicament Nigeria is in.

Please don't get me wrong, I appreciate the efforts of various churches in organizing leadership and empowerment seminars eg Daystar Leadership conference, Convent Centre's -The Platform, RCCG Conventions, Winners' Shiloh, TREM's Kingdom Life Conference etc. However, what the country need from the church at this point is way beyond that.
All through the remaining period of the year, October, November, Decemeber churches will be filled up with Church goers praying to close the year 2016 strongly and start the year 2017 in a much better way! And believe me the church gives so much hope to those with faith and believes! After this Hope, Faith and Believe what more? Empowerment seminars and Leadership trainings? Is that enough? No that isn't enough! We need churches that can use its might to solve particular problem(s) of the country.

I remember few years ago Daystar came up with a project to ensure Nigerians enjoy constant power supply, but we never heard about the campaign anymore. We have also heard of Pastors vying for political positions to assist in solving the national problems, what a fantastic step,however the Bible clearly identify to us not to " yoke with unbelievers".

Then how do I want the church to be a game changer? It is simple, why can't we have one or 2 churches going into mainstream agriculture as part of their missionary work, most of them raise funds for missionary works outside the country with minimal or no ROI(mind you I know it is not meant for profit) , but it is long overdue for the big churches to start venturing in solving real life problems and not "educational" problems alone.

It is worthy to note that great professionals are "church goers" and they can give their services to churches on Pro bono, with this churches can have an industry of their choice for the purpose of solving problems.

The time has come to not only buy Private jets (in dollars and putting pressure on the Forex) importing church equipment in Billions of Naira etc

We can truly show the world "how missionary work can be done" not just by opening schools alone and the graduate of the schools not even having any paid employment.

I have a strong feeling that the church has the right solution to Nigeria's problems.

[b][/b]
Caveat: I am just a concerned Nigerian and a Christian, thread isn't for insults but to discuss how we can get Nigeria out of this mess

Hmm... nice! If only your thoughts could find d right application. Most ll quench ur spirit quoting out of context scriptures and very louzy excuses. I passed by a cathedral today, Glorious farcade is an understatement! But d inhabitants re crying recession and blaming govt and politicians. If we venture to impact any one of the 10 world leading influences/powers, we reach the point where our voice ll be heard. Who ever sold us d notion that doing such means being worldly! We are salt. Salt is mainly for essence- it enters d soup, loses its color and physical presence but does d needful-alters d taste forever. Church today is more like Mecury than salt. Selah

1 Like

Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by jamace(m): 11:15am On Oct 30, 2016
For a start, ALL churches should ban members from offering/donating stolen, looted and other criminally acquired monies to the church.

This is the first step to cleansing the church and society of evil deeds.

It is really sad that today the orientation of the churches and members is all about prosperity irrespective of how you get it.
Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by pring: 11:25am On Oct 30, 2016
All we get is the opposite.
Do u know that government issues pastors license to preach the word of God?
As in a certificate?
If u kn this, u will not expect anything good from churches.
They are the same, When last did u hear a pastor say bad about a government?
Has VP pastor Osibanjo contributed anything meaningful since he came in?
For me,
Religion is an arm of government.
And again, People mostly go to church for deliverance and miracles when thing are not going well with them.
The wealthy dont go to church to sow seed n tithe, its only d poor because they expect more.
In Europe n US, people think less about churches because they are not suffering like most African.

4 Likes

Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by Sibrah: 11:43am On Oct 30, 2016
mrvitalis:
Very dumb contribution.
Why tax religious house because they are rich? Taxes are not there to bridge poverty gap in any system.
You reason like cocaine sniffing omo ònilé who make their law n principle based on where the money is.

1 Like

Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by Sibrah: 12:00pm On Oct 30, 2016
adahib:
Nice submission. If the churches can actually agree to pull their resources to solve one or two major problems in this country,it would go a long way in pulling this country out of it's current sad situation.

The church should be more than intercessory prayers for the country. The church should be seen to contribute physically to the growth of the country.
The church has no business pulling resources.
When people choose the part of Bible to obey, you get what we have today.
In 2 Thessalonian 3 : 11
-12 the bible talks of busybodies/idle hands eating the fruit of their labour. When you check our system from civil service to private sector, you find out that there is no real productivity. People just sit idle and get paid at month end. Their pay comes from govt as a proxy to oil earnings.

2 Likes

Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by Nobody: 12:01pm On Oct 30, 2016
Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by wirinet(m): 12:02pm On Oct 30, 2016
omojeesu:
How children of God can and should help Nigeria: STAND FOR JESUS. LET THE LIGHT SHINE IN THE DARKNESS OF NIGERIA

1. Walk in love. Be friendly.
2. Live holy
3. Show good example
4. Win souls and nurture them
5. Inteceed for the nation
6. Help the poor and needy

In sum: Live like Jesus.

And how are all the points you raised going to help solve Nigeria's economic challenges?

2 Likes

Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by Nobody: 12:14pm On Oct 30, 2016
I agree with you
Re: The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges by Greatzeus(m): 12:16pm On Oct 30, 2016
Walphem:

[b][/b]
Good write up,God bless you.
But if churches should do as you said and invest in Agriculture, it is these same Nigerians and mostly Christians that will say they are business men not true men of God. Some will even want the Agricultural products to be distributed free,the way they are clamouring for church schools to be free.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How T.B Joshua Leads Nigeria’s Religious Tourism Drive / Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic / Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.