Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,134 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:37 AM

Crop Calendar??? Lets Start A Comprehensive One Here - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Crop Calendar??? Lets Start A Comprehensive One Here (11296 Views)

For Next Farming Season,lets Start Planning Now! / FarmLands For Crop Planting In Ogun State Nigeria / A Comprehensive Textbook On Cashew Nuts Trading.. #2500 only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crop Calendar??? Lets Start A Comprehensive One Here by chrisj2(m): 9:56am On Oct 30, 2016
Can we have some enlightenment from Crop practitioners, Agronomists, Agric students and Subsistence/small Farmers and others contributions on this topic?

I think it might be useful to have a comprehensive calendar of when to grow and when to harvest most popular crops, vegetables and fruits in Nigeria.

* Can we try to distinguish between North and South and Mid Regions, Thanks.

I will start off with one I found online - but this is more like an IITA (USDA) thing - featuring those crops they do big research and development on...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crop Calendar??? Lets Start A Comprehensive One Here by TinwotFarm1(m): 8:10pm On Nov 23, 2016
agricexport:
How come you post online without your contact? not even your phone number. If you cannot post your phone number and your contact address,stop deceiving people with your useless post.

Bros, why the harsh response? Has the OP offended you before? He's not selling anything so why does he have to give his contact? This is a very interesting topic for vegetable farmers (current or aspiring) and the forum OP should not be discouraged from pursuing it.

Chrisj2, I too would love to develop a comprehensive crop calendar (for the Southwest) including both rainy and dry season cultivation, crop rotation, succession and companion planting, etc. Lets home you can generate some excitement around this topic and get the thread humming.

2 Likes

Re: Crop Calendar??? Lets Start A Comprehensive One Here by opakay: 6:40pm On Dec 13, 2016
I believe this is very important in farming. Please can we work together on this.
Re: Crop Calendar??? Lets Start A Comprehensive One Here by GreenlandAgric(m): 7:04pm On Dec 13, 2016
We've all experienced a very high rise in the price of foodstuffs in our local markets in Nigeria this year 2016 but have we thought of a permanent solution to it or all we do is blame the present administration?
We are proud to announce that we at Greenland Agricultural Services (GAS) are looking towards supporting the government in our own little way by going into the production of food crops like maize, groundnuts, pepper, vegetables, soybeans etc to ensure there is improvement on food production hence reduce the prices of the commodities for consumption.
The production process will be supervised by the GAS supervision team under a project code named "Greenland Agricultural Investment Nationwide" (GAIN 2017).
This project is about cultivating 100 acres of land for the production of food crops which will hold from January to June, May to October and August to December in the year 2017. We are using this medium to call on individuals, corporate organizations, Agricultural marketing companies etc to invest in the project with a minimum of fifty thousand naira/acre (N50,000) and you get 40% of your investment as profit after the production cycle (5 months) I.e if you invest N100,000 you will get back N140,000 after the production cycle.
We also encourage individuals that wish to establish their own farms(producers) by assisting in the management.
At GAS, we promote organic agriculture for our hygienic consumption.
The registration for the investors and producers commences on 15/12/2016 and ends 20/01/2017 and production process begins immediately.
The registration form will be forwarded to interested participants through their email addresses.
For more information, please write us on greenlandagric@outlook.com or call us on any of these numbers; 08070675308 or 08168900781
... Let's practice agriculture, it pays!
Re: Crop Calendar??? Lets Start A Comprehensive One Here by Seun(m): 11:54am On Jan 11, 2019
Let’s do this.

1 Like 6 Shares

Re: Crop Calendar??? Lets Start A Comprehensive One Here by godwinstringed1(m): 12:49pm On Jan 11, 2019
Seun:
Let’s do this.

Yes my brother

1 Like

Re: Crop Calendar??? Lets Start A Comprehensive One Here by FarmRep3O: 6:07am On Jan 25, 2019
Seun:
Let’s do this.

Well, I assume your comment was about Crop calendar (and not the investor thing).
I am interested.

I will even start things off... I whipped this up this evening....
Of course still a work in progress, and of course, the main issue will be how to get good data into the system.

https://www.odeyemi.org/cropcalendar

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crop Calendar??? Lets Start A Comprehensive One Here by teaandteea: 6:32am On Jan 25, 2019
we provide bulldozer clearing and tractor services
ploughing 20k per hectare.
harrowing 18k per hectare.
ridging 18k per hectare.
we provide service for mechanized maize planting, cowpea and soya beans e.t.c
you can also contact us for your harvesting of crops like maize. e.t.c using combined harvester
these rates are negotiable depending on the type and size of land you want to work on.
We do all d job to your satisfaction.
contact us on : 08125193014.
Re: Crop Calendar??? Lets Start A Comprehensive One Here by Yampotatocarrot(m): 5:54am On Jan 28, 2019
FarmRep3O:

Well, I assume your comment was about Crop calendar (and not the investor thing).
I am interested.

I will even start things off... I whipped this up this evening....
Of course still a work in progress, and of course, the main issue will be how to get good data into the system.

https://www.odeyemi.org/cropcalendar

Yeah, I also believe that's what his comment was for.

When we say crop calendar, are we talking generally, or when it'll be most profitable to farm the crops?

I'm asking cos of crops like vegetables that can go all year round if there is availability of water, although it'll be more profitable in the dry season.

So, from which angle are we looking at the crops calendar?
Re: Crop Calendar??? Lets Start A Comprehensive One Here by FarmRep3O: 11:40pm On Jan 28, 2019
Yampotatocarrot:

Yeah, I also believe that's what his comment was for.

When we say crop calendar, are we talking generally, or when it'll be most profitable to farm the crops?

I'm asking cos of crops like vegetables that can go all year round if there is availability of water, although it'll be more profitable in the dry season.

So, from which angle are we looking at the crops calendar?

My thoughts are eventually the calendar above will become a "when most profitable" crop calendar. Well, it would be more like a companion calendar to the one presented above.

In order to get to that point of a "when most profitable" calendar (in my opinion) , there is a need to document / capture what the "natural crop calendar" first. Then, data needs to be collected for price per unit measurement of the crop, and some sort of "scarcity measure" of that crop at the time the price was captured, for at least one year. At that point there would be the minimum required information to draw the "when most profitable" calendar.

This of course would need to be captured over a long period of time in order to do this right and to have reliable information.

If you have some crop to add to the "natural crop calendar", add it to this thread, or send my way and I can add it.

I am still in the process of determining the right way to measure scarcity ( high prices are not necessary indicators of scarcity - it close but not quite - think religious holiday periods, and I am still trying to figure out a uniform was to capture that .... if anyone has ideas - Economics majors in the house smiley , let me know) ; as well as if a phone app is the right way to go for reporting prices and scarcity, since phone are readily available , or if a reporting webpage would be good enough.

1 Like

Re: Crop Calendar??? Lets Start A Comprehensive One Here by FarmRep3O: 11:37pm On Jan 31, 2019
Here is a sample of the chart to visualize The price and scarcity of an individual product/crop. (A small circle indicates the less availability of the product/crop.) Now the issue is getting reliable data. One would hope like the central bank would have some relevant data since they have to calculate the inflation rates, but I have not found it publicly available. There might be a need to rely on some public reporting.

Scarcity level defined as 3-aboundant ; 2-average ; 1- low-scarce.

1 Like

Re: Crop Calendar??? Lets Start A Comprehensive One Here by Seun(m): 2:07pm On Feb 01, 2019
What can we plant this month?
Re: Crop Calendar??? Lets Start A Comprehensive One Here by hausadreturn(m): 2:42pm On Feb 01, 2019
Seun:
What can we plant this month?
Hello Seun...
Please is there any customer care for nairaland?
I have a problem with an account. No one seems to be answering.
Re: Crop Calendar??? Lets Start A Comprehensive One Here by FarmRep3O: 9:35pm On Mar 20, 2019
While trying to gather data for the crop calendar, I found this one by FAO .

http://www.fao.org/agriculture/seed/cropcalendar/welcome.do

Looks comprehensive , although it seems to focus on items specific a region.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crop Calendar??? Lets Start A Comprehensive One Here by AloyalNigerian(m): 7:15am On Mar 03, 2020
FarmRep30 and chrisj2

Good morning, how far have you gone on this?
Re: Crop Calendar??? Lets Start A Comprehensive One Here by FarmRep3O: 7:04pm On Mar 03, 2020
AloyalNigerian:
FarmRep30 and chrisj2

Good morning, how far have you gone on this?

Short answer, nowhere.

Well, as I have mentioned/guessed before, gathering good reliable data has been an issue.
No one wants to volunteer / gather the information for free.
I would suspect (well I hope ) there is some government department ( or organization like IITA or similar) that collects this type of data, but it is definitely not easy to come by.

I am at the point where I might get my farm to actually hire one or two interns whose responsibility would be to collect the data year round. (Of course, focussed narrowly at the start to what the farm is interested in, but then might branch out in later years).
Re: Crop Calendar??? Lets Start A Comprehensive One Here by AloyalNigerian(m): 8:55am On Mar 05, 2020
FarmRep3O:

Short answer, nowhere.

Well, as I have mentioned/guessed before, gathering good reliable data has been an issue.
I would suspect (well I hope ) there is some government department ( or organization like IITA or similar) that collects this type of data, but it is definitely not easy to come by.

I am at the point where I might get my farm to actually hire one or two interns whose responsibility would be to collect the data year round. (Of course, focussed narrowly at the start to what the farm is interested in, but then might branch out in later years).

OK. Good.

I wish you best of luck in this endeavour.
Re: Crop Calendar??? Lets Start A Comprehensive One Here by immaculatesense(m): 1:49pm On Jul 21, 2020
FarmRep3O:

Short answer, nowhere.

I have also.searched tru d internet still no clue...so I conclude the best tin to do is to gather physical data from buyers and sellers of diff crop to know when they buy,where they buy,where they sell and how long they store of preserve such crops or commodities and when they sell them
Re: Crop Calendar??? Lets Start A Comprehensive One Here by Seun(m): 4:48pm On Sep 28, 2022
Bump.
Re: Crop Calendar??? Lets Start A Comprehensive One Here by Nigerfine3: 1:12am On Dec 17, 2022
This is a good topic, it will not fade

(1) (Reply)

How To Write An Agric Business Proposal For Poultry Or Fish Farming / FG To Create 1m Jobs Through Eggs Production — Minister / Harvest Now To Prevent Farmers-herders Clash: Bauchi Police Issues Advisory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.