Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,334 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:26 AM

Why Are Some Father's So Wicked? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Some Father's So Wicked? (1993 Views)

Why Are Village People So Wicked? / My Wicked Wife Didn't Buy Christmas Clothes For Our House Help / How To Know That You Are Hanging Around A Wicked Person (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Some Father's So Wicked? by prettigurl16(f): 3:46am On Oct 31, 2016
My people, I have finally found myself a man o. I am already in my mid thirties. Fiancé is in his late 30's. We are based abroad. I am studying. Now my father says we should send N1, 500, 000 for the items to be bought and distributed to the clan . This includes the bride price.

I am so upset because my cousin who got married recently didn't spend more than N150, 000. Is it because the groom to be is from England? This is racism!

We are actually having a civil ceremony here. But Fiancé wants to fulfill all righteousness.

What do I do now?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Father's So Wicked? by pocohantas(f): 4:09am On Oct 31, 2016
The question should be, why is my father so wicked?
When did your cousin get married? You know things are very expensive now.

Though I am sure he'll definitely want to get his cut, that's what makes him human.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Father's So Wicked? by babythug(f): 5:17am On Oct 31, 2016
You'll just have to state to your dad firmly and politely that you both are unable to afford the said amount.
No need to get into a verbal brawl just state what amount you're willing to work with leave and allowance for it to be increased after your dad may put forward some resistance.

For e.g you may be willing to spend 150,000 on total so tell him you have 100,000 after the initial protest by your dad you can now say you're willing to increase it to 150,000.

Good luck

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Father's So Wicked? by Nobody: 6:54am On Oct 31, 2016
Not to worry I am almost in the same shoes but its a black man in the overseas grin grin
This is what I did, I just asked my dad to tell his kinsmen that we don't have that much, he said they insisted
I didn't say a word, I ignored everyone of them
When they ask what the plan is, I just said " I am the one that said I wanted to get married when we gather the money we will let you know"
I went ahead to do my other plans
You will realize that they will go ahead and negotiate with themselves and get back to you with a very considerable amount even when they come back don't just jump at it take your time to accept..
Note: Its our parents dream to have us married so when they realize their actions is making you lose interest they will arrange well

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Father's So Wicked? by sisisioge: 7:08am On Oct 31, 2016
^^^^

Absolutely agree with the OP above...pretend to no longer be interested.

Or you could just negotiate directly.

1.5mil for the dowry and kinsmen! Igbo kwenu!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Father's So Wicked? by SirVintageCock: 9:04am On Oct 31, 2016
Igbo kwenu, really
How did you find out she is Igbo.?
To bomb you dey hungry me now.
sisisioge:
^^^^

Absolutely agree with the OP above...pretend to no longer be interested.

Or you could just negotiate directly.

1.5mil for the dowry and kinsmen! Igbo kwenu!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Father's So Wicked? by sisisioge: 9:09am On Oct 31, 2016
SirVintageCock:
Igbo kwenu, really
How did you find out she is Igbo.?
To bomb you dey hungry me now.

grin grin grin grin hey oldie...your choco is renowned!
Re: Why Are Some Father's So Wicked? by SirVintageCock: 9:14am On Oct 31, 2016
grin cheesy
sisisioge:

grin grin grin grin hey oldie...your choco is renowned!
Re: Why Are Some Father's So Wicked? by prettigurl16(f): 11:33am On Oct 31, 2016
Thanks o. He has called me twice already since yesterday. I simply allowed the call proceed to voice mail. I can't believe this.
Re: Why Are Some Father's So Wicked? by sholatem(f): 11:57am On Oct 31, 2016
Tell your daddy that after you discuss with your hubby,he called off d wedding,u and ur hubby can go on with other preparation,since u are of age,don't discuss anything abt it for lyk a month, then u wil see dat he wil call u to preach management to u cheesy,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Father's So Wicked? by oloyede252(m): 1:13pm On Oct 31, 2016
you're still a student right. that maybe your father trying to scare guys away from you or man has calculated the amount he spent on your education abroad so he needs a refund if you want to get married now.you can't invest and not expect profit.

I love your dad.he is my role model
Re: Why Are Some Father's So Wicked? by YourCoffin: 8:34pm On Oct 31, 2016
That's just about 2500 pounds. Average earnings of a British is about 27,000 pounds per annum. He can afford it jor. Make ur papa taste pounds small na...

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Father's So Wicked? by prettigurl16(f): 3:01am On Nov 01, 2016
Thanks, but the guy knows the average dowry already from his research. I don't want my family to look bad. I don't want him to feel like he is a meal ticket. cry
Re: Why Are Some Father's So Wicked? by zumbigbo(m): 4:06am On Nov 01, 2016
Your dad wicked pass. Hope he don't price you out of the market. Bride price for these Polish girls is one KFC bucket. Or if the guy too sharp, one trip to Borno IDP camp and e don finish.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Father's So Wicked? by Nobody: 9:04am On Nov 01, 2016
prettigurl16:
Thanks, but the guy knows the average dowry already from his research. I don't want my family to look bad. I don't want him to feel like he is a meal ticket. cry

Hope you have not told your man all the drama...
I don't think your dad is wicked, I feel its just ego/pride thing,, My daughter is this, she is marrying this and so whatever your list is, bring it on I can outdo just the other person.... Make una come see my daughter wedding oh cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Are Some Father's So Wicked? by Acidosis(m): 9:28am On Nov 01, 2016
No, my father won't do that. He is the most honest Nigerian man I've ever known.

Politely tell him to desist from evil. It is evil to demand N1.5m when the actual amount is way below 200k.

This is the main reason I'm always careful when doing business with Nigerians. We are mostly fraudulent, dishonest and wicked in this part of the world. Very quick to take advantage of people in the name of business. If the actual worth of your good or service is N10, simply tell your clients N10.. The extra fraudulent N50 you choose to fraudulently add won't make you rich. It only makes you a f00l.

Sorry, for the sermon but I have to correct the already spreading notion on this thread. You see as some fraudulent posters are already applauding your dad. These are the set of people who upon receiving funds from their relatives abroad to build a mansion in Nigeria, will end up drinking their destinies away with relatives' sweat in beer parlour. They are the sets of people that will borrow money from a fellow hustler and never make a refund.

Give them N10m for a project, they will spend your money to the last kobo on their never-ending personal life projects problems whilst ignoring the very purpose of the project. Ask them for PROJET delivery and they'll come up with stories about how trailers crush their parents on their way to buy materials, etc. Very wicked sets of people.

I don't know why I'm angry for being a Nigerian right now, but I'm angry.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Father's So Wicked? by Nobody: 9:40am On Nov 01, 2016
Your dad is only trying to spiff up his bank account so he can fully enjoy all that Christmas has offer -- which by the way is only a coat of paint away from now.
1.5 million naira? See daylight robbery.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Father's So Wicked? by Richy4(m): 6:07pm On Nov 01, 2016
If you decide to wed in UK, u will spend more than that amount....You cannot tell me that you can possibly use 2,700 pounds to organize all wedding in UK....I believe that might not even get you a decent venue

Anyways it's your pocket... u know how shallow or deep it was....tell your dad what you can give politely ...... but judging by your write up, I can imagine what you must have said to the old man on phone.....I know no one is supposed to upset the bride... but be polite to your dad biko

(1) (Reply)

Pregnant Wife Finds Disturbing Chat of Her Husband And Side Chic- See Reaction / Bouncing Baby Boy! / Is Being A Housewife An Occupation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.