Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,866 members, 7,806,460 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:51 PM

Meet The Man Who Spent $9 Million On A License Plate - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Meet The Man Who Spent $9 Million On A License Plate (806 Views)

Phone Number Behind Vehicle License Plate / Cost Of Acquiring Abuja License Plate / Meet The Man Who Spent $9 Million On A License Plate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The Man Who Spent $9 Million On A License Plate by jossy4joseph(m): 8:01pm On Oct 31, 2016
For high-rolling drivers in the United Arab Emirates, no car is complete without a single-digit license plate.

The oil-rich country's wealthy elite are willing to drop millions of dollars to get their hands on one.

Dubai property developer Balwinder Sahni wanted a highly coveted plate bearing the number 5. He wanted it so much, he bid 33 million dirhams ($9 million) for it at a government auction earlier this month.

It was one of the largest sums ever spent on a license plate, although still lower than the $14 million record set in 2008 by an Abu Dhabi businessman.

Sahni found that his big purchase also brought him a lot of attention. He says he can't go out in public without people stopping him and asking to take a photo -- and some aren't impressed, accusing him of wasting his money.

"It's hard, people giving comments without knowing the type of person I am," Sahni told CNNMoney. He described himself as "a simple man."

The single-digit plates now adorn two of his six Rolls Royce cars. (He also has two more of the luxury vehicles on order.)

It's also not the first time Sahni has spent serious money on a license plate. He secured a No. 9 plate with a winning bid of 24.5 million dirhams ($6.7 million) at a government auction last year.

Since Dubai has no income tax, Sahni says he sees the hefty license plate purchases as his contribution to the public coffers. He says he believes the money will go to charity and toward improving the city's infrastructure.

"I believe in giving back," he said. "This city has given me a lot."

Dubai's Roads and Transport Authority declined to comment on how the proceeds from the license plate auctions are spent. The authority holds several a year. Bids can start in the millions of dirhams.

1 Share

Re: Meet The Man Who Spent $9 Million On A License Plate by Mrdecent(m): 8:07pm On Oct 31, 2016
God is great. God give me money.. THIS MMM money no fit do me this kind money oh
Re: Meet The Man Who Spent $9 Million On A License Plate by Baawaa(m): 8:11pm On Oct 31, 2016
For plate number alone,maybe the plate number is a pass to heaven or hell
Re: Meet The Man Who Spent $9 Million On A License Plate by IamOdin: 8:18pm On Oct 31, 2016
He is a simple man in his own way.
But a truelly simple man will give that amount to a less priviledged and change a GENERATION for good.

#HisLifeThough!
Re: Meet The Man Who Spent $9 Million On A License Plate by divinehand2003(m): 8:19pm On Oct 31, 2016
Na diamond dey use take do am?
Re: Meet The Man Who Spent $9 Million On A License Plate by Whizpeter(m): 8:30pm On Oct 31, 2016
He is stup!dly rich!!!!

(1) (Reply)

UK Ban Petrol And Diesel Cars By 2040 / For Suspension And Power Steering - Buy Quality GEARBOX / 5 Modern Accessories In The Ivm G80

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.