Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,185 members, 7,807,623 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:23 PM

When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story (19392 Views)

University Of Uyo Orientation On Fire Extinguishing Goes Wrong (Photos) / Uniben Law Student Destiny Ogedegbe, Graduates With First Class, Becomes Second / University Of Ibadan Law Student Jumps To Her Death During A Show (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by ZainabOs(f): 7:07am On Nov 02, 2016
law an long writeup are like....
Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by esthel(f): 7:14am On Nov 02, 2016
Pele cheesy....it all still ended in praise. Lagos campus is still the best tho....unending fun in the heart of lagos.
Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by didijay(m): 7:27am On Nov 02, 2016
Nice write up.. but which year was this? Because thosr of us in uniuyo have not known our admission status talkless of where we are going to
Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by uhuru2015: 7:31am On Nov 02, 2016
tukdi:
If you really love practice (litigation), then Abuja or Lagos will be better for you to do your service! grin

There is nothing as sweet as a lawyer to go for service after his/her call to bar! grin

You might even settle there and might not even want to go back again grin

You are just on the right track bro ie: a senior advocate of Nigeria in the making grin

Once again, Congratulations to you (The Barr)!!! grin grin grin
Lol! Yes o, so I heard. I am really looking forth for the NYSC thing. Lol...Thanks a lot Snr...
Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by lanre211(m): 7:31am On Nov 02, 2016
uhuru2015:

If I can recall well, the first time I heard or uttered the word “Yola” was sometime during my primary school days. It was under the mango tree in our school compound. We were learning the (then) 30 states and capitals in that typical sing-song fashion Nigerian primary schools use. It was a sweet song, so sweet that some of my classmates were able to recite the 30 states that day; others 20 states or less.

I guess it was not all that sweet to me or I didn’t like the sound of all the states, as I found myself stuck on only two. Our teacher then (who has since passed; God rest her soul) made me stand in front of the class and recite the rhyme. So I began:

“30 states and capital: Abia – Umuaya, Adamawa – Yoya, Abia – Umuaya, Adamawa – Yoya, Adamawa – Yoya; Adamawa – Yoya; Yoya… Yoya…Adamawa…”

My voice was breaking into uncontrollable tears. I could hear my classmates bullying me with uncontrollable laughter. I could hear their tiny voices whispering: “Nwa headi, amag’ ag’ ya o. Obodo ugwu awusa d’ya oyi!’” (“The headmaster’s child does not know how to recite it o. He likes the land of the Hausas!”).

Even though I could see the disappointment on my teacher’s face, she didn’t mind my already soiled green and white school uniform. Instead, she carried me up in her arms and wiped my tears with her palms. She urged me not to listen to my classmates and reassured me that with time, I will learn the states and capitals and recite them better than my peers.

Two decades later, somewhere in the capital city of Enugu, I found myself stuck with the same four-letter word in the tiny bathroom of a bosom friend’s one room en-suite apartment. “ADAMAWA – YOLA” echoed in my head as I sat in that bathroom, with beads of sweat rushing out of my body on a cold Friday morning.

I had just graduated from the Faculty of Law, University of Nigeria with good honours and was waiting to be posted to any of the six campuses of the Nigerian Law School for the one year vocational training required of all Nigerian Law Students. Knowing “somebody that knows somebody”, I was certain that I would be posted to the Headquarters of Nigerian Law School in Bwari, Abuja. In fact, after the online registration, I bragged loudly to all that cared to ask.

“Which law school are you going to?”

“Abuja campus, of course! Where else?”, I would scornfully say.

I think my bragging became so irritating that, one day, an acquaintance asked me solemnly, “Have you worked your posting to Abuja?”

Before he could finish, I zoomed off:

“Yes, I have. One of the lecturers in Abuja campus is my very good friend. I know one of the Directors in Abuja campus and my Oga and the main Oga in Abuja Campus are very close. I have forwarded my details.”

The guy just said, “Hmmm…” followed by a long silence.

Another person who overheard us asked, “You don’t like Enugu campus?“

I frowned at him and asked; “How can I? I am from Enugu. I did my primary, secondary and university education in Enugu. I need a change of academic environment, biko.“

My trust in my Abuja connect was still strong on the eve of the posting, as I lay on the six spring mattress lying on the floor of that one-room apartment with two of my close friends and classmates. We kept vigil for the posting; empty cans of Alomo Bitters, Orijin and Hero bottles littered the room. I could see the fear written on my friends’ faces and I could tell why, but I was overconfident that I would be posted to Abuja campus because of the “somebody” I knew. The only fear I entertained that night as we kept vigil together was that my good friends might not be posted to Abuja. As we all desired to be in the same campus, we each chose Abuja as our first choice during the online registration.

Mid way into our self imposed vigil, I slept off and was woken up by one of my friends, terribly shaken. He had slept off too and dreamt that he was posted to Kano. I shouted, “God forbid!“

As we say, the sleep in my eyes “cleared” instantly! The other friend there with us was also woken by the K- word. He shouted “Jesus!” when he heard “Kano” and sat up immediately.

I asked the friend that dreamt, “Do your dreams come true?“. He said yes.

I started consoling him on his loss. “Boko Haram crisis is not that serious in Kano. You should be grateful that you are not posted to Yola; the headquarters of Boko Haram.”

I then made a dry joke about how even lecturers are transferred to Yola as punishment for not being in the right clique and those transferred there either try to get redeployed to another campus or resign. We laughed and drank more until we slept off.

Around 4 a.m., we were woken up by the shouts of; “Yeah! Yeah! Lagos, here I come!”

It was the voice of my friend who dreamt that he had been posted to Kano. I could see the tears of joy on his face. I quickly unplugged my INNJOO phone from the socket and checked my status but I was not posted yet. I congratulated my dear friend but with mixed feelings.

“He dreamt of Kano and his dreams come true, and now he is posted to Lagos. Which of his friends is now going to Kano?“, I thought. I shrugged off this feeling. “Definitely not me.“, I told myself and kept a straight face. “My Abuja friend will post me to Abuja; he promised to do so. I can’t go to the North with all the killing of students and ‘Kopas’, and the poor performance of Yola campus every year. Mbakwa o! God forbid. It’s either Abuja or Lagos.“, I reassured myself. 

Fear began to creep up on me; my friends could see it but I pretended to not be afraid. I called Madam Obere to warm her goat meat pepper soup and serve us with more cold beer. That was around 6 a.m. As we ate, drank and chatted about hopes and law school expectations, we had our phones handy and regularly checked social media for updates. #NLSposting was trending on Twitter and Facebook.

@amarajesus: “God has remembered my family and me. I don’t know anybody but Jesus is my somebody and He has posted me to Abuja. #PraiseGod #JesusMySomebody #NLSposting.”

@sassylawyer: “My Abuja connect is on point. #TeamAbuja #flexingthingsonmymind #NLSposting”.

@kingsbench: “This #NLSposting does not reflect my wish and desire. It is a caricature of a supposed transparent process engineered by my class rep. Why #KanoCampus?”

@Ichie_common_law: “My enemies have finally gotten me. They have sent me to Boko Haram. How many days from Enugu to Kano bikonu? #SoberMood #NLSposting.”

@corporatelawyer: “That awesome moment you get posted to Lagos campus as a budding corporate lawyer with months of internship in corporate law practice. #iRepLagos #NLSPosting.”

We laughed over all these amidst mouthfuls of peppery goat meat and cold beer. “Months of internship” spent taking pictures from different corners of the law firm and posting on Facebook and Instagram. Also, how can one accuse his class rep of manipulating Law School posting? Not even the Dean of a Faculty can take such credit. We shrugged at the thought of how influential the accused class rep could be.

Then came a sorrowful scream. “Kano! Kano!! But why me?”

Our dear friend had been posted to Kano campus. Thank God the Lagos guy’s Kano dream finally came true and I wasn’t the one going to Kano. I stood up from the floor, patted the Kano guy at the back and told him it may not be as bad as he thinks, gave my phone to the Lagos guy to be checking my status; took a chunk of meat and gulp of cold beer and headed to the bathroom. I was a happy man.

After removing my clothes and turning on the shower, the Lagos guy called from the room with an unexpected announcement.

“Guy, you have been posted to Yola.”

I stood frozen, yet sweating profusely in the shower. I couldn’t hear anything except the sound of the primary school song of “Adamawa – Yola” echoing in my head. Men don’t cry, but I did.”

Slowly, with shock and shame, I walked out of the bathroom. My friends rushed and tied a towel round my naked waist. Aside the echoing school song and questions like “Why me? What have I done wrong?” floating around in my head, I could hear my friends saying; “Guy, calm down before you hurt yourself o. It may not be as bad as you think. Things have changed about Boko Haram fight since APC changed Nigeria.”

I collected my phone and checked my posting. Truly, “You have been posted to YOLA!” was staring at me boldly. My friends suggested that I should call my Abuja friend and my Oga that knows the main Oga in Abuja so that they will repost me to Abuja or Lagos. I then dialled my Abuja friend.

“Hello sir!”

“Yes, how are you?” 

“I am fine sir. And you?”

“I am good. Have you been posted?“

“Yes sir.“

“To where?“

“Yola.“

I held the phone tightly. A brief silence followed that word.

“Hello sir?”

“Yes, I am here. When are you travelling to Yola?”

I wasn’t sure if I had heard the question he had just asked me, or if it was meant for someone else. I was so shocked by the question that I didn’t know when I told him: “But sir, you promised to post me to Abuja campus.“

He then replied saying that he was not in charge of posting and that the person he knew in the ICT department had been transferred before our posting.

“Sir, please can you repost me to Enugu? Forget about Abuja; I don’t even like Abuja or Lagos and its busy traffic. I am more used to Enugu.“

“No, you did not say that on time. Besides, it is not possible because your orientation and lectures will start on Monday and today is Friday already. When you reach Yola make sure you call me.” Then came the hang up tone.

Confused, I then called my Oga but the conversation was not different. He urged me to accept the posting in good faith and go to Yola. According to him, maybe God is planning to make me Turaki Adamawa. What he meant by that I am yet to find out. I told him that I don’t know the road to Yola and he said, “That’s why you have Google Maps in your phone”.

That was how I packed my belongings and left the coal city of Enugu on Saturday morning before sunrise with the aid of Google Maps. It was a long journey to the North that humbled me and reminded me of the vanity of trusting in men. As I journeyed, I discovered from the notifications pouring into my phone each time 3G breezed in that news of my posting to Yola was trending on BBM and Facebook.

@kingsbench: “The influential Classrep that couldn’t influence his own posting to Abuja or even Enugu. Shame! I hope he stays safe in Yola bombings. #NLSposting.”

I shook my head and smiled as my phone signal tripped off. “It shall end in praise”, I promised myself.

Sixteen hours later, I found myself in front of a beautiful milk coloured gate manned by fierce looking military men and boldly inscribed with the words: WABBAMA – WABBAMA (WELCOME – WELCOME). Beside the beautiful gate was a big banner of Abubakar Shekau’s head surrounded by his comrades in arms. Another bold inscription accompanied this image: MOST WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE. I closed my eyes and prayed.

copy and paste..... word for word..... #ihailthee
Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by uhuru2015: 7:33am On Nov 02, 2016
Cessa0:
lolz adamawa yoya.. hehehe. ., congrats jawe
Lol! Thanks a lot dear...
Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by uhuru2015: 7:34am On Nov 02, 2016
ZainabOs:
law an long writeup are like....
Lol... tongue tongue
Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by tukdi: 7:36am On Nov 02, 2016
uhuru2015:
Lol! Yes o, so I heard. I am really looking forth for the NYSC thing. Lol...Thanks a lot Snr...
grin

1 Like

Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by uhuru2015: 7:38am On Nov 02, 2016
esthel:
Pele cheesy....it all still ended in praise. Lagos campus is still the best tho....unending fun in the heart of lagos.
Lol! Yes it did. We thank God. Lagos is the bomb nah. We heard their gist cheesy wink wink
Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by uhuru2015: 7:41am On Nov 02, 2016
didijay:
Nice write up.. but which year was this? Because thosr of us in uniuyo have not known our admission status talkless of where we are going to
2O15/2O16 set. We finished Seቀt this year.
Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by Mitsurugi(m): 7:41am On Nov 02, 2016
uhuru2015:
Lol... No wahala... Ajonwata na enye nsogbu o... Lol!

Is Ajo nwata still at UNEC? That was one helluva lecturer. You were primed to get scared of Equity & Trust by First year. But after one class by 400L I knew I had clinched it. I took Environmental Law afterwards grin

1 Like

Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by midey93(f): 7:41am On Nov 02, 2016
Posting is just the major thing I'm waiting for now

fear just dey catch me as I dey read this thing sef.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by gemale(m): 7:42am On Nov 02, 2016
Dt moment when i wnt 2 laff @ op's misfortune; den i rmbr my nysc posting on 26th of ds month & dt I had 2 choose sokoto as 1 of d 4 States when I saw state lyk borno, adamawa, yobe in dt category........ (makes sign of d cross). Kindly save ur son o Lord Jehovah!!!

2 Likes

Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by uhuru2015: 7:43am On Nov 02, 2016
lanre211:

copy and paste..... word for word..... #ihailthee
What are you insinuating

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by gemale(m): 7:47am On Nov 02, 2016
uhuru2015:
Lol! Yes it did. We thank God. Lagos is the bomb nah. We heard their gist cheesy wink wink
Somewhere dt d hostels r crappy, those days, dey wld come 2 my skul (kings college) 2 fetch water & read @ nyt. Their classes nko? Filled 2 D brim wt students dt somtyms pple collapse due 2 D adverse conditions present dere. Abuja is still d best.
Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by uhuru2015: 7:48am On Nov 02, 2016
Mitsurugi:

Is Ajo nwata still at UNEC? That was one helluva lecturer. You were primed to get scared of Equity & Trust by First year. But after one class by 400L I knew I had clinched it. I took Environmental Law afterwards grin
You did what? : Bros, I dab for you o..Lol! that would have been an academic suicide mission for me...Lol...The man is still in UNEC o embarassed

2 Likes

Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by Nobody: 7:49am On Nov 02, 2016
grin grin grin Agbalusia Ngene 1

1 Like

Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by uhuru2015: 7:50am On Nov 02, 2016
midey93:

Lol! Just keeቀ ቀraying, the thing can be mentally torturing. wink
Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by tumax5104(m): 7:51am On Nov 02, 2016
cheesy cheesy nice write up

1 Like

Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by sisisioge: 7:58am On Nov 02, 2016
The comic angle to your gist is lovely...well done.

God may really have a beautiful plan for you counsel, you need to see beyond your norm. By the way, Yola is a beautiful place with beautiful people...try to enjoy your time there.

May the good Lord shield you in the shadows of His palms.

1 Like

Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by bocin500(m): 7:59am On Nov 02, 2016
Very captivating write up. The choice of words, narrative style and ease with which you brought a blend of reality and comedy is a skill only master writers possess. Thanks for sharing and above all, please consider writing as a profession. If you ask me, you sure have what it takes!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by uhuru2015: 8:01am On Nov 02, 2016
flamingtiger:
grin grin grin Agbalusia Ngene 1
Nadis na Ewuwu grin grin grin How did you even crack my moniker We made it to front ቀage o wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by Nobody: 8:05am On Nov 02, 2016
uhuru2015:
Nadis na Ewuwu grin grin grin How did you even crack my moniker We made it to front ቀage o wink wink wink

That is a no-brainer na grin

1 Like

Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by djeezy(m): 8:08am On Nov 02, 2016
midey93:

Lol. I know the feeling. Relax law school usually post people to their first choice if you applied early enough from your school.
Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by MizFrances(f): 8:15am On Nov 02, 2016
Lmao
Very nice.
I just finished from Enugu campus. Congrats to us

1 Like

Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by vectoh(m): 8:16am On Nov 02, 2016
This made my day already...funny man.! 'i closed my eyes and prayed' this was really funny...grin

2 Likes

Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by OlujobaSamuel: 8:24am On Nov 02, 2016
Op, nice one, congratulations.
Btw, as a potential bencher or San/AGM, you tried bribing your way through school, even though you are eloquent and sound brilliant.
What you did tantamount to perversion of due process, also a corrupt act, just the way our politicians are doing.
Thanks. Congrats still.
Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by bitingcool: 8:30am On Nov 02, 2016
U write beautifully, the response and attitude of your 'abuja helper' cracked me up. 'Maybe you will become Turaki Adamawa'. Hope to read more from you.

1 Like

Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by praxs(m): 8:33am On Nov 02, 2016
So whats wrung with yola? Nothing like bomb or shootings here, just pple with there normal lives. Wish u the best and enjoy every bit of ur time dere. Least i forgot, am a lecturer in AUN. Hop we cross path someday

1 Like

Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by sinhin(m): 8:35am On Nov 02, 2016
My brother

May you find absolute peace in Yola and the day you return home back to your people; may you return to them in peace and bring peace upon them... Don't be sad for it's all meant to be.

1 Like

Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by joinnow: 8:36am On Nov 02, 2016
Bros you cause your challenge.
Even bible/koran said pride b4 fall
You brag about Abuja connection .
Similar to a guy that got the inform that he has been given scholarship he went to church the next Sunday and give testimony.do you know after that testimony he never got scholarship documents or even the scholarship.
A lady also start bragging that her USA friend is coming to marry her.A week to when he be arriving Nigeria he was set up and arrested and jail in USA
The girl cry tire.
Lesson in life
Always keep your mouth shut

1 Like

Re: When "Working" Your Posting Goes Wrong: A Nigerian Law Student's Story by Beetee1(m): 8:45am On Nov 02, 2016
Waooooo, best write-up of the year
But honestly is a good place to be, I was there also for service as an engrn. Graduate, left there back for lagos after service when my Gfriend claimed she can't settle down there. But now we are both there doing very fine in our endeavors with her refusing to go to Lag even for Xmas. She's just so much njoying the place.
It is well with u bro

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Admission At Federal School Of Dental Technology And Therapy Enugu State / Centre For Corruption Studies, University Of Abuja Billboard (Photo) / Burnt Tedder Hall At University Of Ibadan (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.