Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,382 members, 7,781,077 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:30 AM

Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana (26210 Views)

Nigerian Man Honoured In Spain For Saving Life Of A Spanish Citizen. Photos / Chukwuka Okonjo Displays His Latest Book On Tertiary Education In Nigeria / Ngozi Okonjo Father ,professor Chukwuka Okonjo, Receives Ghana’s National Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by PMBNG(m): 9:09pm On Nov 02, 2016
Okonjo-iweala’s Father Honoured In ghana

Professor Chukwuka Okonjo, Obi of Ogwashiukwu and NLC Trustee, on October 29 received the highest civil national award from the Government of Ghana.

The award was conferred on him by President John Dramani Mahama in recognition of his stellar and distinguished contributions to the country’s education system.

Mr. Okonjo, father of the two-time former Minister of Finance, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala of Nigeria, is a renowned mathematician and economist who worked for a long time in Ghana as a United Nations staff and later as a consultant to the Ghanaian Government.
He joined the United Nations System in 1974 as an official based in New York with his duty station at Accra, Ghana as the Director of the Regional Institute for Population Studies (RIPS) at the University of Ghana, Lego, Accra. He worked as a Professor of Economics at the University from 1974 to 1985 at a time the country was going through severe economic and political difficulties.

During that time, Mr. Okonjo installed the first African population information network popularly known as the Population Information and Documentation System for Africa (POSA) valued at $350,000.

He also created a 12 months Master of Arts (M.A) programs, 18 months Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) and 36 months Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) degrees in Population Studies at the University. Over 437 post graduate students successfully completed their studies under his leadership.
Professor Chukwuka Okonjo later left the United Nations in 1985 and worked as the Education Adviser to Ghana’s Minister of Education and Culture where he was instrumental in conceptualizing and implementing several reforms in the structure and organization of the minister.
Some of the reforms include reducing the length of pre-tertiary education from 17 to 12 years, increasing secondary school admission from 26,000 to 260,000 and growing primary school enrolment at a rate of 12 per cent per annum (twice the rate approved by the World Bank for Ghana).

In recognition of his outstanding contributions, Mr. Okonjo was accorded the National Service Award in June 1982 for the support he gave to the National Service Scheme of the Ghanaian Government.
Other renowned persons who also received the honours include Globacom Chairman, Mike Adenuga, Jr. and John Newman.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/214368-okonjo-iwealas-father-honoured-ghana.html

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by sarrki(m): 9:12pm On Nov 02, 2016
So she is from Ghana

Not in Nigeria

She don spoil Nigeria no one

Will honor her here

She wrecked the whole economy

But to enemies of Nigeria

They see her as hero

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by INTROVERT(f): 9:13pm On Nov 02, 2016
Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by gidgiddy: 9:16pm On Nov 02, 2016
Igwe Okonjo! The Obi of Ogwashi-uku. An Igbo son all Igbos should be proud of.

He was also known as Brigadier Okonjo who fought galantly for Biafra!

Dede, ekenem! Udo diri gi na ndi be gi!

135 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by INTROVERT(f): 9:17pm On Nov 02, 2016
sarrki:
So she is from Ghana

Not in Nigeria

Will honor her here

They see her as hero

Just a gentle remainder
I hope u know she is the major reason paris club world bank and IMF forgave our huge debts some years ago

168 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by sarrki(m): 9:17pm On Nov 02, 2016
[quote author=Afonjas post=50717249][/quote]

History will remember her as worst

Finance minister Nigeria and the whole world

Will ever produce

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by sarrki(m): 9:18pm On Nov 02, 2016
INTROVERT:

Just a gentle remainder
I hope u know she is the major reason paris club world bank and IMF forgave our huge debts some years ago

SHe even left us in more debt than the Paris club stuff

She's a total failure

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by hucienda: 9:19pm On Nov 02, 2016
Little wonder.

It runs in the family.

Stellar Excellence and Scholastic Profundity.

Like father, like daughter.

Congratulations Professor Okonjo.

129 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by Tunami(m): 9:20pm On Nov 02, 2016
INTROVERT:

Just a gentle remainder
don't mind the kid.

70 Likes 1 Share

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by sarrki(m): 9:23pm On Nov 02, 2016
Tunami:
don't mind the kid.

Face the topic acclaimed elder

Tell us the achievement of your said hero

It's just about she's from my side

Nothing to show for it

The worst Finance minister so ever

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by Tunami(m): 9:28pm On Nov 02, 2016
sarrki:

Face the topic acclaimed elder
Tell us the achievement of your said hero
It's just about she's from my side
Nothing to show for it
The worst Finance minister so ever
hey, awey, face front.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by MrObontami(m): 9:34pm On Nov 02, 2016
Congratulations sir. That's a honour well deserve.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by sarrki(m): 9:34pm On Nov 02, 2016
Tunami:
hey, awey, face front.

I can't bro

She messed up the whole system

Yet enemies of Nigeria call her super minister

She failed her father land

Shame on her and her followers

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 9:39pm On Nov 02, 2016
sarrki:

I can't bro
Your opinion doesn't matter

112 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by Nobody: 9:39pm On Nov 02, 2016
Igbo's Representing wink

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by Chipappii(m): 9:40pm On Nov 02, 2016
sarrki:

I can't bro

I used to think Gej, Noi messed up untill i saw buhari and his crew.

Gej gave Nigeria a mild headache, Buhari gave her ebola, hiv and even zombiesm...

112 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by Bifwoli: 9:40pm On Nov 02, 2016
Igbos and more Igbos achieving and being recognized all over the world.

Ojukwu,Okonjo ,Adichie ,Achebe ...and the list goes on.

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by gen2briz(m): 9:40pm On Nov 02, 2016
Ok
Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by Nasa28(m): 9:40pm On Nov 02, 2016
Nice one

2 Likes

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by gurunlocker: 9:40pm On Nov 02, 2016
sarrki:
So she is from Ghana

Not in Nigeria

Will honor her here

They see her as hero

Just read what you wrote.... 7 lines, nothing sensible.... You always write like 4-5 words for each sentence, no full stop or comma, are you also a dullard?

130 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by ubaobi: 9:41pm On Nov 02, 2016
All I see here are tribalists who are trying hard to paint NOI black. A star can never be hidden. It always shines bright. Have you ever wondered why we started our ill fated journey into recession immediately she left as finance Minister despite the fact that oil prices started falling as far back as 2013. Why inflation jumped from 9.2% to 17.4% (unheard of in the history of Nigeria). Funny enough, she warned as far back as 2012 that we would find ourselves where we are now and advocated for the creation of a sovereign wealth fund. A certain "child of God" governor and his cohorts frustrated all her efforts at saving for the rainy day. These same set of people frustrated the govt efforts at curbing wastage in the system E.g removal of fuel subsidy. It is very disgusting to see these same set of people criticizing NOI. Nepotism and tribalism have eaten so deep into the fabrics of our society. That's why we currently have a lot of unqualified elements running this circus show of an entity.

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by UnknownT: 9:42pm On Nov 02, 2016
Azungwu people of Ogwashi are of the opinion that prof. Okonjo "stole" the kingship from them . Congratulations Oka Mmuta Ukwu Okonjo

1 Like

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by freemanbubble: 9:42pm On Nov 02, 2016
instead of our youths to be happy about the accolade conferred on that great chukuwka. no, they are here again fighting tribal and regional war.
i pity this nation. am beginning to understand that Nigeria is more of a battle field between the north and south east. where the south west are pretending as if they are neither here nor there. but in reality they are taking sides with hausas and also taking advantage of the feud between the igbos and hausas.
na only God go save us oo. make my bsc show make i run leave this country enter libya.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by Sirrexninefour(m): 9:42pm On Nov 02, 2016
kiss

"Indeed Apples never fall far from their tree"!

Ọ bu ka osi me!

Ebé a ka ne kwụ nke nwata n'eme, anyị a marọ na Nna m mụrụ nwaanyị di Ọra nma bụ nukwu Enyị eji eje mba, Dike tozuru e tozu, O mere mbà Ghana wa anya, Ọ chiri ọzuo na ụlọ akwụkwọ ndị Ghana, O mewera gbuo na ala ndị Ghana na Amerịka. Nnam, aka mụ di ná elu o!

Cha Cha Cha Ụmụ Igbo kwenu!, rie nụ!! Zuo nụ!!!

Ọ ga dịrị anyị na nma o..... Ịse!!!!!!!!

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by Nobody: 9:43pm On Nov 02, 2016
sarrki:

SHe even left us in more debt than the Paris club stuff
She's a total failure

afonja spotted

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by AceRoyal: 9:43pm On Nov 02, 2016
sarrki:
So she is from Ghana

Not in Nigeria

Will honor her here

They see her as hero

Bro u need to calm down and read the article.
The hate in your heart might make u die of high BP soon if u don't work on it.
She wrecked the economy but Bubu and Kemi has made our economy one of the best in the world and the Naira even stronger than the pounds.
Go to bed,u need to sleep.

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by Henrolla(m): 9:43pm On Nov 02, 2016
Alright. it runs in the family.
the fruit didn't fall far away from the tree.

I guess his own father or mother also studied or practiced economics one way or the other.

Nigeria is a country that has her best brains in other countries doing wonders and the foolish people leading us here in the country.

#funnycountry

13 Likes

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by Tunami(m): 9:43pm On Nov 02, 2016
sarrki:

I can't bro

oga you're derailing the thread. Its about her father and not N0I.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by bot101(m): 9:44pm On Nov 02, 2016
sarrki:

I can't bro

A little assignment for your enlightenment, go to Wikipedia, type her name, then type the name of any Nigerian finance minister you think is better than her. Whatever you find, compare and contrast.

NB: i didn't do this before asking you to, but I am sure you'll be disappointed. wink

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by Nobody: 9:44pm On Nov 02, 2016
sarrki:
So she is from Ghana

Not in Nigeria
Will honor her here
They see her as hero

crap..kip showing ur stupidity online

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Professor Chukwuka Okonjo Honoured In ghana by scholes0(m): 9:44pm On Nov 02, 2016

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Police Use Helium For #changebeginswithme Campaign(photo) / Before Nigeria Goes The Way Of Rwanda By Dele Momodu / 2023: "Look Inwards Before You Judge Tinubu" - Tunde Bakare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.