Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,737 members, 7,802,219 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:14 AM

Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State (85554 Views)

Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene / Ehinoyi Of Ebira Palace: Okene King's Palace In Kogi State (Pictures) / The Igbo Speaking People Inter Relationship With Esans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by Drsheddy(m): 2:03pm On Nov 04, 2016
#proudlyDekinite
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by nigeriagospel(m): 2:04pm On Nov 04, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
Ohomorihi avohi
Adai ete meya

1 Like

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by Mujaheeeden: 2:05pm On Nov 04, 2016
Joavid:
really?? we understand that the Igala's are your brothers so take it easy.

Kogi is the only state bordering almost 5 states cos it situated right in the middle of Nigeria, so tell your Igbo communities to move back to Anambra and stop claiming another state. Edo people did not move from Edo to Kogi and claim it, Gwari people of Abuja didn't do it.

WTF is wrong with you people

you Igbos have issues I swear.
What is this one saying? Free internet has made you to lose every pint of sense in ur head

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by ianSweet(f): 2:06pm On Nov 04, 2016
@BigFrancis, There are no indigenous ethnic igbos in Kogi.
Many Igalas from southern igala speak Igbos as a second language and may share Igbo origins, but today, we are all Igalas by ethnicity.
There are also igala speakers in Enugu and Anambra and Igbo speakers with Igala origin in these states.

Sealeddeal:
What has Igbo cultural groups like Ohaneze ndiigbo done to bring recognition to those igbos in Benue,kogi,Akwaibom,and Cross river?
That's why I am supporting IPOB since they seems to be the only Igbo group giving recognition to igbos outside of SE.

8 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by melejo(m): 2:07pm On Nov 04, 2016
OP thank you. Very educative post. Nairaland Children will avoid this post like Ebola

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by WORLDPEACE(m): 2:07pm On Nov 04, 2016
oglalasioux:
Very educative post. Thanks, OP.

I'm particularly interested in the diversity of dialects in all languages. In Ebonyi State, for instance, there are more Igbo dialects than in all the Igbo speaking states.

I have come to the conclusion (speculative) that dialects suggest that other tribes joined the original tribes back in time and developed the dialects based on their original mother tongues.

The Ngbo people of Ebonyi State, in my opinion, are originally Idomas. Their dialect of the Igbo language is a pure intonation of the Idoma language. This is also true of the Nsukka people of Enugu state who speak Igbo with Igala intonation.

Most people don't know that the English language and German are 90% identical. Languages and dialects are pointers that the world is shaped by evolution.

Another factor responsible for the development of dialects apart from the mixing of tribes are the natural barriers that isolate identical groups from one another. Because of the minimal interaction this causes they overtime begin to develop separate identities from their relatives. The regions of Nigeria with the most natural barriers such as dense forests, high hills and mountains such as the plateau region, adamawa hills taraba, cross river basins have the highest diversity. What is the nature of ebonyi compared to other parts of Igbo land with respect to the aforementioned?

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by ianSweet(f): 2:07pm On Nov 04, 2016
How
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by haryomikun(m): 2:12pm On Nov 04, 2016
bigfrancis21:
While much is known about the Igbo-speaking communities outside the SE, such as in Benue state (the Umuezekaoha people numbering over 300 villages), in Delta State (the Aniomas), Rivers state (Obigbos, Eches etc.), Akwa Ibom etc., very little is know about the Igbo-speaking communities in Kogi state especially in Ibaji and Igalamela/Odolu LGAs such as the Eke Avurugo community (which speaks Igbo as first language and Igala as second language). Going through the list of Kogi communities found here: http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1249765/1645681001/name/Kogi+East+locailties+working+paper.doc,

one could find a handful of communities which strongly seem to be Igbo communities going by their names, despite the similarities between Igbo and Ibaji Igala names/words,: Ugwuebonyi, Ebokwe, Ozara, Amaeke, Amankpo, Amauwani camp, Amaokwu, Amadiefioha, Amaufulu, etc. all in Igalamela/Odolu LGA. The Odolu community in Igalamela/Odolu LGA is said to speak Igala as first language and the Nsukka Igbo dialect as second language. In Ibaji LGA, we can see some town names such as Nwajala,

http://www.themchub.com/intellectual-property-1/

tongue
Umuoye, Ubulie-Umueze which are, most definitely, Igbo community names. One obvious distinguishing factor between Igbo language and Igala is the lack of 'z' in Igala alphabet which is present in Igbo, which possibly rules out an Igala origin for some towns such as Ozara, Umueze etc.
Anyone residing in/close to these areas or living in Kogi to tell us what the situation is on ground?

PS: I have attached below snapshots from the document, highlighting the communities that strongly seem to be Igbo in origin. The ground is open for healthy discussion.

Hmmm
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by ianSweet(f): 2:15pm On Nov 04, 2016
Igboid:

Ette is not Igalla. It's a mix of Idoma- Igbo - Igalla in that order.

There are some communities like Igga in Enugu that trace their ancestry to Igalla though.

Ette is an Igala town with Idoma and Igbo migrants. The kingship titles and traditional rulers are in Igala.

Igga and i think Ogurugu towns in Enugu are of Igala origin, they are both billingual in igala and igbo, but because they are in Enugu, they seem to identify as Igbo, am not really sure.

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by mengho(m): 2:18pm On Nov 04, 2016
igbos trying hard to relate to some far off people, ok we get It, kogi is part of Biafra as Well, I think dats what you want right

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by murphyibiam15(m): 2:21pm On Nov 04, 2016
Igboid:

You are wrong. Ngbo people has no history of migrating from Idoma or being Idomas.

As for Nsukka area, their lands were invaded by Igalas, who affected their dialects a bit, but the Igalas amongst them had been assimilated into the dominant Igbo culture of the area.

And Ebonyi doesn't have more dialects than other Igbo states. Ebonyi rather seem to have lesser dialects, as groups there seem to be larger in size and landmass.

You are 100% correct....Ebonyi has by far the least dialect in Igbo states ....am from Ebonyi...u can see two LGAs in Ebonyi speaking same dialect eg is Ohaozara and Onicha LGA
Nxt is Afikpo-Edda-Amasiri-Uwanna-Apkoha-Enohia who speak an hear same "jokwa' dialects

Down to Ezza-izzi-ikwo who hear and speak same dialect

unlike in Enugu where same LGA like 'Udi' speak diferent dialect e.g Ngwo,UDI town, abor, egede, okpatu,eke all have different dialects

As for Anambra they have lost their dialects to central Igbo probably bc they have more trade involvement which involves using central igbo

10 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by LorDBolton(m): 2:21pm On Nov 04, 2016
Joavid:

Kogi is the only state bordering almost 5 states cos it situated right in the middle of Nigeria, so tell your Igbo communities to move back to Anambra and stop claiming another state. Edo people did not move from Edo to Kogi and claim it, Gwari people of Abuja didn't do it.
,o

you Igbos have issues for real.

Bro I only pity these people sha, they keep overstepping boundaries.

This is why I'm anti-migration, migrants will come cap-in-hand n humble seeking aid, trade or asylum but 3/4 generations later their offsprings will be forming "it's our land" lols

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by Xtopher123(m): 2:21pm On Nov 04, 2016
Joavid:

,o

you Igbos have issues for real.

I knew i was gonna find someone like you here.. You make the most noise but never contribute a thing.. And to think youre a lady also baffles me.. You wont open your eyes and read, youll rather go on spewing thrash around thinking youre making sense..

In Adekunle Gold's voice "Empty Barrel lo man Kpariwo" undecided

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by babyfaceafrica: 2:23pm On Nov 04, 2016
nigeriagospel:
Adai ete meya
Avo o....yna a se....wa da hi?
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by ianSweet(f): 2:26pm On Nov 04, 2016
bigfrancis21:

From my understanding, they bear Igbo native names, speak Igbo as native language, and also Igala as an addition. Just as we speak Pidgin in addition to English and our native languages.

Or would it make sense for them to bear Igbo names and speak Igala as first language? Remember that our african names have meanings and are given from the language one speaks as first language. Meaning that the people's first language is probably Igbo and Ibaji Igala is a second language.

No pls, they speak Igala as a first language and igbo as a second language. Although it varies among some individuals. Some speak igbo more. Some answer igala names, some answer igbo names. I have been to these places. I am from southern igala.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by Nobody: 2:28pm On Nov 04, 2016
LorDBolton:

Bro I only pity these people sha, they keep overstepping boundaries.

This is why I'm anti-migration, migrants will come cap-in-hand n humble seeking aid, trade or asylum but 3/4 generations later their offsprings will be forming "it's our land" lols

good someone understands.

If people from all states bordering Kogi come and settle in Kogi, then Kogi will be the state with highest minority groups.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by Nobody: 2:30pm On Nov 04, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Could these migrant Igbo farmers be a source of origin for many Ibaji Igalas? Ibaji Igalas we know have heavy Igbo influence on their dialect. It would not be ok to assume it was 'Igbo influence on Ibaji Igala'. There must have been some Igbo injections in the area to create a dilution of the dialect. What I find interesting in the course of studies in the southern Nigeria area is the reluctance to acknowledge any outward Igbo movements to other areas as founders or cohabitants of new towns, however in Igboland many a community wants to claim their founder came from outside the current Igbo linguistic zone.

Just thinking out loud.

how convenient for you to say that. but sorry, it's proven time and time again that it's the other way round.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by petsam11(m): 2:39pm On Nov 04, 2016
Oh Lord! Please, I beg of you anything that will bring all Igbo's from outside the south east (the south south and the North central/middle belt) together as one is what I pray for! #IgboNileBuOtu

14 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by Nobody: 2:40pm On Nov 04, 2016
oglalasioux:

I'm particularly interested in the diversity of dialects in all languages. In Ebonyi State, for instance, there are more Igbo dialects than in all the Igbo speaking states.

I have come to the conclusion (speculative) that dialects suggest that other tribes joined the original tribes back in time and developed the dialects based on their original mother tongues.

The Ngbo people of Ebonyi State, in my opinion, are originally Idomas. Their dialect of the Igbo language is a pure intonation of the Idoma language. This is also true of the Nsukka people of Enugu state who speak Igbo with Igala intonation.

Most people don't know that the English language and German are 90% identical. Languages and dialects are pointers that the world is shaped by evolution.

On the contrary, I believe based on the theory of genetics, genetic pool and evolution , that the area with the highest number of diversity is always the source. It's very possible that nsukka and ebonyi may be the source of the Igbo race as we know them today
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by oglalasioux(m): 2:44pm On Nov 04, 2016
Igboid:

You are wrong. Ngbo people has no history of migrating from Idoma or being Idomas.

As for Nsukka area, their lands were invaded by Igalas, who affected their dialects a bit, but the Igalas amongst them had been assimilated into the dominant Igbo culture of the area.

And Ebonyi doesn't have more dialects than other Igbo states. Ebonyi rather seem to have lesser dialects, as groups there seem to be larger in size and landmass.

In Ishielu LGA alone, you have Ezillo speaking a totally different dialect, Iyonu speaking another dialect. Nkalagu and Umuhali speak another version of the Nkanu dialect while Nkalaha and Obegu speak the Nsukka dialect. That's 4.

Then you have Izzi, Ezza, Ikwo and Ngbo/Izhia making 8 dialects. When you add Afikpo, Ivo and Ohaozara you have total of 11 dialects.

Note that I didn't add the non Igbo speaking parts of the State such as Effium, Ofurekpe, Ntezi, Okpoto and Amuda.

Enugu State has 5 dialects namely Nkanu, Awgu, Udi and Nsukka. Anambra has 3 dialects, Umunze, Onitsha and Aguleri (except the northern Igala speaking communities). Abia has 3, Isukwato, Ngwa and Arochukwu. Imo has 3, Mbaise, Owerri and Okigwe.

So no Igbo state has more dialects than Ebonyi state.

On your stance that Ngbo people are not related to the Idomas you may be right. I base my argument on the sound of their words and similarities in their names such as Agbo and Agala among others.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by LorDBolton(m): 2:45pm On Nov 04, 2016
Joavid:

good someone understands.

If people from all states bordering Kogi come and settle in Kogi, then Kogi will be the state with highest minority groups.

It's now a crime to be a polite & 'welcoming' people, I pity the yorubas they keep forming sophisticated allowing igbos settle in their main economic states (lag, ogun, oyo) instead of giving them the northern treatment once in a while so history will remember who owns the land lols

If we start talking about how onitsa is corrupted edo lingua onitse they will start raining invectives on me.

But tell them igbos founded lagos n watch as they reach for the vaseline.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by Afonjas: 2:48pm On Nov 04, 2016
okay
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by oglalasioux(m): 2:51pm On Nov 04, 2016
tobimillar:

On the contrary, I believe based on the theory of genetics, genetic pool and evolution , that the area with the highest number of diversity is always the source. It's very possible that nsukka and ebonyi may be the source of the Igbo race as we know them today

The Nsukka and most Ebonyi Igbos' culture and traditions are purely shaped by Tiv, Idoma and the Igala cultures and traditions. From masquerades to marriages and foods and burials.
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by Snapchat: 2:52pm On Nov 04, 2016
AkinPhysicist:
grin

This my brother sha grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by Snapchat: 2:57pm On Nov 04, 2016
Bolustic:
Op, what about the Igbo communities in Sokoto? They are over 500 villages grin grin grin

You are doing the stuff I will love to do, you are my "road model" grin grin grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by ottersberger(m): 3:02pm On Nov 04, 2016
oglalasioux:

Na lie!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

LILO OGUN IBILE FUN ITOJU,IWOSAN ATI ASEYORI / Oba Of Benin, Ewuaere, Arrives Abuja In His Rolls Royce And Private Jet / Blood Money: How Real Is It: Share Ur Stories.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.