Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,024 members, 7,807,012 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:35 AM

Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State - Culture (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State (85643 Views)

Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene / Ehinoyi Of Ebira Palace: Okene King's Palace In Kogi State (Pictures) / The Igbo Speaking People Inter Relationship With Esans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 12:01am On Jan 28, 2020
macof:

So English is the native tongue of an igbo man who speaks English better than igbo?

Or he just failed to learn his native language igbo as good as English due to social factors?

And to go more directly into your post :
reports about Ugbodu give the impression that the Olukumi dialect is still well preserved with people even addressing strangers with the dialect
Why should we take your word for it? What research have you conducted on the matter?

Logically speaking, if a Yoruba child learns English first as a child and Yoruba later as an adult, English is/was that child's native language and Yoruba a second language. Now if that child picks up Pidgin language as a teenager (as most Nigerians do) before Yoruba, Pidgin is her second language and Yoruba third language. Same applies to an Igbo or Bini child. Logic does not take into account emotions. It is what it is.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by darfay: 12:02am On Jan 28, 2020
bigfrancis21:

My Nigerian brothers lack reading comprehension. The very basic ability to read in-between the lines to understand what a paragraph is about makes many of us fail tests like TOEFL and GRE despite 'knowing how to speak English', or rather, Nigerian English. We argue with emotions, rather than logically.

I am very sure I covered this lady in question in my previous post where I mentioned a section of Ugbodu where the people are proudly Olukumi and bear Olukumi names. Or did I miss something? I forgot to add that they all tend to have Igbo surnames anyway, even those with Olukumi first names. I am sure this lady you met has an Igbo surname?

I have met 5 Delta Igbos from Olukumi before and they all spoke Igbo and had Igbo names. I had no sense they were Olukumi either because they could not speak it or did not speak it. I later found out they are from Ugbodu when I checked their Facebook profiles. Now this is true for majority of them. There are Ugbodu people who are more like the lady you met. I never doubted your experience and I validated it as well. However, your experience or meeting one person does not speak for the entire Ugbodu people who are thousands in number.

@bold....yea if that's what you prefer to believe.

Ok
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 12:09am On Jan 28, 2020
Ugbodu history has been revisited. Previously, it was 'a town founded by Akure settlers which later got invaded by Igbo speakers or adopted Igbo because of Igbo business men who migrated to the town to settle'.

Now, the revised history by the Ugbodus: it was an originally Igbo town where Yorubas from Akure settled.

History
There has always been igbos in ugbodu before the arrival of the warriors from Akure,sent by the then Oba of Benin wen he was in pursuit of the fleeing igbos from the Benin kingdom. Those warriors getting to ugbodu,settled....and called the igbos there "olukumi" meaning my friends because the people were peaceful and friendly and also ruled over them for some period of time before the the Edos took over and then the igbos took back kingship.The original tittle as used by the government for the king of of ugbodu is "OBI" ,you can confirm from just recently court case on the obiship stool. So ugbodu was an igbo town by inception hence the use of igbo language along side the yoruboid language(olukumi). You cant separate ugbodu from her igboness.

what I am saying is dat ndi igbo is part of the foundation of Ugbodu Kingdom and was never 100% yoruba origin and Anioma in general so when we are speaking of fore father's and birth right,that should be in mind too coz actually,the warriors were the ones who "came in" and settled ,meeting pre existing igbos . So one can decide to identify as onye igbo from Ugbodu in Anioma delta state and also those who feel they are Yorubas or olukumi can also identify as one.

The formulation and conscious deduction of this from history is more political,As those who know,know. Even the Obi stool but won't talk much on that for reasons. If you go to Ugbodu kingdom today and other Odinani (odiani) clans(Ukwunzu,Ugbodu,Ubulubu,ogodor,ugboba,idumuogo),you will observe and feel the igboness very much present.
9 . They have also participated in every activity in the Anioma Zone,for example,the Ekumeku war,which affected the whole of Anioma.

PRESENT DAY ODIANI CLAN
THE ODINANIS OF TODAY ARE FULL BLOODED NDI ANIOMAS AND BY EXTENSION MAKING THEM NDI IGBOS OF THE WEST. THE OBI OF UGBODU IS THE CHAIRMAN OF THE COUNCIL OF OBIS IN ANIOCHA. THEY ARE ABOUT THE OLDEST TOWN IN ANIOCHA NORTH LGA
ALTHOUGH SOME MAY CLAIM NOT TO BE WESTERN IGBOS,BUT THAT IS JUST AN EFFECT OF IDENTITY CRISIS WHICH THIS PAGE IS SET TO CORRECT.
THE UNIQUENESS OF THE UGBODU PEOPLE IS THAT THEY ARE BILINGUAL,SPEAKING BOTH THE ENUANI DIALECT AND OLUKUMI DIALECT WHICH THEY ARE TRYING TO PRESERVE. THIS IS ONE OF THE THINGS THAT MAKES ANIOMA RICH IN CULTURE AND HERITAGE.Aniocha North

http://ugboduanioma..com/2018/04/the-olukumiodiani-clan.html

For long, Igbo history has been told in reverse or from the viewpoint of the descendants of refugees who settled in Igboland many years ago (from Igala, Edo, Idoma, Yoruba lands etc) rather than from the standpoint of the aboriginals. More truth unfolding.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by macof(m): 12:44am On Jan 28, 2020
bigfrancis21:

Logically speaking, if a Yoruba child learns English first as a child and Yoruba later as an adult, English is/was that child's native language and Yoruba a second language. Now if that child picks up Pidgin language as a teenager (as most Nigerians do) before Yoruba, Pidgin is her second language and Yoruba third language. Same applies to an Igbo or Bini child. Logic does not take into account emotions. It is what it is.
sorry this is wrong.
At least based on the Nigerian system

First language remains the ethnic language not any foreign language regardless of the level of influence from said foreign language
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 12:48am On Jan 28, 2020
darfay:

the guy you quoted seems to be living in wonderland, i would have believed him if i hadn't met one of the people he was talking about. the language isn't as dead as he would make us believe

1 Like

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by Yujin(m): 2:41pm On Jan 28, 2020
darfay:

the guy you quoted seems to be living in wonderland, i would have believed him if i hadn't met one of the people he was talking about. the language isn't as dead as he would make us believe
He never claimed the language was dead. He stated that it is a second language now and it's dying which is true. I too have met one of them; actually a whole family and their names were all Igbo names. I only got to know about them because of my high curiosity otherwise, other neighbours and even my family members never knew anything about 'Olukumis'. So far, it appears the language is steadily on the decline and only Ugbodu still try to cling to it.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by RedboneSmith(m): 3:08pm On Jan 28, 2020
macof:
sorry this is wrong.
At least based on the Nigerian system

First language remains the ethnic language not any foreign language regardless of the level of influence from said foreign language

Actually, he is right. In my secondary school in Enugu, we had Igbo for L1 people and Igbo for L2 speakers.

L1 speakers are those for whom Igbo is a first language and L2 speakers are people for whom Igbo is a second language.

Those in the L2 Igbo class were still predominantly Igbo people, but who were raised outside the southeast and learnt another language (often English) before learning Igbo. Linguistically speaking, Igbo is their second language, and that was how the education system recognised them , even though they are ethnic Igbo.

That is technically the way it is, regardless of whether you are in Nigeria or America.

You can't logically say Igbo or Yoruba or Efik is the first language of a man who can't speak the language, just because he happens to belong to those groups by ethnic pedigree.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by macof(m): 3:46pm On Jan 28, 2020
RedboneSmith:

Actually, he is right. In my secondary school in Enugu, we had Igbo for L1 people and Igbo for L2 speakers.

L1 speakers are those for whom Igbo is a first language and L2 speakers are people for whom Igbo is a second language.

Those in the L2 Igbo class were still predominantly Igbo people, but who were raised outside the southeast and learnt another language (often English) before learning Igbo. Linguistically speaking, Igbo is their second language, and that was how the education system recognised them , even though they are ethnic Igbo.

That is technically the way it is, regardless of whether you are in Nigeria or America.

You can't logically say Igbo or Yoruba or Efik is the first language of a man who can't speak the language, just because he happens to belong to those groups by ethnic pedigree.

I am aware this is the system in many areas of the world where linguistic diversity and colonisation is less of an issue but as my impression has always been that in Nigeria if for example you are Igbo, Igbo is your native language no questions, a shift in this from one Nigerian language to another is an assimilation and adoption into another ethnicity

Your school experience is however interesting, we didn't have that in school and I remember helping out a few of my igbo friends with their Yoruba assignments because they started with almost no knowledge of yoruba
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by thrasy: 12:21am On Feb 10, 2020
Afonjas, Ugbodu is an Igbo aborigine community with Influence from Igala and Yoruba migrants. Same as Ebu which came under attack by Igala warriors and settlers.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by WhoRUDeceiving: 4:34pm On Feb 10, 2020
We are experiencing an African renaissance in which the emerging nation of Biafra will solidify as people from the same value system- Igala, Idoma, Efik, Igbo, Ijaw, Ibibio, etc., are now seeing what the British saw, that they are an able people.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpe-lGWH3AM

1 Like

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by hitmanogo: 5:52pm On Aug 18, 2020
Akpanya is a community under Igalamela/Odolu L.G.A of Kogi State. Being a border town between Kogi and Enugu States (Kogi is circled in blue in the map above), it’s so far away from its Local Government Secretariat which is located at Ajaka and very close to Igbesa South and Igbesa North Local Government areas in Enugu state. The community is made up of about 6000 Muslims, living in the Christian majority community – about 95% of the community are Ibos (Igbo and Hausa languages are commonly spoken). The Igbo Muslim community of Akpanya are not originally from the village, but made “hijrah” to the community after their ancestors converted to Islam. They have a very long history in the Akpanya community and are fully integrated into the community and its life.The Akpanya village is a very remote village that seem to enjoy nothing from the government in terms of provision of infrastructure- no good roads, no drinking water, no electricity, no good schools and no hospitals.

These Igbo Muslims of Akpanya have for time immemorial been mainly petty traders except for few among the younger generation now that are drivers in different companies and organizations, they survive on little, yet they tasked themselves to work extra for the purpose of making sure that their faith is maintained by building a Mosque which is used up to today as their one and only Central Mosque.
#Copied

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by mabea: 8:31am On Aug 19, 2020
murphyibiam15:

You are 100% correct....Ebonyi has by far the least dialect in Igbo states ....am from Ebonyi...u can see two LGAs in Ebonyi speaking same dialect eg is Ohaozara and Onicha LGA
Nxt is Afikpo-Edda-Amasiri-Uwanna-Apkoha-Enohia who speak an hear same "jokwa' dialects

Down to Ezza-izzi-ikwo who hear and speak same dialect

unlike in Enugu where same LGA like 'Udi' speak diferent dialect e.g Ngwo,UDI town, abor, egede, okpatu,eke all have different dialects

As for Anambra they have lost their dialects to central Igbo probably bc they have more trade involvement which involves using central igbo
I think Ivo and ohazara speak the same/similar dialect

1 Like

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by AreaFada2: 6:39pm On Aug 19, 2020
oglalasioux:
Very educative post. Thanks, OP.

I'm particularly interested in the diversity of dialects in all languages. In Ebonyi State, for instance, there are more Igbo dialects than in all the Igbo speaking states.

I have come to the conclusion (speculative) that dialects suggest that other tribes joined the original tribes back in time and developed the dialects based on their original mother tongues.

The Ngbo people of Ebonyi State, in my opinion, are originally Idomas. Their dialect of the Igbo language is a pure intonation of the Idoma language. This is also true of the Nsukka people of Enugu state who speak Igbo with Igala intonation.

Most people don't know that the English language and German are 90% identical. Languages and dialects are pointers that the world is shaped by evolution.

English is in fact a Germanic Language. Just like Frisian, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, etc.

Movement of people create new dialects that over time can evolve into different but related languages in some cases.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by Bonaventura(m): 2:40pm On Oct 27, 2021
Igboid:

You are wrong. Ngbo people has no history of migrating from Idoma or being Idomas.

As for Nsukka area, their lands were invaded by Igalas, who affected their dialects a bit, but the Igalas amongst them had been assimilated into the dominant Igbo culture of the area.

And Ebonyi doesn't have more dialects than other Igbo states. Ebonyi rather seem to have lesser dialects, as groups there seem to be larger in size and landmass.

Ebonyi has more than 20 different Igbo dialects
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by Olu317(m): 9:03am On Oct 28, 2021
thrasy:
Afonjas, Ugbodu is an Igbo aborigine community with Influence from Igala and Yoruba migrants. Same as Ebu which came under attack by Igala warriors and settlers.
How is Olukumi Ibo language ? What does Oluku means in Ibo language ? Wallahi some of you Ibo people are just weird grin cheesy angry.

For your information, Olukumi language is still intact even if some words becomes loaned from Ibo language and still intelligible with other dialects within Edekiri. And I am sure Edekiri is a word which has no link with Ibo language. Below Screenshot speaks more about it.

Cheers

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

LILO OGUN IBILE FUN ITOJU,IWOSAN ATI ASEYORI / Oba Of Benin, Ewuaere, Arrives Abuja In His Rolls Royce And Private Jet / Blood Money: How Real Is It: Share Ur Stories.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.