Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,387 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:20 AM

You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car (19333 Views)

Useful Tips That Will Make Your Hybrid Car Last When Followed / Toyota To Share Its Patented Hybrid Car Tech With Other Automakers / Now, You've Gotten A Hybrid Car. What Next? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by TRYGO(m): 12:16am On Nov 03, 2016
I identifying a hybrid car, shouldn't be all that different, or strange.
Most of the car brands today in the hybrid market, have one thing or the other that have set them apart as leaders in their various fields.
It should not be difficult for you to spot a hybrid car, that has just gone pass you down the street, or on the road.
For instance, this information would only be based on Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive.
Toyota calls its hybrid system, HSD, meaning it derives it's motion from a combination of either the internal combustion engine, or the electric motors attached to its CVT(continuous variable transmission).

HOW DO YOU IDENTITY A HYBRID?

* Toyota uses its hybrid logo, positioned at the passenger side front end, and on the rear of the car.

* You notice when the car passes by you when driven, you hardly hear any noise. Though thus varies according to the speed demand ad at that time. If for instance, the ECU (engine control unit) determines that the vehicle demands more speed and torque, the computer commands either both the engine and the electric motors to be in synchronization when driving. But if it(computer) decides less torque might be needed, the electric motors would be ones to keep running.

*You hardly see any emissions coming out if the tail pipe. However, emissions level could be visible, if only the internal combustion aspect of the system is ON.
The reason being that the buy products of fuel combustion is usually CO2, and others.

*It has two batteries positioned at the rear.
The small one is usually a 12Volt's battery, which powers the electronics of the car. Electronics such as radios and the rest.
The other battery, commonly called a hybrid battery or a traction battery, has a nominal voltage of 244.8volts(thus is for a Camry hybrid, 2008).
The voltages of batteries varies from one Toyota hybrid to the other, according to the number of cells a the battery pack.
Such batteries have the capability to electrocute one to death. So, please if you are not a qualified hybrid technician, it's advisable you stay away from hybrid cars.

*At the hood(bonnet), you have what's called an inverter/converter assembly. It resembles a conventional battery somewhat. Its positioned where your normally battery would be at the front.
The inverter/assembly system inverts and converts the hybrid battery's voltage from 244.8 to almost more than twice the nominal voltage, needed to power the electric motors that drive the car.

*Presence of ORANGE cables routed from the battery through to the front. The cables are equivalent to carriers of high tension voltages on our normal transmission lines on the street. I mean when touched carelessly, can electrocute someone. This cables are connected to your car's electric Ac system, and water pump.

*The radiator coolant and the inverter coolants are separated differently.

* Power steering is electrically driven, and has a separate ECU for its operation. You don't see power steering fluids, and spills anywhere in the engine compartment.

*The transmission is superb. It houses the two electric motors responsible for driving the car electrically, and charging the hybrid battery.
The transmission is a variable continuous one, meaning, when you drive, the engagement is not felt as the normal traditional automatics, where you feel the selections as the transmission selects.
The transmission also uses a special transmission fluid called Toyota's World Standard fluid. Any other fluids, would KILL the transmission system.

*The braking systems are bled differently. You can bleed the front brakes as a normal conventional car, while the rear, requires special softwares for its operation. The rear brakes are operated by the brake actuator, and if proper tools aren't used for the bleeding process, it would take ages to be able to bleed the air out of the rear brake system because of accumulated air bubbles.

*A READY indicator comes on, when the hybrid is being started.

*No READY indicator light ON, indicates the car is not ON.
*Please do not assume a hybrid vehicle is OFF, simply because there isn't any sound coming from the bonnet area. As long as the READY indicator comes ON, the car is already in the Drive mode.
Remember. Hybrid cars don't have kick starters, and alternators.

With this piece, you shouldn't find it difficult differentiating between a hybrid and a normal car, when you encounter one.

PS: The last picture is a picture of a Camry hybrid battery I worked on some weeks ago. Carrying out voltage tests to identify some bad modules.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by TeGaTeGa1(m): 12:20am On Nov 03, 2016
i see you,,,nice piece

3 Likes

Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by TRYGO(m): 12:23am On Nov 03, 2016
@TEGA!!!!!? How far na? Men, I'm just trying to educate lot of folks out there, whose got dome myths about hybrid cars, and how people could differentiate them from conventional cars.

Hope you're OK!?
Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by Kjnwancaro: 6:58am On Nov 03, 2016
Thanks really, very nice piece

2 Likes

Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by Whizpeter(m): 7:56am On Nov 03, 2016
Lemme go and read!

MODIFIED!!

Nice one OP... Before now, I didn't know that those hybrid batteries had such amount of volts in them!! I for just dey touch any battery wey I see anywhere!!

Thank you for the Info!

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by TRYGO(m): 8:04am On Nov 03, 2016
@wancaro. Thanks for the commendation!!!!

@whizpeter. You need am o!
You must be extremely careful with any hybrid vehicle.
If you've got no formal trainings in electronics handling, its better you allow professionals to help you sort things out.
But you know say you funny so, whizpeters? Emmmm, "lemme go read am".
Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by nurey(m): 11:33pm On Nov 03, 2016
I need to touch a hybrid battery with my bare hands what's the worst that can happen

Peter parker was bitten by spider, turned spiderman

Clark Kent absorbs yellow sun and becomes indestructible

NUREY touch hybrid ba3 and becomes electric man

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by TRYGO(m): 4:38am On Nov 04, 2016
@nurey. You are such a funny fellow. Touching the hybrids outer casing(the pack) does nothing. But emmmm, if your hand gets close to the ORANGE cables in the pack, without you having gloves on, you're looking to be "indestructible". I don't want that for now to be adduced to my write up o!
How you de na?
Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by nurey(m): 7:46am On Nov 04, 2016
TRYGO:
@nurey. You are such a funny fellow. Touching the hybrids outer casing(the pack) does nothing. But emmmm, if your hand gets close to the ORANGE cables in the pack, without you having gloves on, you're looking to be "indestructible". I don't want that for now to be adduced to my write up o!
How you de na?

Am fine ooo brother.

1 Like

Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by Nobody: 4:27pm On Nov 05, 2016
Please what's special about them?
Do they travel faster or have better life span?
Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by TRYGO(m): 8:23pm On Nov 05, 2016
@paperlace
Don't get what you mean by "transfer faster".
For the "special" about them, they're are environmentally friendly (less emissions, and noise); you save more on fuel consumptions in such a way that, for instance, when you're driving in town, or coming to a traffic stop, the internal consumption engine is shut off, by the car's ECU, and the electric motor(s) begins to operate at that period. At that sane time also, you've what's called REGENERATIVE Braking. This means as you slow down, or apply the brakes at every stop, the motor generator recharges the hybrid battery. Remember hybrid cars don't have ALTERNATORS AND STARTERS. If you do a comparison of the fuel consumption rate between a conventional car, you'll realise that at every GO, the conventional car(petrol) only, is running, while the hybrid is already on electric mode, thereby saving tremendous amounts of fuel.

If you're talking about speed, consider for example, a Toyota corolla 2009/10, and a Prius hybrid. Both have the same engine type(1NR). Both of them have the sane engine capacity. They can be used for journeys. But for the hybrid, it has an added advantage in which the electric motors adds more torque to the engine. This is because, at that mode, the ECU of the car, combines both source of power(petrol and electric motors).

NB:/Embarking in such journeys, ensure your cars battery is at full capacity and in good condition. Because failure to do so, entails you have to be prepared for sleeping in a hotel. Because if it breaks down, no mechanic might be able to fix it.

**They last longer? Well, from my experience, and the research have done online, hybrid cars, especially Toyota brands last longer even than their conventional counterparts because of its ability to switch from one drive mode to the other. They don't engage in all drive situation like the other non hybrid vehicles. So, the mileage, in my view, would be less. But the problem is if you want to get more out of a hybrid vehicle, be prepared to invest in the battery, just in case you'd have a failure.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by veekid(m): 6:37am On Nov 06, 2016
What about analogue car?
Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by tolexy123: 6:42am On Nov 06, 2016
what about analohybrid?
Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by hernandson(m): 6:43am On Nov 06, 2016
hybrid car,aiit
Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by lonelydora: 6:43am On Nov 06, 2016
The first point is the only point to identify a HSD car.

Just pray the battery no die for your hand ooooo

1 Like

Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by angelTI(f): 6:44am On Nov 06, 2016
What is a hybrid car?

1 Like

Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by BackToLife: 6:44am On Nov 06, 2016
Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by Nobody: 6:45am On Nov 06, 2016
smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by Nobody: 6:46am On Nov 06, 2016
angelTI:
What is a hybrid car?

A vehicle that uses both hydrocarbon and other alternative sources of energy for propulsion.

6 Likes

Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by EternalBeing: 6:47am On Nov 06, 2016
Rehearsing what the world would fall back on when Oil finally dries up.
Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by Zaikon(m): 6:47am On Nov 06, 2016
.From Pms qualms to Electrical qualms.
Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by spako4(m): 6:49am On Nov 06, 2016
Thanks
Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by McCarlito(m): 6:51am On Nov 06, 2016
@ trygo Do the 2015 Toyota avalon have a hybrid model?
Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by gbaskiboy: 6:51am On Nov 06, 2016
Both Hybrid and non Hybrid, make baba God just give me one make i dey cruise for my area gentley... aabi who no wan better thing for life

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by SurePresident: 6:52am On Nov 06, 2016
Hybrids are previews of the future Cars.

5 Likes

Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by Exponental(m): 6:52am On Nov 06, 2016
do we have hybrid experts in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by dragnet: 6:56am On Nov 06, 2016
a car that can electrocute shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by emymeeky: 6:56am On Nov 06, 2016
@ trygo . You mentioned hybrid cars don't use alternators. What then charges the batteries when the engine is running?
Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by sonety2k(m): 7:03am On Nov 06, 2016
cool
Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by mu2sa2: 7:10am On Nov 06, 2016
unclezuma:

A vehicle that uses both hydrocarbon and other alternative sources of energy for propulsion.
Still very technical for a lay man to grasp. I would answer the question like this: A vehicle that runs on petrol or diesel and can also run without using petrol or diesel but using battery or solar power.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by Rrankdonga(m): 7:13am On Nov 06, 2016
Exponental:
do we have hybrid experts in Nigeria?
we do, very good ones at that
Re: You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car by kingreign(m): 7:14am On Nov 06, 2016
Open bonnet, when you see orange cable (which is more dangerous than a Viper, mamba and and inland taipan venoms combined), you'd know its a TCH, TPH or THH.

(1) (2) (Reply)

7 Most Recycled Car Parts / Driver Rams Into Bus Stop In Lagos. See Photos / Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.